• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

On the one hand, this feels tailor-made for toys, since there's a lot of parts you can move around and pose. On the other hand, it seems like they'd be pretty clunky and awkward to play with, with parts spiraling out all over the place.

I'm actually seriously considering getting some Valvrave 1/144 model kits later this year simply because the designs look like they're going to be really challenging to put together. Lol. >_<

Look at this shit:

QELqX1M.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
That's what I mean though. Usagi would defeat the flower, purifying Fiore and he disappears so he's no longer on the meteoroid which removes any threat. Now they would use Sailor Teleport to transport themselves safely back to Earth and the meteoroid would just break up and disintegrate in the Earths atmosphere like it does in the movie anyway instead of them risking their lives trying to ride it out.
Wait, are you saying that instead of doing what they do in the movie, they should do what they did in the movie just slightly different?
They had to stay to take care of Fiore and the Kisenian, and then they could leave, which is what they did.

wonzo

Banned
There's a difference between casting due to similar character traits and casting as part of a whole character reference. For example, now that I think about it, I believe there were some characters in one of the first two Hayate no Gotoku seasons that were all straight parodies of characters from other series, voiced by their respective actors.

Ahh, I see what you mean.

Jex

[Valvrave] - 6

This show man. This god damn show. Saki is the best, etc etc but that mecha is really ugly.

fertygo

Valverave 06

Why shit so cray.. chick got power from twitter, bwahahaha

I don't like the green mech design, bring out the blue.

I'm actually seriously considering getting some Valvrave 1/144 model kits later this year simply because the designs look like they're going to be really challenging to put together. Lol. >_<

Look at this shit:

I feel like the base frame is okay, but then they just kept adding crazy stuff on top to distinguish each model from each other. The end result is tacky. I'd prefer a more stripped-down, sleek design, where the different models are given more fundamental makeovers compared to each other while adhering to the basic concept. When I watched Patlabor: the Movie, I was struck by how the Type Zero was developed off of the Ingram, clearly based on the same general police robot concept but given careful, subtle changes all over its body to show both the technological progress of a newer model and a more menacing, dangerous character. Now that's good mecha design.

Although if the Valvraves are supposed to be machines from aliens, having alien design sense would be appropriate...

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Night Raid 1931 - 10

Something tells me I don't think Aoi or the others can trust Sakurai as much anymore
(referring to Aoi as a "useful pawn" to his face? dick.)
but I don't know what choices they really have.

So we have some backstory on Aoi, Kazura, and Yukina, but I'm still surprised how little we no about Natsume as a character.

Despite the now strained tensions between Aoi and Kazura, it's good to things getting patched up and our team back together at more or less full strength and working together. And more spy action, about time. This really when the show shines.

Is Isao bluffing or not about the bomb? It's so hard to tell. He's hard to tell if he's even that bad. He's such luring, sympathetic villain, if that. I don't even know. And even Kazura is thinking that! Shit, so much for patched up relations. That "honor" and "warrior spirit" of Kazura is going to get him into a fucking pickle with Isao, mark my words.

ARgA1x2.png

"just kidding, this dude is totally evil if you didn't know"

Narag

@articalys: Was hoping TVTropes would have something along the lines of what you wanted so braved those dark halls myself. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ActorAllusion/AnimeAndManga has some funny examples along the lines of the Hayate stuff you mentioned but also has a lot of one-off VA jokes in other roles. You might be able to find some of what you're looking for therein or maybe not. All I know is the Keroro Gunsou/Evangelion thing listed was hilarious.

CorvoSol

Kiddy Grade 2

So I can't lie. The art style in this show is NOT my cup of tea. Every time I look at Lumiere, I can't help but think about her eyes being too far apart, and how her get up is odd for a little girl to be wearing. That said, I'm not taking the show SUPER serious, and I'm giving it a chance to click with me. It has some fun moments already, such as the hilarious :chet that occurs whenever Eclair's outfits change before the audience's eyes, and an interesting premise, what with a trade department having to do police work in space and all. It's not exactly the sort of show I would go looking to watch myself, but it may yet prove of interest to me. It seems to be doing its own thing and enjoying itself, which I'd say is worth it.

Also, Lumiere and her relationship with the ship's computer reminds me of Martian Successor Nadesico's Ruri Hoshino, and her relationship with the Nadesico's computer, Omoikane.

Nafe

Wait, are you saying that instead of doing what they do in the movie, they should do what they did in the movie just slightly different?
They had to stay to take care of Fiore and the Kisenian, and then they could leave, which is what they did.

Maybe it's me forgetting the specifics of the movie but
I thought they defeated the flower girl which purifies Fiore and completely removes the kisenian threat. Fiore then kind of disappears and isn't there before even the whole crumbling of the meteoroid. I seem to recall him meeting with Mamoru after almost as if they were kind of removed from time and space. That way he's not there and the meteoroid burning up is of no danger to him either. The whole riding out the meteoroid and the drama around that just seems pointless when all they have to then is just teleport(as the flower girl and kisenian threat are already defeated and Fiore is safe) and they'd be perfectly safe and not have to worry about anything.

The drama still works as far as creating a more emotional ending but it just seems that if you want to be technical about it then it's not really necessary either.

Hidamari Sketch 1

After holding this off since February (or March, whichever one), finally popped this in for a spin, and I get the feeling this is something I should watch in moderation (I don't know if Yuru Yuri was one of those that should be watched in moderation but eh), we're dealing with the Squariest Girls that done ever squared along with cuteness.

It certainly has the signature of a SHAFT anime to say the least. Please take good care of me.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Toei is like my second favourite studio according to MAL or something. You don't get here without being a little bit :wonzo.

MALgraph says I've completed 60 different Toei productions and yet they're 215th down on my list of favorite studios :lol It's definitely the fault of all the shitty DBZ, One Piece, Sailor Moon, and Precure movies dragging down my scores for the series themselves.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Maybe it's me forgetting the specifics of the movie...
Doh, me too. I see what you mean now.
They pretty much accomplish their goals before Usagi goes Serenity-mode, basically leaving only the question of whether they did have enough strength left to teleport or not despite the crew having enough to support Usagi.

Oh well!

duckroll

I feel like the base frame is okay, but then they just kept adding crazy stuff on top to distinguish each model from each other. The end result is tacky. I'd prefer a more stripped-down, sleek design, where the different models are given more fundamental makeovers compared to each other while adhering to the basic concept. When I watched Patlabor: the Movie, I was struck by how the Type Zero was developed off of the Ingram, clearly based on the same general police robot concept but given careful, subtle changes all over its body to show both the technological progress of a newer model and a more menacing, dangerous character. Now that's good mecha design.

Although if the Valvraves are supposed to be machines from aliens, having alien design sense would be appropriate...

I see Valvrave as a successor to stuff like Geass and SEED in terms of engineering design though. They're clearly meant to be colorful and striking in appearance with a lot of gimmicks and attachments which make them look like fun toys for kids. The only bad thing about the Valvrave designs is really that they're so busy it falls into parody territory... but maybe that's intentional? Idk... lol.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
MALgraph says I've completed 60 different Toei productions and yet they're 215th down on my list of favorite studios :lol It's definitely the fault of all the shitty DBZ, One Piece, Sailor Moon, and Precure movies dragging down my scores for the series themselves.
I think the problem is that MALgraph doesn't take dropped shows when ranking studios. I drop a lot of shows all the time without ever bothering to score them.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think the problem is that MALgraph doesn't take dropped shows when ranking studios. I drop a lot of shows all the time without ever bothering to score them.

I don't rate dropped shows either unless something about the show is so deeply offensive to me that I need to mark it a 1 as an outlet for my impotent rage (actually, I think Sankarea is the only example of this in my list so far.) Perhaps I should mark all of my dropped shows 1 regardless of my actual feelings on them so that they evenly impact the weighting for my favorite studios.

For the record, MALgraph says my favorite studio is SHAFT. I have no fucking clue how this happened, although according to MAL I've completed 31 of their works and the only two marked below a five are Maria+Holic Alive and Sasami-san@Ganbaranai. The shocking truth of my bad taste revealed.

Just look at this sexy body:

That elegant design with merely the simplest of protrusions, those streamlined curves, the aggressively pointed head, the sharp fingers. This is a real mecha.

Berserker, is that you?

Gah! I was unaware that Mad Pierrot sent me a friend request on MAL. Well that was situated.

The hell is a MALgraph?

mal.oko.im

Learn the horrifying secrets about your tastes buried within your MAL and those of your friends.

cajunator

Banned
Gah! I was unaware that Mad Pierrot sent me a friend request on MAL. Well that was situated.

The hell is a MALgraph?

MALGraph is a site that works with MyanimeList profiles to graph all the particulars of genre preference, ratings, favorite eras, favorite studios, etc.

I don't rate dropped shows either unless something about the show is so deeply offensive to me that I need to mark it a 1 as an outlet for my impotent rage (actually, I think Sankarea is the only example of this in my list so far.) Perhaps I should mark all of my dropped shows 1 regardless of my actual feelings on them so that they evenly impact the weighting for my favorite studios.

For the record, MALgraph says my favorite studio is SHAFT. I have no fucking clue how this happened, although according to MAL I've completed 31 of their works and the only two marked below a five are Maria+Holic Alive and Sasami-san@Ganbaranai. The shocking truth of my bad taste revealed.

I would say you actually have pretty good taste if you like SHAFT shows :D
Also I think I have only given two shows a 1 and those were Eiken and Sword Art Online.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I would say you actually have pretty good taste if you like SHAFT shows :D
Also I think I have only given two shows a 1 and those were Eiken and Sword Art Online.

Any chance of getting you to watch Apocalypse Zero? It's only two episodes.

MALgraph says my favorite studio is Sunrise. That Gintama weight.

And then a bunch of other studios related to Sunrise and Gintama.

Toei's next probably due to Digimon followed by Brain Base.

I also like Historical, Samurais, Demons, Sci-fi and Slice of Life in that order.

CorvoSol

Majestic Prince 7

Oh damn, I have to admit, this episode actually got me to laugh, not once, but TWICE. First when the guy's teeth gleam, and second when the pit crew shows up and flexes. Not bad, I say, for once, not bad at all. The 5 heads even acted somewhat independently, and I enjoyed Izuru learning a bit about the pros and cons of families.

It was also interesting to see and learn about the Vulgar a bit more. Even if Busty McBoobs doesn't look any different from the Busty McBoobs mechanic, and they have my least favorite anime character trope ever: the psycho little kid who is an insanely good killer. Yay.

Still, for once, not a tepid episode at all.

Oh man that Equestria Girls stuff is here too? That show jumped the shark with the season 2 finale but this movie is just beating a dead pony Hasbro. I came for Lauren Faust and I should've left with Lauren Faust.

Totally going to hatewatch this.

Forget the ugliness, how the hell did they manage to make it look even cheaper than the original?
Not like the target audience particularly cares about animation quality, so why spend extra money?

Believe it or not the original show clearly had some effort put into it, it may not mean much to you guys but it is one of the most well animated flash shows ever made. Not as well made as Gravity Falls mind you but I may be a little biased.

Clearly Pinkie Pie is the best pony, lets get that out of the way.

What? It's totally Fluttershy, she gets all the best punchlines and has better chemistry with the other characters.

How have I gone so long without seeing this masterpiece?!

Armored Hunter Mellowlink 5-12

I've been watching this on and off but was never compelled to marathon it until episode 10. I'm a sucker for a good rival but unfortunately the boss fights during the build up of the rival got less interesting. Luckily the payoff was worth it, that fight with Major Boil was fantastic. Him and
Lt. Cardine
are probably the only named opponents I'll remember. I was concerned a bit when
a save the princess
plot came about but luckily it didn't distract too much from the core of the show. I'm not usually a fan of moody soft spoken protagonists but here it guaranteed that there weren't any drawn out battles of philosophy during fights or mid combat speculation. All in all a rather good show that I think should've spawned a fantastic video game. I mean ever episode was already a different level and a new boss, would've been so easy, oh well.

trejo

Valvrave DYRL 6

Yeah, this Rukino chick definitely ain't right in the head. I'm liking her more already!

IDOL CULTURE is fine and all but this show needs more Eru Erufu, stat.

Hataraku Maou-sams 07
2OiP5LY.gif

This girl right here

There's obviously way more to her. The way they framed her dialogue with Emi was pretty clever.

Chiho continues to be the best girl.

Valvrave 06
Wow, did not expect Saki to go full on crazy. She was totally throwing up death flags all over the place.

She very quickly made me dislike her. So disappointed.

trejo

Believe it or not the original show clearly had some effort put into it, it may not mean much to you guys but it is one of the most well animated flash shows ever made. Not as well made as Gravity Falls mind you but I may be a little biased.

Wakfu looks leagues better to me as far as flash animation goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom