• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Kiddy Grade 2

So I can't lie. The art style in this show is NOT my cup of tea. Every time I look at Lumiere, I can't help but think about her eyes being too far apart, and how her get up is odd for a little girl to be wearing. That said, I'm not taking the show SUPER serious, and I'm giving it a chance to click with me. It has some fun moments already, such as the hilarious :chet that occurs whenever Eclair's outfits change before the audience's eyes, and an interesting premise, what with a trade department having to do police work in space and all. It's not exactly the sort of show I would go looking to watch myself, but it may yet prove of interest to me. It seems to be doing its own thing and enjoying itself, which I'd say is worth it.

Also, Lumiere and her relationship with the ship's computer reminds me of Martian Successor Nadesico's Ruri Hoshino, and her relationship with the Nadesico's computer, Omoikane.

The art style is certainly unique. the box eye look takes some getting used to (also used in Uta Kata). As for Lumiere's outfit, I agree with you its actually a bit risqué considering how young she is, but its also rather elegant and I think it fits her character. This show takes a bit of time to get going (its gonzo remember?) but once it does, it becomes a bit of a sociopolitical story with all kinds of corruption and backstabbing going on at GOTT, as you might suspect. Things are not as they seem.

Oh man that Equestria Girls stuff is here too? That show jumped the shark with the season 2 finale but this movie is just beating a dead pony Hasbro. I came for Lauren Faust and I should've left with Lauren Faust.

Totally going to hatewatch this.

Believe it or not the original show clearly had some effort put into it, it may not mean much to you guys but it is one of the most well animated flash shows ever made. Not as well made as Gravity Falls mind you but I may be a little biased.

What? It's totally Fluttershy, she gets all the best punchlines and has better chemistry with the other characters.

How have I gone so long without seeing this masterpiece?!

Armored Hunter Mellowlink 5-12

I've been watching this on and off but was never compelled to marathon it until episode 10. I'm a sucker for a good rival but unfortunately the boss fights during the build up of the rival got less interesting. Luckily the payoff was worth it, that fight with Major Boil was fantastic. Him and
Lt. Cardine
are probably the only named opponents I'll remember. I was concerned a bit when
a save the princess
plot came about but luckily it didn't distract too much from the core of the show. I'm not usually a fan of moody soft spoken protagonists but here it guaranteed that there weren't any drawn out battles of philosophy during fights or mid combat speculation. All in all a rather good show that I think should've spawned a fantastic video game. I mean ever episode was already a different level and a new boss, would've been so easy, oh well.

Who can fuck with a guy who hunted VOTOMs with a outdated anti tank rifle?

Man, I have a policy of never attaching a score to anything I critique but because of that Malgraph thinks my favorite studio is Sunrise and Bones because of Gintama and FMA. meanwhile Shaft is 27 even though I have 22 complete entries for Shaft! Bah, I'm tempted to give Shaft straight tens to correct this. That or sit through their only super long shows, Attacker You! and Eto Ranger. :/

Articalys

Yet another reason to hate the fact that I'm not going to Anime Expo: it doesn't seem to have been announced yet on their main page, but according to the English site for The Garden of Words, Makoto Shinkai is their next guest of honor and will present the debut of the film's English dub, along with a Q&A panel and VIP autograph event.

CorvoSol

The art style is certainly unique. the box eye look takes some getting used to (also used in Uta Kata). As for Lumiere's outfit, I agree with you its actually a bit risqué considering how young she is, but its also rather elegant and I think it fits her character. This show takes a bit of time to get going (its gonzo remember?) but once it does, it becomes a bit of a sociopolitical story with all kinds of corruption and backstabbing going on at GOTT, as you might suspect. Things are not as they seem.

Like I said, I have hope for it. It hasn't been BAD, just taking time getting to know it.

Valvrave 6

I feel like I'm halfway there, guys. I've realized this show is absolutely insane and that taking it seriously is wrong. That there is no reason to be upset that Rukino's big problem is she wasn't famous enough or the slightly more important abusive home life, but I haven't quite crossed over into sheer enjoyment of the absurdity. Probably because Q-Vier was in this episode and ruined the moment. Desil was a bad enough character in Gundam AGE, must he be in this, too?

But I'm nearly there. I mean, even the absurdly slutty cheer outfits had me smirking. Soon, so very soon I will embrace the Valvrave.

Or I'll come to hate the show.

cajunator

Banned
Like I said, I have hope for it. It hasn't been BAD, just taking time getting to know it.

Valvrave 6

I feel like I'm halfway there, guys. I've realized this show is absolutely insane and that taking it seriously is wrong. That there is no reason to be upset that Rukino's big problem is she wasn't famous enough or the slightly more important abusive home life, but I haven't quite crossed over into sheer enjoyment of the absurdity. Probably because Q-Vier was in this episode and ruined the moment. Desil was a bad enough character in Gundam AGE, must he be in this, too?

But I'm nearly there. I mean, even the absurdly slutty cheer outfits had me smirking. Soon, so very soon I will embrace the Valvrave.

Or I'll come to hate the show.

One of my friends had to sell a bunch of anime to make ends meet but he loves Kiddy Grade so much he hasn't the heart to sell it. Its a really fun series and very colorful and exciting. There are much worse uses of your time.

CorvoSol

One of my friends had to sell a bunch of anime to make ends meet but he loves Kiddy Grade so much he hasn't the heart to sell it. Its a really fun series and very colorful and exciting. There are much worse uses of your time.

True, I could be rewatching Gundam 00, or trying to finish Rah Incestphon.

Wakfu looks leagues better to me as far as flash animation goes.

But doesn't that show use a ton of 3D models? Surely AnimeGAF can appreciate the semi-purity of never resorting to that.

The musical was the best thing about season 2.

But none of it was as memorable as winter wrap up or the grand galloping gala. A musical would've been great if it wasn't tied to such a contrived finale. Lesson Zero and the time travel episode definitely trump the musical IMO.

But none of it was as memorable as winter wrap up or the grand galloping gala. A musical would've been great if it wasn't tied to such a contrived finale. Lesson Zero and the time travel episode definitely trump the musical IMO.

Well the S2 Musical certainly wasn't the S3 Musical. ECK

cajunator

Banned
True, I could be rewatching Gundam 00, or trying to finish Rah Incestphon.

Hopefully youll enjoy Kiddy Grade much more than those.
It starts out a little slow. Around episode 9 or 10 it gets on the plot track and then its full steam ahead, so stick with the first few episodes, as they are kind of standalone missions that Éclair and Lumiere go on.

Dresden

hataraku maou-sama - 07

Hey, this was pretty fun.

At this point you just have to accept that the characters are locked into their LN niches and they'll never progress past that, though. It's hard to develop anything when there are no consequences for any actions they take, or have taken. There's some interesting stuff that can be done with the premise, but it doesn't look like they'll ever deal with them--the ramifications for doing so are too destabilizing to the premise of the romcom aspects to ever happen.

And I'm sorry, Chihobros, but her whole gimmick at this point is to crush on Maou, and to be insecure and jealous of other girls. That's all she'll ever amount to. It's like how Emi is Biribiri and Kimono is just off being the best girl.

cajunator

Banned
hataraku maou-sama - 07

At this point you just have to accept that the characters are locked into their LN niches and they'll never progress past that, though. It's hard to develop anything when there are no consequences for any actions they take, or have taken. There's some interesting stuff that can be done with the premise, but it doesn't look like they'll ever deal with them--the ramifications for doing so are too destabilizing to the premise of the romcom aspects to ever happen.

And I'm sorry, Chihobros, but her whole gimmick at this point is to crush on Maou, and to be insecure and jealous of other girls. That's all she'll ever amount to. It's like how Emi is Biribiri and Kimono is just off being the best girl.

Best girls usually don't win.
Chiho wont win but shes best girl for many reasons.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh man that Equestria Girls stuff is here too? That show jumped the shark with the season 2 finale...

It was Season 3 where it jumped the shark. Was so weak.
Nah, you're both wrong. S2 finale was good, so you're off your rocker, Falafel, and S3 just slid into a pool of suck with only a few gasps of air. Opening a transformative portal to a human world? Now THAT'S jumping the shark.

Jintor

hataraku maou-sama - 07

Sounds like it'll be fun entertainment for a season and I'm cool with that

I haven't seen season 2 or 3. how well do they hold up to the original? Are they on youtube or some official channel?

Season 2 is certainly worth watching, but there's very few notable episodes worth watching in Season 3. The finale felt rather rushed as it tried to shove a fuckton of things into one episode.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Jojo's Bizarre Adventure] (2000) 6
3Hxs7sFl.jpg
This is starting to look more like the Jojo I'm familiar with, except that the problem with that show was the lack of animation and not so much the bad art. Yikes.

Jotaro sucks. For the eponymous character, he sure hasn't done shit since episode two. This OVA series hits the horror/gore mood very well, although I have to say I'm not a fan of this more serious Jojo. It's just missing the flamboyancy to accompany the ridiculousness. I can see why some people prefer David Production's approach.

[Jojo's Bizarre Adventure] (2000) 6

This is starting to look more like the Jojo I'm familiar with, except that the problem with that show was the lack of animation and not so much the bad art. Yikes.

Jotaro sucks. For the eponymous character, he sure hasn't done shit since episode two. This OVA series hits the horror/gore mood very well, although I have to say I'm not a fan of this more serious Jojo. It's just missing the flamboyancy to accompany the ridiculousness. I can see why some people prefer David Production's approach.

What the fuck is that!?

Skipping Jojo OVAs must've been a great idea in hindsight.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
What the fuck is that!?

Skipping Jojo OVAs must've been a great idea in hindsight.
To be fair it's only this episode and the previous one that have looked bad. The animation is gorgeous when they actually care, not to mention I haven't reached Mitsuo Iso and Satoshi Kon yet!

To be fair it's only this episode and the previous one that have looked bad. The animation is gorgeous when they actually care, not to mention I haven't reached Mitsuo Iso and Satoshi Kon yet!

I'm still holding my stance on whether I should just leave it on the ground or just eat it.

wonzo

Banned
Isn't that just for the '93 OVA's or am I merely just confused here.

Nah, you're both wrong. S2 finale was good, so you're off your rocker, Falafel, and S3 just slid into a pool of suck with only a few gasps of air. Opening a transformative portal to a human world? Now THAT'S jumping the shark.

If not liking the abrupt appearance of
a brother
and a soap opera plot that plays it straight rather than silly is off my rocker than I doubt I ever want to be on it.

Not really. Not in the way that, say, Duckroll's glorious CG future would imply, at least.

Here's more or less what the show looks like, btw.

Man, I should really watch Wakfu. I blame the game for making me not do that sooner.

/XX/

Indeed! You know, Arasan working on a Mr. Ōbari opening is something I wish to be seeing more frequently, like he did recently:

爆獣合神ジグルハゼル ZIGURUHAZERU - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3CPK8P8bjvU#t=84s

Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt: Episode 1
What in the holy hell was that.
That was amazing. I think.
I watched it twice, subbed and dubbed. I don't know which was better. Stocking sounds familiar in JP.

Just...I...good god. This show. What.
Episode 2 of Panty and Stocking was just as crazy.
I'm in love.
Excellent! Preparing for the 'IMAISHIPOCALYPSE', I see...

I used to watch a lot of anime but sometime around 2008 I just stopped. I think I just overloaded myself and between school and work I think Code Geass 2 was just the final straw for me. However, recently I have decided that its been long enough and have decided to get back to it. I'll watch pretty much anything but like in particular sci-fi. Since 2008 what series would you guys say are good watches? Like I said just things that are good doesn't matter the genre.

Also, why are seasons only 12 episodes now? And where do you guys watch shows?

In Warhammer 40K, there are a lot of different races with their own back stories. The Imperium of Man is the future of humanity in the 40K universe. They're kinda shit heads but the Imperium is more or less the default group. They're horrible, but are they worse than the Necrons or the Orcs? Idk.

here's a crash course (specifically on the Imperium): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MeVxKZBOfM

Oh Hey something on this thread I can actually comment on. That's a terrible explanation that misses out on a lot of nuance while barely explaining anything or even the refrence. If you want a better explanation just ask me.

cajunator

Banned
I used to watch a lot of anime but sometime around 2008 I just stopped. I think I just overloaded myself and between school and work I think Code Geass 2 was just the final straw for me. However, recently I have decided that its been long enough and have decided to get back to it. I'll watch pretty much anything but like in particular sci-fi. Since 2008 what series would you guys say are good watches? Like I said just things that are good doesn't matter the genre.

Oh Hey something on this thread I can actually comment on. That's a terrible explanation that misses out on a lot of nuance while barely explaining anything or even the refrence. If you want a better explanation just ask me.

Steins;Gate!!!
You can watch things on crunchyroll, funimation, hulu, Netflix, or buy from places online like rightstuf or robs anime corner.

CorvoSol

I'm actually watching Geass for the first time now. Also, if you haven't seen it, I recommend The Big O, Full Metal Panic! and never watching anything related to Gundam ever again. Unless it's G Gundam, which is good.

trejo

Man, I should really watch Wakfu. I blame the game for making me not do that sooner.

I didn't even know there was a game at first lol.

The reason I got interested in the franchise initially was because of a special episode Maasaki Yuasa was involved with, which is pretty great, btw.

NeonZ

Lelouch wanted what happened to happen, right from the start. He's a cold, craven person. No way he "couldn't catch up to her" as she ran down that hall. We can't even say its because he isn't athletic, because EUPHEMIA WAS IN GODDAMN HEELS. Lelouch had every advantage and every opportunity to stop her, abduct her, and save her. Instead he let it all happen because he wanted it to.

Although it's kind of ridiculous, doesn't she push him out of her way in that scene? Also, considering some of your other comments, you seem to be assuming that after a while the Geass would fade out, but it wouldn't work like that at all.
If she saw Suzaku after receiving Lelouch's command, she'd attempt to kill him. She would push for killing the Japanese through other means even if distant from them. The Geass would stay active even if the person who gave the command died. Every time Japanese became relevant to her somehow, she'd attempt to kill them. She was basically destroyed as a person due to that Geass command.

wonzo

Banned
Aikatsu! 31

aikatsu31.jpg

This was a nice little mothers day episode, even if there still isn't any red-haired first year in sight. I do wonder if any of the idols actually get paid for their work considering
Ichigo's mothers past and the fact that their dad's constantly halfway around the world for work. You'd think she'd have earned a fuckload of money on royalties alone.

They should have had the mangaka do the piece. That looks like a bad photoshop job
lol, do you want it to look even worse??

CorvoSol

Although it's kind of ridiculous, doesn't she push him out of her way in that scene? Also, considering some of your other comments, you seem to be assuming that after a while the Geass would fade out, but it wouldn't work like that at all.
If she saw Suzaku after receiving Lelouch's command, she'd attempt to kill him. She would push for killing the Japanese through other means even if distant from them. The Geass would stay active even if the person who gave the command died. Every time Japanese became relevant to her somehow, she'd attempt to kill them.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm implying the Geass would fade out, I'm not. She'd be unable to be near some people, I suppose, but when I talk about preventing what happened in that moment, I mostly mean saving her from that moment. To be sure, he ruined her life, but it wasn't like he didn't want to is all I'm saying, and it wasn't like the horror that followed that moment could not have been prevented by him.

On the other hand,
she DID fight that Geass to her dying breath, so maybe she COULD have beaten it with time, had Lelouch saved her, which he COULD have done, since when all of it began, she was ON THE GROUND. He stood there, let her get up and have a head start when he could have prevented what was happening. And if the killing had been truly merciful, he'd have done it before she ruined herself. His plan required a martyr, after all. It didn't have to be him, and it didn't have to be the many people she killed at his command.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 47

Seriously, he stole the G Defenser AGAIN.

GOD DAMMIT. I remember when this was a good show, and I've just sunk down into depression. If Tomino's goal was to make me as angry as Bright and depressed as Char, mission accomplished. Because watching Katz do this EVERY EPISODE is just painful.

After some certified New Type Hijinks, though, the battle between Haman Khan and Kamille became pretty freaking awesome. The action in the show is good, but the haphazard and repetitive plot is what weighs me down. Kamile, Bright, and Emma feel like the only characters who have grown over the course of the series, unless we count Char's wavering between being a cool guy and a cold-hearted jerkass as growth. Meanwhile, schlubs like Fa and Katz and Sarah just drag the show down like albatrosses. The show also has a bad habit of making jumps between episodes where things don't get accurately explained, almost like there's something missing between them.

So I don't know, the characters who are good are good, the ones who aren't, aren't. The plot is good when it is, and when it isn't, it sucks ass. Action is good, and so's the animation. First act I loved, but I feel like, everything after Kamile gets the Zeta is just not as good, which is funny, because the Zeta is totally a boss Gundam.

And Lt. Emma is still the best girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom