• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Third, though, is that Lelouch wanted to ruin Euphemia and be a hero and he DID want to kill her, all the way back in the hotel. Oh sure, he cried after the fact, but can you even be certain that he's crying for her? I don't think he is. Not Lelouch. He's crying because things didn't go down the way he wanted. When he kills her, all he says to himself is "you may have been the first girl I ever loved." He didn't spare a single thought to her passing, and I do not regard using her the way he did and then profiting from the absolute violation of all his sister had striven for "the least" he "could do" for her.

He did it because he wanted it done, and it was conveniently laid out for him. He'd already demonstrated wanting each and every aspect of what happened in episode 22 prior to what actually did happen. As to whether or not he always wanted destruction, I disagree with that, too. Lelouch talks a big talk about bringing down the system and making a better world and such, but that isn't what this is about. This is about killing the King of Quaker Oats because
daddy didn't acknowledge him when he was little, and because he can't accept the fact that DADDY KILLED MOMMY and didn't give a damn about HIM.
This isn't about anything BUT revenge, and it isn't about anyone BUT Lelouch. He's a vile, petty, slimy, selfish person, and it explains every move he has made thus far, right down to
wiping Shirley's memories of him, which I'm sure he found very noble, even if it was the stupidest move ever.

Lelouch is the villain, through and through.

Lelouch's "ends justify the means" attitude would make him the villain in most things. But I think the events here show that while it's a stance he wants to take, he's not so emotionally dead that he can do all this stuff with a clear conscience. That might become more obvious as the end of the first season plays out.

It's a hamfisted metaphor, but Lelouch sees his actions as Zero as analogous to his chess match. In chess, the only metric worth anything is whether an action brings you closer to trapping your opponent's king, while keeping your king safe. There's no room for emotion, and pieces ought to be sacrificed for the "greater good" of victory. His initial plan in Episode 22, on a strictly intellectual level, is just another part of that. Things spiral out of his control, but even as he tries to turn it to his advantage, he also discovers that there are sacrifices he can't make so easily. However, he isn't given a choice (
sparing Euphemia would not have ended well for anyone
). He's reached a point where it's too late to turn back.

Trust me, when Lelouch disposes of a piece in his life for purely selfish reasons when things aren't going according to plan, he's not very subtle about how he feels.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 48

I think at this point it is safe to say that Cyber New Types are the new Mobile Armors: that is, expensive, worthless and ineffective weapons. Like seriously, these things always lose. Also I agree with Fa for once that nothing going on made a lot of sense. But at least the episode's subplot about preventing a meteor from crashing into the moon made sense. Oh well, it isn't like people haven't dropped crap on the moon already.

I need to sleep, so I'll finish this show tomorrow.

EDIT: I have to disagree that
sparing Euphemia would not have ended well for anyone
. It would not have ended well for HIM and that's what mattered most to HIM because HE is all that matters in his sick little game. What happened in that episode was precisely what he had wanted at various points leading up to it, and when it was all handed him on a silver platter, he made only the weakest of gestures that he did not want to see
his sister's life ruined
before using it to get what he wanted, precisely in the way he had planned.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure that
commanding her to kill all Japanese/
was an accident. It probably was, but it can't be denied that it gave him exactly what he wanted, either:
Euphemia dead, public opinion in his pocket and complete control over the Rebellion.
And while we might say "What sort of life would it have been?" I don't think it's fair or merciful that she died, and beyond that, as I've already said, she could have been stopped prior to it, and if a merciful kill was what he wanted, he ought to have put her down then, when she was still, you know, entirely at his mercy on the ground.

Articalys

New staff and cast for Unbreakable Machine Doll:

Director: Kinji Yoshimoto (Genshiken 2, Queen's Blade 2)
Series Composition: Yuuko Kakihara (Persona 4 The Animation, Chihayafuru 2)
Character Design: Atsuko Watanabe (Ebiten, Acchi Kocchi)
Animation Production: Lerche (Carnival Phantasm)

The remaining four seiyuu from a past drama CD for the series (Megumi Takamoto, Jouji Nakata, Kana Asumi, Nobuhiko Okamoto) retain their roles along with previously announced leads Hiro Shimono and Hitomi Harada. Also joining the cast with unspecified roles so far are a pretty big-name list: Shizuka Itou, Yui Ogura, Yuuki Ono, Yuuki Kaji, Ai Kayano, Takahiro Sakurai, Risa Taneda, Asuka Nishi, Mamiko Noto, Kana Hanazawa, and Yukana.

Also just noticed it's going to air in the Fall season.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Yep! Toru Furuya, best known for being Amuro Ray in the Gundam series, voices Tooru Amuro in Detective Conan.

tumblr_m9luwqCVJL1qbzw5lo1_400.jpg

Heh, that's awesome! I should have paid more attention to the seiyuu performing the role. :eek:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Fate / Zero Episodes 1-3

I didn't watch this when it first came out. I watched the Fate/Stay Night Anime a couple of years ago and watched UBW last year. I still have yet to play the games.

It is obvious first and foremost that this series has more care put into it than most other anime that air on TV. I'd say the production values reach close to what an animated movie would likely had.

The part where Tohsaka and the Judge were circling Kirei made me lol.

So the Holy Grail isn't God's Holy Grail? Where do you come up with this? Are you going to even explain this conclusion so that it makes sense to the viewer? They made it seem like a surprise that this time it wasn't God's Holy Grail.

Why is everything centered in Japan? Don't answer that question. I just find it amusing. We have the Holy Grail in Japan and two of the three main families are obviously Japanese, with the one family somehow centered in Europe.

WTF at the Matou family.

Where are the Einzbern's even supposed to be located? Germany or Russia?

I'm assuming magic and the magic school shown in the Clock Tower are all still hidden to the public? The class Waver was in looked like an average college scene.

Also don't ship your Macedonian Relics via Fedex.

Well Sniping is one way to take out a Mage.

Bad CG Car :Duckroll

I knew that was going to happen in the Caster scene, but the fuck?

So Gen Urobuchi wrote the game and anime. Did Nasu have any involvement in the story at all. It seems weird to have a different author write a prequel to your work.

This Holy Grail War seems a whole lot more organized than the one several years later in Fate/Stay Night. Were relics even involved in that one? I don't remember them needing them.

Also a general question from Fate Stay/Night Spoilers: Were we ever told which
hero Rin summoned during the first Holy Grail War, the one before Emiya wished to come back as a Heroic Spirit?

I didn't see this, so I'm assuming I'm either blind or I missed it.

Gainax is finally releasing a storyboard collection for Gunbuster. Been waiting for forever for them to finally throw this out there.

http://gainax.co.jp/company/news/0432.html

If this is anything like the Groundwork books that collect key frames from Gainax productions, this is probably going to be fucking awesome. It's going to be 768 pages of Gunbuster storyboards. Comes out toward the bottom half of June and will run you 3,150 yen. Trust me, it's totally worth it if you're a fan of this kind of thing.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. The Groundwork books are key frame collections, not storyboards. DUH.

So Gen Urobuchi wrote the game and anime. Did Nasu have any involvement in the story at all. It seems weird to have a different author write a prequel to your work.

Just a heads up: Fate/Zero was never a game. It was a series of novels.

Articalys

Gainax is finally releasing a storyboard collection for Gunbuster. Been waiting for forever for them to finally throw this out there.

If any of you peeps have ever purchased one of these, you'll know that they're fucking awesome. This one is going to be 768 pages of Gunbuster storyboards. Comes out toward the bottom half of June and will run you 3,150 yen. Trust me, it's totally worth it if you're a fan of this kind of thing. I have books for Gurren Lagann and the Rebuild films, and they're fantastic.
You didn't miss anything; looks like they only put the news up an hour ago.

How does the page count compare to the other storyboard collections you have?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

If any of you peeps have ever purchased one of these, you'll know that they're fucking awesome. This one is going to be 768 pages of Gunbuster storyboards. Comes out toward the bottom half of June and will run you 3,150 yen. Trust me, it's totally worth it if you're a fan of this kind of thing. I have books for Gurren Lagann and the Rebuild films, and they're fantastic.
Time to get a job.

So the Holy Grail isn't God's Holy Grail? Where do you come up with this? Are you going to even explain this conclusion so that it makes sense to the viewer? They made it seem like a surprise that this time it wasn't God's Holy Grail.
It's a cup that grants wishes so they call it a Holy Grail, it just has no connection to Christianity.

Where are the Einzbern's even supposed to be located? Germany or Russia?
Von Einzbern is clearly meant to be a German name.

I'm assuming magic and the magic school shown in the Clock Tower are all still hidden to the public? The class Waver was in looked like an average college scene.
It's Hidden

Also a general question from Fate Stay/Night Spoilers: Were we ever told which
hero Rin summoned during the first Holy Grail War, the one before Emiya wished to come back as a Heroic Spirit?

Do you mean
when Emiya was still human and alive? We don't know anything about that.

You didn't miss anything; looks like they only put the news up an hour ago.

How does the page count compare to the other storyboard collections you have?

Ah, my mistake. The Groundwork books aren't storyboard collections. Derp. They're key frame collections. Hahaha. Though if it's anything like them, it'll be neat. For reference, part 1 of the Eva 2.0 key frame collection is 328 pages.

Trojita

Do you mean
when Emiya was still human and alive? We don't know anything about that.
The first Emiya Shirou. The one before he became Archer. So we don't know who was Rin's Heroic Spirit in that one? I assume you mean while he was still human and alive to reference him later becoming Archer? That's the Emiya we are both talking about right? Emiya Shirou the MC is still alive right?

DiGiKerot

Fate / Zero Episodes 1-3

This Holy Grail War seems a whole lot more organized than the one several years later in Fate/Stay Night. Were relics even involved in that one? I don't remember them needing them.

IIRC, Relics aren't necessary, but sway your chances of getting a specific hero significantly - a couple of characters in F/SN actually inadvertently use Relics without specifically knowing.
I mean, Rin had in her possession, during her summoning, the medallion she tapped for mana when reconstructing Shiro's heart after he got attacked by Lancer. Whilst the timeline on that stuff becomes muddled in terms of the order of events, that medallion technically had become a relic associated with Shiro, swinging the probability of who she summoned

The first Emiya Shirou. The one before he became Archer. So we don't know who was Rin's Heroic Spirit in that one? I assume you mean while he was still human and alive to reference him later becoming Archer? That's the Emiya we are both talking about right? Emiya Shirou the MC is still alive right?

Time doesn't really mean much to The Grail -
the only Servant Rin ever summons is a possible future incarnation of Shiro

Trojita

IIRC, Relics aren't necessary, but sway your chances of getting a specific hero significantly - a couple of characters in F/SN actually inadvertently use Relics without specifically knowing.
I mean, Rin had in her possession, during her summoning, the medallion she tapped for mana when reconstructing Shiro's heart after he got attacked by Lancer. Whilst the timeline on that stuff becomes muddled in terms of the order of events, that medallion technically had become a relic associated with Shiro, swinging the probability of who she summoned

Oh yeah that makes sense then. Didn't Shirou summon Saber in a storage area or something? Maybe the scabbard was left there by Kitsurugi.

Yes, we're talking about the same thing.
The Emiya Shirou that would eventually become Archer, we don't know much about what happened in his life, including the identity of whoever Rin's servant was. Maybe it was the same Archer even then, servants exist outside of time.

Oh yeah that makes sense then. Didn't Shirou summon Saber in a storage area or something? Maybe the scabbard was left there by Kitsurugi.
Yes, Shirou summons Saber because he has the scabbard Avalon.

Taruranto

The "Holy Grail" is just one big cup of Mana created by the 3 families
using the Servants killed into the war as a source of energy.

Further details are spoilers, though if you watched FSN you should know them already.

mAcOdIn

hataraku maou-sama - 07

Hey, this was pretty fun.

At this point you just have to accept that the characters are locked into their LN niches and they'll never progress past that, though. It's hard to develop anything when there are no consequences for any actions they take, or have taken. There's some interesting stuff that can be done with the premise, but it doesn't look like they'll ever deal with them--the ramifications for doing so are too destabilizing to the premise of the romcom aspects to ever happen.
I don't think that's true, I think they actually could pull of their past actions if they established why the demons were at war with the humans, it doesn't necessarily have to be the Demon's fault.
And I'm sorry, Chihobros, but her whole gimmick at this point is to crush on Maou, and to be insecure and jealous of other girls. That's all she'll ever amount to.
Chiho's fine like that because she's just that. I know I generally pick the stronger girls but I guess I should say that, you know, being a normal girl is better than being a failure at being a self-titled Hero. This is one of those things, how do you put it, that, sure, Chiho doesn't have magical powers and wasn't brought into the fold as a child to learn how to wield said powers and fight demons, but, if Chiho was born with special magical powers(this isn't even a point for Emi because whoopie, she was born with it, this is like being born rich or some shit, yay her I guess?) and Chiho had been trained as a child to fight do you think she'd be near as lame as Emi?
It's like how Emi is Biribiri and Kimono is just off being the best girl.
Lol, Emi is Misaka but she's older so the act's not as cute anymore.
Best girls usually don't win.
Chiho wont win but shes best girl for many reasons.
Right, even if she "loses" she's still the best girl.
Pfft. Melissa Mao and Sousuke Sagara is totes gonna happen.
Haha, I so approve of this.
Sounds like it'll be fun entertainment for a season and I'm cool with that
I know earlier someone was griping over what could have been with this show and I get that, but, to me it's kind of like Ben-to, it's still a good show, it's not the best show ever and it wont touch on some fancy shit but if you're entertained for 30 minutes that's great! Better than watching Majestic Prince or The Voice.

jgminto

Chiho's fine like that because she's just that. I know I generally pick the stronger girls but I guess I should say that, you know, being a normal girl is better than being a failure at being a self-titled Hero. This is one of those things, how do you put it, that, sure, Chiho doesn't have magical powers and wasn't brought into the fold as a child to learn how to wield said powers and fight demons, but, if Chiho was born with special magical powers(this isn't even a point for Emi because whoopie, she was born with it, this is like being born rich or some shit, yay her I guess?) and Chiho had been trained as a child to fight do you think she'd be near as lame as Emi?

She's strong at heart. Didn't back down against Emi and she won't back down against Kimono girl. While Emi just acts Tsun and gets flustered over the smallest things.

cajunator

Banned
Agreed.
Chiho is the best because she doesnt have the advantage of a heroic former life or remnan t magic.
she hold her own all by herself.
not to mention she works fast food like a BOSS.
plus cute (and boobs I guess)

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I used to watch a lot of anime but sometime around 2008 I just stopped. I think I just overloaded myself and between school and work I think Code Geass 2 was just the final straw for me. However, recently I have decided that its been long enough and have decided to get back to it. I'll watch pretty much anything but like in particular sci-fi. Since 2008 what series would you guys say are good watches? Like I said just things that are good doesn't matter the genre.

Also, why are seasons only 12 episodes now? And where do you guys watch shows?

Oh Hey something on this thread I can actually comment on. That's a terrible explanation that misses out on a lot of nuance while barely explaining anything or even the refrence. If you want a better explanation just ask me.

Sorry I'm not big into warhammer I was just trying to help :/

/XX/

Finally a re-release, and in a edition comparable to the one made for Aim for the Top 2! Diebuster. The previous compilation has been discontinued for nearly 8 years, and it was originally triple the cost of this new one!

Now I remember where I saw first the books being sold as individual products:

Gunbuster | HobbyLink Japan
http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist?...&set=1&GenreCode2=boo&z=GenreCode2&Maker2=GNX

Sorry I'm not big into warhammer I was just trying to help :/

Sorry it's just that that explanation leaves out a lot of good stuff (like all of the back story that isn't the IoM's, the Alien races, or even any idea of what the world itself is). I've seen people link to it before and it gives off a radically different expectation as to what the world is like than it really is and as a result have seen people get turned off by it. Like I said before If you have any questions about the series just ask me. I'm practically a walking encyclopedia about the universe. And if I don't know I can usually find someone who does.

Also any other recs?

wsippel

Banned
I don't think that's true, I think they actually could pull of their past actions if they established why the demons were at war with the humans, it doesn't necessarily have to be the Demon's fault.
I believe they do that in the LN. In fact, as far as I know, it happened pretty early in the story (at least partially), but that part was omitted in the anime for some reason.

This is second hand information, but as far as I remember,
Maou explains that there was a rather brutal civil war amongst demons, and he managed to end the war by uniting them in a war against the humans, which he believed were just lower creatures - essentially mere parasites. He had never actually seen a human, let alone talked to one, at that point.
Well, at least that's what I've read somewhere.

Ojamajo Doremi - 1

Well I knew I had to do this sooner or later, if I wanted to repair the damage to the many hearts I caused back when I called this the worst Magical Girl show I ever saw.

But now I'm watching the untainted subbed version with fresh eyes, and honestly, I have little to no complaints. Everything that 4Kids did to the show is now gone, meaning no obnoxious voice acting, no obnoxious yelling, and everything stays in check. Hopefully I'll still feel this way during the next few episodes.

Tenumi

Banned
Future Diary: 18

Ok, Yuno is justified for being crazy.
Nobody could take that kind of treatment from their parents and not be expected to snap
. Actually a little sympathy here.

So now both of Yukki's parents are dead. He's full on into the Diary Owners' war and has a powerful, devoted ally in Yuno. This should be fun.

Theonik

Ojamajo Doremi - 1

Well I knew I had to do this sooner or later, if I wanted to repair the damage to the many hearts I caused back when I called this the worst Magical Girl show I ever saw.

But now I'm watching the untainted subbed version with fresh eyes, and honestly, I have little to no complaints. Everything that 4Kids did to the show is now gone, meaning no obnoxious voice acting, no obnoxious yelling, and everything stays in check. Hopefully I'll still feel this way during the next few episodes.
iTlDMapZ3lzHW.png

cajunator

Banned
Future Diary: 18

Ok, Yuno is justified for being crazy.
Nobody could take that kind of treatment from their parents and not be expected to snap
. Actually a little sympathy here.

So now both of Yukki's parents are dead. He's full on into the Diary Owners' war and has a powerful, devoted ally in Yuno. This should be fun.

Isnt she adorable?
For a crazy murderer I mean.

jbug617

Banned
Valvrave 6

What is going on.
A selfish idol wants all the attention so she gets a mech also. Also taking control of the other person body led to pretty good moments
Found it funny when they
show her getting slapped by the man thus giving her the will to live. It was so random

Honestly never knew this show was about
Vampires

fertygo

The Big O 7-8

What a great show, I can see this show as my top favorite in the end.

But I sneak peak to 2nd season episode and looked there's art quality downgrade :(
Its looked fantastic so far in S1.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Maou-sama 7

Emi pantsu, hnnnnnng.

Best girl forever.

Also, anyone getting a bit worried by the symbolism in the ED? I'm hoping it's nothing and I'm just reading way too far into it, but...I dunno. I just hope they don't pull any stupid BS at the end of the series.

Andrew J.

foremost, Lelouch COULD have stopped her. That's the most damning thing here. There's no reason a physically fit (and in spite of not being athletic, he IS fit) young man could not catch up to a woman running in HIGH HEELS and train, especially since Euphemia isn't trained to run in high heels.

There's a certain scene in R2 that might make you change your mind about that.

Dresden

It's not going anywhere, lol. It'll get glossed over like everything else in this show. I think excusing their culpability somehow is also the worst thing they could do.

Look, I don't mind the show being 'just' a silly romcom, it's just that their character arcs are so tied up into the backstory that as long as that remains unresolved, the romcom stuff will never get going, either. We see this happening with Emi, it's happening with Chiho, and it'll happen with any new character it introduces, because the status quo is what allows the whole thing to happen. And a show that never moves forward is one that's doomed to be unsatisfying.

And if we're going into real talk territory, all the girls suck! The best character/husbando is Alsiel and it's not even a contest.

Jotaro sucks. For the eponymous character, he sure hasn't done shit since episode two. This OVA series hits the horror/gore mood very well, although I have to say I'm not a fan of this more serious Jojo. It's just missing the flamboyancy to accompany the ridiculousness. I can see why some people prefer David Production's approach.

Coming off Joseph, all JoJos suck with the possible exception of Jolyne, who doesn't suck as bad.

To be fair, the OVAs cut out a lot of Jotaro's fights. I think Polnareff actually had more in the anime by the time it was over for some asinine reason. Should have called it Polnareff's Bizarre Adventure.

fertygo

[Jojo's Bizarre Adventure] (2000) 6

This is starting to look more like the Jojo I'm familiar with, except that the problem with that show was the lack of animation and not so much the bad art. Yikes.

Jotaro sucks. For the eponymous character, he sure hasn't done shit since episode two.

Well they skipping a lot.. But you'll take back what you said after entering 90's episode, Jotaro are awesome.

This OVA series hits the horror/gore mood very well, although I have to say I'm not a fan of this more serious Jojo. It's just missing the flamboyancy to accompany the ridiculousness. I can see why some people prefer David Production's approach.
What I said

Where my David pro Part 3 anime news ;__;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom