• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to watch a lot of anime but sometime around 2008 I just stopped. I think I just overloaded myself and between school and work I think Code Geass 2 was just the final straw for me. However, recently I have decided that its been long enough and have decided to get back to it. I'll watch pretty much anything but like in particular sci-fi. Since 2008 what series would you guys say are good watches? Like I said just things that are good doesn't matter the genre.

A few suggestions.

2008:
Kaiba - A vision of a world where memories and personalities can be easily traded between bodies, and an exploration of the implications of that. Unique art style.
Natsume's Book of Friends - A collection of bittersweet stories about what happens when the human and youkai worlds intertwine.
One Outs - A baseball show which is in reality more about mind games than sports.
Spice and Wolf - Ostensibly about economics, but its core is the character development of the relationship between a human merchant and a wolf god.

2009:
Aoi Bungaku - A compilation of adaptations of classic Japanese literature from various directors. Inconsistent, but the high points are very high, especially "Run, Melos!"
Chi's Sweet Home - An adorable series of 3-minute shorts about a cat and his new human family.
Mai Mai Miracle - A nostalgic film about growing up in 1950s Japan.
Trapeze - Fantastic, quirky study of mental illness.

2010:
Colorful - A soul gets a second chance at life. Very strong direction and visuals, sensitive character work.
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru - Excellent comedy about a lively, varied cast of characters in a shopping district.
Tatami Galaxy - An exploration of the choice between various life paths that you have to make when you reach college. Unique visual style.
Time of Eve (film version) - thoughtful sci-fi piece about human-robot interaction

2011:
Bunny Drop - Laid-back series about the joys of parenting.
Fate/Zero - Well-made action show with some engaging characters. (Well, mostly Rider.)
Nichijou - A sketch show which is one of my favorite comedies. Received a mixed reception, but it's worth checking out for yourself, for the amazing animation and music if nothing else.
Wandering Son - A sensitive exploration of gender identity and puberty.
From 2011 Anime Mirai (short films funded by the Japanese government to train young animators): Kizuna Ichigeki and Ojisan no Lamp

2012:
Hyouka - Subtle character drama in one of the best audiovisual packages ever put on television.
Jewelpet Kira Deco - I'll throw in a recent discovery of mine. It's a hilarious weird gag comedy packed into the shell of a franchise show for little girls. If you're not adverse to the trappings of that demographic, you might find much to enjoy here.
Tsuritama - Boys bond over fishing in Enoshima, with a little sci-fi thrown in.
Wolf Children - Fantastic study of motherhood, with all its pleasures and trials.
From 2012 Anime Mirai: Shiranpuri and Wasurenagumo

From 2013 Anime Mirai: Death Billiards and Little Witch Academia

I don't want to make recommendations for currently airing shows, since their outcome is uncertain and these'll be enough to occupy you for now, but I do have to encourage you to check out Flowers of Evil, which has been an extremely gripping psychological thriller so far.

Also, why are seasons only 12 episodes now?

Well, seasons were always ~12 episodes; there were 12-13 episode shows consistently from the introduction of late-night anime in the late 1990s. The reason why there are now more 1-cour (1-cour = 11-13 episodes) shows than 2-cour (22-26 episodes) shows is mainly due to two factors. First, the evaporation of the Western money that was flooding into the anime market during the boom of the early-mid 2000s, the money that a studio like Gonzo made the focus of their business strategy, and the general weakness of the economy makes companies more reticent to make big investments for uncertain returns. Second, the increasing popularity of the split-cour format, where shows such as Fate/Zero and Valvrave which would previously have run as a straight block of 24-25 episodes, are now split in two with a season's break between the two halves.

Nafe

Doh, me too. I see what you mean now.
They pretty much accomplish their goals before Usagi goes Serenity-mode, basically leaving only the question of whether they did have enough strength left to teleport or not despite the crew having enough to support Usagi.

Oh well!

I had to go after posting my message so I didn't see this right away, sorry.

That's what I was getting at though, yes.
The movie itself shows us they have this ability and if they have the power to create the shield would they not maybe have the power to teleport?

That's also what I meant by linking it to what happened in the show with
Rubeus. We just saw a similar scenario which made me think of it even more.
I saw you talking to Regulus about the writing and production so maybe the reason they did what they did in the movie is because they just did a similar thing in the show? I guess it depends on when each respective part was actually written.

It's ultimately not that big of a deal and I didn't mean to come across as ragging on the show but just something I thought of to consider. I guess when I get to watching Gunbuster I can see what Regulus is talking about there in regards to how it handles its ending.

Sometimes I guess entertainment comes first over logic. As I had mentioned a while earlier the whole Terminator movie series story is pretty much pointless when you think about it. Especially with each new successive movie added but they can be fun to watch anyway.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Sorry it's just that that explanation leaves out a lot of good stuff (like all of the back story that isn't the IoM's, the Alien races, or even any idea of what the world itself is). I've seen people link to it before and it gives off a radically different expectation as to what the world is like than it really is and as a result have seen people get turned off by it. Like I said before If you have any questions about the series just ask me. I'm practically a walking encyclopedia about the universe. And if I don't know I can usually find someone who does.

Also any other recs?

I'm still watching some but I'll give you some of mine, at least. Hopefully you haven't seen some of these. They aren't necessarily 2008 and on, but I don't watch enough to know the exact years.

Golden Boy (6 part OVA. Honestly one of the funniest shows ever made. It's a joy to watch. Older, 90's show.)
Coyote Ragtime Show (12 part series. Pretty fun show from what I remember. Interesting but straightforward plot, cool atmosphere.)
Broken Blade (6 part OVA w/ 1hr. parts. Really cool mech show, lots of political drama but also a lot of cool combat.)
Mardock Scramble (series of three movies. I've finished the first one and need to get the other too. Lots of cool action and pretty sweet, almost Ghost in the Shell-like atmosphere.)

I'm also close to finishing up Night Raid 1931 which is like James Bond meets film noir meets X-men, as weird as that sounds. Not too shabby, though really dry and slow at parts. If you wanted to catch up and join me, that'd be cool. I just finished the 10th episode out of 14.

Westlo

Fuck the haterz, #TeamEmi.

Look, I don't mind the show being 'just' a silly romcom, it's just that their character arcs are so tied up into the backstory that as long as that remains unresolved, the romcom stuff will never get going, either. We see this happening with Emi, it's happening with Chiho, and it'll happen with any new character it introduces, because the status quo is what allows the whole thing to happen. And a show that never moves forward is one that's doomed to be unsatisfying

Pretty much, nothings going to happen seriously in that regard until the final volumes and the anime seems like it will only cover 3 volumes while the 8th one just came out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wafuu~~~ SNAFU~~~ 7
paJZ04Xl.jpg

Hey, the token fujyoshi shows up and says her token fujyoshi line. It's meta because of Saika and our protagonist's budding relationship!

You know, considering what I know about this text, I feel like this could easily backfire if not handled correctly. But as it stands, I feel like I'm watching a junior or clumsier version of Oreki, and since most texts that try to go for that character achetype ultimately fail (Kirito being the massive failure), it's at least impressive to see a character like that who isn't wallowing in self-pity or general malaise with society.

Wafuu~~~ SNAFU~~~ 7
[.IMG]http://i.imgur.com/paJZ04Xl.jpg[/IMG]
Hey, the token fujyoshi shows up and says her token fujyoshi line. It's meta because of Saika and our protagonist's budding relationship!

You know, considering what I know about this text, I feel like this could easily backfire if not handled correctly. But as it stands, I feel like I'm watching a junior or clumsier version of Oreki, and since most texts that try to go for that character achetype ultimately fail (Kirito being the massive failure), it's at least impressive to see a character like that who isn't wallowing in self-pity or general malaise with society.

Bunch of my hype.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not betting against the house, I never really picked a side, it's just Chiho made great strives to get to where she is, Emi is still falling down stairs in comparion. Kimono is just getting in the way of things even more.
Well sure, Emi sucks as a character, but she's basically the default winner. Maybe that's why she's not that interesting, since the author realizes that he doesn't need to even try with her.

Bunch of my hype.
SNAFU really is the weird show that came out of nowhere for me. It's almost like Say I Love You, but gender-swapped and not really about romance. (So nothing like it then! lol)

Well sure, Emi sucks as a character, but she's basically the default winner. Maybe that's why she's not that interesting, since the author realizes that he doesn't need to even try with her.

And that's the downside of harems. Since Emi is the default winner, that automatically makes her the worst character from what I've seen in other harems like Love Hina.

SNAFU really is the weird show that came out of nowhere for me. It's almost like Say I Love You, but gender-swapped and not really about romance. (So nothing like it then! lol)

I don't think they'll rehash the same story a bunch of times with a different new character to break up the one true pairing. (Please don't).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think they'll rehash the same story a bunch of times with a different new character to break up the one true pairing. (Please don't).
Saika x Hikki 4ever.

And that's the downside of harems. Since Emi is the default winner, that automatically makes her the worst character from what I've seen in other harems like Love Hina.
Well, it's also the fact that her whole gimmick is that she "hates" Maou even though it's painfully obvious she doesn't.

Theonik

Sailor Moon 39-46
iTkeoURLtWKFH.png
i70rLujtDha0T.png

Lawsuits incoming
A lot happened over these last few episodes but I really don't feel like making individual posts so I'll try and squeeze it all in here.
From Ami being Moe, to 4th wall breaking, to sexy Youma, to dead eyes moe, to sailor Sailor Moon to broken logic.
seriously? She'd kill her because she stole Sailor V's Boyfriend?
Lots of thing in these episodes.
What is it with girls and their coaches anyway?
The show had its ups and downs of course but overall it was quite cool. I must say the ending is very very different to the manga like I remembered. Not sure if I'll watch R straight away though.

Default winner doesn't really apply to the anime, no one is going to win before it ends.

Jex

Ojamajo Doremi - 1

Well I knew I had to do this sooner or later, if I wanted to repair the damage to the many hearts I caused back when I called this the worst Magical Girl show I ever saw.

But now I'm watching the untainted subbed version with fresh eyes, and honestly, I have little to no complaints. Everything that 4Kids did to the show is now gone, meaning no obnoxious voice acting, no obnoxious yelling, and everything stays in check. Hopefully I'll still feel this way during the next few episodes.

I'm glad you decided to give it another shot!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Chi's Sweet Home 31

Remind me to never get a cat.

Y'know, I've had cats for most of my life and yet I've never had anything remotely close to this happen. Over the years I've just kind of come to the conclusion that fictional depictions of pet behavior are rarely accurate.

ZetaEpyon

Y'know, I've had cats for most of my life and yet I've never had anything remotely close to this happen. Over the years I've just kind of come to the conclusion that fictional depictions of pet behavior are rarely accurate.

Closest I've had is clothes strewn about the house when I get home from work, which happens pretty much every day. My cat drags them around, I guess.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Aikatsu! 31:

You mother
's day episode
fuckers. There's finally a dance situation in which it would be impossible to use CG, and five seconds into it the dance turns into a slideshow. askifhighrdighfdguhr

On the whole, though, pretty good episode with its combination of comic strength training and :firehawk Mother's Day stuff. The show really is at its best when it completely dispenses with the character drama and goes off of the deep end with the academy's training methods. It would really make the fact that three-fifths of the series is the same "Ichigo enters an idol contest" plot slightly retooled so much more bearable if it was like this episode and hammed it up while eliminating most of the pre-contest angsting by introducing a subplot.

I haven't owned a cat but my experiences with other people's cats has been nothing but pleasant. There's one particular cat who, when I visited, would always cuddle up on my lap and make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The real reason I don't want to get one is that I fear I'd make a bad caretaker.

Even Chi is just too adorable for me to really be bothered by his mischieviousness.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Why!?

You disappoint me SDBurton, not going for the yandere yuri Ayase tut tut.

Couldn't make my edit in time, was dealing with quite the nasty phone call at work right after I made that post. :(

But yes let me correct my mistake,

Kirino = Ayase > Saori>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kuroneko

I need to see if there's any Kirino x Ayase
doujins
out.

Couldn't make my edit in time, was dealing with quite the nasty phone call at work right after I made that post. :(

doujins
out.

There aren't.

This is by far the least used pairing even in artworks.

Also . While i understand your list , i respectfully disagree.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Default winner doesn't really apply to the anime, no one is going to win before it ends.
Well, yeah, there's that. Anime adaptations are suffering. lol

Not even.

Just accept the beauty and superior love that is Yuri so we can end this silly debate.
But you are into fake yuri! lol

Well duh, she falls down the stairs so everyone can see her pantsu, and stalks him every day!
Maybe I have just come to hate tsundere characters now.

Otaku character are funny, especially fujoshi.
You'll love Genshiken: TNG!

Yaoi requires more effort with IMAGINATION to pair up.

And I'm a lazy bastard.
I suppose for heterosexual men, just seeing two girls even talk to each other is enough. lol

Steroyd

doujins
out.

lulz, I was about to post: "You put a = where an x should be."

doujins
out.

Everyone has a point where they have some sort of weird stance, and here is yours.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That's alot more than Fujioshi's only needing two guys to exist.
For girls, it's more about the seme/uke dynamic than actual guys being involved.

I still remember that discussion from that research paper, where girls were debating the relationship between a car and a road. Is the car the "top" because it drives on top of the road? lol

Steroyd

Not really no~

It's pretty much the seme uke thing which needs two people, which I must tip my hat off to DTL on that front, seeing everything like that all the time in every work he reads/watches sounds really really tiring.

For girls, it's more about the seme/uke dynamic than actual guys being involved.

I still remember that discussion from that research paper, where girls were debating the relationship between a car and a road. Is the car the "top" because it drives on top of the road? lol

That sounds like hoot.

Personally I think the road is "ontop" because the car is almost useless without a road.

wtf am I doing!?

I do know that the car is S and the road is M.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Mad Pierrot: let's enact an old fashioned aninegaf suicide pact and both knock out 3.33 this weekend.

I'm game.

I haven't owned a cat but my experiences with other people's cats has been nothing but pleasant. There's one particular cat who, when I visited, would always cuddle up on my lap and make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. The real reason I don't want to get one is that I fear I'd make a bad caretaker.

Even Chi is just too adorable for me to really be bothered by his mischieviousness.

If it makes you feel any more confident, I might be the most damaged person here and yet my pets still thrive. A sense of responsibility naturally comes with loving something, and cats in particular are pretty low-maintenance. If you're ever in the position to adopt, I genuinely don't think that you would come to regret it.
disclaimer: this is coming from a borderline animal hoarder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom