• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water Episodes 32-33

So basically the Africa arc = NTR arc? This is pretty fucked considering the last four episodes were dedicated to finally bringing Jean and Nadia together (esp 30/31). The last two episodes undo all of that work with some non-stop inconsistent character writing. It's stupid, and erases all the good will for Nadia built up in the last few episodes. By the end of 31, it feels like shit has finally come together, and then out of nowhere she's moved on. Hell, you know there's a problem when the entire cast comments on how awful she's being.

The whole Grandis bit was absurdly stupid too, painting her as a gullible idiot. This is especially stupid considering her story many episodes ago.

These eps were easily the worst of the island/africa stuff thus far, if only because they pretty much shit on everything before them.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Many youma were male. Daimon were all female, and I think cardians too. Droids I don't remember as clearly. Definitely male Lemures too.

Normally this is where I'd remark about Ikuhara's influence on the show being the cause of the disappearance of male monsters, but if there are male Lemures, apparently not. I do remember some of the Seven Great Youma from S1 being male, but I consider those an exception as their forms were based on the body that they were currently reincarnated in. Other than that, I'm drawing a blank and I'm surprised that I am.

Thanks! I can't believe that I forgot him.

Narag

Normally this is where I'd remark about Ikuhara's influence on the show being the cause of the disappearance of male monsters, but if there are male Lemures, apparently not. I do remember some of the Seven Great Youma from S1 being male, but I consider those an exception as their forms were based on the body that they were currently reincarnated in. Other than that, I'm drawing a blank and I'm surprised that I am.

I cheated by going through the wiki but apparently the only male youma not born from a human like the Seven Great Youma was in the Nafe flashback in episode 42.

There were male Droids in episode 81 as well.

jKg8Z5N.jpg

Oh god. Is episode 34 just nonstop character songs set to clips of the show? Really? Is this how we end the Island/Africa arc from hell? 31 would have been such a good place to end it. OTL.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Looking back, all Fisheye's Lemures were male. Never picked up on that.

No, I think all of
Fisheye
's monsters were male. Right off the top of my head there was even monsters like that Boxer guy from the one Ikuhara episode in the first series or part of the show.

I cheated by going through the wiki but apparently the only male youma not born from a human like the Seven Great Youma was in the Nafe flashback in episode 42.

There were male Droids in episode 81 as well.

jKg8Z5N.jpg

My whole perspective on Sailor Moon's MotWs is in tatters.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Hmmm... if you want to go for youma native to the Dark Kingdom but not one of the great seven, then yeah, it gets pretty hard. Definitely male youma among the converted ones though.

Nafe

I initially thought...Nafe flashback? What?

but then...OMG! I'm Minako! It's true after all!

fbLqAGR.png

Real Pic Nafe

My whole perspective on Sailor Moon's MotWs is in tatters.

Haha, no big deal. Team Mahou Shoujo is there to help each other out. Power of friendship etc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
His Favorite (aitsu no daihonmai)
Awkward Silence
Into Illusion

Are worth checking out. Sleeping Moon too.
Are they smutty though? The two random ones I clicked on were smutty. lol

It just seemed to be the take home message from a con last weekend about it and perceptions of the industry.
I think straight girls, Japanese and American, do have an ideal look - even if - for Japanese girls at least - the emphasis is on the pairing dynamics than on the actual bodies involved. I'm just say you won't see an obese hairy bear x super thin and small cubby pairings any time soon. Hell, even the older fake-gay pairing (ala Modern Family) is probably far away from the fantasy that these girls have in their head.

(As for Japan, let's all forget Hard Gay ever happened)

The straight girl gay is like the straight guy lesbian. They only exist in their fantasies. lol
Heck, it's why "out" stories are pretty rare in Japanese funny books. There's a queer bubble that the characters exist in so that they don't need to deal with the "real world".

Well I mean there are some that are basically like a mix between yaoi and bara. Not crazy in muscles but also not bear either.

Those are the most acceptable.
Not that I'm a connoisseur of any sort, but I haven't really seen anything like that unfortunately.

I hope most of them look like Masaharu Fukuyama
This is the same reality in which all Japanese girls look like idols then? lol

Railgun S 6
The feels just keep on coming. Fuck Accelerator
He is so horribly broken, how could anyone ever stand a chance against him unless you disabled his powers
, and Go Misaka!
Railgun continues to not disappoint.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sailor Moon SuperS 156:

Painter-kun is a stand-up guy. Still, even though his current ordeal ended well, someone is probably going to find his emaciated corpse under some bushes in the park one of these days.

MikeMyers

She isn't even the same character, though. Besides, she starts getting a bunch of screentime in S and by Stars she's half the show.

I found her mostly the same, PGSM Minako is a lot different though.

But yeah, the Minako focused episodes were generally my favourite.

CorvoSol

Code Geass Episode 24

1. When did Lelouch find time to brain-wash all the people in control of the earthquake protection system? Unless he had been planning on destroying Tokyo ALL DAY, even after he'd allegedly recanted and joined Euphemia. Just further proof he got what he wanted in that stadium.

2. New OP is okay. Better than the craptastic OP2.

3. Wait, does Suzaku not know who Zero is? You saw Lelouch's phone number in Euphemia's cell, Suzaku, and this isn't raising any red flags for you?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I found her mostly the same,
Maybe not as different as the anime and manga versions of Usagi, Rei, and Chibiusa, but still different in notable ways.

Anime Minako has a more prominent clumy side and a more relentless involvement in antics. Manga Minako does have a light side but carries herself as leader of the inners much more.

Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water Episode 35

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I made it! I'm still alive! We're back to old school Gainax excellence! A great episode all around, and a fantastic way to wash out the bad taste in my mouth left by the last few episodes. Nadia recognizes her flaws, apologizes, despairs a bit, finds hope. Happy days!

Animation is finally back to normal levels, and thew hole thing was just grand. Loved the lack of color too.

Steroyd

RAILGUN S2 - 07

This guy is :

-overpowered ?
-broken ?
-awesome when he is a bad guy ?
-enjoying killing people ?
-going to kick your ass when he tries.
-
going to lose when the most broken character of that universe will stand in his way
- much better with wings

Touma isn't broken
he has the most silliest plot armor ever, even with his cancellation hand he should have got wrecked by Accelerator.

Jex

Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water Episodes 32-33

So basically the Africa arc = NTR arc? This is pretty fucked considering the last four episodes were dedicated to finally bringing Jean and Nadia together (esp 30/31). The last two episodes undo all of that work with some non-stop inconsistent character writing. It's stupid, and erases all the good will for Nadia built up in the last few episodes. By the end of 31, it feels like shit has finally come together, and then out of nowhere she's moved on. Hell, you know there's a problem when the entire cast comments on how awful she's being.

The whole Grandis bit was absurdly stupid too, painting her as a gullible idiot. This is especially stupid considering her story many episodes ago.

These eps were easily the worst of the island/africa stuff thus far, if only because they pretty much shit on everything before them.

I tried to tell you. I tired. I really did.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
[sorry posted my reaction too soon by accident]

Night Raid 1931 - 12

Yeah, Sakurai's a fucking dick.
and of course the bomb is a fake, duh...or is he hoping for a use and it's first test with one go?

if Isao's plan goes into action in two days under the new moon...our crew will barely be able to use Natsume, shit. It'll be interesting to see how the team goes about this, seeing as they even know that Sakurai's a con and they're doing this for themselves now.

But what does Isao need Shizune for his bomb? What is that shrine thing?
Is she the trigger? Does Metal Gear launch nukes?!?!?!

This whole grand scheme of Isao's
of Japan making a nuke prior to WWII in order to prevent WWII from happening as fortold by the Prophetess
is kinda interesting and big, but somehow I feel the tension is kinda lacking.
Part of me is hoping they set it off and we get some alternate reality shit going.
Either way, we got a good team civil war final showdown lined up!

IyNtdFj.jpg

nr1931-6c_zps3ae5cc04.gif

Ah yeah, more cross-dressing Yukina

cajunator

Banned
I think Im about to get my 7 days off schedule back for a bit. Maybe I can get back to marathoning something lengthy like Sailor Moon R or Precure again.
Its tough when you are always exhausted.

Hataraku Maou-sama! - 7
Kind of a boring episode. The jokes were low in favor of introducing the kimono girl, but a nice gag near the end helped somewhat salvage the episode.

Valvrave - 6
This show always finds ways to surprise me. And yes, I can now agree that Saki is the best character here.

Kemonozume - 1-6
Oh my god. I absolutely adore this! I barely pried myself away from this. Can't wait to watch more!

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 11

Another excellent episode. Instead of having someone come along and rip Sousuke's character a new one (unless you count the members of the Urzu SRT squad having the briefest of conversations of that nature about him as such), we have one of the show's best moments happen in the form of Nega-Kaname. Not-Chidori, listed in the credits only as "Prostitute" is identical in appearance to Kaname in every way, and has a similar, but warped version of her personality. There's a broken piece of glass in her introduction for a bit of symbolism.

And while I cannot believe I am saying this, one of the clues you have that this Not-Chidori is different from the real deal is her small clothes. In the realm of anime I'm lead to understand white panties mean one thing, and other colors something else, and this girl's sporting some red ones. Red because she's, you know, a prostitute.

Aaaanyway, as Sousuke goes through the motions of trying to get drunk and have sex with her, we're presented a vision of what such a twisted relationship between them could be like. It's not a pretty picture, and as the scene continues, we quickly are shown that Nega Kaname has an awful "screw others, its okay to run from problems" kind of attitude.

The whole thing works because for a brief moment Sousuke thinks he's getting what he wanted: Kaname, only for it to fall apart because she's not Kaname and he isn't willing to admit to himself that that is what he wants yet.

The other side of the episode reveals some background info on Sousuke, namely that he was an assassin sent by the KGB (for which Kalinin had at that time been working) prior to teaming up with Kalinin in the Middle East and well, pretty much everything. The basic idea is that, at age 9, Sousuke is sent to assassinate Bdhakshan's Tiger, fails, but is taken in by the man, making him the Son of Bdhakshan's Tiger, who is being sought by an unnamed party in Hong Kong.

Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water Episode 36

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

So much badass. The moment that
New Nautilus rose from beneath the ground and the music swelled and exploded, I'm pretty sure I felt a chill run down my spine. And let's not even talk about how fucking badass Nemo looks now. After seeing Electra's redesign, I assumed he would also get one too, but dayumn.

Dat plug suit action.

Funny how two fantastic episodes in a row just wipe out the awful memories of the last eleven. I'm back on board.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I might go to an anime convention tomorrow. Is there anything I should expect or worry about?

cajunator

Banned
I might go to an anime convention tomorrow. Is there anything I should expect or worry about?

bring a can of air freshener and a bottle of water because body heat makes it unbearably hot and smelly in a convention room. Otherwise, its not bad really. Mostly I attend them for dealers room and artist alley.

CorvoSol

Slayers 9

Sometimes, I think I shouldn't watch dubbed anime anymore. But then, there are episodes which are so terribly dubbed, but so intrinsically linked with my childhood memories of a show, like this one, that I just can't bear to watch it in Japanese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom