• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't.

I agree the first five episodes are very weak, though. That said I'm not sure you will like this if the brand of comedy is not doing anything for you already. Why aren't you finishing Heartcatch?

To be honest, I don't want Heartcatch to end. I'm very sad. But thou must.

I'll probably do two more episodes today once I have dinner situated.

Smile has by far the worst introduction phase in the entire franchise; it doesn't really get good until episode 14. What most people like about it is the incredible mid-season climax and the surprising streak of great episodes they had going on from the mid-30's to the early-40's.

I guess what I caught a glimpse of (a reaction face) might validate this. I never planned on dropping Smile though. I made a mission to see this through to the end, and I am only 2 (well 3 in a way) series away from doing so.

7Th

Smile has by far the worst introduction phase in the entire franchise; it doesn't really get good until episode 14. What most people like about it is the incredible mid-season climax and the surprising streak of great episodes they had going on from the mid-30's to the early-40's.

Karneval 04

NMY4eUdl.jpg

At least he's polite enough to ask.

So I guess we're gonna go into Mr. Shoots Everything with a Gun's backstory. Not really into it at this point and also not really caring about the pair of twins that comes in with this backstory either.

What happened to all the circus action.

cajunator

Banned

Smile didnt really hook me yet up to episode 5 which is where I stopped. Just wanted to see Cure Peace's intro. Was not disappointed by that at least.
By the way, the Figuarts Zero Cure Peace figurine is in stock now and shipping soon :D
What will I do with something that cute in my room?

Mature

Is Funimation doing something new with Detective Conan like bringing in more seasons (stopped at 5 with 6 movies). They just announced the S.A.V.E release, put the show for sale digitally and streaming on Hulu.
Nothing yet, but if you'd like to assist in a blood ritual, we might make some progress with your sacrifice =]

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Looking back, those first five episodes had agonizing pacing and I agree that they could have easily condensed establishing the various character relationships and initial character introductions into at most two full episodes. It doesn't take a whole damned episode to say "this is Yayoi, she's a crybaby, and likes to draw"/"this is Nao, she has lots of siblings, she's very dependable", etc. The show is already fun by the Candy body swap episode, though.

Tenumi

Banned

Man, I've been wondering what that countdown to 22 thing has been in the episodes. If it leads to something good, then I'm hyped up.

Also, I've been doing terrible against Cure Peace. Lost or tied most, only won like twice.

And that gif up there is creeping me out...

Soma

Aku no Hana Episode 04

ibrKRmjDzAEuBR.jpg

Now that right there is a shining example of a shit-eating grin if I ever saw one.

I like the new OP song. I feel like I've heard the vocals from somewhere before too. The show is really reminding just how spineless Kasuga is and the anime is really doing a great job at conveying that. Nakamura continues to be the most intriguing (and best character) of the story and each scene with her is amazingly unsettling. I love how the ambient music kicks in at just the right moments. It's subtle but very effective. I'm more or less aware of what goes down next and I'm excited to see how it all unfolds.

They do become less similar, but without many individual traits to replace that diminishing similarity. Saki especially suffers due to this, because once it becomes clear that she's not as tomboyish and aggressive as Nagisa, she's just sort of....I dunno, a ceaseless font of child-like enthusiasm and virtue and not much else. I grew tired of just how excited every little thing made her. Mai gets away with it more because her character archetype is more quiet and passive to begin with. I think that their characters work well in contrast to Kaoru and Michiru, but less so on their own.

That's why the show becomes much much much better once kaoru & michiru show up.
There were like the missing half of the coin the serie needed

I was in the same situation last year ...i was trully bored by smile untill i reached that point as well .the body swap ep was funny but aside from that it was dull.

The difference between SS and Smile is that SS first 15eps were standard futari wa mayhem but smile didn't have a direction for the characters , yet.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'll be honest, Emi is a cool chick. As far as tsundere girls go she's one of the best. But Chiho is just on another level.

Pretty much. She's not a bad character or anything, Chiho is just better :p

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I have the Figuarts Zero Cure Peace preordered, but only because it was the only high-quality piece of Smile merchandise available at that time. Japan sucks for favoring one over the others so much that we'll probably only ever get Yayoi figurines.

Man, I've been wondering what that countdown to 22 thing has been in the episodes. If it leads to something good, then I'm hyped up.

Also, I've been doing terrible against Cure Peace. Lost or tied most, only won like twice.

And that gif up there is creeping me out...

I think it's mentioned from the first episode that the Akanbe Clock is counting down to the revival of Emperor Pierrot. Every time one of the villains collects Bad Energy, the clock gets closer to 22.

Toilet humour and bodily intrusion. Just what I expect from Precure.

I'll never forget the meaning of the word "benpi" thanks to this episode.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
[Fresh Precure!] 13

Amusing story. As I've watched more Precure I've started talking about it with my Japanese buddy. When he listed the various Precure shows for me, he spelled "Fresh Precure" as "Flesh Precure"

Needless to say, I had to advise him that it changed the meaning entirely.

Kinda regret bringing up Smule. Suite isnt getting enough rep!

Oh well. I might not be ending the overall run with Heartcatch, but Im glad i have something to look forward to.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Kinda regret bringing up Smule. Suite isnt getting enough rep!

Oh well. I might not be ending the overall run with Heartcatch, but Im glad i have something to look forward to.

I've seen to it that Suite definitely has a reputation here; just not the kind of reputation you'd hope for!

maousama2.jpg

Hataraku Maou-sama 2

Ending: Really good. Why wasn't this the first one?

Great episode as well. Emi is nice addition to the cast with her Tsun personality while at the same time showing the appropriate amount of Dere around Maou. Absolutely loved that facial expression gave to the cop after being mistaken as Maou's lover. Maou is such a nice guy helping out his former nemesis by giving her a place to stay and some cash when he didn't need to. Alsiel continues to be great and I'm glad to see how happy he looked when Maou complimented his cooking. Best part was when he locked that door the moment he found out who Emi was and didn't bother opening it until after she stopped screaming.

Also White hair Emi > Red hair Emi

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Jewelpet Kira Deco! 02:

What the hell? Angela and Labula aren't just playing police, they are the police. While Labula might appear somewhat cognitively deficient compared to the other Jewelpets given that she can only communicate through a verbal tic, she's not only perfectly well-spoken (as illustrated when Ruby serves as her interpreter), but also fairly terrifying:

JEWELPET JUSTICE. YOU DON'T FUCK AROUND IN JEWELLAND.

this show is ridiculously entertaining for what it is.

Articalys

Still going through survey results. To be honest, there were so many free-response answers that I think it would be a bit unwieldy to list them all in the summary posts, so I'm going to pick out a large handful of the more articulate/descriptive ones and quote them here in the thread, but I'll still provide links to a compilation of all the responses for each question, no matter how brief they were (except the ones that just said "no comment" or something similar). The only things I've removed/censored are direct named attacks on other posters.

Anyway, as another preview, here's one of the responses from the "general feedback" question:
People should relax. Everything in there is in good fun aside from the moe shit that's killing anime. If it weren't for the banker's otaku sons we wouldn't have to deal with the problems in the industry that we have to deal with today. We also wouldn't have it compromising conservative (read: proper) Christian ideals in the West. Hentai has ruined a great many thing and destroyed the purity of various franchises beloved in the West. Sonic? Ruined by otaku bankers and their otaku sons. Thundercats? Cancelled because there's not enough loli. If Lion-o was a 8 year old girl, it'd be sure money at the cost of the property's integrity and simply become a commercial to drive merchandise. All I'm saying is, well, fuck you, 4Kids, fuck you, Saban, and fuck you Les Moonves.

*drops mic*

I'm out.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
maousama2.jpg

Hataraku Maou-same 2

Ending: Really good. Why wasn't this the first one?

Great episode as well. Emi is nice addition to the cast with her Tsun personality while at the same time showing the appropriate amount of Dere around Maou. Absolutely loved that facial expression gave to the cop after being mistaken as Maou's lover. Maou is such a nice guy helping out his former nemesis by giving her a place to stay and some cash when he didn't need to. Alsiel continues to be great and I'm glad to see how happy he looked when Maou complimented his cooking. Best part was when he locked that door the moment he found out who Emi was and didn't bother opening it until after she stopped screaming.

Also White hair Emi > Red hair Emi

That whole scene really revealed so much about Emi's character, and the amazing part is that it's basically drowned out in the background. We have Emi, who unlike Maou and Alsiel, ended up in Japan alone, and has been alone for some time. She shows up at their door after the initial confrontation/police station bit, and initially is threatening like her old persona. After Alsiel locks the door, he and Maou continue to talk about the situation in the foreground, and is clearly what the audience is supposed to be paying attention to while Emi yells in the background. As they continue to ignore her, her threats slowly become desperate pleas, and eventually she breaks down crying, all drowned out in the background instead of being pushed into the foreground. In this little bit that's on the surface being played for laughs, we're completely filled in about her character and how she's so completely lonely that she can't bare to be shut out of the one connection she has to her old world. After so much time being alone in a strange land, she's finally found a connection, and she's not going to lose it, even if it's her mortal enemy.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Still going through survey results. To be honest, there were so many free-response answers that I think it would be a bit unwieldy to list them all in the summary posts, so I'm going to pick out a large handful of the more articulate/descriptive ones and quote them here in the thread, but I'll still provide links to a compilation of all the responses for each question, no matter how brief they were (except the ones that just said "no comment" or something similar). The only things I've removed/censored are direct named attacks on other posters.

Anyway, as another preview, here's one of the responses from the "general feedback" question:
Not sure if actually Novid or just troll.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'll refrain from asking then. I assume part of it is due to it coming after Heartcatch.

Nah, the long and short of it is that (spoilered so not to color your experience if you don't want to know anything)
it just trainwrecks in the second half

Jintor

Cajun's true character revealed!

That whole scene really revealed so much about Emi's character, and the amazing part is that it's basically drowned out in the background. We have Emi, who unlike Maou and Alsiel, ended up in Japan alone, and has been alone for some time. She shows up at their door after the initial confrontation/police station bit, and initially is threatening like her old persona. After Alsiel locks the door, he and Maou continue to talk about the situation in the foreground, and is clearly what the audience is supposed to be paying attention to while Emi yells in the background. As they continue to ignore her, her threats slowly become desperate pleas, and eventually she breaks down crying, all drowned out in the background instead of being pushed into the foreground. In this little bit that's on the surface being played for laughs, we're completely filled in about her character and how she's so completely lonely that she can't bare to be shut out of the one connection she has to her old world. After so much time being alone in a strange land, she's finally found a connection, and she's not going to lose it, even if it's her mortal enemy.

Thanks for articulating what I was trying to argue with... someone about last thread! We cool, Ruroni

cajunator

Banned
Jewelpet Kira Deco! 02:

What the hell? Angela and Labula aren't just playing police, they are the police. While Labula might appear somewhat cognitively deficient compared to the other Jewelpets given that she can only communicate through a verbal tic, she's not only perfectly well-spoken (as illustrated when Ruby serves as her interpreter), but also fairly terrifying:

JEWELPET JUSTICE. YOU DON'T FUCK AROUND IN JEWELLAND.

this show is ridiculously entertaining for what it is.

Which Jewelpet series is this? how many are there even?

Cajun's true character revealed!

Thanks for articulating what I was trying to argue with... someone about last thread! We cool, Ruroni

I never drop the mic.

Devil Survivor 2 The Animation 04

I'm bored of the characters already.

Luckily, it looks like next week is where a bunch of brand new characters appear!

I completely agree with everything you've written.

Jewelpet Kira Deco! 02:

She's coming for you!

H4QPoMO.jpg

Highschool of the Dead 2

Shizuka Marikawa feels like the most useless character around, easily likened to that of a worthless deadweight. And that scene where her bewbies bounched and bumped into Kouta knocking him down was a bit ridiculous, and the excessive sound effects and motions they give to her...The initial concept has gotten more interesting though and I cant wait to see what is happening beyond school
or more so with the news cast end of episode and numerous outbreaks around town as well as the mysterious loss of signal in cells

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Perfect.

-Horizon-

Valvrave 3

Still unsure how to feel about Code Gea- I mean Valvrave. It is fun to watch I suppose.
L'Elf somehow putting all that together in the 15 minutes he escaped from them lol

Syrinx

Heartcatch Precure 43

What a great episode. It's been a while since this show had a family episode like they had here. I had forgotten how much I liked the families of the Precures. This one kinda had to focus on family, seeing as how
Tsubomi's mom is teh preggers, and Tsubomi's gonna be a big sister.
I like Tsubomi's dad in particular. I'm not quite sure why. He just seems like a great father to Tsubomi.

One criticism I have of the characters here, and it's not necessarily a criticism so much as something that just strikes me as very odd, is that they seem to take a very...involved interest in the lives of their customers. I get what Tsubomi was trying to do by asking the daughter of the couple getting married to help her with the bouquet, but...I don't know. It just seems weird. Like, if she came ot me to ask for my help, I'd be all, "Who are you again?" and "How am I supposed to help?" and "You do it." Well, I'm not that standoffish. I'd probably be like "Uh...okay.", but then not do anything since I don't know shit about designing bouquets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom