• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Code Geass 25

Please tell me Jarmel isn't the season's final boss. I mean, I love his English VA, but it's just so ugh. Better be one more showdown between Golbez and Cecil before I have to change discs.

Uh, I don't know who you're referring to by Cecil (Suzaku?) but in any case, that's the last episode of the season man! Please insert Disc R2. The fun has only just begun.

Hentai Ouji 6

iMsXhm9YXYBqq.jpg

BoZpIMg.gif

This show is so fucking excellent.

CorvoSol

Code Geass 25

Seeing Zero's entire scheme crumble because of his own shoddy, half-assed efforts was wonderful. Just goes to show that while Cornelia was perhaps every bit as charismatic and central a leader to her men, she was a far more competent leader than him. He relied too heavily on cheap, theatrical tricks while she played the game in such a way that even if they didn't know she was no longer helping the fight, her men held together while Zero's just folded in on themselves.

Also, Lelouch is a cowardly, slimy bastard who turns tail and abandons his whole Rebellion when he wants too. I should think this episode, more than any other, proves he did not care about
killing Euphemia
, since all talk of making sacrifices pretty much fades when he demonstrates that the Rebellion is of secondary importance to him. And I dare say that Nunally is not the primary importance either. He wants her alive, but only as someone who will continue to croon to him about what a nice boy he is. If Nunally knew what kind of person he really was, what he had done to people she loved, would he really keep her around? I don't think so. Nunally is Lelouch's Refrain, and nothing more. A reminder or falsehood he keeps around so he can pretend to be a decent human being when he wants.

And so help me if
Suzaku is dead.

Suzaku was super freaking awesome these past two episodes. I might not even care if he slips all the way into depression of morals from here on out, because as his last speech points out, Zero can't ever have the moral high ground over him again.

I'm always the final boss.

There are worse candidates, I guess.

Nafe

Kamen Rider Agito 1

http://i.imgur.com/Iw4sUvR.jpg

You know things are off to a crazy start when the first episode has dead bodies stuffed in trees. Holy shit. I can already tell this is going to be great. Agito's first fight scene is amazing (though I'd already kinda seen it in the Agito PS1 game, in which it's recreated surprisingly faithfully). Probably one of the best I've seen in Kamen Rider, just in terms of atmosphere and visuals. Simple yet amazingly effective.

Just getting into some Toku stuff and I've been watching some of the Kamen Rider/Super Sentai movies to come out in the past year or so, most recently just watching Go-Busters vs Gokaiger. Other than thinking it should have maybe been "cross" instead of "versus", with the next Xbox console announcement coming up in the next few days, I was thinking of how neat it would be to have a Gokaiger-like game console.

"Hmm, I think I'm done with this one for now. Gokai change! SNES!" *Poof* turns into a SNES.
"Ok. Gokai change! PS2!" *Poof* Turns into a PS2.
"Nice."

If it worked with games you could also have the entire video games library released up to this point all on a single disc too!

Not having really seen any Sentai I had no idea who the different characters or teams were but the idea was pretty cool and I could see long time fans liking it. You also know you've got some swag when your name is Captain Marvelous, haha.

Code Geass 25

Seeing Zero's entire scheme crumble because of his own shoddy, half-assed efforts was wonderful. Just goes to show that while Cornelia was perhaps every bit as charismatic and central a leader to her men, she was a far more competent leader than him. He relied too heavily on cheap, theatrical tricks while she played the game in such a way that even if they didn't know she was no longer helping the fight, her men held together while Zero's just folded in on themselves.

Also, Lelouch is a cowardly, slimy bastard who turns tail and abandons his whole Rebellion when he wants too. I should think this episode, more than any other, proves he did not care about
killing Euphemia
, since all talk of making sacrifices pretty much fades when he demonstrates that the Rebellion is of secondary importance to him. And I dare say that Nunally is not the primary importance either. He wants her alive, but only as someone who will continue to croon to him about what a nice boy he is. If Nunally knew what kind of person he really was, what he had done to people she loved, would he really keep her around? I don't think so. Nunally is Lelouch's Refrain, and nothing more. A reminder or falsehood he keeps around so he can pretend to be a decent human being when he wants.

Honestly at this point, I thought Lelouch had stooped to Britannia's level, and I couldn't even enjoy the big epic fight scene going on. I actually kinda wanted all the fighting to stop because of how shocked I was.

If you really think that about Nunally, then you should really go and watch R2 ASAP. It covers her part in the story very well.

CorvoSol

Honestly at this point, I thought Lelouch had stooped to Britannia's level, and I couldn't even enjoy the big epic fight scene going on. I actually kinda wanted all the fighting to stop because of how shocked I was.

If you really think that about Nunally, then you should really go and watch R2 ASAP. It covers her part in the story very well.

I don't actually think anything about Nunally, other than that her English VA is the worst English VA I've heard in a good long while. She's basically not a character so much as a plot device.

I don't actually think anything about Nunally, other than that her English VA is the worst English VA I've heard in a good long while. She's basically not a character so much as a plot device.

That's not what I was referring to. I was talking about her being Lelouch's excuse and that it does something with that plot point that you will really enjoy. I'm not going to spoil anything, but let's just say episodes 5-6 might be your favourites.

CorvoSol

Ah, really?

You need to watch the first episode of R2 immediately.

(By which I mean we all need to laugh at your reaction.)

I dunno, I gotta watch my other shows, and I think I have to go somewhere for awhile tonight, and then there's still Dr. Who and I can't miss that.

Steroyd

Oreimo S2 - 07

iyZboXAx7lMLZ.gif

I don't know whether to laugh, cry, hnng or vommit or maybe all four, this episode was like that.

While I should be happy about the developments in this episode, I can't help but be cynical about it given that the previous episode was about Kirino and Kyouske damn near crying over not being exclusive to each other.

Somewhere deep down, I feel Kirino is going to sabotage this shit and she will then enter the same tier as Makoto (School Days) and the Suzuka main couple.

Speaking of Makoto, Kyouske getting them same vibes as Makoto's
"I've got a girlfriend for the first time, BOOBS!!
The omens aren't good in the slightest.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sailor Moon SuperS 159:

DrGeYDM.jpg

Do you see it? Because I see it.

Ikuhara episode! I was a bit concerned when the episode began with
that terrible insert song with the Chibiusa x Pegasus montage
, but things quickly righted themselves and we got an episode of superb comedy. Although the scouts had their time apportioned equally in this episode, Minako gets extra credit for taking her position as the bitter romantic to its logical conclusion in this situation and assuming that
Chibiusa is dating two boys at once solely because it's Minako's personal fantasy
. oh yeah ami is a square as usual too

I finally know the origin of the Nehellenia head-tilt!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Night Raid 1931 - 13: At Least a Fragment of Hope - THE END

And this is where everything falls apart...

God.

Fucking.

Dammit, Nazume!
You just fucking stood there and took the bullet like an idiot, goddamn.

And man Kazura, for all his honor and devotion, turns loyalties at the drop of hat.

Oh yeah, and really fuck you Sakurai. You're a total fucking dick on the real. Don't you dare touch Yukina.

Oh shit...did...Shizune just lose her memory of Aoi? :'(

Nice bittersweet, "it's all but a memory now" ending. Really worked well.

bhqX2Uz.png

A crying AND cross-dressing Yukina. Oh god I'm gonna die, my heart can't take it...

Night Raid 1931 - 14: Panther in the Snow - EPILOGUE

One last hurrah it seems, but every one has gone back to their former-ish lives, given up their previous aliases. But it seems Kazura just can really refuse one more shot into the spy breach. But can he go through with betraying an old army friend?

Aoi's entrance was so fucking badass.
and while her memories are gone, he's got Shizune back!

And it kinda ended with a whimper, but at least we got one last goodbye for most of the group.

AqdBSbH.png

hKJ8zTE.png

SAEq26T.png

shit was so noir

Overall this has been a decent enough series. Good characters, good drama. Needed a lot more action sequences, that's where the show really showed how good it could be.

Syrinx

Sailor Moon SuperS 159:

Ikuhara episode! I was a bit concerned when the episode began with
that terrible insert song with the Chibiusa x Pegasus montage
, but things quickly righted themselves and we got an episode of superb comedy. Although the scouts had their time apportioned equally in this episode, Minako gets extra credit for taking her position as the bitter romantic to its logical conclusion in this situation and assuming that
Chibiusa is dating two boys at once solely because it's Minako's personal fantasy
. oh yeah ami is a square as usual too

I finally know the origin of the Nehellenia head-tilt!

Okay I went through this show too fast for my own good in retrospect, and I just had a glass of Jack with honey, so I don't really remember the context, but what's square about that? She's rubbing her forehead with a towel. She even has a light smile. Are you expecting her to just mash her vagina into your face?

Jex

Sword Art Online Ep. 1

I know I KNOW. I should've been watching this ages ago but I was too busy watching Precure. OK

First of all THIS IS SO FREAKING GOOD OMG. 2nd What kind of F'd up situation... Wouldn't they STARVE to death in the real world? Too bad no magic.

Oh and Klein calling Kirito cute and his type I CAN'T. Seriously I was SCREAMING. DTL I need your impressions.

Best of luck to you.

Taruranto

http://shingeki.tv/news/archives/174

Attack on Titan Blu-ray volumes 3 and 6 will each have a special short "Blu-ray Disc Visual Novel", made by Nitroplus, that tells some sidestories and flashbacks for some of the characters.

More info

Bonus discs for BD vol.3 and vol.6 will have visual novels made by Nitroplus under Isayama's supervision.
Disc 1:
1. Lost in the cruel world (Mikasa side story)
2. Choice with no regrets (story about Levi and Erwin's past)
Disc 2:
1. Choice with no regrets (story about Levi and Erwin's past, continuation, probably?)
2. (no title yet) (Eren and Levi story)
3. Wall Sina, Goodbye (Annie story)

some of these sound really interesting, but i was hoping to see them in the manga.

Jewelpet Kira Deco 15

BSWu3QB.jpg
BZP9cU7.jpg
ligwoi0.jpg

So much animal abuse.

The creativity of the writers continues to impress me. It's clear they aren't asking themselves "What old cliches and formulas can we stitch together to get another episode out?" but rather "What premise can we take advantage of for maximum crazy antics? And how can we stuff a mackerel in somewhere?"

This time the premise was "The Jewelpets get trapped on a deserted island", and it was taken to its logical conclusion - they go insane from hunger and regress into feral animals. This made for a delightful half-hour of heated verbal and physical abuse as their loss of reason increasingly took hold. What really sold this was the excellent dynamic between the Jewelpets that has been developed. They've been given enough personality both as individuals and as a group that taking them out of their element like this and pushing them until things break makes for very enjoyable comedy. The capstone gag was perfect.

Especially with an episode like this, I am somehow reminded of the old Disney cartoons I enjoyed growing up in the 90s.

Syrinx

Mysterious Girlfriend X 3 (the real one)

I think having a pair of your girlfriends pantsu iqs being further along than kissing her.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Okay I went through this show too fast for my own good in retrospect, and I just had a glass of Jack with honey, so I don't really remember the context, but what's square about that? She's rubbing her forehead with a towel. She even has a light smile. Are you expecting her to just mash her vagina into your face?

The fuck? You admit to not remembering the context yet you have no problem saying something like that to me? It was a joke about how even a mild conversation on romance was too hot for her, chill out.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid 12

HNNNNNNG. If they ever do adapt the rest into an anime, I think people will be surprised to learn that
Gauron
isn't the main villain of the series, because I mean DAMN he's just got so much stage presence.

This episode gives us 3 more characters who critique Sousuke's character, as well as 2 who praise it. What follows is obviously some major spoilers for the entire season.

So first up we have Gauron, who as it happens is the mastermind behind basically the entire season. He explains some stuff to Sousuke and then gets down to business. Gauron's criticism is a complete 180 of everyone else's, but along the same lines as those who know him. Others criticized Sousuke for being the perfect soldier, or wanting to, and yet not following through. Gauron goes a step further, criticizing him for having been a Killer Saint and now falling short. The idea is the same, though: "You've changed, Sousuke, and for the worse." Except that with Gauron it's a lot more sinister, and it violates a lot of what was valid in the criticism supplied by others.

Gauron's examination of Sousuke has a diagnosis for the problem, though, and it is, as everyone else has pointed out: Kaname Chidori. He's got a cure for it, too: murdering her, which he claims he's done. Gauron correctly points out, and Sousuke agrees that he's changed, and it's because of Chidori, even more so than Mythril. So Gauron claims to have had Yu Lan sent to murder her. We know it isn't true (and what a shame that is, because it could've been an amazingly tense moment if they'd found a way to prevent us from knowing that.) and Sousuke snaps, which is precisely what Gauron wants.

Indeed, Gauron's entire scheme has been to lure Sousuke here to kill him, and as the bomb beneath his bed indicates, its possible he meant to kill him, too. Some have suggested that murdering Sousuke would have been a gesture of love on Gauron's part, just as allowing the Yu sisters to die was a gesture of love from him. I don't think so, though, because the next episode briefly has us see Sousuke exactly as Gauron wanted him to be: returned to his uncaring, unfeeling, violent self.

At this point I should mention that Gauron is one of the two characters who PRAISES Sousuke in the episode, and one of the few to do so in the whole season. His praise is of course for that Warrior Saint, and his scheme is to restore Sousuke to that state, or to make him the next Gauron. Gauron's praise, after a LONG number of people tearing into him is significant, principally because exactly one (two if you count a red shirt) more person is going to criticize Sousuke, and its going to make all the difference in the show.

The other two to criticize Sousuke this episode are the Yu sisters, and they don't actually criticize him so much as they're a good analogy for showing exactly why the badass, feels nothing killer teen is a bad thing for actual people to be, since, as Gauron points out, they're a lot like Sousuke.

The other person to praise Sousuke this episode is Tessa, and she does it in marvelous style, proving that while she may not be Best Girl, she's not done fighting for that title just yet. I always get kinda sad when people call Tessa the Loli captain, because she's actually a very good character, and I feel like the term belittles her in spite of that.

Okay, now I feel weird.

When I kept looking at CorvoSol's Full Metal Panic posts, I kept thinking: "Yeesh, I should probably watch Full Metal Alchemist one day if I want to watch these spin-offs." Then I look the show up and realize that Full Metal Panic is NOT a spin off and but an original property that has nothing to do with Full Metal Alchemist.

I gotta take a look at this now. Kanon and Infinite Stratos can wait.

Mr.Jeff

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid 12

HNNNNNNG. If they ever do adapt the rest into an anime, I think people will be surprised to learn that
Gauron
isn't the main villain of the series, because I mean DAMN he's just got so much stage presence.
I'm curious, have you read any of the novels that are set immediately after The Second Raid?

CorvoSol

Okay, now I feel weird.

When I kept looking at CorvoSol's Full Metal Panic posts, I kept thinking: "Yeesh, I should probably watch Full Metal Alchemist one day if I want to watch these spin-offs." Then I look the show up and realize that Full Metal Panic is NOT a spin off and but an original property that has nothing to do with Full Metal Alchemist.

I gotta take a look at this now. Kanon and Infinite Stratos can wait.

Full Metal Panic is about giant robots and you should watch it because it is good.

I'm curious, have you read any of the novels that are set immediately after The Second Raid?

I actually haven't read the novels yet, because when I first started watching this show, none were translated. I've been reading the manga, though, and am at the end of my rope waiting for Volume 18 to get translated already.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The fuck? You admit to not remembering the context yet you have no problem saying something like that to me? It was a joke about how even a mild conversation on romance was too hot for her, chill out.
Ok, let me tag in then. You completely misread her reaction, because it's not that Ami is faint of heart, but rather...

Ami has the dirtiest mind of them all. This is referenced multiple times.

Edit: Whoops, see my next post.

Night Raid 1931 - 13: At Least a Fragment of Hope - THE END

And this is where everything falls apart...

God.

Fucking.

Dammit, Nazume!
You just fucking stood there and took the bullet like an idiot, goddamn.

And man Kazura, for all his honor and devotion, turns loyalties at the drop of hat.

Oh yeah, and really fuck you Sakurai. You're a total fucking dick on the real. Don't you dare touch Yukina.

Oh shit...did...Shizune just lose her memory of Aoi? :'(

Nice bittersweet, "it's all but a memory now" ending. Really worked well.

Night Raid 1931 - 14: Panther in the Snow - EPILOGUE

One last hurrah it seems, but every one has gone back to their former-ish lives, given up their previous aliases. But it seems Kazura just can really refuse one more shot into the spy breach. But can he go through with betraying an old army friend?

Aoi's entrance was so fucking badass.
and while her memories are gone, he's got Shizune back!

And it kinda ended with a whimper, but at least we got one last goodbye for most of the group.

Overall this has been a decent enough series. Good characters, good drama. Needed a lot more action sequences, that's where the show really showed how good it could be.

I need to pick this up again. Stopped after the first episode. So ... 7/10 overall?

Mr.Jeff

I actually haven't read the novels yet, because when I first started watching this show, none were translated. I've been reading the manga, though, and am at the end of my rope waiting for Volume 18 to get translated already.
I wasn't sure where the manga crosses over but after a quick browse it looks like from Vol 6 onwards is just after The Second Raid.

I remember reading the novel just after that years back and being blown away by the following events and then having nothing for a good long while leaving it on a ridiculous cliffhanger. Worth reading the novel for I feel.

Part of me wonders if the reluctance to continue on with any more FMP! anime is because from that point on, there's no clear point where they'd be able to say "We can adapt these chapters/volumes and finish here and it won't suffer or end on a cliffhanger".

Then again, that might be ascribing too much thought to it all and more likely they just can't see a market for it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Haha, ok, sorry, just went back and checked and it's something far more basic.

Ami is thinking what you're thinking, Mad Pierrot!
Group of girls all imposing their own biases on Chibiusa. While it's still true that Ami has the dirtiest mind of them all (she reads a LOT yet is rather naive with how stuff works in real life), she's also the most perceptive by far and sees what's coming from the conversation.

Either way, some people in this thread come off as more interested in hating her rather than paying attention to her. :(

CorvoSol

I wasn't sure where the manga crosses over but after a quick browse it looks like from Vol 6 onwards is just after The Second Raid.

I remember reading the novel just after that years back and being blown away by the following events and then having nothing for a good long while leaving it on a ridiculous cliffhanger. Worth reading the novel for I feel.

Part of me wonders if the reluctance to continue on with any more FMP! anime is because from that point on, there's no clear point where they'd be able to say "We can adapt these chapters/volumes and finish here and it won't suffer or end on a cliffhanger".

Then again, that might be ascribing too much thought to it all and more likely they just can't see a market for it.

They could do the Christmas Cruise storyline, but after that, yeah, it's all basically
Sousuke's one man war against Leonard Testarossa.
I read the manga for the first time last fall and it was so good. Really would give a lot to have KyoAni (or anyone, but KyoAni's budget would be nice) finish the thing.

Theonik

Cardcaptor Sakura 06
iVOvmoHQW84fL.png

[REDACTED]
Bunch of pedos all up in here.
I remember this episode from when I had first looked at the show a good decade ago. It's interesting they resolved the
dead mom drama
so quickly. You'd expect a shot to wait until at least the 1x range before dealing with something like that. Cute outfits this episode too. That ending was cool. Poor old bro seems used to it though.

Either way, some people in this thread come off as more interested in hating her rather than paying attention to her. :(
I didn't even know Ami hate was a thing till Regulus said it a few pages ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom