• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Attack on Titan 7 & Aku no Hana 7

i42r5iwn2g71q.gif
i42r5iwn2g71q.gif

Both shows featured very pivotal scenes from their respective manga counterparts and both of them were adapted so amazingly well this week.

AoT probably could've done without that recap in the beginning of the episode but oh my lord, the second half of the episode more than made up for it.

Syrinx

Mysterious Girlfriend X 5

He licked her sweat. Ewwwwwwww.

Tsubaki can fuck right off with his shitty taste. That skirt was damn fine. Worth seeing the scissors tan line though.

I'm still waiting for another "wow" moment like in ep. 2.

Dokidoki 16

Transforming without stock footage? And de-transforming willfully? Just-offscreen Kamen Rider-style, but still.

Regina spamming them magics without a care in the world. Also, I find spontaneous teleoprts really funny for some reason.

Someone finally disagrees with Mana - even though the episode is about someone loving Mana.
And neither of those things are resolved by the end of the episode.
I sense actual development budding here.

Next episode looks to take further what was built up here.
Plus petrification beams from the MotW, glowy red eyes from Regina, and plastic trinkets being actively significant to the plot.

Dokidoki continues to impress.

Sounds good to me!

Attack on Titan 7

Shit gets even realer. It keeps showing off on how much the female characters don't suck. Guys are a bunch of wimps. I'd call em pussies but they can't take a pounding here.

Say you're at one somewhere in North America though. Who would be at a panel? People from Funi and Sentai I guess?

It depends on the size of the convention, but you can have panels from the various companies, voice actors, and some Japanese guests (voice actors, writers, directors, etc). Plus there are always plenty of fan run panels.

Larger conventions can attract a lot more big name guests (large numbers of voice actors, multiple Japanese guests, representatives from most companies), while smaller conventions might only be able to get a handful of guests, but it can vary quite a bit.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mysterious Girlfriend X 5

He licked her sweat. Ewwwwwwww.

Tsubaki can fuck right off with his shitty taste. That skirt was damn fine. Worth seeing the scissors tan line though.

I'm still waiting for another "wow" moment like in ep. 2.
Why are you watching this instead of finishing Tutu?

Dresden

aku no hana - 07

There's quite a bit to talk about this episode, but what happens at the end just blows it all away. What a stunning scene.

Two random thoughts that occurred to me as I watched the episode:

1. I knew Yoko Hikasa was voicing Saeki, but this is the first time where I truly connected the dots, if you know what I mean. Everything has just been so seamless and natural that extraneous VA-related trivia just hasn't occurred to me until now.

2. When
Nakamura and Kasuga are sneaking into the school
, note how
he takes off his shoes while she doesn't.
It's just another simple detail that says volumes about the kind of attention paid to their characterization--it's not just some niche that gets carved in and left alone. It's a steady, escalating build-up, one that
explodes at the end of this episode.

Mr. Nagahama could very well have handled it as a farce, but like the creator of the manga, he's chosen to tackle the inherent absurdities of the material with humanity and understanding. And in process of doing so, it's become . . . art.

Tenumi

Banned
Smile Precure: 27

Miyuki's grandma is so boss

In other news, the episode was a nice filler. Hurray for Character and Background development!

Pooya

Aku hana 7

I've only watched the first 2 episodes and going to see 7 now, I have read the manga ages ago though I know what happens. The atmosphere is really well done, I think actors are actually doing much better vs first episodes, still lip syncing makes it hard to watch. The ending scene was very well done. I might go catch up on ep3-6 if I find the time. hmm

Dresden

spotted sdburton.

---

At this point the only way Yuri Danshi is going to get some translations is if it gets an anime . . . there was a drama cd last year, apparently:

edT6DaO.jpg

(yes, the cover amused me)

CAST :
Hanadera Keisuke : Fukeyama Jun / 花寺啓介 : 福山潤
Kakome Shojuro : Sakurai Takahiro / 籠目正二郎 : 櫻井孝宏
Kamakura Yutaka : Okiayu Ryotarou / 鎌倉豊 : 置鮎龍太郎
Sakuraoka Kenji : Yasumoto Hiroki / 桜ヶ丘健司 : 安元洋貴
Musashino Hiroyuki : Okamoto Nobuhiko / 武蔵野弘之 : 岡本信彦
Fujigaya Saori : Sakura Ayane / 藤ヶ谷沙織 : 佐倉綾音
Miyatori Akane : Tomatsu Haruka / 宮鳥茜 : 戸松遥
Matsuoka Ryo : Kayano Ai / 松岡涼 : 茅野愛衣

CorvoSol

We can talk about animal-people having lesbian sex if you want.

Hey, I'm just playing off the way CorvoSol went giddy at that scene in Escaflowne and rushed here with a GIF of it. The contrast between that episode and his standoffish post is too amusing to pass up even ignoring the overlap with my own interests.

Yeah but there's nothing hypocritical or unwholesome about two cat ladies about to engage in cat lady sex. It's the most innocent thing in the world.

Especially not when those cat people are possibly also sisters. This is clearly a different, unrelated and distinct problem and my position as a pure white knight of the highest moral standing remains untainted.

Narag

Yeah but there's nothing hypocritical or unwholesome about two cat ladies about to engage in cat lady sex. It's the most innocent thing in the world.

Especially not when those cat people are possibly also sisters. This is clearly a different, unrelated and distinct problem and my position as a pure white knight of the highest moral standing remains untainted.

that feeling when the best thing gets better

Metrotab

Banned
Looks like I have a LOT to look forward to tonight.

Attack on Titan - 6

AMAZING backstory. I love revenge stories. Fucking up those who wronged you, that's what I like to see in my action shows.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Aku no Hana 7

Holy fucking shit.

Best episode. Best show of the season. Best show of the year. Fuck fuck fuck, this was sooooooooo good.

The manga can't compete. This episode was perfection on every level. The ending was jaw to the floor so damn good. The mood and atmosphere in the show is completely unmatched.

This was seriously the best episode of anime I've watched in years. I honestly cannot believe there are shiteaters out there who can't comprehend how fucking great this show is. Honestly though I would have been one of those people if some good folks in here didn't talk me into watching the first episode.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
spotted sdburton.

---

At this point the only way Yuri Danshi is going to get some translations is if it gets an anime . . . there was a drama cd last year, apparently:

Yep been reading it (
looking at the panels
)

If there were ever news that would literally make me break down in tears of joy, it would be Yuri Danshi getting an anime. With the absurd shit that gets picked up by translators this days, the fact that Yuri Danshi continues to be ignored makes my blood boil.

CorvoSol

that feeling when the best thing gets better

You need to know that feel when Hito says the exact thing that makes it so you can't defend any possible position at all, cuz that's what feel I feeled when I realized those cat ladies were possibly also sisters. I don't think the show ever SAYS it, but I mean, it seems to be suggested.

cajunator

Banned

Hey Corvy-kun have you watched Jinki Extend?
I bought it super cheap on a whim and it looks kind of mecha-ish with Cute in it.
Was just curious if you had seen it? (or others maybe)

CorvoSol

Hey Corvy-kun have you watched Jinki Extend?
I bought it super cheap on a whim and it looks kind of mecha-ish with Cute in it.
Was just curious if you had seen it? (or others maybe)

I've never heard of it, but I've just been reminded that I do have on hand the list of every mecha show I've watched.

Narag

Hyouge Mono 5

bPEoRvwl.png

Oh hey some action.

Looks like there's going to be some duality going on with the rat faced general pursuing his revolutionary goals while Sasuke pursues his own via the tea jars.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You need to know that feel when Hito says the exact thing that makes it so you can't defend any possible position at all, cuz that's what feel I feeled when I realized those cat ladies were possibly also sisters. I don't think the show ever SAYS it, but I mean, it seems to be suggested.
Truth is a funny thing. It's difficult, discomforting, painful, confusing, disturbing, confounding, shocking, and sometimes the absolute last thing we want to hear...

But it will set you free.

Bleach 9 - 10 (engdub, nth rewatch, via neon alley)
tumblr_m64ok5I8X31rtfi82o5_250.gif

Back in the day Bwahahah, still cracked me up and they even threw out Number One. Too bad Don Kanoiji is also just not used anymore.

-------------

Also got more anime on today to add to my current stack of unread and unwatched stuff.
tumblr_mn0nm8mr7E1qbxqfpo1_500.jpg

CorvoSol

The Best I've Ever Watched:
Martian Successor Nadesico
Full Metal Panic!-Fumoffu-The Second Raid
Eureka Seven
G Gundam
The Big O
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: The War in the Pocket

Pretty Damn Good:
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Code Geass
GaoGaiGar-Final
Vision of Escaflowne
Rin-ne no Lagrange
Mobile Suit Gundam

It's Good:
Zoids New Century Zero
ReBuild of Evangelion
Gundam Wing
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Gundam SEED

It's Not Bad:
08th MS Team
Broken Blade

Yeah It's Pretty Bad:
Betterman
Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
Gundam SEED Destiny

It's Truly Awful:
Rah Xephon
Gundam AGE

I Would Not Wish it On My Worst Enemy:
Gundam 00

Still Watching:
Gun x Sword
Kiddy Grade
Code Geass R2
ZZ Gundam
Gargantia
Majestic Prince
Valvrave

Truth is a funny thing. It's difficult, discomforting, painful, confusing, disturbing, confounding, shocking, and sometimes the absolute last thing we want to hear...

But it will set you free.

I think I would only go so far as to call it inconvenient and somewhat embarrassing at this juncture, tho.

Mature

Eureka Seven
G Gundam
The Big O

Pretty Damn Good:
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Code Geass
GaoGaiGar-Final
Vision of Escaflowne
Rin-ne no Lagrange
Mobile Suit Gundam

It's Good:
Zoids New Century Zero
ReBuild of Evangelion
Gundam Wing
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Gundam SEED

It's Not Bad:
08th MS Team
Broken Blade

Yeah It's Pretty Bad:
Betterman
Gundam SEED Destiny

It's Truly Awful:
Rah Xephon
Gundam AGE

Gundam 00

Still Watching:
Gun x Sword
Kiddy Grade
Code Geass R2
ZZ Gundam
Gargantia
Majestic Prince
Valvrave
Where does Bebop fall? =)

wonzo

Banned
spotted sdburton.

---

edT6DaO.jpg

This needs to be translated so bad. ;_;

I thought this weeks episode was :DTL and not :SDBurton?

Or has the definition of Cucumbers suddenly changed x_x
The wonders of "Country Grown Cucumbers" are not restricted to any one gender!

Metrotab

Banned
Aku no Hana - 7

In every righteous universe that exists, this show will be AOTY. No other in the season can face off against the wonderful core this anime hides behinds its rotoscoped, unappealing burr.

wonzo

Banned
Photo Kano 7

photokano7.jpg

This was actually a really good episode. It had some good use of perspective to keep things visually interesting, the pacing was nice and it kept a fairly upbeat and optimistic tone to it throughout the whole thing which made the flashback far more effective than it would've been otherwise. Definitely the best episode yet given that it accomplished a fair bit in such a short amount of time.

Yuasa definitely does good work when he's restrained to doing things shorter than a full-length movie.

Syrinx

Princess Tutu 23

I feel like I don't entirely understand Drosselmeyer's motives here.
He seems upset that the story has come to a halt, yet he doesn't want Tutu carrying out her plan. He says that it would be boring if the story ended that way. Bit if I had to guess, he simply doesn't want the story to end. If it was up to hi., everybody would just go where the story takes them, and it would continue on forever. Which I guess is why he's nonoe too pleased with Tutu and Fakir finding their own feelings and motivations and trying to act on them and save Mytho.

Kraehe,s flashback was breaking my heart. And then she discovers that shes not really the raven's daughter...damn. Hopefully that revelation can bring about some redemption and a cathartic ending for her.

Narag

Gintama 62

43UpoBSl.png

Laughed hard. Reminded me Abrahams/Zucker/Zucker style movies where there's shenanigans going on in the background just for the sake of it.

NDhL2xul.png

More reference comedy done right.

This is like the perfect way to followup the Benizakura stuff. Great glimpse at Gintoki's past in that arc followed by the interviews of what Gintoki means to the people around him. Also makes sense in that the Shingengumi needed to investigate what happened then.

Will sneak One Piece 62 in later, have a suicide pact to attend to first.

Gintama 62
This is like the perfect way to followup the Benizakura stuff. Great glimpse at Gintoki's past in that arc followed by the interviews of what Gintoki means to the people around him. Also makes sense in that the Shingengumi needed to investigate what happened then.

Will sneak One Piece 62 in later, have a suicide pact to attend to first.

Yamazaki is such a great character.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Eureka Seven
G Gundam
The Big O

Pretty Damn Good:
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Code Geass
GaoGaiGar-Final
Vision of Escaflowne
Rin-ne no Lagrange
Mobile Suit Gundam

It's Good:
Zoids New Century Zero
ReBuild of Evangelion
Gundam Wing
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Gundam SEED

It's Not Bad:
08th MS Team
Broken Blade

Yeah It's Pretty Bad:
Betterman
Gundam SEED Destiny

It's Truly Awful:
Rah Xephon
Gundam AGE

Gundam 00

Still Watching:
Gun x Sword
Kiddy Grade
Code Geass R2
ZZ Gundam
Gargantia
Majestic Prince
Valvrave

I think I would only go so far as to call it inconvenient and somewhat embarrassing at this juncture, tho.

If you can recall, what did you dislike about Broken Blade? I ask cause it's actually one the mech genre I really enjoyed.

Ojamajo Doremi 8

Of course there's always a second chance for the rare failure! And she still needs her friends.

Doremi gets thrown under the bus quite a lot in terms of competence. But she has her fairy
who apparently runs away the next episode :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom