• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard of cat girls but dog girls. Well played Japan, though they look kinda the same except for having a bushier tail and ears pointing down.

Dog girls>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cat girls. Helps that they're based off a happy animal that unconditionally loves you instead of one that is always tsundere.

Jex

Nadia: Secret of Blue Water FIN

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

AAAAaaaaAAAAAaaaaaaaaah.

I just. The ending. And the. Boom. Hearts. Drama. Death. Hope. Space. Aaaaaaaaaaah.

Edit: I'm going to wait till tomorrow before typing out more detailed thoughts on this. I have so much I wanna say, but it's all completely incoherent in its current form.

This sounds about right.

No shounen is amazing at the beginning. Hunter x Hunter takes a while to get going, but it changes DRAMATICALLY after the hunter exam. More compelling characters get introduced, the current characters get more interesting, and it gets VERY dark and depressing.

It's a spoiler, but if you need some convincing, watch this fight. If you still don't like it after that, I don't know what to tell you.

If thats the best of HunterxHunter then I am glad I did not waste my time watching it. Seriously that fight pales in comparison to some of the best in Naruto,Bleach and Full metal alchemist.

There are plenty of kemonomimi in anime. Catgirls are just a more famous type.

Holy crap, this is an actual thing.

Dog girls>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cat girls. Helps that they're based off a happy animal that unconditionally loves you instead of one that is always tsundere.

Dogs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cats

dunno about

Dog girls>>>>>>>Cat girls

yet but this could be the start of something great.

Attack on Titan Episode 7 – The Small Blade - The Battle for Trost (3)
tumblr_mn1xdm9Sy11qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mn1xdm9Sy11qbxqfpo2_500.png

The anime has really taken a turn for the better. It just feels really different and a bit more pleasing when focused on the great characters of the cast, specifically, Jean is a rather interesting character and definitely deserves more screentime as his own compelling ideals, personal struggles and desires, and potential for leadership makes him worth following. And to think he even still thinks of Eren, nice. Connie Springer as well too, a a near and dear favorite still, and ultimately sincere and diligent in all his ways and very caring for his peers. Combined, both make a great team and excellent leads, greatly complementing those skills and character traits embodied and emphasized by the main character of the first few episodes. I hope Connie and Jean do lead us on various missions and what not in the future.

Speculative thinking on ep7...
The titan was alright but I think they just made it way too obvious, I guess that is just the flaws of the medium as that even sounded and acts like Eren. I think I have mixed reactions about it, as I definitely prefer human forme and would have wanted him to have achieved elite sword skills, pro abilities, and what not. Getting ugly is not a powerup I wanted, but still, rather creative thing done to definitely bring some hope and light into this very dim world.

cajunator

Banned
If thats the best of HunterxHunter then I am glad I did not waste my time watching it. Seriously that fight pales in comparison to some of the best in Naruto,Bleach and Full metal alchemist.

Holy crap, this is an actual thing.

Dogs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cats

dunno about

Dog girls>>>>>>>Cat girls

yet but this could be the start of something great.

Holo is a good example. shes a wolfgirl. close enough.

But I like both kinds.
Eruruu from Utawarerumono for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUxribpvKTo

Steroyd

I disagree, but please, keep clarifying.

There's one or two good gags (out of four or five) per episode up to halfway through the series, also lots of intermission non-events inbetween each gag.

2nd half of the series was much improved.

What does AnoHana have to do with anything here?

AnoHana itself, nothing, my opinion that I think it would be better "cut down" just like Nichijou is the same.

I was looking forward to that too.

You want me to appease you and say it was just a coincidence?

What does the compilation order prove?

That there are gags that didn't get the axe?

Ultimadrago

There's one or two good gags (out of four or five) per episode up to halfway through the series

Again disagreed, but your perceived "ratio" doesn't have much to do with the initial argument.
You haven't shared a single voice documented from anyone involved in the marketing/development supporting this point nor in relation to the edit.

AnoHana itself, nothing, my opinion that I think it would be better "cut down" just like Nichijou is the same.

Um, okay?

You want me to appease you and say it was just a coincidence?

You've stated that you don't have any credible proof directly stating the contrary. If the shoe fits.

That there are gags that didn't get the axe?

Of course there are, it's an edited 2-cour to 1-cour version. If they took them all out, there wouldn't be an edited version. As stated before, there could be a plethora of reasons some were cut and others stayed. You haven't given any evidence that your conclusion was even regarded in NHK's decision. You have it or you don't.

This too much for my brain..
Then when character dying its mean the stake are high for the main character, and by this your very logic (I don't) its will much more pleasant when the main character triumph right? Because its much more satisfying when they pass the hurdle when you can feel the sense of danger and hardship.

Even your point are absurd, "Good side/main group victim"?
You are grieving over shouta and pretty boy character that have insignificant screen time, that hardly count.. they're not different than other victim to moving the plot, jebus.

And my biggest problem are can you just said "I just prefer this way"
Instead dropping word like bad quality, storytelling, writer have bad moment etc when plot not in your favor?
That just fucking distasteful.
Especially when you are always on minority side because your unique "taste"

In series with universes where characters can die and have no chance for revival, I would prefer if a story keeps the protagonists from ever actually dying. Sure they can get close to death and what not, but they shouldn't die as that is just not good. Only time I can see dying as permissible and believable is at the end of the story. The peripheral cast should be spared too. Ultimately, in all cases of death, there have just been other alternative ways to write the story to enable the character to still be close enough to death to stimulate our emotions in the intended means but then to write some way for them to escape it. Choice characters dying is really just one of the worst things a writer can do, its just as bad as seeing characters lose.

Distasteful? the characters that I get behind and connect with and get excited by, the actually good characters, really there is no logical way that they should ever die of face bad fates. They always have good skills and buffs with them that it shouldnt really be believable or acceptable for them to die, and if anything, I always sit and wait in anticipation for them to pull out some great skill there when its needed most to win. It may be typically seen as predictable but it is often exciting to me for some reason. It makes us feel good, essentially, proof that, it is, in fact, really good writing.

Narag

Speculative thinking on ep7...
The titan was alright but I think they just made it way too obvious, I guess that is just the flaws of the medium as that even sounded and acts like Eren. I think I have mixed reactions about it, as I definitely prefer human forme and would have wanted him to have achieved elite sword skills, pro abilities, and what not. Getting ugly is not a powerup I wanted, but still, rather creative thing done to definitely bring some hope and light into this very dim world.

I think the eyes were a big tip too. I'd rather them have approached it without what you or I mentioned and simply used the fighting stance as the big hint. Think it would have been that much more powerful.

Kurita

In series with universes where characters can die and have no chance for revival, I would prefer if a story keeps the protagonists from ever actually dying. Sure they can get close to death and what not, but they shouldn't die as that is just not good. Only time I can see dying as permissible and believable is at the end of the story. The peripheral cast should be spared too. Ultimately, in all cases of death, there have just been other alternative ways to write the story to enable the character to still be close enough to death to stimulate our emotions in the intended means but then to write some way for them to escape it. Choice characters dying is really just one of the worst things a writer can do, its just as bad as seeing characters lose.

I don't see why death is a bad thing. Really.

/XX/

Aw, I miss more blogs in English from animators in Japan like the abandoned one by Cindy Yamauchi at her website AnimeStyle Pro:

Cindy's Blog Archives
http://animestylepro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=14&Itemid=87

It had a fair amount of interesting information not only as an insight into the Japanese animation industry but also as a broad look into cultural or everyday matters for a foreign citizen living in that country.

Nowadays, she mostly 'tweets' in Japanese (https://twitter.com/cindy560a)...

Of course there are, it's an edited version. If they took them all out, there wouldn't be an edited version. As stated before, there could be a plethora of reasons some were cut and others stayed. You haven't given any evidence that your conclusion was even regarded by NHK's decision. You have it or you don't.
Didn't it was said that for the NHK Educational TV airing they wanted more content for determined segments of the series? I'm more inclined to believe that their producers were interested in an edit/cut more tailored to what kind of content they wanted to show on that channel, rather than just cherry-picking based on 'skit popularity or perceived quality' reasons.

I think the eyes were a big tip too. I'd rather them have approached it without what you or I mentioned and simply used the fighting stance as the big hint. Think it would have been that much more powerful.
AoT spoilers
I'm not sure it's that big of a deal that it was obvious, the next episode is probably going to show us how it happened anyway. And if the Eren Titan is going to be a recurring thing, it's appearance can't be changed just for one event.

I don't see why death is a bad thing. Really.

Permanent death is great ..it shape the odds , it give the protagonists and the antagonist objectives and attributes it's excellent to move the plot when it's done right ( And hxh does it right ). For example
Kurapica co-workers
during the york shin arc . Not only it shaped kurapica presence during that arc but also provided the perfect escuses for the events that occured. Hence why Gon was angry at the brigade when they realised that they weren't 1 - dimensionnal murderers but cared about the group too.
It's great really.

Now the greatest plague that is poisonning Shonen manga stories is the not permanent death ( dragon ball & naruto are guilty of this ) and it's something that need to be stopped , damn the popularity pools , let them rest in peace !

Ultimadrago

Didn't it was said that for the NHK Educational TV airing they wanted more content for determined segments of the series? I'm more inclined to believe that their producers were interested in an edit/cut more tailored to what kind of content they wanted to show on that channel, rather than just cherry-picking based on 'skit popularity' reasons.

Yeah, Seraphis Cain brought that up as well. I haven't read on that myself yet, but I find that much more likely than and would trust your prior knowledge of a statement before taking Steroyd's unsupported claim or wonzo's superficial criticisms seriously.

Narag

AoT spoilers
I'm not sure it's that big of a deal that it was obvious, the next episode is probably going to show us how it happened anyway. And if the Eren Titan is going to be a recurring thing, it's appearance can't be changed just for one event.

Like DTL said, it's probably a flaw in the medium it worked out this way and for a show riding on unpredictability, I'd think being less obvious would be better in the long run.

Can we put aside the petty arguments at least for Cajun/wideface day? Arguing with brick walls isn't fun for anyone anyway.

cats > dogs

Quote for subjective opinion TRUTH!

Earth Farmer Arjuna 4

Man this episode just felt good. BS about farming aside the art and sound design were rather well done with very little that looked cheap, it kind of made me want to go hiking. Any episode with less Chris or interpreter girl is a good thing and what was left almost felt like a SoL show. Unfortunately there's also very little that's compelling about this show ATM, I don't plan to drop it but I'm definitely not in the mood to marathon it either. I'm tempted to marathon Flowers of Evil though to get to this amazing episode 7 I keep hearing about.

If thats the best of HunterxHunter then I am glad I did not waste my time watching it. Seriously that fight pales in comparison to some of the best in Naruto,Bleach

I'll have to disagree there. It's definitely above the shounen standard in animation and choreography.

Either way, the series is about more than just the fights. The buildup is important too, and it makes that particular arc one of the best in the genre.

Let's make that even better.

Direct link to the BlazBlue Alter Memory teaser:

http://www.twitch.tv/kurushii/b/405384670?t=326m9s

From before:
Director: Hideki Tachibana
Assistant Director: Seiji Mizushima (FMA, Gundam 00)
Series Composition: Deko Akao (Arakawa Under the Bridge, Mysterious Girlfriend X)

Also the animation production will be a collaboration between teamKG, which seems to be some studio no one has ever heard of, and Hoods Entertainment (Qwaser of Stigmata, Mysterious Girlfriend X). Character design is Tomoyki Shitaya (Bakuman, Hatsukoi Limited).

This seems to be the official site: http://blazblue-am.jp

Listed on the cast page currently are Ragna, Noel, Jin, Rachel, Hazama, Taokaka, Litchi, Tager, Tsubaki, Kokonoe, and Makoto.

There is a disturbing, but not surprising, lack of Bang.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
RZE8kWc.jpg

Gargantia 7

Really enjoyed this episode. Shit got real. Can't wait to see where the show goes from here. As much as I loved the ARIA vibe that most of this show had it eventually had to go back to the actual conflict.

Fucking :jnc
at the ending, theres something really fitting about signifying the frailty of human mortality at the end of the episode that deals with the conflict between the two groups.

Ledo is totally in the wrong here. Honestly the Gargantia would be better off
putting a bullet in his head rather than letting him hang around on Earth. There is no chance in hell he can take them all on. It's fucking impossible.

The foreshadowing going on from previous episodes was great. You had the
whalesquid
reference from last episode and Ledo's inability to fight at all
underewater was shown much earlier on against the battle with the pirates

And yeah Pinion is totally
going to get killed very soon. SO MANY DEATH FLAGS

Can't decide if this is my favorite show this season, its back and forth with Aku no Hana. I'm just glad this season is actually quite enjoyable.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet Episode 7 – A Soldier's Fate
tumblr_mn23onwj1b1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Best side character design after Bebel. Wow this had to have been the best episode on Gargantia yet. Suspense, drama, and just plain intense the whole time, Amy was a bit annoying and aggravating there but otherwise am glad were finally going places.
If Fleet Commander dies...In any event, I hope agreement is reached to take out these WhaleSquid/Hideauze before they themselves attack the humans, why no one agree with Ledo. Better safe than sorry

Narag

One Piece 62

wwHbwHsl.png

vDLFCwyl.png

WRNBbNel.png

Good faces.

cWXH0wA.png

Still don't know why but my opinion of Luffy's design always improves when he gets a little definition in his arms. Guess I think it's just befitting of his character.

Christ, idiot Luffy is so bad. Strawhat interatction with Crocus was funny though, especially the self-aware running gag comment.

Ultimadrago

Aw, I miss more blogs in English from animators in Japan like the abandoned one by Cindy Yamauchi at her website AnimeStyle Pro:

Cindy's Blog Archives
http://animestylepro.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=14&Itemid=87

It had a fair amount of interesting information not only as an insight into the Japanese animation industry but also as a broad look into cultural or everyday matters for a foreign citizen living in that country.

Nowadays, she mostly 'tweets' in Japanese (https://twitter.com/cindy560a)...

Neat blog! Man, every time I see Cobra I'm reminded of that Dezaki goodness.

cobra1aslg.jpg

The Satoshi Kon piece is sad. How unfortunate...

madp

The Light of El Cantare
cats vs. dogs is one of the shittiest cyclical OT topics, right up there with tipping and circumcision. Reasonable people agree that they're both fine creatures with their own sets of joys and frustrations and worthy of partnership with humans.

e: not implying that anyone is seriously debating this, just sayin'. /indiscriminate animal lover

Syrinx

cats vs. dogs is one of the shittiest cyclical OT topics, right up there with tipping and circumcision. Reasonable people agree that they're both fine creatures with their own sets of joys and frustrations and worthy of partnership with humans.

e: not implying that anyone is seriously debating this, just sayin'. /indiscriminate animal lover
I think Kobe vs. Jordan vs.LeBron is the most tiring as of late

cajunator

Banned
Can we put aside the petty arguments at least for Cajun/wideface day? Arguing with brick walls isn't fun for anyone anyway.

Quote for subjective opinion TRUTH!

Earth Farmer Arjuna 4

Man this episode just felt good. BS about farming aside the art and sound design were rather well done with very little that looked cheap, it kind of made me want to go hiking. Any episode with less Chris or interpreter girl is a good thing and what was left almost felt like a SoL show. Unfortunately there's also very little that's compelling about this show ATM, I don't plan to drop it but I'm definitely not in the mood to marathon it either. I'm tempted to marathon Flowers of Evil though to get to this amazing episode 7 I keep hearing about.

The version of Mameshiba used in that episode is absolutely gorgeous.

Branduil

Eh, it's only tiring when it's a pit bull attack thread and pit bull owners reflexively respond with "it's all bad owners/my dog would never do that/media conspiracy/they're not even a real breed/how dare you want to kill my dog" strawman arguments even when people aren't saying that.

I like turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom