• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Gargantia] - 7 a.k.a
Nausicaa

This was an extremely well made and rather tense episode of Gargantia. The pacing solid as well, with all the most intense scenes reserved for the beginning and the end of the episode while the middle portion of the story was devoted to character sequences that actually paid off within the same episode. As always, the show looks gorgeous (bar the CG), thanks in part to the colour work. These are all good things. I'm just laying them out here so that I don't appear too negative.

Despite how well constructed this episode undoubtedly was I still can't help be disappointed with the direction the story went in. By direction I mean
essentially turning into Nausicaa on the sea. Well, not quite, there are obvious differences but the similarities are fairly obvious. For those of you not familiar with the film, Nausicaa, the elements that the two works share include: a post-apocalyptic setting, a girl with an animal mascot, flying on gliders, a powerful creature that doesn't attack unless it's provoked, a culture which states that attacking such creatures is wrong, a race of creatures which then swarm to the location of where one of their brethren died and those humans who are foolish enough to go against the tradition in search of power/treasure/technology.

Some of the comparisons are rather superficial but the core themes are right out of Nausicaa, right to the scene with whalesquid moving in on the fleet being pretty similar to the herd of the Ohm moving out against a town. There's nothing inherently wrong with taking ideas from another story, but if you aren't going to change them at all or do anything interesting with them then that's pretty lazy. It's still too early to say if this story is going to develop in a more original direction, of course and the show has other story elements going for it. I was just surprised to see them borrowing so heavily and so rigidly from another story.

Also, I called this last week, etc etc, even if it was super obvious foreshadowing

It's a little bit odd to see the show switch gears so suddenly, but as the last couple of episodes felt like they're own self-contained storyline you couldn't really excuse this series of indulging in mood whiplash. I say that, however, with the benefit of waiting a whole week in between episodes. On the home video release it might not feel quite a natural a transition.

cajunator

Banned
I like turtles.

This is the best animal
axolotl.jpg

Necrovex

Wolf Children: Ame and Yuki.

After hearing about all the hype in Anime-Gaf about this film, I have been interested in it for a long while. I loved the director's past film, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, but I wasn't the biggest fan of Summer Wars. So, I wasn't sure if I would love the film or find it simply decent (and overrated).

Well, I certainly didn't expect Wolf Children to surpass my love for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, but holy hell, it did. Everything about this film was simply top-notch, and in a way, mystifying. The characters were all well-written, and I found every character (barring the super minor characters) interesting, and there wasn't a moment in the film where I was "bored."

Now, I am going to touch upon on major plot spoilers. So, to be safe, I'm just going to spoiler tag everything until the very end:
I was a bigger fan of Yuki's character and her story arc. I didn't expect Yuki and Ame to switch roles. But I'm glad they did. Yuki's story arc and her struggle in school was really nice to watch. I loved her development, and her part in the third act.

What I really loved is the ending scene involving Ame and Hana. I've been studying Japanese, so I found it really neat to connect his name, which means rain in Japanese, and the whole rain sequence. That whole ending bit as he runs away to become an adult, and the moment between Hana and her decease husband made me almost cry.

I do have one question: how did Hana's husband die? When I was watching the film, I was talking to a friend, and I didn't really see how that entire scene played out.

When the voting thread opens up for this year, Wolf Children will probably reach my number one spot. This film was magnificent. I loved everything about it. A true masterpiece.

NYARUKO OAV

Woah ..this episode was excellent .

But how many franchises , serie did they just insulted(trolling ) in only 14 minutes ?
-Kamen rider
-pretty cure
-accel world
-dragon ball Z
-men in black
-evangelion
-sailor moon
-hyouka
Haiyore%21%20Nyaruko-san%20-%20OVA%20_01.jpg

Don't be fooled by the costume that was clearly a futari wa precure reference !

and i probably missed some.
There was a monster hunter reference too .
As a whole they totally showed their preference for super heroes shows instead of magical girls , but that didn't prevent them from using a magical transformation scene of high quality.!

Haiyore%21%20Nyaruko-san%20-%20OVA%20_02.jpg

No comments needed

So this oav was quite good , even if it was short

(nobody will see my sneak edit )

Gargantia - 7

Damn, I was on the edge of my seat this episode.

This is pure speculation, but I'm starting to think that this show is going to go in the direction of George Orwell's 1984.

Since the Whalesquid/Hideauze didn't attack the ship when they passed by it, I'm starting to think that this Galactic Alliance started this fight with them just to keep people in check. If they really don't attack unless provoked, then the war they started is completely artificial and unnecessary. It makes sense when you add up their harsh systems of the weak being eliminated, Ledo's resolve for living being to kill the Hideauze, and his robotic personality. Ledo feels that there can't be any peace unless he keeps fighting and killing the Hideauze, a la War is Peace. He's been brainwashed by this alliance.

Now I really want to see this Galactic Alliance again and their civilization, because I have a hunch that Ledo's world is just one big dystopian society.

Jex

[Gargantia] - 7

Speculation and spoilers:

Now that we can see that Hideazure/Squidthings don't attack unless provoked it raises the obvious question: have they ever attacked mankind without being provoked first? The only footage we've seen of them destroying colonies is propaganda and the only full scale attack we've seen is humans attacking them on their own territory. If the show is going to go in a fairly predictable direction, and I fear it might, then one would assume that the 'war' is a sham to keep humanity in check.

I see someone else has basically said the same thing above, which isn't that surprising. It seems almost too obvious that they will go in that direction.

Smile Precure 20

That's cuz we're invisible girls!

Cameras really do steal something from you, and thus leads to entertaining gags, as well as the recurring scene of Majorina going to the police box. Akane played with Nao the most while being invisible though. Take that as you will.

Once again, ReikaBot shows off how she's competent and practically does all the work necessary for the killing blow. She makes Cure Happy look pointless... well rather everyone to be exact.

2 Episodes until Doomsday.

I like how the ending just came full circle with the beginning of the episode

survivor

Banned
I always end up getting at least one in each game, though I also spend tons of time trying to find males of every pkmn, its so tedious sometimes tons of encounters.

I won't lie. I do seek out certain genders of Pokemon if I want to use them on my team.

Dunno why you guys would do this. The moment the Pokemon I catch has the appropriate the nature/ability, I'm satisfied.

How do you decide which/when you want male or female?

Half of it is balance, so like half males and half females.

And if I think if it would nicer to have a female or a male one. Like I remember in White 2 (which I am probably never going to finish), I spent a good deal of time trying to catch a decent nature, female with Technician Minccino. Of course, all of that went down the drain once I realized the game literally gives you a Skill Link Minccino. ._.

Dunno why you guys would do this. The moment the Pokemon I catch has the appropriate the nature/ability, I'm satisfied.

I will admit, I do give up if I end up catching the right nature and ability. Catching the right Pokemon for my team takes longer than raising them sometimes.

Thoraxes

Gargantia - 07

Ugh, I hope the story doesn't get that predictable. It's pretty obvious what's gonna happen now, so I hope it doesn't. The very ending was especially laugh-worthy and almost feels forced,
especially how he stopped before his final word. I mean, come on!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The only shiny I've ever gotten was a shiny Hitmontop that looked like a turd back in Crystal. :/ It's weird because I swear the Hitmontop I evolved it from wasn't shiny...

No idea, I pretty much stopped paying attention to the details of Pokemon evolution once they all started sounding like Clue murders.

Funny you say that, cause one of the rumors for the next games is that to evolve one of the Pokemon, you'll have flip your 3DS upside when it levels to get it to evolve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom