• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

Crosspost from the Gargantia thread, I just watched the first three episodes !

I really don't want to keep talking about this episode but the way Ledo acted is barely different to how modern governments act to pirates. Obviously the tech isn't the same, but military squads will take out hostiles at the first opportunity, even more so if they can guarantee the hostage's safety. So I find it hard to believe that a fleet of that size can exist when they let pirates walk over them like that. They would be raided on a regular basis at the least. Of course, the pirates on this show are basically Saturday morning cartoon villains so I'm probably not doing myself a favour by comparing this to real world scenarios.

fertygo

Majestic Prince 03-04
I thought the premise are the mech show that take itself least seriously among that airing this season? Its like the exact opposite that happened.

Someone need to responsible for the lies.
Its just bland mecha show like Linebarrel, not even excited to see these unit in SRW.

duckroll

I really don't want to keep talking about this episode but the way Ledo acted is barely different to how modern governments act to pirates. Obviously the tech isn't the same, but military squads will take out hostiles at the first opportunity, even more so if they can guarantee the hostage's safety. So I find it hard to believe that a fleet of that size can exist when they let pirates walk over them like that. They would be raided on a regular basis at the least. Of course, the pirates on this show are basically Saturday morning cartoon villains so I'm probably not doing myself a favour by comparing this to real world scenarios.

Keep telling yourself that.

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2009/04/soma-a13.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/13/maersk-alabama-bainbridge-pirates-navy-us

US special operations forces carried out a commando operation Sunday against Somali pirates holding the captain of a US freight vessel. The captain, Richard Phillips, was freed and military sharpshooters killed three of the Somalis.

Piracy has become increasingly common in the waters off the coast of Somalia—in the Indian Ocean and the Gulf of Aden—as the political and social situation in the country has deteriorated. However, this is the first hijacking involving a US-flagged vessel. Most of these incidents are resolved peacefully, and the ransom demanded by hostage-takers is seen by freight companies as a cost of doing business.

The outcome will lead to an increase in violent confrontations in hijacking episodes, only heightening the danger to ship crews in the area. This fact was acknowledged by Vice Admiral William Gortney, head of US Navy Central Command, who said on Sunday that the action “could escalate violence in this part of the world.”

They said that a fourth pirate who survived was believed to be between 16 and 20 years old, and had in effect surrendered before the sniper rescue.

So in real world situations, if you really want to compare:
- Most piracy hostage situations are resolved peacefully
- The US government intervened violently in 2009 by killing 3 of the 4 pirates who were holding the hostage on a boat
- Surrender was an option before they used lethal force
- Regardless, that incident sparked concern that pirates in general in the region could turn more violent because of escalated force

Now let's look at Gargantia:
- Over 30 pirates killed within seconds, most of them weren't even directly involved with the hostages
- No warning, no exchange of communication, no chance to surrender
- Use of weaponry and technology never before seen by the people of the day

This is not about killing pirates to free civilians. It's about the world being shocked by the means. Killing should not be the first response option, and killing on that level with such ease and lack of consideration is not something society should strife for. :p

Kurita

TAKE FIVE 1
qljjW2D.jpg
20 years ago, Masayoshi (Toshiaki Karasawa) was a member of a heist group named "TAKE FIVE". His father was also in the group. Now, Masayoshi lives an ordinary and honest life, working as a college psychology professor. One day, he receives a picture of a Leonardo da Vinci painting from a mysterious homeless woman. The women tells Masayoshi that the painting is stored in the security warehouse of Toto Bank. She seems aware of Masayoshi's past as a thief.
Masayoshi curious whether the painting is really stored at Toto Bank, gathers 5 colleagues and reforms "TAKE FIVE". The group decides to work under the policy that they will only steal highly valuable items from evil people.

Great first episode. I like the characters (and the actors) so far, cool to see Yasuko Matsuyuki in this drama.
Pretty straight-forward first episode but it still managed to keep me entertained from start to finish. Hopefully the whole season delivers.

g40YVRw.gif

Episodes 01-13
Before I got started with the first episode, I was wondering if I would end up liking the show long enough to continue marathoning it until it returns to Toonami in a couple of weeks. Well, it didn't take very long as I'm liking the show so far.

Luffy can be a bit of an idiot at times (and must he be so damn honest all the time when blurting out stuff?), but damn he doesn't fuck around when it comes to fighting. Zoro....I would never want to fight him. Nami has had her moments, but I'm still not feeling her just yet. Usopp may be a giant liar but I love his sheer determination to protect his village and Kaya. Supporting cast of characters are pretty good, too. I liked the mayor in the town where Benny and his crew where shacking even if he did look ridiculous with his armor getup (and I really did feel sorry for him when Luffy knocked his ass out cold). Even the dog was a badass. I wonder when I'll see Coby and Red Shanks along with his crew again, but I get the feeling it will be a long time before they show up again.

As for the villains so far, Benny the Clown had a pretty cool ability in my opinion, but I'm sure there are other special abilities I haven't seen yet that will make his ability look like child's play. Captain Morgan and his whack-ass son weren't much so at least they were dealt with quickly (same with the fat chick). Capt. Kuro....I can't wait to see him get his. I really hate the way he pushes up his glasses. It makes look like a special kind of asshole. And how convenient that Merry didn't die yet from his wounds to be to tell Kaya the truth about her asshole butler :p But seriously, I really do hope that nothing bad happens to Kaya. And I hope Jango lives too.

As for my thoughts on the Devil's Fruit and the fact that devouring one means you can't swim.....FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU..............but I guess if I knew that, it wouldn't bother me since I can't swim :p. Bring on the special ability (it damn well better be a good one)

Pretty obvious I've hardly scratched the surface with the show and I have a LONG way to go but thankfully I have plenty of time. As long as I keep enjoying the show, this journey will have been worth it.

fertygo

Gargantia 03

I don't see what people complaining, morality debate aside.. those guy just mad Ledo make unpleasant situation for them, and its DOES causing large scale pirate attack, so what the problem.

And no, military just not send missile to pirate ship like ducky said.. Its like people just disappointed not seeing genocide.

Jex

g40YVRw.gif

Episodes 01-13
Before I got started with the first episode, I was wondering if I would end up liking the show long enough to continue marathoning it until it returns to Toonami in a couple of weeks. Well, it didn't take very long as I'm liking the show so far.

Luffy can be a bit of an idiot at times (and must he be so damn honest all the time when blurting out stuff?), but damn he doesn't fuck around when it comes to fighting. Zoro....I would never want to fight him. Nami has had her moments, but I'm still not feeling her just yet. Usopp may be a giant liar but I love his sheer determination to protect his village and Kaya. Supporting cast of characters are pretty good, too. I liked the mayor in the town where Benny and his crew where shacking even if he did look ridiculous with his armor getup (and I really did feel sorry for him when Luffy knocked his ass out cold). Even the dog was a badass. I wonder when I'll see Coby and Red Shanks along with his crew again, but I get the feeling it will be a long time before they show up again.

As for the villains so far, Benny the Clown had a pretty cool ability in my opinion, but I'm sure there are other special abilities I haven't seen yet that will make his ability look like child's play. Captain Morgan and his whack-ass son weren't much so at least they were dealt with quickly (same with the fat chick). Capt. Kuro....I can't wait to see him get his. I really hate the way he pushes up his glasses. It makes look like a special kind of asshole. And how convenient that Merry didn't die yet from his wounds to be to tell Kaya the truth about her asshole butler :p But seriously, I really do hope that nothing bad happens to Kaya. And I hope Jango lives too.

As for my thoughts on the Devil's Fruit and the fact that devouring one means you can't swim.....FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU..............but I guess if I knew that, it wouldn't bother me since I can't swim :p. Bring on the special ability (it damn well better be a good one)

Pretty obvious I've hardly scratched the surface with the show and I have a LONG way to go but thankfully I have plenty of time. As long as I keep enjoying the show, this journey will have been worth it.
And people say that no-one talks about shounen anime in here!

Dresden

Okay, hang on, I got this: Chi and the manager shower together.

Toss in Emilia's friend and you have yourself a winner.

---

Henneko - 01

It's kinda weird because Yuuki Kaji is playing some really disparate roles (psycho shota in VVV, Eren in Titan, and the titular pervert-prince in Henneko) this season but they all sound the same. What's range?

It's not awful. Not much else to say about it.

---

Yuyushiki - 03

It's such a competent show. There's a nice bit of scripting in the episode, where you see two of the girls buy drinks at a vending machine before running off, then with one of them gone on a trip, the interlude with her absence ends at that same place, but this time without her presence. It's a nicely introspective moment that caps off what Yuzuko mentions earlier, when she realizes that teasing Yui takes on a different tone when they're a pair, not a trio. It's simple stuff, but they're nice reminders that group dynamics aren't and shouldn't be set in stone, or remain without change. Not that I expect much change in the later episodes, but it was still somewhat of a surprise for them to acknowledge it.

check out those fingers said:

Good stuff. Tanned Yukari is the best.

Jex

Keep telling yourself that.

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2009/04/soma-a13.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/13/maersk-alabama-bainbridge-pirates-navy-us

[...]

This is not about killing pirates to free civilians. It's about the world being shocked by the means. Killing should not be the first response option, and killing on that level with such ease and lack of consideration is not something society should strife for. :p

*strive

Incidentally, any comparison to currently day anti-piracy operations should really be left on the table as the situation in Gargantia has very little in common with what the US Navy does in Somalia. The relationship that the Gargantia fleet has to the pirates that share their waters is so far removed any current real world scenarios that it's not even worth considering. In that scenario, the Gargantia fleet is the entire country, and the pirates are an opposing force that's larger than and move powerful than them. This is hardly the scenario that the US Navy faces when it tackles piracy in Somalia.

Not that any of that has anything do with the perfectly reasonable arguments that have been put forward thus far, it just has no bearing on them what so ever. The actions that characters take in Gargantia is based on the context of the world that they exist in.

Go_Ly_Dow

Valvrave 3

boku janai boku janai boku janai boku janai

ERU ERUFUU continues to take this show to greater heights.

Watch and take notes Guilty Crown.

Theonik

This looks strangely fitting for DokiDoki.

Valvrave 3

This would be more enjoyable if they just went full gender bender and had him biting females.
Who said it's not going to happen? Probably main love interest girl.

Jewelpet Kira Deco! 05:

An Iron Chef parody? Complete with music ripping off the theme from the Iron Chef opening credits? AMAZING

I don't even know where to begin with this episode. Let's just say that there's a lot of......uhh........interspecies affection. And how good is Opal? So good. She's basically Nanami in mascot form, and Sawashiro just totally owning the role in spite of (or because of) its absurdity makes the character a constant scene-stealer.

hosanna: the "morning after" scene was everything you made it out to be and then some. Ballsy stuff for a kids' show.
Tempting but you will not fool me! I'll wait for you to finish before I jump in!

The only good pirate is a dead pirate.
My #TeamZenmetsu nakama!

Valvrave 3

boku janai boku janai boku janai boku janai

ERU ERUFUU continues to take this show to greater heights.

Watch and take notes Guilty Crown.

Valvrave isn't so bad, and it definitely isn't Guilty Crown levels of terrible. I'm still mad about the end of that series.

Hey bromeos. It's time for a Saturday dump of images from my weekly rounds. Sorry for the image quality, but a lot of these pictures are taken with a silent camera app I use because most stores don't want you taking photos of their products and shit.

A bit blurry, but these are the new releases of the past few weeks, sans Naruto and Eva.

Part II of the Z Gundam BD box set. Lol dat price. I believe the 50% off means half off of the price listed on the box. More than 70,000 for half a series is ridiculous even for Japan.

The big releases for manga are Vagabond and a new Arakawa Under the Bridge. It's one of the first things you see when you walk into Tsutaya.

New otome novels for the week. SO MANY FLOWERS.

New shonen novels for the week. Infinite Stratos 8 seems to be selling reasonably well based on what the store clerks told me.

Animate's latest lottery is for Girls und Panzer goods. I'm ok with this.

Upon walking into Animate this week, I couldn't help but find myself laughing at the fact that Nanoha, Uta no Prince-sama, and To LoveRu are all right next to each other in the front of the store.

Yo guys, don't even worry. Magi toasters are a thing that exist. THE WORLD IS SAVED.

And then we'll end today's dump of images on The iDOLM@STER figures.

Also... I bought The iDOLM@STER 2 for the PS3. T_T. I swear, this is for a big feature I'm writing on the franchise.

... what have I done?

Popped in to say that I finally started watching Chihayafuru, and I looooooooove it so far!! I'm only 2 episodes in and I'm completely in love with the show. It's giving me the same feeling that Nodame did.

Are there any other shows similar in tone to these two? (I haven't seen too much Josei)

OceanBlue

Hey bromeos. It's time for a Saturday dump of images from my weekly rounds. Sorry for the image quality, but a lot of these pictures are taken with a silent camera app I use because most stores don't want you taking photos of their products and shit.

Animate's latest lottery is for Girls und Panzer goods. I'm ok with this.
Miho's so cute.

Yo guys, don't even worry. Magi toasters are a thing that exist. THE WORLD IS SAVED.
If only they were rice bowls.

And then we'll end today's dump of images on The iDOLM@STER figures.

Also... I bought The iDOLM@STER 2 for the PS3. T_T. I swear, this is for a big feature I'm writing on the franchise.

... what have I done?
I warned you. The path of enjoying K-On is a descent into madness.

one of us. one of us

Jex

[...]
I must admit that I ever saw any of that stuff in a shop and didn't already know what it was I'd never buy it, based on the gaudy covers alone.

Steroyd

Popped in to say that I finally started watching Chihayafuru, and I looooooooove it so far!! I'm only 2 episodes in and I'm completely in love with the show. It's giving me the same feeling that Nodame did.

Are there any other shows similar in tone to these two? (I haven't seen too much Josei)

Honey and Clover, Kuragehime, Genshinken, Usagi Drop, Kids on a Slope and Paradise Kiss.

What are the big anime/manga chain stores in Japan, anyway?

Melonbooks is the big doujin shop though they deal in everything else too. Animate is the biggest of the chains, and the one you can find in pretty much every single major city. That being said, you can buy manga at pretty much every entertainment store in the country, and anime is actually more readily available at electronic chains like Bic Camera and Softmap.

Animate stores tend to carry a limited supply of DVD/BD releases, and sell on an order by order basis.

Kurita

Always feels good to see tons of mangas lined up.,You just don't know where to look.
Everytime I go to my local Book Off I just stare at them for a few seconds :lol

Honey and Clover, Kuragehime, Genshinken, Usagi Drop, Kids on a Slope and Paradise Kiss.
Heh, I've actually seen all of those except for Slope. Thanks for the reminder about that one, though. =D Maybe I should watch Honey & Clover again too, it's been a really long time.

Thanks again. =D

One of those mascot things in JewelPet is voiced by Miyukichi so I think I'm going to cave soon.

Actually two of the Jewelpets are voiced by Sawashiro (Opal and Labura).

Jewelpet Kira Deco! 05:

An Iron Chef parody? Complete with music ripping off the theme from the Iron Chef opening credits? AMAZING

If only I'd watched Iron Chef so I could get the reference.

I honestly don't know if I'm just tired and delirious and seeing entertainment where there really is none so huge grain of salt with these impressions.

No way. I watched these episodes when I was 100% awake and I can guarantee you're not hallucinating.

I do have a lower amusement threshold when I'm really tired, but in this case I'm probably just affixing caveats to my enthusiasm in case several people take my recommendation and all end up hating it :lol

I also feel oddly bad about my pimping getting more reaction than hosanna's when he's the one with the impeccable taste.

You flatter me unjustly.

But really, no need to apologize for what you like! If other people hate it, that's their problem.

Jex

I really feel quite bad that I haven't sat down with Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal to give it it's full due, partly because it's a slightly terrifying prospect. There's just far too many scenes too talk about. Consider this sequence:

iBmIoCKMRYt45.gif

The play of light and shadow, especially the moment where Kenshin's shadow appears to completely separate from his body, as if the assassin part of his personality had a will of it's own, is just too good.

Phi Brain 24

I like to imagine this show might be more watchable if they dropped the DEATH BY PUZZLES and instead made it a romcom where both the guy and that girl are in love with the same guy.

? But it is a romcom, everyone fighting Rook for his Kaito, cubic even.

Kyoto Animation just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Free!, nor will they purchase any of Kyoto Animation's animes. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Kyoto Animation has alienated an entire market with this move.

Kyoto Animation, publicly apologize and cancel Free! or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Kyoto animation is nintendo?

dokidoki 12

Is being the apprentice of a girl you like kinda like being a contract for hire boyfriend?

Or intern.
There was more deep respect than love in that case.

Phi Brain 25

Well at least I'm done with this ugly show.

I liked DUELING WITH MAGICAL ALIENS MORE.

I also have no interest in watching season two anytime soon and possibly so I can hopefully watch something decent after back to back bad shows.

Season 2 is much better.. you have a nice set of antagonists in there. You should try few episodes :)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
First of all, I AM on TeamChiho and always have been. Having said that...

I got a couple of problems with this.

1st. Emi sucks. Now that we have that out of the way we can move on.

She's not my favorite either, I dun hate her though.

2nd. Emi's not "alone." Ok, so she's separated from her homeland and people who know her but she's already got a friend at work. It's not like Castaway where all she has is a damn soccer ball for company.

When I said "alone", I meant initially, and for a long time she felt alone in the sense that no one from Japan knows who she really is and where she's really from, and she can't tell them. She has to keep that bottled up inside, until she meets Maou again.

3rd. Some will eventually bring up the "in her world she was a hero here she answers phones" crap. Screw you! That's like simultaneously crapping on every single human being who's not a "hero" in this world. That's like shitting on me.

I never said as much.

4th. Emi was not thrust into this situation but went of her own accord. Therefore whether she can handle her situation or not is her fault, if she can't handle being a fish out of water she maybe shouldn't have rushed through some dimensional gate, no?

Indeed, but she did intent to come with her high priest buddy who ended up being late to the party. Compounded with the revelation later that she had no way to get back and didn't speak the language natively until much later (same as Maou and Alsiel who were at least together), it must have felt pretty lonely for a bit.

5th. She never lost her purpose, she can kill the demon lord at any time, she let several opportunities pass of her own accord. Her success or failure as the hero title she clings to still depends on her actions, she could have remained the hero of Enta Isle and taken out Maou and her being lost in another world doesn't eradicate how she'd be known back home.

I agree she should have stayed behind, chasing him was pretty dumb. One of those "You're not getting away I'm having my revenge!" heat of the moment things that came back to bite her in the ass. However it's pretty clear that while she's had several opportunities to kill Maou and fulfill her purposes (and has thought about it as many times), she hasn't because somewhere in her subconscious she's realized that killing him means cutting off her only link to her old world, her true identity (not as "hero" but as "person from Ente Isle" or whatever it's name is), and now that she's finally found someone who knows who she truly is, not her new Japan self, she just can't bring herself to cut that link for good.

6th. Unless decades have past I think she's given up hope too fast, her side all but won the war back home, why does she have no faith in her comrades to come get her, why does she not do any research to try and find a way to open a gate?

A very easy trap to fall into when you're young, alone, in a strange land with no clue how to return. She probably had decided to work this job of hers and be patient until one of her friends came to find her. Now, if one of her friends does come to pick her up and she decides to stay in Japan (a twist I'm guessing is likely to happen because that's how this dumb shit tends to work) then all bets are off.

Team Chiho rules.

Fucking straight it does!

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I knew I shouldn't have started Eva at 5 in the morning. Time for me to get some sleep.

Akira Ishida's voice is sexy as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom