• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Rewatching a couple of Planetes episodes because it's one of the best anime ever made. How fucking rad are Tanabe's facial expressions in Episode, uh, 25? 26? Near the end. Amazing stuff. So much more effective just due to who she is - not just, as with most twisted facial expressions, who she appeared to be. Over every episode beforehand, you get to know the kind of person that Tanabe is, and to see that so twisted, so seriously harmed by the situation unfolding before her - it's absolutely incredible.

survivor

Banned
Rewatching a couple of Planetes episodes because it's one of the best anime ever made. How fucking rad are Tanabe's facial expressions in Episode, uh, 25? 26? Near the end. Amazing stuff. So much more effective just due to who she is - not just, as with most twisted facial expressions, who she appeared to be. Over every episode beforehand, you get to know the kind of person that Tanabe is, and to see that so twisted, so seriously harmed by the situation unfolding before her - it's absolutely incredible.

If I'm thinking of the right scene, then yes, that was one of my favourite parts of the entire series.

duckroll

Today they announced a new set of 4 posters for Miyazaki's upcoming movie Kaze Tachinu. They will be distributed to cinemas throughout Japan in May. There are no direct feed promo images for the posters yet, but they were shown on a TV program and there are some... off-screen shots. Lol. Looks pretty damn awesome. The posters all carry the new tagline for the film - "We must live on." Apparently it's the final phrase Nausicaa says at the end of Miyazaki's original Nausicaa manga. :p

Sneak peak:

lKdB7j9.jpg

CMhm5Ld.jpg

sm08dbQ.jpg

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Today they announced a new set of 4 posters for Miyazaki's upcoming movie Kaze Tachinu. They will be distributed to cinemas throughout Japan in May. There are no direct feed promo images for the posters yet, but they were shown on a TV program and there are some... off-screen shots. Lol. Looks pretty damn awesome. The posters all carry the new tagline for the film - "We must live on." Apparently it's the final phrase Nausicaa says at the end of Miyazaki's original Nausicaa manga. :p

Sneak peak:

lKdB7j9.jpg

CMhm5Ld.jpg

sm08dbQ.jpg

I'm a sucker for Ghibli goodness.

Hype!

/XX/

Well, the thing with Free! is that it ALIENATES straight males and blatantly cuts any potential audience from that side; I say this because I'm sure otaku mostly prefer to not have ANY manservice in their anime.

Or at least that's what Shaft and Shinbo told me when they censored every single instance of it in Nisemonogatari.
Damned insecurities of the people! Ripped Manrarararagi was totally the way to go!

Be advised; the following leads not only to the habitual kind of explicit content I post links to in here, additionaly it shows content that can hurt the sensibilities of those not accustomed of seeing drawings of well toned abs and the mere presence of tiny black spots obscuring nether regions... careful!

偽物語かれんビー4話修正比較~忍ちゃんマジ全裸(*´Д`*) | あみもね☆にっき
http://blog.min.chu.jp/?eid=1243839

I think a running show would probably be more a lot exciting; swimming isn't very fun to watch as it isn't nearly as fast.
But there is the excitement from the tense and excruciating efforts of the swimmers on long distance, long course events... a close finish, with the participants fighting for staying afloat while saving their last breath for the definitive impulse is something very interesting to follow closely on a big competition.

It always reminds me of road cycling, where even if finishes on daily stages that are tailored specifically for sprinters are spectacular to see as well, the decisive and more intense battles always come from the painfully slow zigzagging but continuous and also tiring rhythm that rival top climbers do on the most difficult 'hors catégorie' mountain passes. The majority of spectators and fans of the sport go to see that and not for the velocity of it but for the sacrifice, the passion... the encouraging efforts on display.

I'm looking for an old, obscure anime film from the 50s or 60s. It had no dialogue, just music. A war was occurring in the background and it was released via fansub back in 04 or 05. I can't remember the damn name!
I was going to mention that Mr. Tezuka's Story of a Certain Street Corner kind of fits completely your given description (if I remember correctly there even was a decent picture quality release of it around 2005-06), but I'm more inclined to believe now that Jexhius is closer to the real answer.

Sneak peak:

http://i.imgur.com/lKdB7j9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CMhm5Ld.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/sm08dbQ.jpg
Today? :p

cajunator

Banned
Kyoto Animation just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Free!, nor will they purchase any of Kyoto Animation's animes. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Kyoto Animation has alienated an entire market with this move.

Kyoto Animation, publicly apologize and cancel Free! or you can kiss your business goodbye.

This is Gaf's gift to the world that will never die. It will mutate into all sorts of forms but it is truly versatile and universal.

The only good pirate is a dead pirate.

NO :(

Keep telling yourself that.

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2009/04/soma-a13.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/13/maersk-alabama-bainbridge-pirates-navy-us

So in real world situations, if you really want to compare:
- Most piracy hostage situations are resolved peacefully
- The US government intervened violently in 2009 by killing 3 of the 4 pirates who were holding the hostage on a boat
- Surrender was an option before they used lethal force
- Regardless, that incident sparked concern that pirates in general in the region could turn more violent because of escalated force

Now let's look at Gargantia:
- Over 30 pirates killed within seconds, most of them weren't even directly involved with the hostages
- No warning, no exchange of communication, no chance to surrender
- Use of weaponry and technology never before seen by the people of the day

This is not about killing pirates to free civilians. It's about the world being shocked by the means. Killing should not be the first response option, and killing on that level with such ease and lack of consideration is not something society should strife for. :p

I side with you on this one Ducky.

Okay, hang on, I got this: Chi and the manager shower together.

You present a very compelling argument.

No. Strife.

cE84G7o.jpg

gonads and strife?

Hey bromeos. It's time for a Saturday dump of images from my weekly rounds. Sorry for the image quality, but a lot of these pictures are taken with a silent camera app I use because most stores don't want you taking photos of their products and shit.

A bit blurry, but these are the new releases of the past few weeks, sans Naruto and Eva.

Part II of the Z Gundam BD box set. Lol dat price. I believe the 50% off means half off of the price listed on the box. More than 70,000 for half a series is ridiculous even for Japan.

The big releases for manga are Vagabond and a new Arakawa Under the Bridge. It's one of the first things you see when you walk into Tsutaya.

New otome novels for the week. SO MANY FLOWERS.

New shonen novels for the week. Infinite Stratos 8 seems to be selling reasonably well based on what the store clerks told me.

Animate's latest lottery is for Girls und Panzer goods. I'm ok with this.

Upon walking into Animate this week, I couldn't help but find myself laughing at the fact that Nanoha, Uta no Prince-sama, and To LoveRu are all right next to each other in the front of the store.

Yo guys, don't even worry. Magi toasters are a thing that exist. THE WORLD IS SAVED.

And then we'll end today's dump of images on The iDOLM@STER figures.

Also... I bought The iDOLM@STER 2 for the PS3. T_T. I swear, this is for a big feature I'm writing on the franchise.

... what have I done?

I want to visit a store like this. First, I would probably never want to leave. Second I would buy at least a thousand bucks worth of shit without much thinking about it :(
It might be good for my sake that these stores dont exist here.

And yet you're still here!

Being on a forum since 1999 is not that unusual. Ive been a member of some since 1998. You just have to stay firmly rooted and post consistently over a period of 12-14 years. Its not difficult to do really. Some communities are just that addictive, and can adapt with you.

I think I know what you are talking about. Towards the end was pretty shockin what Ai had to go through and the situation that presented itself truly tested her resolve. Several events in that show were unexpected and really gave character to it, both good and bad.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Devil Survivor 2 4

Holy fuck this is BAD. Like unbelievably bad. Like worst episode of anime I've watched in a year kind of bad. I don't even know where to begin.

At least I understand the title of the show now, this piece of shit is from the devil himself and there are no survivors.

cajunator

Banned
Devil Survivor 2 4

Holy fuck this is BAD. Like unbelievably bad. Like worst episode of anime I've watched in a year kind of bad. I don't even know where to begin.

At least I understand the title of the show now, this piece of shit is from the devil himself and there are no survivors.

Did Airi at least show up yet?

NeonZ

I really don't understand why the anime crew for Devil Survivor somehow thinks that making all secondary characters useless is a good idea. They remove all humor and lighter elements of the story to make a more "serious business" take, but then can't see how cheesy their focus on the hero is?

Did Airi at least show up yet?

Next episode.

Toaru kagaku no railgun S - 03

Toaru_Kagaku_no_Railgun_S_-_03.jpg

You're fighting a losing battle kuroko , but keep up the good fight !

I guess you don't need to hide your face when you're sneaking if you think you can't be spotted.
Other than that , nice episode

cajunator

Banned
I really don't understand why the anime crew for Devil Survivor somehow thinks that making all secondary characters useless is a good idea. They remove all humor and lighter elements of the story to make a more "serious business" take, but then can't see how cheesy their focus on the hero is?

Next episode.

Then it looks like next episode I will watch it.

Damned insecurities of the people! Ripped Manrarararagi was totally the way to go!

Be advised; the following leads not only to the habitual kind of explicit content I post links to in here, additionaly it shows content that can hurt the sensibilities of those not accustomed of seeing drawings of well toned abs and the mere presence of tiny black spots obscuring nether regions... careful!

偽物語かれんビー4話修正比較~忍ちゃんマジ全裸(*´Д`*) | あみもね☆にっき
http://blog.min.chu.jp/?eid=1243839

What awful changes, glad I watched the superior version. Was certainly the best part of the anime

Defuser

Space bros ep 55

My god, it's finally back after 3 weeks of recap. Seriously whose fucking idea for a 3 week recap? Even Studio Pierrot doesn't pull this shit for Naruto or Bleach when they want to stretch it out.

Man, Mutta and team always seem to run into people with problems. Did that guy just farted?

-Horizon-

Space bros ep 55

My god, it's finally back after 3 weeks of recap. Seriously whose fucking idea for a 3 week recap? Even Studio Pierrot doesn't pull this shit for Naruto or Bleach when they want to stretch it out.

Man, Mutta and team always seem to run into people with problems. Did that guy just farted?

Why yes, yes he did.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm betting on swimming anime not being about swimming like how music anime isn't really about music and mystery anime isn't about mysteries.

Haly

What about lower body man?

I hope Kyoani doesn't SHAFT this on the manservice department.

Jex

I'm betting on swimming anime not being about swimming like how music anime isn't really about music and mystery anime isn't about mysteries.

Well, that would be a fairly safe bet based on their track record. If the story was actually about something that might lead to unpleasant stuff, like serious drama and conflict.

Haly

Well, that would be a fairly safe bet based on their track record. If the story was actually about something that might lead to unpleasant stuff, like serious drama and conflict.
I'm not sure if I would prefer lack of swimming in my swimming anime or shounen haato swimming bullshit fantasy plot jargon.

YOU CAN'T WIN.

Bet these guys are all 'mirin' each other.

Isnt Rin from the rival sc, there has to be some type of conflict/drama to get him involved so prominently on the relationships chart.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

jbug617

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom