• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Of course not but that doesn't preclude drawing an anthropomorphized version of it does it? Then again Sriracha-tan doesn't exist so X1-tan is probably less likely.

There probably is a sriracha-tan. I have about 85% confidence in it existing.
will research when I get home.

Aww that's ADORABLE! I'll be so disappointed if your fetish isn't just as innocent.

I should really read more manga if they tend to break the mold in art like this.

There are innocent fetishes?
Such as what?

Narag

Cat ears AND fluffy tails.

jSZWJG7l.gif

What are some of the better romance animes out there? The only anime in that genre that I actually liked was Bokura ga Ita, which is odd, because it didn't even have a conclusive ending, and generally that's the exact reason why I dislike so many of the others.

But yeah, any recent additions to the romance scene? I'm a sap.

jgminto

Furries!

What are some of the better romance animes out there? The only anime in that genre that I actually liked was Bokura ga Ita, which is odd, because it didn't even have a conclusive ending, and generally that's the exact reason why I dislike so many of the others.

You could probably consider Wandering Son a romance anime. Super good.

It's not a genre I've thought about much but Tokyo Marble Chocolate is definitely a good romantic one. It's a two episode OVA that you can watch in either order depending on who's perspective you want first.

Mature

Natsuyuki Rendezvous is a good one. It's pace gets a bit glacial towards the end, but in general the story is pretty unique and mature.

Necrovex

Romeo x Juliet 24 - END

;__: yeah, I knew it was coming. It had to come. It wouldn't be Romeo and Juliet without an end like this. But still.

Great series. It's as incredibly gushy as can be, but still, it tugs at the heart like no other. Art was great, the action was great, music was pretty good, English VAs were perfectly placed. Coming into it I was a little apprehensive about a series that was taking a Shakespeare play and expounding it into a 24 episode series and changing major elements of the plot, but it worked beautifully. Some bad characters, sometimes a convoluted plot, and sometimes the inclusion of Shakespearean english (though great for its inclusion) sometimes stood out badly when contrasted immediately fore and aft by "normal" talk. Those are my only real complaints.

Overall I loved it. Easy 9/10 from me. Incredibly well-crafted series with some great moments.

Glad you loved the show. I remember watching it a few years back and being heads over heels for this show. I wish the studio did more animation involving famous source material besides RXJ and The Count of Monte Cristo.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Guess what? He's one of the most popular characters. He is that awesome.

What? How?! The hell people?!

Heart wrenching moment for sure. One of the saddest things I've seen in anime/manga.

That scene just made me sick to my stomach. Ugh.

====================================

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S - 06

Seriously, that Accelerator guy can go fuck himself. Here's hoping
Mikoto can pull herself together and bring down the ones responsible.

Coming into it I was a little apprehensive about a series that was taking a Shakespeare play and expounding it into a 24 episode series and changing major elements of the plot, but it worked beautifully.
Have you watched Blast of Tempest? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on it, even though it's less of an adaption of Shakespeare's play(s) and more of an homage.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Kimi ni Todoke. Watch it if you haven't already.

Edit; sorry, you asked for recent. Regardless, check it out if you haven't already.

Also, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. Give that a shot too.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

I just finished Romeo x Juliet. Its not recent but it's good, if you haven't seen it. Rumbling Hearts and Suzuka was fairly good too. I have no idea what would recent for you.

Glad you loved the show. I remember watching it a few years back and being heads over heels for this show. I wish the studio did more animation involving famous source material besides RXJ and The Count of Monte Cristo.

Thanks! Yeah. I've been meaning to check that one out too.

CorvoSol

Slayers 17

Pretty sure the "hero" they hire in this episode is supposed to look like the guy from Berserk, and Goury is defs disguised with Sailor Moon hair. And Gourry isn't the only one in drag! Apparently the DRAGon is, too! Bad joke, I know, I know. Gourry also had a Zel doll in his bra.

Necrovex

I just finished Romeo x Juliet. Its not recent but it's good, if you haven't seen it. Rumbling Hearts and Suzuka was fairly good too. I have no idea what would recent for you.

Thanks! Yeah. I've been meaning to check that one out too.

The Count of Monte Cristo is in my top ten anime list of the forever. If you enjoy RXJ, the Count will blow you out of the god damn water.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The Count of Monte Cristo is in my top ten anime list of the forever. If you enjoy RXJ, the Count will blow you out of the god damn water.

Duly noted! I will definitely put it on my to watch list.

Now I have to decide if I wanna pick up a new series or try to finish some of the series I've but on hold, some have been on hold for a long time.

CorvoSol

I've been considering watching it for awhile, because the novel is one of my favorite books of all time. I know it isn't exactly true to the book, but is it still good?

Necrovex

Sounds like you did the right thing then.

"Since you like anime, have you seen Fate/Zero?" "Is that an action anime? I am not a big fan of those. I like animes where nothing happens, boring animes, like Utena."

That quote from her still stands out to me for some reason.

I've been considering watching it for awhile, because the novel is one of my favorite books of all time. I know it isn't exactly true to the book, but is it still good?

I love the novel. The show inspired me to go and read that giant brick of a book. The show takes the very core themes and plot of the book, and it goes in its own direction. If you have seen Romeo X Juliet, Gankutsuou is pretty much like that in how it handles the source material. I would recommend any and all people, anime fans or no, to see this magical gem.

Gankutsuou is one of the best adaptations of classic literature I've ever seen. It's both true to the spirit of the book while putting its own spin on the book's themes.

#yoloswag

Good taste, bro.

I wish I could get that Colorful BD, but it sounds like Sentai screwed up yet again. Sigh...

Oh, so good things. That makes it simple.

Try out (in no particular order):
Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (2012)
Kids on the Slope
Darker than Black
Baccano!
Macross Plus
Serial Experiments Lain
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Vision of Escaflowne
Gurren Lagann
Azumanga Daioh
Paranoia Agent
FLCL
Trigun
And Yet the Town Moves (Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Kemonozume
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
R.O.D the TV

Also, out of curiosity, how much of Detective Conan have you seen?

Thanks for the recommendations. For Detective Conan I've seen up to the latest manga based episode(the yusaku one). I don't read the manga though.

I started watching it this week. I haven't read the source material, but the first three episodes have been pretty engaging, and my expectations have been consistently exceeded through great characterization. The Count steals pretty much every scene he's in and I love it! And I like how it doesn't totally leave those unfamiliar with the book out of the loop; like, even after finishing the first two episodes I was able to pick up on your comparison between The Count of Monte Cristo and Geass's Suzaku earlier in this thread.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
My to-watch list:

On hold:
Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku (almost done, I think.)
Le Chevalier D'Eon (almost done, but it's been a few years actually. I might try to find a good spot to pick it back up).
No. 6 (Only like 4 or 5 in. Need to finish)
Red Garden (I will probably just put this on the farthest back burner)

To Start/Tryout:
Gankutsuou/The Count of Monte Cristo
Blast of Tempest
Denpa Teki na Kanojo
ef - a tale of memories
Eve no Jikan
Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo
Hotarubi no Mori e
Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu
Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion
Mardock Scramble: The Third Exhaust
Nerawareta Gakuen
Pale Cocoon
Saikano
Scrapped Princess
Summer Wars

oh god I just need to watch some of these and clear my plate. Somebody help me.

wonzo

Banned
Good taste, bro.

I wish I could get that Colorful BD, but it sounds like Sentai screwed up yet again. Sigh...
AFAIK there's some weird compression at he end of the film but that's it. Either way this is the last thing I'll buy from Sentai unless they don't manage to fuck up tsuritama (which they will).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom