• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunter x Hunter 77

Damn, they're already not pulling any punches with this arc. I figured certain things would be partially censored, but I think
what happened to Kurt and Reina
was even MORE disturbing here than in the manga, which is only
made all the more heart-breaking with the extra fleshing out.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So I just helped chaperone a school anime club field trip to a very small con in East Tennessee... I need suggestions on some anime to get me started! I really enjoyed the con and have been asked to help with the club but my anime knowledge is completely null. I need suggestions for some shows to get me started :)

It sounds like you need shows that are both good/beginner-friendly and are mainstream enough to likely have been seen by members of a school anime club. If that's the case, try the following:

Code Geass
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Eureka Seven
Fullmetal Alchemist
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

Of course, how much you enjoy any of these will still depend on what kind of stories you enjoy, so I'm always willing to give more specific recommendations if you're also just wanting things tailored to your interests.

Narag

Valvrave 3

Between being overserious with the story and not embracing self-awareness, this continues to be bad. The attempt to sell L-Elf as a credible threat feels entirely manufactured much like everything else about this show. I’d like for this to turn around because hey, some shows do but I’m doubtful at this point.

Also purple hair girl looks like she fell out of Precure.

Majestic Prince 4

This one had a terrible time of holding my attention. Senior MJP members look like they might be able to provide the straight man to some of the comedy as well as some proper dramatic tension as requires so there’s that to look forward to.

Sparrow’s Hotel 3

Don’t think the actual humor is that bad but there’s zero sense of timing. It feels like 4koma jokes coming rapidfire. Poyopoyo made wise use of transition and keeping the humor thematically together and in turn was a far better product in this regard.

Muromi 4

welp, Yeti is adorable. Think I only laughed at no one finding Yeti because she’s so tiny but per the usual the nice animation buoyed lackluster humor.

Oreimo 4

Excessively pandering and devoid of the humor I usually enjoy from this, doujinshi scene aside.

Hyouge Mono 3
WoaahULl.jpg

Brought this up last time but figured I ought to provide a visual example of how the art in this changes depending on the situation. The regular dry historical drama? Get Nobunaga looking normal.

GsSEuhyl.png
jqzw4ufl.png

Sasuke doing his aesthete thing? Rather cartoonish.

Wow, Sasuke was offered the choice of: a sack of money or... what’s in the mystery box. And it proved strangely compelling. :lol

Ultimadrago

Okay, you know what, let's just do it this way. How about all of you take the chance to tell me anything you dislike about me -- the way I talk, posts I make, shows I like, whatever -- then I can pack it all up and take it with me so you don't ever have to deal with my face here again. Sound good?

I'll check back in, oh, five hours or so.

Narag largely covered it and I don't need to retread all the same ground. A few questions would clear up a remaining issue better:

Why have you publicly declared your leave when you've never left for any prolonged period? More than thrice.

I don't desire you to leave, a number of people here don't, but "Why?". It grabs all the wrong type of attention and solves nothing. Suddenly, you post news a few days later as if nothing ever happened. You contribute to the community, a moderate amount of people appreciate these contributions and some posts of dissonance have you "ready to pack up." What are you attempting to accomplish with those actions? Especially when you come back ever so frequently in the end?

I remember you asking wonzo, what would happen if you stuck around a couple of days without any visible breakdowns in the thread. I said something along the lines of, "That's great. Do it for yourself." I meant it. The greater peace of mind would benefit yourself as much as it would the community. Threats of your eternal absence, as unfortunate they may be, won't completely halt activity nor improve the community you have such problems with at times.

I know what I post here will mean nothing to you because people have tried getting through to you before, but I'm going to insert my perspective this time. This is a forum and there will be opinions on both sides for about any given anime program. I can't and even if I could, wouldn't, change the general workings of what a forum involves. It will get critical, some shows will get more public slack than others (through written justifications or .gifs) and there will be no revolution to stop this. If you have issues with the cases people bring upon SAO, you are free to share them. If people are simply giving random potshots, you are more than free to not humor them. Why arrest yourself to the position of victim when you have the same level of freedom as many of the posters here?

I never would've guessed that Maou-sama would garner so much waifu war discussions coming into this season.

Probably because Devil Survivor 2 was a flop, not to mention they haven't introduced all the characters yet.
And, there's no telling who they won't kill off either. wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Watching:
Gargantia - Great
Hataraku Maou-sama - Great
Majestic Prince - Losing steam
Valvrave - Awfully great
Romcom SNAFU don't know the real name - 9.9/10 It's okay

Watched First Episode But Haven't Continued:
Aku no Hana - Alright
Date-A-Live - Dumb but fun?
Oreimo - Dumb but fun?
Devil Survivor 2 - Rather play the game
Half of Muromi-san - It sucked
Crime Edge - Dumb and not in the Valvrave kind of way

Have Been Avoiding For Some Unknown Reason:
Attack on Titan

wonzo

Banned

Izayoi

Banned
I'll make a Google poll or something for teams. Maybe.

But Emi and Azusa are best, sorry nerds.

I'm glad I'm not the only one watching Yuyushiki. It's too good to be overlooked like it is. ;_;

Jewelpet Kira Deco! 7

xUHgbcX.jpg

You know, the background art is not too shabby. There's actually some atmosphere to the forest here.

While the highlight was definitely the opening section with its great comic timing (and Kiichi's pathetically hilarious scream), the rest of the episode still had its moments. I loved the goofiness of the magic resolution:
build a tire playground!
In general, I like the way the magic is portrayed in this series; when it's not being actively mocked as useless, it's completely silly and random.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'll make a Google poll or something for teams. Maybe.

But Emi and Azusa are best, sorry nerds.

I'm glad I'm not the only one watching Yuyushiki. It's too good to be overlooked like it is. ;_;

Don't bother, we all know you'll stuff the ballot box.

Soma

Probably because Devil Survivor 2 was a flop, not to mention they haven't introduced all the characters yet.
And, there's no telling who they won't kill off either. wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I dunno I don't think either girl in Maou-sama are all that great but I'm also an episode behind too so whatevs.

And maybe DS2 will get better once duckroll's waifu shows up!

jgminto

All I see from #TeamEmi is a bunch of people talking shit about the real best girl because they have nothing good to say themselves.

Izayoi

Banned
Izayoi, mah lord, you have forsaken me.
If she got her chest cancer checked out she just might be even with Emi, I'm sorry man but that DFC is just too alluring.

Don't bother, we all know you'll stuff the ballot box.
I for one am deeply offended by your accusations.

Are you trying to pick a fight with me? Izayoi, wrong on Emi, wrong on Azusa, wrong for Animegaf.
I would gladly step outside for a round of fisticuffs, if that is what you wish. We will settle this like men.

mAcOdIn

the Team Emi versus Team Chiho fight reminds me of the Tennis match in My Romantic Comedy Snafu show, where they're all happy to win the game but they still sorta lose if that makes sense.

Emi may indeed one day win the game of who ends up with Mao but she'll always be the lesser woman, she's already lost.
I would gladly step outside for a round of fisticuffs, if that is what you wish. We will settle this like men.
This is so weird considering our avatars!

But I accept, next time you're in the armpit of Texas give me a ring.

Dresden

titan - 4

It begins.

Some of the ugliest off-model art so far but goddamn they nailed that end. The hype is off the charts. Every episode after five is going to be nothing but stills and manga cuts.

Jex

Man, it's been a while!
Still, I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion with the girlfriend.
Like, 10 episodes.

This show is amazing.
Shinji is alright now.
Rei is a log. No personality.
Asuka bugs me, and I don't know why.
The robots are fucking rad and I want a figure of the purple one.

I very much like this anime, and I can't wait to see more.

You're a good human being. I hope you enjoy the rest!

Ultimadrago

titan - 4

It begins.

Some of the ugliest off-model art so far but goddamn they nailed that end. The hype is off the charts. Every episode after five is going to be nothing but stills and manga cuts.

RIP Animation, ahead of time

Hopefully episode 5 will satisfy me for the whole season.

Jex

I guess the problem is that I watch most anime. If I only watched the good stuff, I might was well just stop though!

That's always a bad plan. It would be like watching every new TV series in a season, you'd just end up burning out on the whole thing.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Pokemon B/W Adventures in Unova 13

N's quite a lot more interesting than he was in the games.

How does the Pokemon anime typically handle antagonists anyway? I quit watching long ago when the bad guys were just criminal syndicates and not crazy fuckers who wanted to use Pokemon to blow up the world or whatever, and suddenly thinking about it, I have no clue if the show just has more plot than it used to or what.

How does the Pokemon anime typically handle antagonists anyway? I quit watching long ago when the bad guys were just criminal syndicates and not crazy fuckers who wanted to use Pokemon to blow up the world or whatever, and suddenly thinking about it, I have no clue if the show just has more plot than it used to or what.

Shove them into their own mini-arc and that's about it.

They might get encountered near some location where they normally show up in the game, but it's never like they'll continue to hunt them down or something. They see them and are usually forgotten til the next time they see them. And, this does lead to one two to three episode mini arc where the bosses show up, try to do their thing like take over the world or whatever and fail just those darn kids and their Pikachu got in their way.

I think B/W anime tried to focus more on the plot, what with TR suddenly being competent and not showing up in every fucking episode anymore, but I barely watched anything after the first few episodes because I rather not get invested that is long running like that.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Aku no Hana 4

You're a real shit eater if you ain't watching this. Fuck this show is so good. So so good.

Although I'm a bit perplexed as to how
Saeki's gym clothes dont smell god damn funky after all that time has passed
. Maybe I missed the explanation or maybe her sweat just smells like strawberries.
and add on top of hers, his sweat and other bodily fluids.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It surely can't be that bad... can it?
Like I said when the first season aired, The Newsroom makes me wonder if The West Wing was a piece of shit and I was just easily impressed by his snappy dialog as a teenager. It really is the worst thing he and HBO has done in recent years. The fact that he fired half his writers feels like a man desperate to find a scapegoat anyway.

That's always a bad plan. It would be like watching every new TV series in a season, you'd just end up burning out on the whole thing.
I used to do that back in the late 90s/00s. At my height of insanity, I watched all new British and Australian TV shows as well.

But yeah, it's a really bad idea. :(

----

Remember the Titans 4

One question - who is the narrator that does the narration at the beginning of the episode and during the preview? I assume it's something I'm supposed to know, since she talks about humanity from an outsider's perspective, but I just don't remember.

Also, I think I hate Eren. I'm not sure what it is, because I'm mostly okay with Luffy's I WANT TO FIND THE ONE PIECE AND BE NAKAMAS naivety, but something about Eren wanting to play boy soldier annoys me. Probably a lot of it is due to the fact that, in the context of a war story, he's a very particular archetype that I just find extremely frustrating because of the necessity for that character to be singleminded and naive about the world around him and the actual reality of war. I just hope he grows out of this phase sooner rather than later, since I assume he has plot armor and won't take a bullet to the head any time soon (as most eager rookies who are desperate for action are wont to do).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom