• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think B/W anime tried to focus more on the plot, what with TR suddenly being competent and not showing up in every fucking episode anymore, but I barely watched anything after the first few episodes because I rather not get invested that is long running like that.

TR being competent pretty much meant they show up every episode or so, do their secret spy mission thing and be all ominous about whatever the hell they were doing. Good plan but it wasn't done very well since it all it did was basically waste 5 minutes each episode. Oh look, Ash is battling a gym leader, let's cut away from that to see Jessie and James talk in a dark corner about their next heist.

The writers definitely were building up to something with them and Team Plasma. Unfortunately, the earthquake/tsunami happened and all that got shelved til literally now, with Episode N.

Jex

Throwing more money at something NEVER works; if it did, A1 shows would look wonderful. Anime that looks good looks good because it had a healthy production schedule, not because it had an insane budget.

If Titan has schedule problems, it is doomed regardless of how much the animators' pay increases.

All they have to do is work out a way get more hours of out the week. It's easy! We just need 4 recap episodes in a row.

fertygo

Macross SDF -11

There's a lot of thing that I had to process clearly in this episode.

- Freaking Britai smackdown an robot and still live after explosion and got thrown to vacuum air.
- An mech playing james bond.
- Zentraedi freaking out over kiss
- Protoculture!

What a episode.

wonzo

Banned
As if such a thing existed.

hxh9.jpg

:(

Like I said when the first season aired, The Newsroom makes me wonder if The West Wing was a piece of shit and I was just easily impressed by his snappy dialog as a teenager. It really is the worst thing he and HBO has done in recent years. The fact that he fired half his writers feels like a man desperate to find a scapegoat anyway.
The only thing I've seen of Sorkin's is The Social Network (fincher :bow :bow) and I think I'll keep it that way given the things I've read about his writing. (well that and i haven't seen the west wing thanks to being turned off by labor politicians here comparing themselves to that fucking show instead of doing anything constructive to curb the rot driving people away from the party in droves)

TR being competent pretty much meant they show up every episode or so, do their secret spy mission thing and be all ominous about whatever the hell they were doing. Good plan but it wasn't done very well since it all it did was basically waste 5 minutes each episode. Oh look, Ash is battling a gym leader, let's cut away from that to see Jessie and James talk in a dark corner about their next heist.

The writers definitely were building up to something with them and Team Plasma. Unfortunately, the earthquake/tsunami happened and all that got shelved til literally now, with Episode N.

I meant more in the causing shit with terrible disguises and whatnot but yeah. Didn't want to invest into Pokemon. Too long running and has too many consistant traits for me to watch.

Okay, you know what, let's just do it this way. How about all of you take the chance to tell me anything you dislike about me -- the way I talk, posts I make, shows I like, whatever -- then I can pack it all up and take it with me so you don't ever have to deal with my face here again. Sound good?

I'll check back in, oh, five hours or so.

Chill out, ain't no one hating you around here. Hopefully when you come back all this will be out of your system and we can look back on this with a good hearty chuckle.

Too much precure did this.

Well see, now I'm gonna feel bad about what I"m about to post, heh.

So I just helped chaperone a school anime club field trip to a very small con in East Tennessee... I need suggestions on some anime to get me started! I really enjoyed the con and have been asked to help with the club but my anime knowledge is completely null. I need suggestions for some shows to get me started :)

Really I think the club would have a lot of fun suggesting stuff to you and it'd be a great way to get a feel for their taste in shows and start some discussions, otherwise Mad Pierrot has a pretty solid list to get ya started.

Heartcatch Precure something something fashion show movie

Well that was surprisingly good compared to how a lot of franchise movies can go. Baron Salamander is hands down better than any villain throughout the show with an actual reason for all his misanthropy compared desert king Dune. Olivier served as a great excuse to bring out every precure's insecurities/story arc which although is a rehash of what's in the show helped avoid the mistake of leaving characters feeling flat with no real role in the feature film, also it was a nice touch putting a new perspective on Itsuki's arc. I also applaud that they've made one of the more convincing sobbing scenes simply by extending it a little and not having them cheer up at the first and simplest words of encouragement.

My only gripe is here I am enjoying the nice smooth animation of the movie and BAM! They hit me with the stock transformation footage! That and the whole asking the public for their support to defeat the big bad made me cringe a little but at 70 minutes those two issues don't bring this short and sweet experience down too much.

Other thoughts:
- I never thought I'd ever like a magical girl movie more than an Eva movie but here we are.
- Did anyone else think it was creepy when
the fairies were just drinking those smoothies in the dark? in sync?!
- I've grown to really hate such long henshin sequences. Why can't they learn from Gainax and use short versions after the first time? Panty & Stocking can do it, Gurren Lagann can do it, magical girls should too!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Maou-sama 4

Wow, shit's starting to go down now, what with
Lucifer
appearing and all. Also, it's pretty evident that
Maou isn't really evil at all anymore. He basically admitted as much to Emilia before Chiho butted in and ruined things like she always does (suck it, #TeamChiho)
. Also, I figured something was up with
Miki-T
from the start. Glad to see I was right.

Still the best show of the season.

Heartcatch Precure something something fashion show movie

Other thoughts:
- I never thought I'd ever like a magical girl movie more than an Eva movie but here we are.
- Did anyone else think it was creepy when
the fairies were just drinking those smoothies in the dark? in sync?!
- I've grown to really hate such long henshin sequences. Why can't they learn from Gainax and use short versions after the first time? Panty & Stocking can do it, Gurren Lagann can do it, magical girls should too!

Actually that reminds me of what I wanted to say about All Stars DX 3. IT SHOWS US basically, what would happen if they actually let the Precure do special attacks without fucking relying on stock footage to do so (too bad they do that afterwards anyway). Not to mention showing them transform within a second in order to fight. But that's what happens when you're stuck with the Toei budget.

I also recall back when I started the Precure Franchise, I got bothered at how the transformation scenes were inconsistent in regards to how long it took.

Watching:
Gargantia - Great
Hataraku Maou-sama - Great
Majestic Prince - Losing steam
Valvrave - Awfully great
Romcom SNAFU don't know the real name - 9.9/10 It's okay

Watched First Episode But Haven't Continued:
Aku no Hana - Alright
Date-A-Live - Dumb but fun?
Oreimo - Dumb but fun?

Devil Survivor 2 - Rather play the game
Half of Muromi-san - It sucked
Crime Edge - Dumb and not in the Valvrave kind of way

Have Been Avoiding For Some Unknown Reason:
Attack on Titan
Why are you so unsure of yourself?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The only thing I've seen of Sorkin's is The Social Network (fincher :bow :bow) and I think I'll keep it that way given the things I've read about his writing. (well that and i haven't seen the west wing thanks to being turned off by labor politicians here comparing themselves to that fucking show instead of doing anything constructive to curb the rot driving people away from the party in droves)
The West Wing is liberal fantasy anyway, so anyone comparing themselves to the show is in crazy land.

Then again, Labor is the party that keeps destroying itself with its Rudd antics, so maybe they are crazy. :p

zettai bouei leviathan 2

forgot about this show, doesn't help that no one is watching here lol. Seems ok. cute (dragon) girls doing cute (dragon) things.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Shove them into their own mini-arc and that's about it.

They might get encountered near some location where they normally show up in the game, but it's never like they'll continue to hunt them down or something. They see them and are usually forgotten til the next time they see them. And, this does lead to one two to three episode mini arc where the bosses show up, try to do their thing like take over the world or whatever and fail just those darn kids and their Pikachu got in their way.

That sounds like what I expected. I can only imagine how ridiculous these episodes must be considering that these villains are always tied to one legendary Pokemon or another and, as you said, Ash just has Pikachu as always.

Gainax ain't trying to sell the audience every last piece of clothing and accessory in the transformation sequence :lol Most of the intended demographic is sitting there thinking "boy, I'd sure like to wear this shit!" and, well, we're not (but if you are, I wouldn't judge) so there's more time to dwell on the superfluity of it all. I personally love transformation sequences, but I know why others don't.

You haven't experienced Precure anyway until you've watched an episode live as it's airing in Japan so you can be exposed to the commercial breaks. It's a glittering pink orgy of in-your-face consumerism.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I also recall back when I started the Precure Franchise, I got bothered at how the transformation scenes were inconsistent in regards to how long it took.

If you're talking about Futari wa/Max Heart, the true crime isn't that the transformations themselves are abridged but that it causes Sato's themes to be cut to ribbons.

Otherwise, abridged transformations don't bother me except for getting cockblocked on March's hair flip in Smile half the time. Fuck you for seguing into Beauty right before the flip, Toei.

That sounds like what I expected. I can only imagine how ridiculous these episodes must be considering that these villains are always tied to one legendary Pokemon or another and, as you said, Ash just has Pikachu as always.

Well so far, there have only really been two mini arcs, since Team Rocket appears too much anyway for me to count them.

Team Aqua/Magma was not so impressive to be kind and was 2 episodes.

Team Galactic wasn't bad and was 3 episodes.

I guess I'll see how Episode N turns out, not to mention, it's going to be the longest big video game villain mini-arc since it's 14 episodes, though I guess this makes up for the fact that they literally haven't appeared at all in the show yet.

If you're talking about Futari wa/Max Heart, the true crime isn't that the transformations themselves are abridged but that it causes Sato's themes to be cut to ribbons.

Otherwise, abridged transformations don't bother me except for getting cockblocked on March's hair flip in Smile half the time. Fuck you for seguing into Beauty right before the flip, Toei.

Probably because Beauty is competent at least.

Oh well. I actually sit through Heartcatch's stuff at least,
especially Heartcatch Orchestra, it's just over the top for what it is

sonicmj1

It's Emi who has no confidence. She has no confidence in anything. They've written her in such an annoying way too, just for the laughs and dorama. Take for instance her first fight with Mao in Japan when she pulls her knife, she gets flustered when he mocks it. And it just keeps going from there. She's a waffler, she has no confidence in anything she's doing and retroactively seems to be losing confidence in what she's done. if she did have confidence the show would have been over by episode 2 because she'd have carried out her mission.

I disagree. I think everything's defined by her decision to work with Maou in this new world (which makes sense, especially once they're both being targeted), and from that point onward, she has to re-evaluate a lot of the assumptions she held. If you think she should have charged forward without a plan to kill the Demon Lord just because that was her mission, then that's one thing. That would have made her rather foolish, especially given the information we're getting now.

Chiho's low self-esteem is literally extreme enough to power a demon lord.

7Th

The stock footage was one of the things Suite did RIGHT;
the 4 girl henshin is pretty well-done and it perfectly combined all four individual henshins without needing to add that much new animation.

I was going to mention that Mr. Tezuka's Story of a Certain Street Corner kind of fits completely your given description (if I remember correctly there even was a decent picture quality release of it around 2005-06), but I'm more inclined to believe now that Jexhius is closer to the real answer.

Today? :p

Gotdamn! That was it! Yes!

It's available here on DVD and I'm ordering it.

I saw this fansubbed years ago and forgot the name. Didn't know it was by Tezuka! It was very unique and emotional and the art is unique as well. Everyone should check it out.
g27-1_l.jpg

tales-of-the-street-corner.jpg

The stock footage was one of the things Suite did RIGHT;
the 4 girl henshin is pretty well-done and it perfectly combined all four individual henshins without needing to add that much new animation.

So like what, should I not take a break from Precure and get Suite over with unless Syrinx randomly jumps into Smile?

EDIT: Better yet, I'll probably just double up on Suite and Smile.

The stock footage is pretty well animated, though. Especially Sunshine's.

I guess I should've specified that it was quality original animation rather than recycled animation that I enjoyed. I enjoyed sunshine's sequence the first time but it loses it's luster pretty quickly which made me appreciate how short moonlight's was.

You haven't experienced Precure anyway until you've watched an episode live as it's airing in Japan so you can be exposed to the commercial breaks. It's a glittering pink orgy of consumerism and unabashed manipulation.

That does sound like the stuff of nightmares but then again I do follow a tumblr exclusively made up of japanese commercials for fun. Though it is curated so that's probably why I've never seen a single Precure or toy commercial there so far.

fertygo

There's good shounen anime folk, such as this

Hunter x Hunter 77 (2011)

Goddamn the scenario truly fucked up, imagine if there's species that will devour another to extinction if already know your taste.. the breeding method are also fucked up.

The stake has raised to the highest bar now, good stuff.

yami4ct

Ok, finally caught back up on the mecha trio. So, here are my thoughts so far.

Majestic Prince: 03-04

Probably my personal favorite of the three. I just am having way too much fun with this show. It's got so much charm. The characters are all great. They have so much personality. I love the dark undertones of
genetically manipulated child soldiers
that have run throughout the show thus far. I just find the larger story to be super interesting. Episode 3 was pretty weak, but 4 was back to the qualities I really enjoyed from the first 2. It's just so light hearted and fun, which is exactly what I wanted the overall tone to be. Outside of Hunter x Hunter, this is now the show I look forward to checking out week to week the most. It's the type of show I really needed right now.

Valvrave 03

Sooooo dumb. The way the show has really thrown logic out the window from the get-go I think has been what has kept me watching. At this point, anything can happen. It's not quality writing, but there's something to be said for the ability of something so nonsensical to keep viewers on their toes. What really helps this series succeed, though, is the villains. Despite being total dicks, they're just so awesome to watch. I love both L-Elf and A-Drei and cannot wait to see where the show takes these characters. Also, those mecha designs are so overloaded with superfluous crap. It kind of fits the show in a really cool way. It's not a "quality" series, but it's one that's so dang cool to sit back and just watch it happen.

Gargantia 03

Of the 3 shows, this one is definitely the best written. I really want to love it. I just can't. Ledo and Chambers are great. I also absolutely love and am fascinated by the universe and the larger story the show's telling. It's ambitious in a way mecha shows really aren't usually, and I can appreciate that. It's the specifics of the story that fail it, though. The pirate arc has not been compelling to watch really at all. The side characters, except maybe Bellows, are all really bland and boring. I like the "Dances with Wolves" style of storytelling they're going for, but since the basis of communication for the Gargantian side is Ami, it doesn't play out as well as it could. I really dislike her as a character. She's just not at all interesting. She doesn't really have anything interesting to communicate, so the communications breakdown and gap between Ledo and her really doesn't drag me into the story. I still enjoy watching it and will keep up for Sugita and Ledo alone, but I cannot help but see a ton of wasted potential here.

mAcOdIn

I disagree. I think everything's defined by her decision to work with Maou in this new world (which makes sense, especially once they're both being targeted), and from that point onward, she has to re-evaluate a lot of the assumptions she held.
Well, yes, this stuff does make sense, what doesn't make sense is how it came to that. This isn't like the movie "Hell in the Pacific" where two warring fighter pilots crash on some shit island and have to survive, this is a scenario where two demons by their own admission are hell bent on conquering the human Emilia's homeland and expanding their goal to Earth run into the "Hero" Emilia who very much has a side in this game and is surrounded by that side. She is human, she fights for humanity, so all these weird foreign Japanese people are still her bretherin, her mission aids not just herself and her homeland but Japan and the greater world and if worst came to worst she could live comfortably in Japan even if she got stuck there forever. Now that it's come to this point, sure it makes sense it just needn't have come to this point.

If you think she should have charged forward without a plan to kill the Demon Lord just because that was her mission, then that's one thing. That would have made her rather foolish, especially given the information we're getting now.
That would not have made her foolish. You can't take information learned much later and retroactively apply it to a decision made in the past as justification for a decision then. Mao was undeniably a demon lord in the other realm, by his own admission he launched a war on humanity and by his own admission he was going to resume it AND expand it to take over Japan as well. There would be nothing foolish in eliminating him then, that he later becomes a good guy is irrelevant to the decision then and whether it'd be foolish or not.

Chiho's low self-esteem is literally extreme enough to power a demon lord.
This is true but not really a point as, for one, I think literally any heart broken girl would have worked just for story purposes it was Chiho, and, if that's what her despair and resentment does than one can only imagine what kind of powerup someone would get from leeching off Emilia's emotions, probably enough to destroy the world or some story breaking shit.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well so far, there have only really been two mini arcs, since Team Rocket appears too much anyway for me to count them.

Team Aqua/Magma was not so impressive to be kind and was 2 episodes.

Team Galactic wasn't bad and was 3 episodes.

I guess I'll see how Episode N turns out, not to mention, it's going to be the longest big video game villain mini-arc since it's 14 episodes, though I guess this makes up for the fact that they literally haven't appeared at all in the show yet.

Whoa, 14 straight episodes with continuity? By Pokemon standards that's incredibly long. Sometimes I regret not sticking with BW after the first three or four episodes, but I'd definitely die trying to marathon it.

Probably because Beauty is competent at least.

Oh well. I actually sit through Heartcatch's stuff at least,
especially Heartcatch Orchestra, it's just over the top for what it is

She's competent because she's a robot!

The stock footage was one of the things Suite did That does sound like the stuff of nightmares but then again I do follow a [URL=" exclusively made up of japanese commercials for fun. Though it is curated so that's probably why I've never seen a single Precure or toy commercial there so far.

You can find some on youtube, but why would anyone ever want to actually see them given the choice? They make me feel incredibly dirty.

CorvoSol

Betterman 9

I swear this exact plot was used in Evangelion. It's the one with the boats and stuff. Well, not exact, but the episode definitely reminded me of it. Betterman got a new form for a new toy. Keita shoved his face into Asami's butt, Hinoki got jelly. Bidnez as per usual here.

cajunator

Banned
Been festivalin' all day. So much fun! Probably 100k people out there.

oh my god you guys are seriously starting this again
couldn't you just both, I dunno, NOT take the other's bait and avoid getting into an argument in the first place

now what fun is that?
Its certainly not our fault that SAO is terrible and shouldnt exist!

I requested that in my post anyway, so thanks!

I'm sure I should be horrified, but all I can do is hnnnnnnnnng.

I know. That gif is so adorable that practically anything could be substituted in it and I would just hnngh.

I loved how fans of Madoka got punched in the face by Shaft completely redesigning Mami's apartment. I still smile while thinking about it.

No way man. Mami's apartment looks gorgeous. This is why I never look too much into the meanings of anime. Too much smoke and mirrors.

Sometimes a blue chair is just that, a blue chair.

Exactly, my friend!

I love how this lead to the enormous amount of HomuHomu fanart with cat ears.

You and me both!

No shit. THIS WILL NOT STAND!

But that leaves thread empty!

Yeah. Life without gifs is no life to live.

Good stuff. The number of people viewing from work should be zero though, considering some of the material that gets posted here.

Hahaha. I view this from work daily. Now I dont always have time to respond.

As much as I like Sawashiro, other than her sexy, throaty, growly voice, she really doesn't have much going for her. Then again, it's not like any of these roles are really asking much of her.

Mint blancmanche and Aoba Tsugumi are her best roles.

Tsundere sake. With a mascot character voiced by Sakura Tange. Who has her own story on a drama CD included with the sake set. Now I've seen everything.

There are voice samples on the website.
http://moesyu.com/tsundere/

hmmm...not sure if want.

You know what, I think this

is correct. You guys are so full of hate for everything that I'm starting to get close to not being able to enjoy stuff that I think I would otherwise.

Thats not true! I only really hate SAO because its the worst thing ever. I love just about everything else, or else feign indifference to it.

fertygo

Ok, finally caught back up on the mecha trio. So, here are my thoughts so far.

Majestic Prince: 03-04

Probably my personal favorite of the three. I just am having way too much fun with this show. It's got so much charm. The characters are all great. They have so much personality. I love the dark undertones of
genetically manipulated child soldiers
that have run throughout the show thus far. I just find the larger story to be super interesting. Episode 3 was pretty weak, but 4 was back to the qualities I really enjoyed from the first 2. It's just so light hearted and fun, which is exactly what I wanted the overall tone to be. Outside of Hunter x Hunter, this is now the show I look forward to checking out week to week the most. It's the type of show I really needed right now.
I feel we watching different show, feel the exact opposite of what you writing here..
The character are so bland, and I feel betrayed with how the show take itself seriously.. I thought the comedy gonna in much bigger portion?
Turned out, from the 3 mech show.. this one that take it way too seriously at most.

Well apparently only you, ducky, and maybe DTL that left in hype train!

You can find some on youtube, but why would anyone ever want to actually see them given the choice? They make me feel incredibly dirty.

Morbid curiosity, hell that's why I started watching Precure in the first place! If you meant that tumblr in general though it's because it's like getting a quirky little present in my RSS feed!

yami4ct

I feel we watching different show, feel the exact opposite of what you writing here..
The character are so bland, and I feel betrayed with how the show take itself seriously.. I thought the comedy gonna in much bigger portion?
Turned out, from the 3 mech show.. this one that take it way too seriously at most.

Well apparently only you, ducky, and maybe DTL that left in hype train!

Outside of a few of the more dramatic moments, of which there have been only a couple each episode, I don't really see the show taking itself all that seriously. It's telling a serious story as a backdrop, but most of the character interactions and writing I find to be mostly lighthearted fun.

Eh, to each his own. If all that's left in the end are me, duckroll and DTL on board, I'd be OK with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom