• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

You're just saying that because you don't like Suzuhito Yasuda, though. I'm glad he didn't "take over" Abe's style for Serial Experiments Lain, or Ume's for Madoka.

It's subtle, but he kinda took over Lain (a lot more than he did with Durarara and Madoka, at least); it looks fairly different from Haibane and Texholyze.

Regardless, most, if not all, higher-tier animators are more technically accomplished than any manga/LN/VN artist so if the animation character designer is competent just ditching the original style is perfectly fine. It's not particularly uncommon; the best selling manga adaptation in the last 10 years is barely similar to the manga.

7Th

Fucking disgusting:
critikon1.jpg

Cute:

The perfect example.

Branduil

It's subtle, but he kinda took over Lain (a lot more than he did with Durarara and Madoka, at least); it looks fairly different from Haibane and Texholyze.

Regardless, most, if not all, higher-tier animators are more technically accomplished than any manga/LN/VN artist so if the animation character designer is competent just ditching the original style is perfectly fine. It's not particularly uncommon; the best selling manga adaptation in the last 10 years is barely similar to the manga.

I didn't say his designs weren't different in Lain, just that you could recognize the original artist. And both Lain and Madoka are original series, so if they hired them to make original designs just for the animation character designer to completely erase their style, that would be a pretty silly waste of money.

And yes we all know kakifly is a hack.

7Th

I didn't say his designs weren't different in Lain, just that you could recognize the original artist. And both Lain and Madoka are original series, so if they hired them to make original designs just for the animation character designer to completely erase their style, that would be a pretty silly waste of money.

There is more to character design than just the drawing style...

And yes we all know kakifly is a hack.

As far as art is concerned, most mangaka are hacks.

Jex

Majestic Prince 4

First episode I liked from beginning to end without any qualms or issues. The 5 main characters are all starting to act like humans and have real human thoughts about fighting and their existence. The back story of not only their teacher but the war helps to establish some much needed background. Hope this becomes the standard and the first 2.5 episodes were just a rough opening.

duckroll can sleep happily tonight.

/XX/

And both Lain and Madoka are original series, so if they hired them to make original designs just for the animation character designer to completely erase their style, that would be a pretty silly waste of money.
A original character designer always goes associated to an animation character designer to adapt those for animation because, after the initial idea, they are who actually have to implement those "skeleton" designs and supervise the animator's way of using them all in a workable way, offering further discussion and additional requests to the original character creator. It is a process of more continuous input back-and-forth than handling the sheets and be done with it.

Branduil

There is more to character design than just the drawing style...

Who said there wasn't? The point is that Abe's and Ume's art has unique distinguishing characteristics and there would be no point in hiring them if that didn't show up in the show.

As far as art is concerned, most mangaka are hacks.

Perhaps the same could be said about all anime/manga/LN art.

A original character design always goes associated to an animation character designer to adapt those for animation, because after the initial idea they are who actually have to implement those skeleton designs in a workable way and offer further discussion. It is a process of more continuous input back-and-forth than handling the sheets and be done with it.

Well I didn't imagine there was no feedback process, I was merely arguing against 7th's idea that animation character designers should just come up with their own designs every time.

Jex

There's also a question of whether or not Chamber will got all HAL when the time comes (or if it comes, to be fair).

A clever writer might try to twist expectations by having Chamber be the true human being at the end of the series, by circumstance or by choice (say, Ledo choosing to do something that serves the Galactic Fleet but is detrimental to the humans on Earth).

All of that said, it's very possible that all of his handwringing about individuality and choice will be forgotten next week and we'll be back to fighting big breasted pirates in crappy looking robots.

Yeah, I don't think that's likely to happen at all, although I'm sure the whole human vs. machine dichotomy will be touched on again as the series progresses.

7Th

Who said there wasn't? The point is that Abe's and Ume's art has unique distinguishing characteristics and there would be no point in hiring them if that didn't show up in the show.

Abe's art is actually good so it really has nothing to do with what I said; the discussion turns more interesting when talking about popular but shitty artists like Huke...

Perhaps the same could be said about all anime/manga/LN art.

Sure; but my point always was that any higher-tier animator is more technically accomplished as an artist than any mangaka. There is a reason that the guy Japan considers one of the best manga artists of all time is an ex-animator.

And before anyone brings up the OPM guy, there are at least 50 currently active animators in Japan with the ability to draw circles around him.

Theonik

My secret revealed. I am 100% jealous of him. Also I see you've increased the lewdness levels of your avatar.

He's made the common mistake of img tagging the page with the image rather than the image itself.
He made the mistake of trying to hotlink yandere.re! And the change had to be done. Wish it didn't scale so blurry though. But whatever!

Jex

But one is like a blob. They're fun to poke at and hug... and squish.

Nah, one's a monster and one is cute. This is well known.

I can't explain to you why that's the case, because I have no expertise in explaining what makes things aesthetically pleasing.

7Th

That seems like a ridiculous over-generalization to me.

Eh, you're probably right; trying to prove or disprove it would become "list wars" shit and that's better left for the gaming side. I better reword it as "the technical skill required to do high-tier 2D animation is much higher than the technical skill required to do manga"... but that's a self-evident, inoffensive statement and everyone finds those boring.

/XX/

Well I didn't imagine there was no feedback process, I was merely arguing against 7th's idea that animation character designers should just come up with their own designs every time.
Animation is ultimately a pre-processed work until the animator at its far end, so how those character's need to act and being first is one thing that has to be previously worked on by more outsider 'hands' that can offer needed key ideas for them to work on. Art is something that goes associated and devised simultaneously with the ideas to preserve better the character concepts, but has to be made seemingly consistent and apt for these animators for they can be more comfortable with it, assimilable, so the intermediary handles this while conserving the essence, that is more than the look that originally goes with it.

How those characters could animate 'gracefully' should depend more on the animation character designer, as the later responsible in accomplishing the end result, so it is more understandable in my opinion that they should dominate the visual approach to said characters.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I will attempt to explain the possible difference between the gif Chickdigger posted and the Senran Kagura gif.

The Chickdigger gif is suggestive because it shows the character moving a portion of their body that has close similarities to a sexual move. The Senran Kagura gif shows girls ramming their butts at each other at high speeds, with their clothes ripping off slightly each time do the impact. I'd say that the former gif is much more suggestive than the latter especially when possibly seen by a coworker as you are scrolling down the page. It also doesn't help that the former gif is very obvious in what is happening, while the latter could give enough leeway with scrolling down the page without a coworker understanding what was happening in the gif, due to the high speeds and less of a focal point. Whether that means the former should be nsfw, or both should be nsfw, that is not up to me.

Dr. Corgi GAF signing off.

Branduil

Nah, one's a monster and one is cute. This is well known.

I can't explain to you why that's the case, because I have no expertise in explaining what makes things aesthetically pleasing.

I don't think it's hard to figure out in this case.

Top: Huge, dead eyes, a stiff pose, starched clothes, generic helmet hair, lifeless lines, pale skin. It all contributes to her looking like some creepy posed doll.

Bottom: shiny eyes full of "life," a dynamic pose, believably wrinkled clothing, flowing hair, stylized line work, and blushing cheeks to show she's alive.

Eh, you're probably right; trying to prove or disprove it would become "list wars" shit and that's better left for the gaming side. I better reword it as "the technical skill required to do high-tier 2D animation is much higher than the technical skill required to do manga"... but that's a self-evident, inoffensive statement and everyone finds those boring.

Well that's certainly a more reasonable statement and yeah, that wouldn't provoke any arguments or discussion.

Jex

I will attempt to explain the possible difference between the gif Chickdigger posted and the Senran Kagura gif.

The Chickdigger gif is suggestive because it shows the character moving a portion of their body that has close similarities to a sexual move. The Senran Kagura gif shows girls ramming their butts at each other at high speeds, with their clothes ripping off slightly each time do the impact. I'd say that the former gif is much more suggestive than the latter especially when possibly seen by a coworker as you are scrolling down the page. It also doesn't help that the former gif is very obvious in what is happening, while the latter could give enough leeway with scrolling down the page without a coworker understanding what was happening in the gif, due to the high speeds and less of a focal point. Whether that means the former should be nsfw, or both should be nsfw, that is not up to me.

Dr. Corgi GAF signing off.

I'd be inclined to think they are both NSFW, but hey. I'm glad I don't have to moderate anyone!

Branduil

Animation is ultimately an animators processed work at its far end, so how those character's need to act and being is one thing that needs to be previously worked on by more outside 'hands' that can offer needed key ideas for them to work on. Art is something that goes associated with it but has to be made consistent and apt for these animators for they can be more comfortable with it, assimilable, so the intermediary handles this while conserving the essence that is more than the look.

How those characters could animate 'gracefully' should depend more on the animation character designer, as the later responsible in accomplishing the end result, so it is more understandable in my opinion that they should dominate the visual approach to said characters.

Well all of that certainly makes sense, and I think it's entirely reasonable to say that the animation character designer should have the final say. I just think it would be silly to hire an original character designer if you didn't want his work to show up in the final product.

cajunator

Banned
I don't think it's hard to figure out in this case.

Top: Huge, dead eyes, a stiff pose, starched clothes, generic helmet hair, lifeless lines, pale skin. It all contributes to her looking like some creepy posed doll.

Bottom: shiny eyes full of "life," a dynamic pose, believably wrinkled clothing, flowing hair, stylized line work, and blushing cheeks to show she's alive.

Well that's certainly a more reasonable statement and yeah, that wouldn't provoke any arguments or discussion.

You just described Sucy's appearance. although she is certainly better than the sum of her parts.

Branduil

You just described Sucy's appearance. although she is certainly better than the sum of her parts.

Not really.

Besides, there's a difference between achieving something deliberately versus an unintended side effect of your artistic inexperience.

Dont worry, its an adorable character design regardless.
I'm not knocking how Sucy looks. I love how she looks.

The point is that the quoted doesn't describe the designs at all.

cajunator

Banned
Not really.

Besides, there's a difference between achieving something deliberately versus an unintended side effect of your artistic inexperience.

The point is that the quoted doesn't describe the designs at all.

Yes it totally matches how Sucy looks, except that Sucy intentionally looks like that, and it works for her. It doesnt work for Yui, who has a bubblier genki personality and is more of a moeblob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom