• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

Exactly 7 days for the big announcement:
cover_new-project.png

cajunator

Banned
But until then, it's still the only one.

I mean, I want more, and hope for more, but I generally get undermined with things.

I dont know. I was hoping (along with many others) for more Chihayafuru and that happened. I mean, unless you are hoping for Despera, anything is possible.

/XX/

Well all of that certainly makes sense, and I think it's entirely reasonable to say that the animation character designer should have the final say. I just think it would be silly to hire an original character designer if you didn't want his work to show up in the final product.
But the gist of it all is that it really shows, as I see it. Just not overall visually but in how those characters were first conceived after all.

I think we should check some individual examples inside the experiences of those involved in such process to understand it better, but I personally always had the impression that, for people working exclusively as original character designers on a project, their work was ultimately associated to the character's concept as a whole, all the concept from background to personality and (of course) appearance, a package.

I'd like to track down the interview, but someone like Kenichi Sonoda (who is also often credited as concept designer simultaneously, showing the kind of involvement I'm referring to) talked on it about his designs as whole "products" he has to make the animators work with and accept through further refining. He acknowledged a manipulation was necessary to animate them but the "product" was his vision first and foremost, saying this for the character's feelings and actions also.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It sure felt like forever and no, sorry, it totally wasn't.
A lesser director would have shown Shinji's indecision in that scene by going into an internal monologuing of his conflicting emotions regarding Kaworu. Anno managed to convey the same feeling with exactly one frame. :p Efficient storytelling.

The climax of episode 24 is exactly the type of decision-making I don't see Anno daring to do at this point in his career.

-Horizon-

Hayate Cuties 4

∑( °Д°)

Arata Kangatari 4

As cliche as this whole learning to trust people thing has been, I thought this was an ok episode

CorvoSol

My Little Code Golbez Can't Possibly Love Pizza Hut This Much 6

I legit enjoyed this episode, what with the high school hijinks and the Catbez being cooler than Golbez. I'm sort of confused here, though: is Clovis
dead, or not? I mean, we never SAW Lelouch kill him, but errybody was sayin' how he was dead and all, except now Notto dissu shittu again guy is sayin' how he spoke with him, and people are describing him as gentle and he has a painting of Lelouch on the wall in his room.

Catbez should've had his own show.

cajunator

Banned
Earth Maiden Arjuna 04

This episode wasn't bad at all. After getting rescued from the forest by Tokio, both of them get lost when his motorcycle runs out of gas.
The lesson to be learned in this episode is creepy old men in the forest are your friend.
Also staring at pieces of fish will give you delusions.
This episode is where Yoko's original composition of Mameshiba comes in and along with the visuals, it is an absolutely GORGEOUS audiovisual display for a few minutes.
Then it gets a bit weird and preachy again. It also appears that the Raaja are maybe not what they seem...
I reallyl ike this show actually.

Coinciding with that discussion about favorite OPs a while back, here's a poll that's not Biglobe for once -- the most popular anime OP singles from series based on 90s Shonen Jump manga.

http://ranking.goo.ne.jp/ranking/026/g66QBuQPPX6o/

1) Cha-La-Head-Cha-La (Dragonball Z)
2) Sobakasu (Rurouni Kenshin)
3) Dan Dan Kokoro Hikareteku (Dragonball GT)
4) Kimi ga Suki da to Sakebitai (Slam Dunk)
5) We Are (One Piece)
6) Smile Bomb (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Rest of the top 20 are at the link.

Ohayou is way too low on that list. Solid top of the list, though.

/XX/

I'm still disappointed they never released a full sheet for Chariot
and her sexy costume.
Yeah, and people like Masaru Sakamoto weren't helping either with their illustrations of her:

Twitter / tuki3002: 僕も流れで・・・w ...
https://twitter.com/tuki3002/status/307681996023414784/photo/1

She is SO cool!

I had the impression the "surprise" Inferno Cop hinted at would be related, but his latest 'tweet' left me in suspense:

Twitter / InfernoCop_USA: @AdrianMihailov we will announce ...
https://twitter.com/InfernoCop_USA/status/326912212860018688

A "little bit" of information doesn't quite sounds like my wanted 'full blowout with trailer included just after the announced 16-pages scoop at the next Newtype is released in all its glory'! :-(

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wait, America doesn't exist, but the European Union does?

Is there no cause and effect in the world of Code Geass?

Didn't Britain decide to relocate their central government to America (Britannia), and the European Union was formed later to give the collective nations more power as a group?

LegatoB

Wait, America doesn't exist, but the European Union does?

How does history even work in the world of Code Geass?
I don't think it's ever directly spelled out in the show rather than supplementary material, but, IIRC,
the American revolution failed, but conflicts with the rest of Europe resulted in the British Empire uprooting the nobility to their new home in the American colonies
. Yep. Pretty dumb.

CorvoSol

Dont you mean ARUS?
tumblr_inline_mlx8stMYmD1qz4rgp.png

What I don't get about ARUS is where that leaves the Pacific United States. Do Washington and California just break off and join a nation with Japan or something?
Ah, so this doesn't have anything to do with historical validity, you just mad Geass took a dump on the US.

I amended my statement to avoid people assuming that was the reason behind my question. I legit want to know how Europe even works in Code Geass land, because without America there as a third party, things get pretty damn crazy around the time of the world wars. Nevermind there's that whole Napoleon thing Britain would still have to jump.

Like, how does a democratic body emerge in Europe if an All-Powerful British Monarchy reigns? Because the way I was taught it played out that with the dwindling powers of the European democracies, coupled with the meritocracy left behind by Napoleon, people wanted Democracy themselves. But if the British Monarchy remained all-powerful, it would've crushed Napoleon before he could make it across Europe and leave his Code for people to get hooked on, so the royals of the rest of Europe would've remained.

And I can understand a Union being formed as a military alliance against Britannia, but the King of Britannia describes the EU as a democratic thing, which is where I'm lost.

Besides, I already voiced my feels about Code Geass' weird but forgiveable nationalism. I ain't mad about America and England being bad guys because whatevs (all though the show trying to convince me that Japan invented the Pinky Swear is ridiculous.) I just wanna know how all this works.

/XX/

the discussion turns more interesting when talking about popular but shitty artists like Huke...
popular but shitty artists like Huke...
popular but shitty artists like Huke...
Didn't see this earlier, but it cuts me deep! Why do you say that? Maybe he is popular for reasons that don't quite indicate what he is truly capable of, but I think he is by himself a sufficiently accomplished artist (I'll just say this without making further comparisons).

Is your reason per chance similar to the one pizzaroll argued with me time ago (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=43657902#post43657902)?

7Th

Didn't see this earlier, but it cuts me deep! Why do you say that? Maybe he is popular for reasons that don't quite indicate what he is truly capable of, but I think he is by himself a sufficiently accomplished artist (I'll just say this without making further comparisons).

Is your reason per chance similar to the one pizzaroll argued with me time ago (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=43657902#post43657902)?

It's pretty much the same argument in that he can't draw movement; I was gonna post a comparison between Matsuo's ultra-dynamic art for BRS versus Huke's but I guess it would be redundant.

Gargantia 4

Nice relaxing episode. Nice to see the world getting fleshed out and really am digging some of the art. One thing that was surprising was Ledo remembering his mom....he seemed pretty old in the scene, how could he forget her?

Anyway, I've changed my mind. Gargantia has the best ending song this season.

Nisemonogatari 5

So more plot development, along with dicking around a bit before getting to the main subject, that's our formula.

Today's episode is brought to you by wiping down your sister (voluntarily) and
saying lets kiss in order to get the super natural poison

He's popular, but the shit that he has done so far is probably why he didn't have friends I bet.

Gargantia 4

Nice relaxing episode. Nice to see the world getting fleshed out and really am digging some of the art. One thing that was surprising was Ledo remembering his mom....he seemed pretty old in the scene, how could he forget her?

Anyway, I've changed my mind. Gargantia has the best ending song this season.

I'll agree to that. It's a rare show that will get me to watch the ED all the way through every time.

JCG

If you think too much about the plot of Geass the entire anime completely falls apart

That's not even the actual plot, but merely the largely unnecessary background history for the setting.

Though I don't see why, assuming you can even accept the starting point of the show, it would be particularly hard to swallow the existence of an European superpower.

Like, how does a democratic body emerge in Europe if an All-Powerful British Monarchy reigns? Because the way I was taught it played out that with the dwindling powers of the European democracies, coupled with the meritocracy left behind by Napoleon, people wanted Democracy themselves. But if the British Monarchy remained all-powerful, it would've crushed Napoleon before he could make it across Europe and leave his Code for people to get hooked on, so the royals of the rest of Europe would've remained.

Because the French Revolution was more successful in its spread of revolutionary ideals across Europe. Why? That's not explained in any detail.

But the result is the British monarchy was threatened and fled to America, probably like how the Portuguese royals escaped to Brazil in our reality.

/XX/

It's pretty much the same argument in that he can't draw movement; I was gonna post a comparison between Matsuo's ultra-dynamic art for BRS versus Huke's but I guess it would be redundant.
I'd agree (in part) with you here, because he has had a tendency of showing off in that way his own character designs, it reminds me of exaggerated fashion model stances... that's true. As an example, his work on the METAL GEAR AC!D 2 comic (http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/mga2/japanese/intro_comic_01.html), that I put in that TEAM FULLMECHA post I linked to earlier, is more loose (in that aspect you mention) and earlier his works were more sharp and dynamic, but that is something he has been leaving aside for some time to keep pushing for unnatural (and therefore gaudy) poses along a style which has been making him more popular.
I understand what you say but I simply think that his late work doesn't shows it, not that he can't do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom