• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

I understand what you say but I simply think that his late work doesn't shows it, not that he can't do it...

Actually, that comic does look pretty good; MUCH better than the stuff you see from him in BRS and Steins;Gate.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Exactly 7 days for the big announcement:
cover_new-project.png
Oh my GOD.

Cardcaptor Sakura 1

ibj4GIpCbZdcuw.jpg

I'm inclined to agree!

I enjoyed pretty much every second of this. Sakura is adorable, this tiny ojou-sama is a voyeur, Kerberos is hilarious, and I really love these clow card encounters. This should be a fun watch.

CorvoSol

That's not even the actual plot, but merely the largely unnecessary background history for the setting.

Though I don't see why, assuming you can even accept the starting point of the show, it would be particularly hard to swallow the existence of an European superpower.

Because the French Revolution was more successful in its spread across Europe. The British monarchy fled to America, probably like how the Portuguese royals escaped to Brazil in our reality.

I should note it isn't particularly hard to look past it, its just that I took a history class this semester so these things are fresh in my mind and I'm trying to make sense of them, that's all. I'd like to think nobody thinks I'm ragging on the show because of its nonsensical history, because I can accept alternate histories just fine for fiction (00's ridiculously hamfisted world unification notwithstanding), I'm just curious.

I can see the Monarchy fleeing to America since the Portuguese did that, but how was the French Revolution more successful? I mean, we discussed at length in this class (and my professor was Austrian, so I hope he was less biased than most) why the American Revolution succeeded where the French did not.

I suppose the answer is that without the American Revolution to bring monarchies down a peg, conditions only grew worse until the French Revolution, and so there was no Napoleon because the French Revolution succeeded, except that, if the American Revolution had failed, and Britain had remained powerful or, as the show suggests, grown in power, it seems odd to me that the French Revolution would then be successful, since at the time European Monarchies flocked to France to put the, what was it the Bourbons? back in power so that Monarchy would reign over Democracy.

cajunator

Banned
Cardcaptor Sakura 1

I enjoyed pretty much every second of this. Sakura is adorable, this tiny ojou-sama is a voyeur, Kerberos is hilarious, and I really love these clow card encounters. This should be a fun watch.

RIP ZachdeKoromaru

You have no idea of how much Cute you are about to ingest here. I would advise to take some breaks every few episodes for the sake of your heart.
CCS is a miracle of the universe.

RIP ZachdeKoromaru

You have no idea of how much Cute you are about to ingest here. I would advise to take some breaks every few episodes for the sake of your heart.

tumblr_meh4j7upIv1rmzqg5o1_500.gif

Simply adorable. Look here anime, this is how you make younger characters adorable.

JCG

I suppose the answer is that without the American Revolution to bring monarchies down a peg, conditions only grew worse until the French Revolution, and so there was no Napoleon because the French Revolution succeeded, except that, if the American Revolution had failed, and Britain had remained powerful or, as the show suggests, grown in power, it seems odd to me that the French Revolution would then be successful, since at the time European Monarchies flocked to France to put the, what was it the Bourbons? back in power so that Monarchy would reign over Democracy.

There are bits and pieces of "new" information due to the ongoing release of the Akito OVA, which is a Code Geass side story set in Europe, but none of them have really gone into the detailed specifics of how and why the points of divergence came about, at least not at the time of this writing. Maybe they will later on, maybe they won't.

This is the only "official" explanation right now:

The wave of revolution started in France spread like a storm throughout all of Europe. But just before it crossed over the strait of Dover, the British imperial family decided to move their capital to a new continent. This resulted in the birth of the Holy Britannian Empire.

Due to the export of revolution and war throughout Europe, a man named Napoleon managed to seize much power and authority. Alas, the people feared that he would become another tyrant, and they put him to death. This was the turning point of Europe's history, and with this the E.U became a democratic region.

That being the case, your explanation is as good as any other. Well, except that Napoleon did exist, but apparently he didn't get to become Emperor and a purely republican form of government remained in place. Like others have already said, it's probably not worth scratching your head too much over this. Let's assume a few revolutionaries (maybe even with magic eyes!) were responsible for the difference and toppled the monarchies in the other European countries much easier than in real life, so Britain had fewer continental allies.

RIP ZachdeKoromaru

Clearly I've been training all my anime life for this moment. Sakura is definitely maximum so I'm not sure how I'll handle her in all of those outfits I've seen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Uh, given K-on, I think it's far more likely they'd swing the other way and have far too little actual swimming.

Swimming requires too much animation for that to be particularly likely. It's not a card game where you can show a bunch of still and have people talking. There probably won't be enough swimming.

Eh, I wouldn't really worry about that after all the swimming, youth & (UPPERBODY) friendship talk from the press conference. Well, that and K-On! lol

I guess I've become bitter because of all the sports shows I've seen in the past year or so. If Saki is the most recent sports show with the most characterization (and Side-A is, as much as I like it, a bit of a mess in terms of the sports stuff), I just don't have much hope.

I'd be happy if they just pulled a Hyouka and spent an episode looking for an earring in the pool. lol

Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA 1

I continue to be really impressed at how funny this show can be even though it's not much more than a bajillion perverted 4koma jokes per second. I think the timing component is expertly approached - jokes that would be crap if they weren't like a half-second long hit like a train, instead. And the sound effects especially are absolutely hilarious.

It's a good thing I had a break though after finishing the 13-episode season, because otherwise it would probably be overload.

ED is still one of the coolest things I've ever seen

This is really how you would do a 4koma in anime form, assuming you wanted to keep the 4koma pacing and not create a real show out of it like Kotoura or K-Ob. Of course, you also have some of the K-On cast being perverted, which I'm sure is a bonus for some. :p

-----

So, Evangelion 3.33333333 really was stupid to the point of being comedy. I can only imagine the reaction someone must have had if they were actually watching this in the theatre. Would they be suffering as much as Shinji? Would they lose the will to live? Would someone need to drag their mindbroken, soulless husk of a body out of their seat?

At least Kaworu was great, as expected.

CorvoSol

I saw a couple episodes of Sakura when I was a kid. I remember thinking it was another lame show trying to capitalize on the Digimon/Pokemon craze, like Monster Rancher.

I was a close minded child.

FMP?F!! 5

This episode introduces us to Sousuke's new high school rival: Issei Tsubaki, who has no significance in Sousuke's life outside of this series and is more or less overshadowed by Sousuke's later rival
Leonard Testarossa.
Issei kinda reminds me of Kagura from Azumanga Daioh for some reason, but I don't know exactly why or how. Just does.

Anyway Sousuke and Tsubaki make a sordid deal that the winner of their contest keeps Kaname, which Senior Hayashimizu quickly overturns, pointing out that Sagara doesn't have that kind of power. He does. Kaname's not keen on the sexism.

They wind up injuring the janitor and having to help him out as punishment. They set him off and he turns into a psycho janitor. When Kaname finds Sousuke the next morning, he's just muttering "Live ammo has no effect on this guy" again and again.

I also noticed this episode that where in FMP! the opening credits say the show was developed in conjunction with Mithril, FMP?F!!'s opening credits say the show was developed with the help of the Jindai High School Committee. Which is adorable.

Savor the carefree highschool feel while you can, because pretty much after this it gets hella serious
Sort of. The Dancing Very Merry Christmas arc is kind of the last fun Sousuke and Kaname have before Leonard more or less declares war on them.

Thoraxes

Cardcaptor Sakura 1

You are going to die.

This is cute in the highest, purest form.

RIP in peace, we hardly knew ye.

RIP ZachdeKoromaru

Hell yeah.

Kurita

I saw a couple episodes of Sakura when I was a kid. I remember thinking it was another lame show trying to capitalize on the Digimon/Pokemon craze, like Monster Rancher.

I was a close minded child.

Ya crazy bro, it was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid.

Man this is making me want to watch CSS. I've only seen a couple of episodes and though the characters are all charming and adorable the story just didn't hook me.

Thoraxes

I didn't have great taste in anime until I was a teenager, okay?
I have always and always will secretly love Monster Rancher in my heart.

I remember playing the PS1 game and using my mom's Celine Dion CD to get monsters from other people's discs.

Conan-san

I didn't have great taste in anime until I was a teenager, okay?
I have always and always will secretly love Monster Rancher in my heart.

I'll proclaim my love of Monster Rancher here. Sure the dub had it's moments but it was a very good second to Digimon.

cajunator

Banned
Earth Maiden Arjuna and the Fantastic Voyage 05

Meriken burgers are fucking evil. I'm not even kidding. Don't fuck with them.
Also this went all crazy again. Mystical powers inside the human gut and such.
Juna will make the happy bacteria grow.

Well shit, I saw this post 4 minutes after it was posted

Its not too late if you hurry!

Clearly I've been training all my anime life for this moment. Sakura is definitely maximum so I'm not sure how I'll handle her in all of those outfits I've seen.

All your training was worth it. This is what you are alive for. You were put on this Earth to see Cardcaptor Sakura. It is your destiny.

I can hear the UWWWEEEHHHHHHHHHH in my head now.

Oh man the uweh's. CCS is the meaning of life. we are born. We watch CCS. and we die. Its the natural order of things.

/XX/

Actually, that comic does look pretty good; MUCH better than the stuff you see from him in BRS and Steins;Gate.
Yeah! It is a shame he kind of disregards what is totally a pretty valid early style. Just take a look at what can still be salvaged from his old website:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040803094454/http://www.interq.or.jp/osaka/huke/
http://web.archive.org/web/20040813041048/http://www.interq.or.jp/osaka/huke/picture.html

Some of those illustrations would have otherwise been totally forgotten and probably erased from the 'face of the Internet'.

Cardcaptor Sakura 1

Well she loves you, that's why she's weird to you. After dealing with the Bishonen trio, we see the daily life of a Grade school girl, filled with imagination of children's yonder. As such it might be problematic for her. For example...

For starters, I'm pretty sure burglars don't sound like horses. We also see the power of a grade schooler having trouble reading (how adorable), although I'm not sure if it's because it's in english or not. She screwed things up and triggered the collectathon sequence that would make Rareware proud.

She's just a kawaii grade schooler, WHAT do you want from her D:.

We're off to a promising start, but oh boy, a long runner. Not Precure franchise long, but it's still a long one.

cajunator

Banned
Cardcaptor Sakura 1

Well she loves you, that's why she's weird to you. After dealing with the Bishonen trio, we see the daily life of a Grade school girl, filled with imagination of children's yonder. As such it might be problematic for her. For example...

For starters, I'm pretty sure burglars don't sound like horses. We also see the power of a grade schooler having trouble reading (how adorable), although I'm not sure if it's because it's in english or not. She screwed things up and triggered the collectathon sequence that would make Rareware proud.

She's just a kawaii grade schooler, WHAT do you want from her D:.

We're off to a promising start, but oh boy, a long runner. Not Precure franchise long, but it's still a long one.

Its 70 episodes long, but you wont be able to marathon the whole thing at once anyway. Its too cute.
One thing it really has going for it is that Sakura never wears the same outfit. Tomoyo makes her new ones every episode and her "transformation" isnt really one as such.
As a result the show has a bit of a different vibe to it than a typical mahou shoujo, but still keeps the monster of the week and solving grade school issues format typical of the genre.
Oh and the inserts songs, OP's and ED's are CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE.

Its 70 episodes long, but you wont be able to marathon the whole thing at once anyway. Its too cute.
One thing it really has going for it is that Sakura never wears the same outfit. Tomoyo makes her new ones every episode and her "transformation" isnt really one as such.
As a result the show has a bit of a different vibe to it than a typical mahou shoujo, but still keeps the monster of the week and solving grade school issues format typical of the genre.
Oh and the inserts songs, OP's and ED's are CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE.

I don't plan on straight marathoning considering I'll have other things running parallel with this, namely Suite (and possible Smile) Precure, and whatever else is on the side.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's sad when the cutest person in that picture is Kasuga.

Haly

I wonder how they felt while doing that scene with
nekkid
Kasuga in ep 3.

image.php

It's not like they rotoscoped any naught bits. He could've worn something underneath so it wouldn't get too awkward and no one would notice. All they would have to do is make it skin colored.

Although, for the sake of art, I would've had him stripped.

Yeah... "art".

Mr.Jeff

I can't really contribute much to this discussion but I always found it really interesting the way the eyes always appeared to be the most significant focus of the faces in Noein. I really that sounds like a rather redundant statement to make but stil....

Garagantia - 04
Boring! I knew it was coming but didn't enjoy much of this episode at all aside from how it looks. It just felt slightly overly heavily handed with the idea of
"Hey? It's kinda funny how you don't act more human? Are you sure the space army aren't a bunch of DICKS?!". I'm interested to see how Ledo changed from the brief flashback to how he is currently though; whether through drugs or just through repressed memories.
I don't really know where it's meant to be going either. Continue on with the planet based stuff? Bring in the space army? Bring in the space army and the insects? Surely they have to reappear at some point otherwise what the hell was the point of the first episode?

Pre-post Edit: Actually looking back, it wasn't entirely boring and I can see the purpose of the episode but I'd rather it didn't continue on down the route of "slice-of-life-teaching-Ledo-how-to-be-a-team-player".

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Didn't Britain decide to relocate their central government to America (Britannia), and the European Union was formed later to give the collective nations more power as a group?
Wait, am I reading this right, in Code Geass Britain takes over the whole of the Americas. Sure Pizza Hunt may be sick with a crust (someone said something about this "food" substance being an important part of the show), but I can forgive that if the concept is Britain being a super power.

Haly

They only hire cute/handsome models for their seyuus, don't they? I feel bad for someone in Japan who isn't that beatiful.

Not always, a lot of seiyuus are homely compared to idols.

Being attractive certainly helps, just like in every industry ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom