• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any discussion of the film Colorful in this (or any other AnimeGAF) thread at all? Was thinking about pre-ordering the blu-ray based on a description of the plot, was wondering if anyone had thoughts. Worth a buy?

Colorful is a masterpiece. I don't have time to go in depth right now, but it's got excellent direction, sensitive character writing and beautiful art. I'd highly encourage buying it.

Thoraxes

Nisemonogatari 7

Talk about over the top just for a simple chat with your sister.

More character development and quite possibly the weirdest structure of a conversation I've seen.

And then two naked sisters in bed. Oh my.

They certainly show a lot in this.
So close.

Soooooo clooooooooooseeeee.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ugliest Nendo of all time!

vyjys6m.jpg

Tenumi

Banned
Whenever I hear Colorful, I think of this one instead. I have a friend who loves that and Oruchuban Ebichu. I have weird friends.

Speaking of friends, I had one ask me where in the continuity Railgun S takes place, and I can't figure it out. Is it mid-Index 1, before Index 1, etc?

Dresden

Has there been any discussion of the film Colorful in this (or any other AnimeGAF) thread at all? Was thinking about pre-ordering the blu-ray based on a description of the plot, was wondering if anyone had thoughts. Worth a buy?

It's good--great art and direction, and with tight writing that suffers somewhat from the gimmickiness of the premise and its resolution.

Kurita

Sennyu Tantei Tokage 1-2
Tokage and his assistant help the First Investigation Division of the Metropolitan Police Department with difficult and unresolved cases. He used to be a normal police detective working at the First Investigation Division, but one day he lost his partner because of a grave mistake. After this incident he quit his job and got hired by a private detective bureau that helps the police with secret undercover investigations.

So... the two episodes I saw were entertaining. Tokage is a pretty cool character, it'll be fun to see him and his assistant impersonating people.
Matsuda Shota (Tokage) is, as usual, not really expressive but it fits his character.
The show looks pretty bad though, even by Japanese dramas standards :lol
Tokage's fall from the roof was cringeworthy, it looked sooooooo terrible :lol
Still, I'm liking it so far!

Oh and there's Renbutsu Misako who is ridiculously cute
XlT36fM.jpg

Colorful is a masterpiece. I don't have time to go in depth right now, but it's got excellent direction, sensitive character writing and beautiful art. I'd highly encourage buying it.
Thanks, no elaboration necessary. Saw your post in the Attack on Titan thread where you called out a ton of anime I enjoy, so you're A-OK in my book. Thanks for the reply; pre-ordered.

Jex

Buy it. I'm sorry that's not a very compelling argument, but it's a great movie. If you use Neogaf search you could probably find reviews of it - except that colorful is, of course, a widely used word. Stupid movie names.

I found it boring as hell, but it's pretty well-done.

Jex

Depends on what you're complaining about. Some stuff can be argued if you don't finish such as shit art, direction, and pacing. However sometimes to complain about the actual narrative, you have to finish the work.

I don't think that you'd agree if you followed that line of argument to it's natural conclusion. For example, what if 'actual narrative' lasts a hundred episodes? You can complain about the structure, characters, pacing and so forth without 'completing' the narrative.

Hidasketch 2

Ah, now here's the theming and colorful quick cuts I crave from Shaft. Could the game of life be better integrated in a more directly relevant series of events? sure but at least it keeps things interesting and serves as a better way to show the time than a plain old clock. Speaking of time...

And in response to the bolded, you should probably know that the first two seasons of the show are asynchronous. It'll jump back and forth between months (and in the second season, years) pretty much at random. They tone this down in the third season, and get rid of it completely by the fourth. It can be a bit confusing at first, but you'll get used to it eventually.

I have zero problems with this, in fact it's one of my favorite things about the Melancholy of Haruhi. I don't expect it to be used to regulate pacing here but it could be used in an interesting way in Hidasketch. In fact the first time jump being used to go backwards was a bit of a surprise but a logical follow up to explain the nameplates.

I liked the theme of haunted rooms and curses which although clashed with the game of life stuff helped tie together what could've been completely random SoL. The focus on dialogue and Shaft's general style really make this feel like a non-lewd cheery bakemongatari-lite. All that dialogue definitely is bringing out more of the characters but still...
VXYw2ZY.jpg
QrJuF5m.jpg

Never before has inhaling paint fumes been so cute!

Miyako takes the lead, I can safely bet she'll end up as one of my favorites here. Hiro definitely played a good foil for her though and detective Sae makes a good runner up.

X9BCHdB.jpg
3DtyDJN.jpg

SZS style of cheaply making patterned clothes is finally put to good use!

So evidently I'm liking this so far, unfortunately I have to take care of a few things today so I can't watch more until later tonight. Hopefully all the screen cap spam hasn't been too bothersome, I just like the way this show looks!

Jex

I imagine if you've read the blurb for the film, and are still interested in it, then it's probably going to be the kind of film you'd like. At least, if the blurb hints that it's going to be slow and introspective.

Cardcaptor Sakura 6

I was expecting an episode in regards to the mother at some point, so I'm glad I got something. I sort of felt at odds in regards to how Sakura was fine without her mother, I expected some sadness at least, but this episode has delivered on that front. uweeeeh

It's good--great art and direction, and with tight writing that suffers somewhat from the gimmickiness of the premise and its resolution.

Buy it. I'm sorry that's not a very compelling argument, but it's a great movie. If you use Neogaf search you could probably find reviews of it - except that colorful is, of course, a widely used word. Stupid movie names.
Thanks guys! Yeah, definite hassle to search for and it doesn't help that it shares the same name as those shorts from that old variety show. Which were actually kind of fun-ish.

I kinda dig the slower-paced introspective stuff, so I hope it's for me. Still, appreciate the response.

EDIT: Whoa, Jexhius... Weird that we both used slow and introspective independently of each other, but I guess my inkling was accurate.

Jex

[Cardcaptor Sakura] 17 - 21

Madhouse really blew all their animation budget early on, didn't they? I mean, the first few episodes looked really astounding, but occasionally we're getting Toei level animation recycling here. I don't think this really hurts the show too badly considering how charming the work is, but it's definitely disappointing to see the sakuga-content drop precipitously.

Anyone watching Mushibugyo? Is it worth starting?

Mushibugyo is pretty fun, probably one of the most underrated anime this season. If you dont mind awkwardly placed and timed random one seconds worth of moments of ecchi...then its worth it. Hilarious and dedicated main character and epic action among all the cast.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think that you'd agree if you followed that line of argument to it's natural conclusion. For example, what if 'actual narrative' lasts a hundred episodes? You can complain about the structure, characters, pacing and so forth without 'completing' the narrative.

Well it depends doesn't it? The structure can be a valid complaint if the order of events is somewhat screwed up by unnecessary or overly long flashbacks that interrupt the flow. As for characters, that's highly situational. A character may appear flat until a critical point later in the series where there is a dynamic change. I can think of a few series where the main character comes into their own at the very end and the audience can fully appreciate how the character has changed. It's also situational in regards to how big or important the actual narrative is.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Dropping a show less than 3 episodes in is no big deal. But, once I'm past than I'm in it for the long haul, for better or worse.

I've actually dropped shows that I've almost completed. I think the most extreme example of this was me dropping Xam'd at episode 22 or 23; I just couldn't handle three or four more episodes worth of crushing disappointment and confusion. I think I also bailed on Yumekui Merry with three episodes left when I was warned about the ending. Not worth it :lol

Tenumi

Banned
I dropped Gunslinger Girls with 5 episodes to go. It just got so boring to watch that I couldn't care enough to finish it.

Jex

I've actually dropped shows that I've almost completed. I think the most extreme example of this was me dropping Xam'd at episode 22 or 23; I just couldn't handle three or four more episodes worth of crushing disappointment and confusion. I think I also bailed on Yumekui Merry with three episodes left when I was warned about the ending. Not worth it :lol

You made the right decision! It's healthy to drop things, regardless of how far along you are in the story.

I'm not sure why I dropped Highschool of the Dead at episode 11. Over the last couple of years I'm sure I've watched worse dumb fanservice shows. It must have been because I didn't know who Miyuki Sawashiro was.

Man.

I admire your dedication to something you don't enjoy, at least.

You sure keep on pushing ahead with these shows you don't like!

I don't drop animes, I always see them til the last episode. The feeling that I haven't finished what I have started would nag me more than boring myself watching Toradora lol.

Yeah its not a good show at all. The angst in the show gets completely unbearable in the second half. I would have dropped it if Ami wasn't in it.

Ami is the only character I like, she's selfish but eventually becomes mature. Whereas Taiga is irritating every single episode. Whats up with the cliche type of a negative, clumsy girl who is shorter than girls from her age and in need of protection. Kushieda is the exact opposite: cheerful, positive. A know it all type and thats exactly why I can't stand her. Kushieda always acts like she knows whats best for everyone. Her cheerfulnes nor Taigas clumsiness don't make them funny or sympathetic.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think I'm the only person other than DTL who watched all 366 episodes of Bleach. To this day, I don't know why I did it.

That reminds me of how I dropped Naruto Shippuden after... 10 episodes because the pacing was a load of shit.

Dropped One Piece when I ran out of Dubbed episodes (so I switched to the manga).

Dropped Bleach after soul society and Naruto after the hokage/orochimaru fight. May go back one day but feels good to not feel obligated.

I dropped the Bleach manga after reading around 300 chapters of it. I definitely don't have any qualms about dropping something even if I've invested a ton of time into it. Sometimes, it really just isn't worth it to continue.

ZetaEpyon

I think I'm the only person other than DTL who watched all 366 episodes of Bleach. To this day, I don't know why I did it.

I watched all of it, and I've watched all of Naruto including fillers. Bleach is a lot rougher on the amount of filler, but some of those Naruto ones are just godawful.

To be fair, these shows are pretty much in my "watch while also doing something else" category, since I've read the manga.

Necrovex

I dont consider myself insane. The arcs are really good, Bikochu Beetle, Star arc, various Naruto with Kiba episodes.

There is only one filler arc that I enjoyed from Naruto, and that triggered the beginning of filler hell for the first Naruto series.
The Hinata and Naruto going after Sasuke's scent.
But I only liked that filler arc because I really like Hinata.

That reminds me of how I dropped Naruto Shippuden after... 10 episodes because the pacing was a load of shit.

Dropped One Piece when I ran out of Dubbed episodes (so I switched to the manga).

The first arc in Shippuden is really bad. It's the worst part of the show, excluding the filler crap.

There are insane people who have watched all of the Naruto filler. Think about that.

Well if they watched it weekly as it was airing, it's not exactly that amazing. Probably shows commitment at the very least.

Now if they marathoned it, that's a different story.

Jex

So you're in rehab now, right? That's a lot of Bleach! Still, I've watched lots of stuff that I don't consider to be that good in my time, just never quite to that extent.

I've watched all of Oh my Goddess and all of Blood+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom