• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lost track, but I feel like I watched most of the filler in Naruto because my sense of taste wasn't fully developed. That and the concept of some of them felt like it was worth a watch.

I've watched all of Oh my Godess and all of Blood+.

Besides sticking to the manga a little too closely and really never going anywhere, OMG! wasn't that bad. The characters were appealing and the show as a whole was much more interesting than ZeXal or Phi Brain. It was better than Shana too.

Kurita

I've been wondering... Are there shounen animes that are not adaptations?

Harukaze (SCANDAL)
Shojo S (SCANDAL)
D-Technolife (UVERworld)
Ranbu no Melody (SID)
Re:pray (Aimer)
Hanabi (Ikimono-Gakari)
Last Moment (SPYAIR)

Are all so good.

Asterisk by ORANGE RANGE
TONIGHT, TONIGHT, TONIGHT by the Beat Crusaders
Rolling Star by YUI
Change by miwa

Great stuff yeah

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sennyu Tantei Tokage 1-2

So... the two episodes I saw were entertaining. Tokage is a pretty cool character, it'll be fun to see him and his assistant impersonating people.
Matsuda Shota (Tokage) is, as usual, not really expressive but it fits his character.
The show looks pretty bad though, even by Japanese dramas standards :lol
Tokage's fall from the roof was cringeworthy, it looked sooooooo terrible :lol
Still, I'm liking it so far!

Oh and there's Renbutsu Misako who is ridiculously cute
http://i.imgur.com/XlT36fM.jpg

Huh, I guess Japan really has jumped onto the crime procedural bandwagon. Although, in America, I can believe that dozens of people get murdered each week for the sake of television... that can't be the case in Japan, can it? lol

duckroll

I'm not sure what you mean. Shounen isn't a genre, it's a demographic. Shounen manga are manga which are serialized in Shounen magazines - ie: magazines specifically targeting young boys as an audience, usually indicated by the name of the magazine (Shounen Jump, Shounen Sunday, Shounen Magazine, etc).

There are certainly anime which aren't adaptations which are meant to appeal to that audience, but I don't think people generally refer to them as "shounen" due to the connotations involved with the term.

Kurita

Huh, I guess Japan really has jumped onto the crime procedural bandwagon. Although, in America, I can believe that dozens of people get murdered each week for the sake of television... that can't be the case in Japan, can it? lol

Even a dog was murdered in the latest Galileo...

I'm not sure what you mean. Shounen isn't a genre, it's a demographic. Shounen manga are manga which are serialized in Shounen magazines - ie: magazines specifically targeting young boys as an audience, usually indicated by the name of the magazine (Shounen Jump, Shounen Sunday, Shounen Magazine, etc).

There are certainly anime which aren't adaptations which are meant to appeal to that audience, but I don't think people generally refer to them as "shounen" due to the connotations involved with the term.

I know I know! It's just that I don't know if original animes have the same... categories? Like you said, people don't refer to them as shounen/shoujo.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So you're in rehab now, right?

Actually, it only served to increase my resistance to even worse programming. I don't think that I could have made it through Max Heart without years of training beforehand.

I watched all of it, and I've watched all of Naruto including fillers. Bleach is a lot rougher on the amount of filler, but some of those Naruto ones are just godawful.

To be fair, these shows are pretty much in my "watch while also doing something else" category, since I've read the manga.

Since you'll know this, did Naruto suddenly switch to filler from canon material and simply continue to be nothing but filler until Shippuuden? At least with Bleach, the series alternated between filler and canon arcs, but I was always under the impression that there was simply an episode number in Naruto that one is supposed to stop watching after.

There's certainly original anime aimed at the same audience as shounen manga. You've got your shows that are linked with toy franchises but aren't direct adaptations of anything, like Gyrozetter and Battle Spirits, and you've got some original anime IPs too, like Phi Brain.

But yeah, as duckroll said, the classification isn't so rigid when the work isn't being published in a magazine with the shounen label on it.

Actually, it only served to increase my resistance to even worse programming. I don't think that I could have made it through Max Heart without years of training beforehand.

Since you'll know this, did Naruto suddenly switch to filler from canon material and simply continue to be nothing but filler until Shippuuden? At least with Bleach, the series alternated between filler and canon arcs, but I was always under the impression that there was simply an episode number in Naruto that one is supposed to stop watching after.

Naruto was filler until the end. 136 - 220, then 221 is Shippuden (part 2) (reset ep number to 1).

duckroll

I know I know! It's just that I don't know if original animes have the same... categories?

But they're bad categories to begin with! It's not very useful considering how diverse the genres are regardless of demographic, and sometimes certain themes can appeal to multiple demographics, so narrowing it down to the magazine demographic it just happens to run in can be deceptive. :p

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Never watched Bleach but it had great OP and ED so that's something I guess :lol

Damned straight. Part of the reason why I never did a "favorite OP" list when everyone else was doing them was because there would be a really high concentration of Bleach and everyone would think I was crazy. But seriously; Asterisk, Ichirin no Hana, Tonight Tonight Tonight, Rolling Star, Alones, After Dark, Veronica, Shoujo S...all fucking golden, man.

Inuyasha had some great ED themes!

I especially loved Shinjitsu no Uta as a teenager, although they're all good.

Is Scryed one?

Scryed has a manga, but I think it's adapted from the anime. It's much more violent and risque.

Kurita

Damned straight. Part of the reason why I never did a "favorite OP" list when everyone else was doing them was because there would be a really high concentration of Bleach and everyone would think I was crazy. But seriously; Asterisk, Ichirin no Hana, Tonight Tonight Tonight, Rolling Star, Alones, After Dark, Veronica, Shoujo S...all fucking golden, man.

Oh yeah I forgot Asian Kung-Fu Generation did an opening. Pretty dope song.

duckroll

Why can't we just call it action cartoons? That's clearly what people mean with "shounen", anyway.

Yeah I agree. There are two general genres which people usually think of when they say "shounen" - and that's either action or sports.

Theonik

I dropped Rurouni Kenshin after episode 62
because filler
The hell are you talking about?
ibfVFCsnGT2hmB.gif

Mature

I dropped Gunslinger Girls with 5 episodes to go. It just got so boring to watch that I couldn't care enough to finish it.
Oh? This has been on my to watch list for awhile.

You made the right decision! It's healthy to drop things, regardless of how far along you are in the story.
Seconded. I dropped SAO really late into it. I was past the point of #hatewatch and just getting in a really bad mood every time I watched it. Great decision.

The hell are you talking about?
ibfVFCsnGT2hmB.gif
Whoa. Magic.

kpjolee

Shounen means nothing more than male kids and teenagers in general so shounen anime is just anything targeted for those demographics.

kpjolee

People say that, but the term has evolved to describe a very specific type of sub-genre within the medium.

Like anything that came out of shounen jump? Or describing something like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, and Fairy Tale?
The term itself is too general to describe something sub-genre.

People say that, but the term has evolved to describe a very specific type of sub-genre within the medium.

I thin if someone wants to really describe a sub genre, they should at least say a battle/action/adventure shounen, or sports shonen. Just saying shounen probably runs into issues when nontraditional and unconventional series are involved.

Steroyd

Like anything that came out of shounen jump? Or describing something like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, and Fairy Tale?
The term itself is too general to describe something sub-genre.

Pretty much the One Piece, Naruto etc etc.

Normally when something is described as "shounen" it usually involves either power levels or haxxor (see sports).

I thin if someone wants to really describe a sub genre, they should at least say a battle/action/adventure shounen, or sports shonen. Just saying shounen probably runs into issues when nontraditional and unconventional series are involved.

Unconventional shounen series like HxH and JoJo are very very few and far between, even then they're just called unconventional to get the point across anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom