• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nana 34

Red Nana, what a despicable person

nanae3117.57ovu80.png

nanae349.14uhu6x.png

nanae3405.0066ut7.png

So she's pregnant, but she refuses to talk to anyone about it, even her boyfriend. She let Takumi do the explaining and agrees with the decisions and path layed out by him, even glady agrees to them. She just moves out of the flat like its nothing.

Conan-san

Zagtoon is the one in charge and paying for everything; I don't think Toei would have had much if any say in the change. Besides, it seems like the whole Ladybug project has gotten a major overhaul; originally there was going to be a CG film with the art style currently seen on the site, but now the film will be live action.
Oh well, gee, given Toei's screwing around it sort of looks like they're going hell for leather on the decisions surgically designed to piss everyone off course of action.

duckroll

Zagtoon is the one in charge and paying for everything; I don't think Toei would have had much if any say in the change. Besides, it seems like the whole Ladybug project has gotten a major overhaul; originally there was going to be a CG film with the art style currently seen on the site, but now the film will be live action.

Toei could still have had an influence on the change if they were the ones who backed out of the deal, forcing Zagtoon to look for alternatives though. It seems this project has been pretty volatile in general, so who knows what the story is behind the scenes... >_<

Toei could still have had an influence on the change if they were the ones who backed out of the deal, forcing Zagtoon to look for alternatives though. It seems this project has been pretty volatile in general, so who knows what the story is behind the scenes... >_<

Toei is still listed as one of the partners on the site though.

Nafe

Tale of a Street Corner (Aru Machi no Monogatari)

3159.jpg

So Classy.

This is an animated piece that's just under 40 minutes long by Osamu Tezuka originally released in 1962. I'm honestly not all that familiar with works that Mr. Tezuka has been involved with or know all that much about older, perhaps more historical, pieces of anime.

With that in mind, the visual style wasn't very reminiscent of what I usually associate with a Japanese animated work but more along the lines of something out of a Western work such as Bugs Bunny and Tweety Bird or The Roadrunner. There's no dialogue present in this movie. There's some on screen text to quickly introduce the characters who are a little child with a Teddy Bear, some mice, a mischievous bug and some more inanimate objects such as an old street lamp and a bunch of posters and fliers along a street or alley way to name most. It's actually kind of funny as the main "characters" in this film seem to be mostly these said fliers or posters.

It's mostly the music and facial expressions conveyed through the film which tell you the mood and emotions. There's not much story and what's there seems to be more through symbolism and metaphors. It seems to focus on emotions instead. Speaking of emotions, it's actually kind of interesting how emotionally attached you can get to these characters even if they can't speak or even move, such as the old street lamp or a couple of the posters, that being the male violinist and the female pianist and their story. Even when the two of them are playing their music to help the old lamp try and light up you have a sense of cheering them on.

I quite liked the music in the film and it got kind of interesting to see how the posters would react as they all did there own little thing. Such as seeing a face made out of pasta eating some pasta and then eating itself just to name one. Naturally some were more more interesting than others. The little soundbite used for the dancers mocking laugh at one point actually kind of reminded me of the laugh used in the Umineko sound novels.

tales-of-the-street-corner.jpg

I liked the male violinist and just kind of found it amusing to see that his hand position looked kind of like the devil horn sign you'd see some head banging rock and roller do but he's a classy gentleman playing the violin, haha.

The story took a bit of a turn I wasn't expecting though. Spoilers for the latter half of the film follow.
The more militaristic flier I originally thought was just there to present a change in musical style or at least a dynamic contrast switching between the lighthearted lovers and the more bombastic dictator but when the fliers preceded to be torn down and replaced along with bombs dropping things certainly took a dark turn. When a bomb drops and you can't see the female pianist I found myself thinking "I can't see her. Is she okay?" It had a bit of a bitter-sweetness to it as the two were finally able to get close together but burned up in the process. Despite the somber mood I quite liked the visuals there and they will stick with me. When the seeds were first trying to be planted I figured that would be their outcome once the bombs started dropping and again, despite the somber mood, it was kind of nice that the old lamp was still there, leaning over the seedlings as if looking over them.

---

Thanks to BlackGoku03 for originally bringing this up and /XX/ for figuring out and mentioning this film. It was an interesting piece and I liked it enough to take a look at more of Mr. Tezuka's experimental films.

LuffyZoro

Those are its best moments. Phi Brain is worth checking out. (Tsuritama and Kimi to Boku too)

Alright, I'll check 'em out.

Sup luffy

Hey NarNar.

Then you'll love the fuck out of the Greed Island arc. That is, if you haven't already seen it.

My favorite one.

I wish I could help, but I'm not really well versed in the world of shouen. I'd be able to help with general anime recommendations, if you could list your requirements.

Basically what I want is what cosmicblizzard says below.

So you just want training arcs and friendship?

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi.

Yeah, pretty much. I'll check that out.

Perhaps the most obvious, and likely already seen, but Dragonball (not Z).

I watched part of it years ago but stopped for some reason. I'll be sure to give it another try.

Tale of a Street Corner (Aru Machi no Monogatari)

Thanks for your impressions; I'll be sure to check this out.

I liked the male violinist and just kind of found it amusing to see that his hand position looked kind of like the devil horn sign you'd see some head banging rock and roller do but he's a classy gentleman playing the violin, haha.

It's stylized of course, but that looks like a standard hand position for violinists.

Is Nana worth watching? I've heard about it for years, but I don't know anything about it besides the name and it's about sisters.

Not if you're a male. I started watching this thinking the subject is music but I was deceived. Its relationship dramas told through female point of view so its difficult to relate to their problems. You'll feel even less sympathy as the protagonist is slutty and unfaitfhul and falls for every boy she meets.

Sisterconogatari 8

Thanks for reminding me of my main goal right now.

Anyway...

She's that serious in wanting to see Kanbaru. Now Araragi rejects that... but then he pulls this stunt...

Erotic toothbrushing BECAME A THING! BETWEEN SIBLINGS! HEY REMEMBER THE SYMBOLOGY THAT IS NESTLED INTO THE SERIES!?

I... I can't grasp his intentions with Hachikuji anymore. He's over the place. Even with his sister, who wants to clearly smang him after helping her. I think it's time to dart out. Holy shit. I recalled this scene, but it's even more stimulating and disturbing in the entire context of this series. Welp, time to run out like that Toei Budget.

7N0svkO.gif

Kurita

Not if you're a male. I started watching this thinking the subject is music but I was deceived. Its relationship dramas told through female point of view so its difficult to relate to their problems. You'll feel even less sympathy as the protagonist is slutty and unfaitfhul and falls for every boy she meets.

I know guys who love Nana!
If you want a good series about music, watch Nodame Cantabile.
Don't know how many chapters the anime cover though but if it's as good as the source material...

First they came for the Crowds, and I said nothing.
Then they came for the Mechs, and I said nothing.
Then they came for the Idols, and I said nothing.
Then they came for the Mahou Shoujous, and there was no one left to speak.

Conan-san

Crowds?

I said things about the other 2 (Idols I could care less)

wonzo

Banned
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but remember that awesome Miraculous/Ladybug trailer I shared in here a while back? The one that was going to be made into a 26 episode 2D animated TV series made by Toei for the French company Zagtoon?

Well, Zagtoon has now taken that off their site and replaced it with a 52 episode full CGI TV series.

Alas.
tearsofultimatesadness.gif

fuck

I know guys who love Nana!
If you want a good series about music, watch Nodame Cantabile.
Don't know how many chapters the anime cover though but if it's as good as the source material...

I've seen Nodame, its better than Nana, I liked Paris chapter but overal I thought the anime was just okay. I'm gonna see Beck next.

Sakamichi no Apollon (kids on the slope) combined drama, romance and music the best.

Nafe

I've never heard of this, but the art looks interesting.

Some of the art style is like in the couple pictures there but other parts look like you're watching something like one of the western cartoons I mentioned. I didn't want my impressions to get too long winded but there's more to the film as well such as a particular mouse trying to befriend the child's Teddy Bear.

Thanks for your impressions; I'll be sure to check this out.

Sure. It does seem like the type of movie I think you might enjoy.

It's stylized of course, but that looks like a standard hand position for violinists.

Haha, yeah. His hand there pretty much remains static and as I was watching that thought just came to mind and gave me a little chuckle.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but remember that awesome Miraculous/Ladybug trailer I shared in here a while back? The one that was going to be made into a 26 episode 2D animated TV series made by Toei for the French company Zagtoon?

Well, Zagtoon has now taken that off their site and replaced it with a 52 episode full CGI TV series.

Alas.

They must have really liked Toei's work on those CG pigeons!

Jarmel

Banned

You should have spoken up about the mechs. Now from the wastelands I can laugh at you.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I... I can't grasp his intentions with Hachikuji anymore. He's over the place. Even with his sister, who wants to clearly smang him after helping her. I think it's time to dart out. Holy shit. I recalled this scene, but it's even more stimulating and disturbing in the entire context of this series. Welp, time to run out like that Toei Budget.

http://i.imgur.com/7N0svkO.gif

lol, somebody was lurking the thread during my Max Heart suffer-a-thon.

Precure has been hinting at this future for years now. Toei's plan cannot be stopped.

They've been fully prepared to implement this for years, man.

fpcm-16dre5.gif

The only thing holding them back is their pridpffffffffhaahahahhawhoamikidding

Is Nana worth watching? I've heard about it for years, but I don't know anything about it besides the name and it's about sisters.

Yes, Nana is worth watching. It's one of the best anime of all time, in my view. Fair warning, it's a very intense show as far as the drama goes, and it doesn't pull any punches.

It's not about sisters, though. It's about two different women both named Nana.

Plus, it has one of the best openings of all time

Conan-san

Yeah, let's just hope that it doesn't happen. Save us all the trouble.

The anime industry is in enough shit as is. Let it ruin one style of animation fully before going onto the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom