• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sound! Euphonium 1-3
Wow this is much much better then I expected considering Kyoani's recent efforts, gonna follow this one for sure.

Sound Euphonium 3

Teacher laying down some truth bombs there. And some if the lazier students had the audacity to whine and complain about their practicing (or as we saw for the horns, their lack of practicing). This was a great scene to see and a necessary thing the teacher needed to do. A little tough love. In school band we had moments like these and the teachers would call out sections and even individuals and question their dedication or truthfulness about practicing. It needs to be done to toughen everyone and get them to play as a single unit. As a conductor should do. Now it's time to see if everyone will actually do something about it.

Side note: I want to see these guys play The Tempest. I always found that piece super fun to play.

You know, I really enjoy the character but I don't sympathize with his actions quite as much as you and many others seem to do.

Saying the harsh truth has its advantageous, but this environment also doesn't happen to be some military camp but a school, one that doesn't even have a major focus point on music iirc. As such, there are many students at different skill levels at this music club, some of them new members.

So how about he does a proper introduction, explains his philosophy and approaches in a bit more detail and offer at least some advice and help? Telling his students that they currently suck, while true, doesn't provide any means of improvement other than hoping that they'll want to show him now.

I'd actually expect his didactic methods to be a major point in his development as a character, but we shall see.

Link Man

Banned
You know, I really enjoy the character but I don't sympathize with his actions quite as much as you and many others seem to do.

Saying the harsh truth has its advantageous, but this environment also doesn't happen to be some military camp but a school, one that doesn't even have a major focus point on music iirc. As such, there are many students at different skill levels at this music club, some of them new members.

So how about he does a proper introduction, explains his philosophy and approaches in a bit more detail and offer at least some advice and help? Telling his students that they currently suck, while true, doesn't provide any means of improvement other than hoping that they'll want to show him now.

I'd actually expect his didactic methods to be a major point in his development as a character, but we shall see.

Well, he did give them the choice of having fun or working towards nationals, with nearly everyone voting for nationals. Seems like a reasonable approach in that circumstance.

Cornbread78

Infinite Stratos ep.1-5:
28840.jpg

OK, so 1 episode I'm watching a pretty cool mech battle, then the very next episode I'm watching chicks in lingerie.... very interesting. I'm sure there will be plot or some character developement revealed at some point, right? Well, at least the class pres is fun... btw, another wuss MC that cannot control the ladies, but I guess they are all going to appear that way after seeing Godou in action..

Arcadius

Banned
Hey... so I'm wondering. Is it okay if I write a review down that goes on an episode basis? Example, watching a 24 episode anime, writing thoughts down to each episode, or many of them, and then posting that as a review? It's like a live blog (without being live) of how I look at each episode and react to it? Just asking 'cause it's a wall of text sort of. Obviously this is what most people do for anime that's being run currently, difference is all my thoughts would be in one post.

Hey... so I'm wondering. Is it okay if I write a review down that goes on an episode basis? Example, watching a 24 episode anime, writing thoughts down to each episode, or many of them, and then posting that as a review? It's like a live blog (without being live) of how I look at each episode and react to it? Just asking 'cause it's a wall of text sort of. Obviously this is what most people do for anime that's being run currently, difference is all my thoughts would be in one post.

Don't live blog (like posting random thoughts you had mid episode in a thread) but if you post a review of every episode or an entire series then that's what a lot of people do.

I wouldn't live blog, organize your thoughts and write a review for however many episodes you have something to say about.

Infinite Stratos ep.1-5:
28840.jpg

OK, so 1 episode I'm watching a pretty cool mech battle, then the very next episode I'm watching chicks in lingerie.... very interesting. I'm sure there will be plot or some character developement revealed at some point, right? Well, at least the class pres is fun... btw, another wuss MC that cannot control the ladies, but I guess they are all going to appear that way after seeing Godou in action..

LOL

Not a spoiler and you should have your doubts already but all the appeal of IS is the girls , everything else is "meh" at best

So don't get your hopes up.

Cornbread78

LOL

Not a spoiler and you should have your doubts already but all the appeal of IS is the girls , everything else is "meh" at best

So don't get your hopes up.

All righty then..

I've been at an impasse all day on what to watch next... I watched the First Episode of My Little Monster and it looked entertaining enough, btu if it was another romantic comedy with an ending like ToraDora, I might have to break things on my desk... I might have to move onto Kyousougiga or even give the My Romantic Comedy SNAFU a shot....

Or I might just actually play SAO on my VITA that misses me dearly...

Narag

Infinite Stratos ep.1-5:
28840.jpg

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MOFVuSK7bvw

Walkure Romanze 04

Hey, they fixed the name of the cafe.

Takahiro shows off his skills and Mio decides to continue jousting, so no surprises there. Oh, and if they really wanted to hide who the black knight was, maybe they should have hidden the hair as well :p

Well, he did give them the choice of having fun or working towards nationals, with nearly everyone voting for nationals. Seems like a reasonable approach in that circumstance.

Yeah, given that pretty much everyone chose going to the nationals, even with him telling them that practice would be harder, his reaction is pretty justified.

I think the way he did it was pretty unfair though. Asking the whole class at once puts pressure on the students to say yes so they don't look like the ones letting everybody else down because they're unambitious. Plus a lot of the students were new and probably had no idea what getting to nationals actually entailed.

Reknoc

It should be noted that I encountered this problem in the Gaming side as well when I was posting about Tokyo Xanadu.

A lot of sentiment, from places other than GAF too, is 'why the fuck is Falcom making high school stuff now?! Where is my old 80s-90s fantasy anime style, fucking sellouts,' et cetera.

Falcom was never a company that particularly chose that as the 'flagship style' of their games. Falcom always made games that reflected the current popular anime style and culture in their games - in the 90s, they made plenty of games in this style:

and now they make games like this,

(let's not even mention that there was only ever one school-themed Falcom game before Tokyo Xanadu was announced, the first Sen no Kiseki, and they graduated before the sequel)

not because they 'sold out', but because a lot of what they make reflects the anime style of the time. Fans of the older games are given the impression that Falcom 'left behind what made it so great', even though the games are just as good mechanically as they've always been, even better in some cases, when really it's just that they're stuck in the 80s/90s and want Falcom to remain stuck in the past with them.

Yea, I've always found Falcom to be pretty generic in terms of character art. Probably the only thing I've never really liked about them. Well at least until Ys Seven, when they gave me something else to not like.

Walkure Romanze 05

That's good to know...

So there's tea time here as well and one of the characters is rich, and they just find out when they go over to her house castle.

The little sister is in a wheelchair and the father seems to hate jousting so maybe there were some kind of horse related accident or something as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
that's just wrong, why make that crap for a show like shirobako? :\
Otaku are fan of the show, so how else do you exploit money from otaku? lol
I'm sure the figmas are already out in full force anyway.

Infinite Stratos ep.1-5:
28840.jpg

This show only makes sense if you see it as satire. I think it's the only time where I would say that the English dub of the show is *perhaps* the better version, since it helps tips it over the edge into something magical.

I think the way he did it was pretty unfair though. Asking the whole class at once puts pressure on the students to say yes so they don't look like the ones letting everybody else down because they're unambitious. Plus a lot of the students were new and probably had no idea what getting to nationals actually entailed.

Then they'd better learn quick, and nothing is better to accomplish that than a stern wake-up call from your teacher.

OceanBlue

Yeah, given that pretty much everyone chose going to the nationals, even with him telling them that practice would be harder, his reaction is pretty justified.
I think what was more problematic than them being bad was that he said to let him know when they were ready but it pretty apparent that they didn't really practice or were ready at all when they came to him. I'm no musician but the trombone performance sounded horribly off tempo, and to me that's indicative of a lack of practice. I'm sure people who've actually done music could weigh in better on this than I can.

You can't help people who don't want to help themselves, as the saying goes.

Walkure Romanze 06

Shouldn't the cat mouth be on the other end...

Takahiro spends all day eating and everybody wants him to be their begleiter. And then people gets attacked by the deadliest animals. Squirrels.

I think what was more problematic than them being bad was that he said to let him know when they were ready but it pretty apparent that they didn't really practice or were ready at all when they came to him. I'm no musician but the trombone performance sounded horribly off tempo, and to me that's indicative of a lack of practice. I'm sure people who've actually done music could weigh in better on this than I can.

The ensemble performance was really off-key in every areas just as Taki said. The Freshman Wind Ensemble from the school of music enlisted to perform the music did a wonderful job at playing so off-beat and out-of-sync on the song.

The direction to have so many quick cuts, including the clarinet player doing the cutesy "oops" really helped signal that aspect alongside Kumiko's bashfulness of their performance.

Kikirin

Pretty much this. From what I can remember it's not only that they were off-tempo, they weren't even together within their own section.

I can see the intention of the performance to be as a pre-test of sorts to gauge where the band is at in terms of skill level, diligence, unity, etc. The band would want to put their best foot forward in order for an accurate assessment of the group to be made and an appropriately difficult contest piece to be selected. Being unable to play a basic piece well isn't a good look any way you look at it.

It'd probably be somewhat akin to trying to pitch a story for publishing without proofreading or revising it at all.

cajunator

Banned
Infinite Stratos ep.1-5:
28840.jpg

Charles = Laura > everyone else is all you need to know really.
Then in season 2, Tatenashi arrives and equals the best two.
I bought enormous figurines of all three, but unfortunately they might be a bit too risque for this thread.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ore Monogatari!! Episode 3

I really wanted to like this show, I really did and some of the ideas present are sweet on paper but any sort of natural romantic progression is being tossed aside for one of the worst love triangles I have ever witnessed. I guess I am supposed to find Takeo's motivations into stoicism to be magnanimous but they are not they are pretty damned selfish and hurtful and this episode actually showed. Basically this show is being dropped harder then a random high school crush.

Arcadius

Banned
Kanon (2006)

It’s really hard for me to put words down to this show. It’s more difficult than it should be, but that’s an issue of mine.

I guess we can start with the aesthetics of Konan. I love the art-style. I love how the eyes look like they’re painted on the faces, I love the way the art is rendered/drawn, I love the minor details that are shown. The girls are all cute, the setting is pretty. The colors used are in a more realistic sense, nothing ever seemed to be vibrant in anime only ways, which I feel suits Kanon really well.

We can start with the opening used for Kanon. It’s one of the best songs I’ve ever heard in my life. It’s the perfect song for Kanon. The animation that goes along with the song perfectly captures Kanon and its story. If the only thing I liked about Kanon was its opening, I’d honestly be okay, it’s that good.

So….a lot happens in Kanon and I’ll try to write down the parts that stood out most to me. Since the opening used sounds very sad I was expecting the anime to start off on a low key moment, building tension over time, but it starts out quite happily. We meet Yuuichi and Nayuki. Yuuichi is a funny character, who can be quite sarcastic and is good at being blunt with his words, an unexpected quality from a main character. The most important “thing” to arise from the episode is how Yuuichi can’t remember any events from his last visit in the city. Shortly after, we’re introduced to Ayu, an old friend of Yuuichi’s. She’s without a doubt a favorite of mine. Her “ uguu~” is just so cute and she’s an adorable character. Right after Ayu, we’re introduced to Makoto and it’s around here that Kanon shows its true colors.

From Episode 5-10 the story turns to Makoto and her arc. It’s during these 6 episodes that the story goes from a happy and blissful-like tone to one that’s somber and sad. Having met Mai,
the demon hunter
, we learn more and more about Makoto, through her interactions and how both Yuuichi and Makoto open up to each other. From Mai we meet Amano who helps Yuuichi out during Makoto’s
final moments
. Learning about how Makoto is a
Youko
and what a path like that entails is heart breaking. Throughout the arc we see Makoto
slowly regress mentally and physically until the only thing Makoto can say is “Auu~”.
This absolutely hurt to watch, I cried so much. Writing this up is bringing those emotions back up like a torrent of raging water. When Yuuichi decides to
marry Makoto
and they spend the last day together on-top of Monomi Hill is beautiful; as he plays with Makoto to the very last second, Makoto gets tired and sleepy,
then she disappears in his arms leaving behind only
her bells, this absolutely hurt me. I wouldn’t be able to handle such a situation. Just watching broke me down. The story about
Youko
is incredibly sad. To be put through all those emotions and then to lose it all so quickly, insane.

Episodes 11-15 then focus on Mai (Shiori too) and
her demons
, but it’s so much more than that. The relationship between Mai and Sayuri is envious. They share a beautiful love between friends and learning more about Mai and Yuuichi is devastating. Mai’s backstory is unfortunately sad, but at least it had a good outcome. Learning that Mai actually had
supernatural powers to repair/fix issues
is amazing. It’s just so unfortunate that people had to make fun of her and ostracized her forcing her to be alone. Seeing how Mai reacted to Sayuri
get hurt
was both intimidating and heartbreaking. The fierce determination to
destroy the demons
during the ball was scary, but at the same time, entirely understandable. The realization that the
demons
are actually Mai’s
supernatural power
was an unexpected twist. The fact that Mai believed so hard that
demons
were actually going to appear was really out there. It’s as if the
demons
were an excuse to keep Yuuichi from leaving the city back when he visited the first time. Seeing Mai understand this revelation and attempt
to take her own life
was daunting. Everything about Mai and Sayuri played perfectly.

Shiori’s plot takes place in many of the later episodes, with 16-18 having the most story to them. Shiori and her
health issues
are an incredibly sad topic to switch to, but the way Yuuichi handles it all is amazing. I think it’s the perfect way to handle a situation like that. Instead of always thinking about it and having it loom over everyone’s head, don’t think about it and try to have the best time of your life. Learning about Kaori either from Shiori or Kaori herself was some messed up stuff. I know that I would never be able to ignore someone like that in my life and the way Kaori does it is scary cold. Yuuichi does a fantastic job of making Shiori’s
last week
as best as it can be, but with Kanon, I already had a feeling things wouldn’t be so happy and fun for long. I’m glad that in the end, Kaori opened her heart up to Shiori and tries to mend the problems she inadvertently caused. It’s unfortunate that Shiori had to change the mood at the end of her birthday. Spending time alone with Yuuichi and talking about how she
wishes she never became close friends with anyone
hurt so much to hear. The way she
disappears
absolutely ruined me, as it did for Yuuichi.

Ayu and Nayuki’s plot sort of intertwine. Though Ayu is a focus for the entire show, Nayuki is left off to the side for most of Kanon. I always knew that Ayu’s plot would be really sad and seeing how she was a part of so many episodes, she’s probably the most important character to the show and Yuuichi. Although Nayuki and Yuuichi are cousins, I always felt sad for her; because it’s pretty clear she had/has feelings for Yuuichi. Unfortunately, Ayu was the girl that Yuuichi fell for. The way Shiori’s plot ends leaves Yuuichi feeling real down,
thinking that she has passed away
. During the 19th episode we see just how much Yuuichi and Ayu care for each other. Speaking with one another, Ayu brings up her
mother and how she left her
; while speaking about the moment she asks Yuuichi if he’s ever felt something similar to that
(A sense of total abandonment)
. The rush of memories for Makoto, Mai and Shiori hit Yuuichi hard, as if he hasn’t taken the time to reflect on everything that’s happened, this all forces Yuuichi to almost cry in front of Ayu. During this bittersweet moment, the two
share a kiss
and it feels magical to witness this turn of events. Ayu’s plot though, is complicated and it’s not easy for Yuuichi to sift out what she’s missing or who she really is. The way we get flashbacks to Ayu really start to open up her story. I personally knew that Ayu was
missing the doll, I had a feeling she fell of the tree,
that moment was obvious, but even though it’s obvious, I could never prepare myself to watch it happen.

The last 3 episodes are when Kanon gets into maximum drama mode. Nayuki’s
mother Akiko being hit by a car was straight up torture
. Seeing how Nayuki breaks apart as a person and forcing
blame on herself
really hurt to watch. When Yuuichi realizes who Ayu is and what happened so long ago was nigh on depressing. The revelations that occurred during the end were intense.

The 24th episode was absolutely adoring. After being slayed to watch essentially 20 episodes of sad and heartfelt moments, one good episode was necessary. When we learn that
Ayu didn’t die
, but was in a coma for seven years, made my heart skip a beat or two. Seeing how everyone was getting better, Mai and Sayuri, Kaori and
Shiori (This was truly touching, I honestly thought that Shiori died, seeing her alive and well made me so damn happy), Akiko
and Nayuki and lastly Ayu and Yuuichi. I couldn’t have wished for a better ending. The last frame with the tree bud on top of the
cut down tree
and fox walking in the background, everything really did end on a good note.

In the end, I think there are a lot of ways to describe Kanon, but I think the Opening and Ending act as a great allegory for the entire show.

Throughout the entire show, I had an emotion/feeling occur within me that I’ve never felt before. I don’t know the word to describe it, but I can summarize how it felt. “As if my chest is being squeezed against, my heart being punctured over and over and over again”. I cried so much during Kanon; I’m really glad to have watched it. Thanks to MikeHattsu for wanting me to take a look at it. Even with all those tears let loose, I really loved every second of it

I hope the way I wrote this is okay. If not, I can try and edit it way down.

Kanon (2006)

Throughout the entire show, I had an emotion/feeling occur within me that I’ve never felt before. I don’t know the word to describe it, but I can summarize how it felt. “As if my chest is being squeezed against, my heart being punctured over and over and over again”. I cried so much during Kanon; I’m really glad to have watched it. Thanks to MikeHattsu for wanting me to take a look at it. Even with all those tears let loose, I really loved every second of it

I hope the way I wrote this is okay. If not, I can try and edit it way down.

Yay!! I am so glad you enjoyed it. :D

And yeah, What MikeHattsu said: watch Clannad!

Midonin

Wish Upon the Pleiades 03

If those swimsuits the girls had were released as Beach Queens figures, I'd want to buy them. They're cute and unique for each of the girls. Best to get that out of the way first. I'm sure a lot's been written about the relationship between sea and sky. The depths of each are equally mysterious, dark, and unknowable to humans. So having an engine fragment be hanging out at the bottom of the sea does make sense. Subaru breaking down over the car engine is a little silly, but the metaphor, as Aoi summed up, I thought it worked pretty alright. I find it interesting that the president chose them to be his magical girl envoys for the same reasons as Kyubey - because they're in that time of life when self-discovery is at a maximum - but with much more benign purposes. It's flying under the radar, but it's one of my favorite shows this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom