• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. the one with the demons and the blood
2. the one with the blood and the guns
3. the one where they shoot demons with guns
4. the one where they use blood to summon gun demons
5. the robot show, no not evangelion cuz shinji's a pussy
6. didn't miyazaki have a show in the 90s? no? well he should have
7. the four episodes of the super buu saga I owned on VHS
8. cowboy bebop, my real #1 but no one will suspect that I jack it to faye if I dock it a few spots
9. the one that's really cute but I can't admit that because that's gay
10. empty placeholder because if I admit I've seen ten or more anime, my dick will fall off
The 90s were a glorious era when anime could be taken seriously and definitely wasn't seen as cartoons for children and sexual deviants.

Caesnd

I enjoy anime based on the content not on the date it was made.

Date, and in effect time, does factor in for some people though.

Personally I am a very audiovisual person, so as long as I am presented with something that satisfies me in those aspects, then I can be very lenient on other parts of a production (even if I prefer works who goes all the way).

And time has changed the premises for creating the audiovisual component. It's not a matter of what is better, but about personal preferences. I happen to enjoy works that were arguably only possible with the way things worked before the digitalisation of creative industries. That's sort of what I was trying to approach with my previous obtuse post. Technology does influence the psychology that lies as foundation to creativity.

Just watched episode 3 of Sound! Euphonium.

These were probably my favorite scenes:

Ah yeh that second scene was some great moment of characterization. We quickly understand how Kumiko's music practice is seen at home and why she'd be discouraged to get really into it.

Instruments are loud and so, when your siblings or parents (potentially add neighbors) want their quiet piece of mind, chances are they'll want you to stop playing most of the time. Maybe they wouldn't be as bothered if you were playing really well, but how do you get there if you can't practice as much and don't just happen to be some major prodigy?

Kumiko's frustration is really apparent with her sigh at the end.

Conveying all that without Kumiko just telling us via inner monologue is greatly appreciated.

edit:
btw, dat chromatic aberration (appropriately used though, unlike in just about all games!)

Thoraxes

Just need Tsukimonogatari to get a date now!

2015-04-2203.55.36i2u9x.jpg

Ponytail Kanbaru is a miracle of this world universe.

Sentai releases for August (Bold for Dub)

Haikyuu! Collection 2 (DVD and Bluray)
Captain Earth Collection 2 (DVD and Bluray)
Hayate The Combat Butler Season 1 (DVD and Bluray)
Vampire Hunter D (DVD and Bluray)
Kamigami no Asobi (DVD and Bluray)
Space Brothers Collection 4 (DVD and Bluray)
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! Heart Throb (DVD Only)
Sakura Trick (DVD Only)
The Kawaii Complex Guide to Manors & Hostel Behavior (DVD Only)

The last 3 will probably get Bluray releases later on.
Getting Haikyuu.

Their lack of dubs this year makes it seem like they are slowly aiming to exit the market.

Will weep bitterly if they dont give TribeCoolCrew a release.

Cornbread78

Glad you liked it , honnestly what you saw was just the prologue to get everyone in place , and thing get much more hetic, intresting and big in scale ( i mean the fights and the stakes ) after that. On a relationship level too. There are lot of nice moments afterwards for every cast member.

Once you've got the time , Do try the books, if campione was 24 eps and they adapted the next arc, i'm pretty sure it would have been MUCH more popular.

Wow, sounds like they have plenty of source material, will there ever be an S2 for Campione or did they just end it right there?

Andrew J.

Euphonium 03

The problem here is the lazy members, but the second-order problem (the problem that prevents you from solving the problem) is that the club president is a wimp who won't put her foot down. Now, if this were a Western TV show the most likely follow-up would be ousting her in favor of Asuka, or even Kousaka, but that probably wouldn't fly in modern Japan, so they'll have to build her confidence or something instead.

javac

I enjoy anime based on the content not on the date it was made.

It's funny because I find the the content in older anime shows/movies appeal a lot more to me, and as I wrote previously a lot of that has to do with the whole bubble economy, a time where a lot more risks were taken and more money was being spent by both creators and consumers. I just find that you don't get things like Angels Egg any more, although if anybody has any new content that adheres to the same qualities of such films/shows, I'd be happy to listen. The music, the art, everything just appeals to me from that era in a way that just instantly puts a smile on my face, so I can see why people hold that era of anime near and dear.

You could say that those days weren't inherently better, but just a different flavor, one that appeals to certain people, but then in the same breath I don't see things like Akira, Robot Carnival, Royal Space Force and the likes being made today, although again I'm sure that I'm not looking in the right places, so again recommendations are welcome.

In any case, that's fine, but it'd be foolish to say that something hasn't been lost since then. It's almost akin to the loss of mid-tier developers and riskier projects in the world of video games, although like Video games, anime seems to have more 'indie' projects and such.

jgminto

Gintama° 3
Gintoki and Kagura's parental antics made this episode. It was a bit of a slow start but once it reached the dinner scene it was hit after hit.

Beats

Escaflowne, Rahxephon, EVANGELION, Slayers, Kenshin, the 1st half of Big O and Record of the Lodoss War are also big names from the 90's as well.

Was Utena the 90's too?

Giant Robo, Ghost in the Shell (the 1st movie) and whatever came out of Studio Ghilbi would be big names too.

Utena was in 97, so yeah.

Black Hat

Gintama° 3
Gintoki and Kagura's parental antics made this episode. It was a bit of a slow start but once it reached the dinner scene it was hit after hit.

Someone please tell me that Gintama° will keep going until they catch up to the manga.

It's too damn good.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oddly, a word I never see mentioned is 'fashion' and yet that's one of the major factors for why older anime can be seen as being different to today's offerings. But this isn't actually an anime issue but a wider one. Fashion affects everything which is why 80s pop music is different to 10s pop music, 80s action flicks aren't as common in the 10s, and the less said about 80s outfits the better. Anime will just be a reflection of the current tastes in society.

But no, we get a blame game and have words like 'cute' and 'moe' thrown around.

So yeah, content by default may be different in 80s anime because fashion was different back then, but considering or dismissing a show primarily based on a broadcast date, which is how the thoughts of some of the people in that thread come across, is silly.

Wow, sounds like they have plenty of source material, will there ever be an S2 for Campione or did they just end it right there?

Campione the anime was 5 books ( heck episode 1 is a very rushed book 1 ) and right now we have 17 books.
So yeah there is without a doubt plenty of material to add.

But sadly , campione was not popular enough. Among the reader of the books, many complained about the rushed nature of the show..and it gather new readers but the chances of having more animated are slim to none.

Caesnd

Oddly, a word I never see mentioned is 'fashion' and yet that's one of the major factors for why older anime can be seen as being different to today's offerings. But this isn't actually an anime issue but a wider one. Fashion affects everything which is why 80s pop music is different to 10s pop music, 80s action flicks aren't as common in the 10s, and the less said about 80s outfits the better. Anime will just be a reflection of the current tastes in society.

So yeah, content by default may be different in 80s anime because fashion was different back then, but considering or dismissing a show primarily based on a broadcast date, which is how the thoughts of some of the people in that thread come across, is silly.

Fashion, or rather trends, is of course a given constant in explaining why things in general change as time progresses.

However, technology progresses in a largely linear fashion. In essence, once you pass a certain threshold, there's no turning back, neither economically nor culturally.

Old fashion and trends still remain in our collective societal memory and add onto an ever expanding base of influences for artists to take from. Technology supplants and effectively "kills" possibilities in order to birth new ones.

Digitalisation and mechanisation of tools for artists represents a major shift for audiovisual creatives unlike anything ever seen, with very similar effects to what internet did for interpersonal communication and proliferation of ideologies and mindsets.

EDIT:
I have hopes now that Craig Mullins (as far as I know, the first "digital painter" ever) is finally taking a swing at teaching. Younger generations in the west would stand to gain a lot from listening to him, if for nothing else than how he sort of is the sole individual to bridge the digital and traditional worlds of visual creation that actually wants to express himself about the subject. It's a shame that I can't think of any individuals as prolific and willing as him in Japan.

javac

I guess that's my point, anime, and entertainment in general as you mentioned is a reflection of the current affairs and trends, and I guess I just don't like the reflection I see today. Notice I never mentioned moe or cute, as that's irrelevant to me. A lot of the older shows I love have plenty cute and moe in them, whether that's Macross or Gunbuster or whatever. It's true that what's considered cute in anime today isn't necessarily cute to me however, I'd admit that much, and that (cute stuff) alone has never been the driving force for getting me to watch anime, or anything.

When you look at it, things haven't changed all that much, cute girls doing cute things has always been a staple of anime, and that goes for the whole school kids piloting giant robots and the power of love and friendship saving the day and all of that good stuff included, it's always been there, that much is obvious. So those attributes by themselves aren't the issue, but when it's the go to reason to watch a show, the hook so to speak, that's not for me, but I'm not against it. That'd be like complaining that a comedy has too many jokes, most of these shows make it clear what they strive to be.

Even art-style overall isn't the issue, as you get a Ping Pong and Aku no Hana for every generic anime, and a generic anime for every Patlabor and Akira, but the amount is so far and few between these days I feel, or is never really celebrated as much as they should be the wider audience, maybe that's the reason. People who watch and like older anime never feel truly in tune and welcomed by communities that like the newer stuff, so they look to like-minded people and regurgitate the same stuff with each other, because a person posting about DYRL to a community that already loves that type of content, will get more positive reaction with the acknowledgement and discussion that comes with it, whereas it can be a tougher sell to a community of people who are interested in the latest season of whatever. It's not an either or situation, and many people miraculously break the wall and enjoy *shock horror!* both old and new anime, but maybe people who like older shows feel a disdain for the people who bastion 'new anime' (that's what I'm calling it), stemming from a feeling of being left behind, when that may not actually be the case. People who like anime stick to anime communities, and people who like old and new anime stick to their own little community, scowling whenever they make eye contact with each other.

It goes without saying that, as evident in many threads and posts on GAF itself that a lot of people hate new anime for the sake of it, posting screens of Kanon with every chance they get, and the fans of old anime alone being treated like crazy people who've lost the plot.

For me personally, I've always loved things that take themselves seriously, or strives to tell a story with no regards to the profitability or acceptance by the fan base, so Texhnolyze being an example from the 2000's, or Aku no Hana as a more recent example. You get them every now and again, and make no mistake, things like Macross and Patlabor were made to sell too, but I guess being older means that you don't have to deal with that filter, and that alone makes them more approachable. In any case, I like what I like, and don't like what...I don't like, and new isn't that, but like you said, the 'fashion' today certainly fits the bill.

Shitty post I know, one that doesn't need to be made, but whatever, just nod.

Things that take themselves seriously and Macross shouldn't be grouped together. Not unless you are one of those people who only like Macross Plus. Macross is at its best when it is campy and a bit ridiculous.

It goes without saying that, as evident in many threads and posts on GAF itself that a lot of people hate new anime for the sake of it, posting screens of Kanon with every chance they get, and the fans of old anime alone being treated like crazy people who've lost the plot.

One of the characters from that image is actually from Kamichama Karin :p

Caesnd

I guess that's my point, anime, and entertainment in general as you mentioned is a reflection of the current affairs and trends

I still think this is missing the point a bit. See my previous post but, what instigates those current affairs? I do think it is technology as opposed to just a matter of ever revolving trends and I already gave my view on why I think it is a crucial distinction to make.

A child growing up with a world that considers tablets and computers the main tools of the trade as opposed to soft lead pencils and airbrush can make all the difference in the world, even for aesthetical preferences themselves, as opposed to just the final execution of them.

Things that take themselves seriously and Macross shouldn't be grouped together. Not unless you are one of those people who only like Macross Plus. Macross is at its best when it is campy and a bit ridiculous.

Well put, although I think Do You Remember Love? handled the shift between dramatic moments and poking fun at itself and its contemporaries really well. I don't care very much for the original series.

javac

I will say that growing up I HATED the 80's, being embarrassed by the copious amounts of 80's music my dad would listen to, but in recent years I grew to appreciate the synth, the cheesy love stories and all that cheese :p If it was nostagia, I'd be a lover of shonen I guess, which I'm not.

Eh in any case, it is what it is.

OceanBlue

Ah yeh that second scene was some great moment of characterization. We quickly understand how Kumiko's music practice is seen at home and why she'd be discouraged to get really into it.

Instruments are loud and so, when your siblings or parents (potentially add neighbors) want their quiet piece of mind, chances are they'll want you to stop playing most of the time. Maybe they wouldn't be as bothered if you were playing really well, but how do you get there if you can't practice as much and don't just happen to be some major prodigy?

Kumiko's frustration is really apparent with her sigh at the end.

Conveying all that without Kumiko just telling us via inner monologue is greatly appreciated.

edit:
btw, dat chromatic aberration (appropriately used though, unlike in just about all games!)
I feel like there's another reason why the instrument causes tension between the two. At the end of the first episode, you see Kumiko's sister teaching Kumiko how to play an instrument so I can't imagine that Kumiko's sister doesn't like the sound of the instrument. Definitely agree at how nice the scene was though.

I feel like there's another reason why the instrument causes tension between the two. At the end of the first episode, you see Kumiko's sister teaching Kumiko how to play an instrument so I can't imagine that Kumiko's sister doesn't like the sound of the instrument.

Hmm true, forgot about that.

Dio

Banned
It should be noted that I encountered this problem in the Gaming side as well when I was posting about Tokyo Xanadu.

A lot of sentiment, from places other than GAF too, is 'why the fuck is Falcom making high school stuff now?! Where is my old 80s-90s fantasy anime style, fucking sellouts,' et cetera.

Falcom was never a company that particularly chose that as the 'flagship style' of their games. Falcom always made games that reflected the current popular anime style and culture in their games - in the 90s, they made plenty of games in this style:

and now they make games like this,

(let's not even mention that there was only ever one school-themed Falcom game before Tokyo Xanadu was announced, the first Sen no Kiseki, and they graduated before the sequel)

not because they 'sold out', but because a lot of what they make reflects the anime style of the time. Fans of the older games are given the impression that Falcom 'left behind what made it so great', even though the games are just as good mechanically as they've always been, even better in some cases, when really it's just that they're stuck in the 80s/90s and want Falcom to remain stuck in the past with them.

cajunator

Banned
Like NSFW

any NSFW

of NSFW

these NSFW

moments NSFW

would work against SnS.

scandalous!

Sentai releases for August (Bold for Dub)

Haikyuu! Collection 2 (DVD and Bluray)
Captain Earth Collection 2 (DVD and Bluray)
Hayate The Combat Butler Season 1 (DVD and Bluray)
Vampire Hunter D (DVD and Bluray)
Kamigami no Asobi (DVD and Bluray)
Space Brothers Collection 4 (DVD and Bluray)
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! Heart Throb (DVD Only)
Sakura Trick (DVD Only)
The Kawaii Complex Guide to Manors & Hostel Behavior (DVD Only)

The last 3 will probably get Bluray releases later on.

Sakura Trick DVD only :(
*sigh

Alright animegaf, show me your worth. list top 10 90's anime. keep out cardcaptor sakura, inuyasha, yuyu hakusho and marmalade boy plus his and mine circumstances. other than that commence!
please ;_;

Magic Knight Rayearth
Saint Tail
Those Who Hunt elves
Slayers
Utena
El Hazard
Escaflowne
Nadesico
Gunsmith Cats
All Purpose cultural Catgirl NukuNuku

Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

I wanted Kawaisou BDs. Fuck. I'll be waiting for the BD release. Man what a bummer for what was probably the series I was looking forward to buying the most.

On the other hand, holy shit Hayate S1 BDs. I expected a disappointment in DVD-only or something. Definitely buying. Loved the first season.

Yeah I gotta get the Hayate ones.
I cant stand it when a release isnt in bluray. It feels so cheap.

RahXephon 1-26:
kamina_zpsvkexdoer.png

Well that was interesting series. So much common with Eva that sometimes it made me laugh (like half of the characters have their direct replica in eva, Ayato = Shinji, Haruka = Misato, Maya = Gendou, Quon = Rei etc.). All in all plot was fine and not too messy despite a lot of cryptic shit (In Eva I was pretty confused a lot of times...). I could follow it pretty well. I also actually liked characters too. Ayato was billion times better main than Shinji and i really didn't hate anyone either. It felt like that all characters behaved like they should considering their situation. Animation was fine and soundtrack was pretty fantastic. As for ending I guess it was happy ending but I really didn't like it that much.
Re-tuning the world to the state where Tokyo Jupiter incident never happened felt like the series itself didn't happen and to me it was actually pretty sad ending.

Also again:
Ayato >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shinji

cajunator

Banned

80s and 90s had plenty of hyper cuties and moe stuff.
In fact thats what interested me in it in the first place!
SIlly anime fans.

javac

In any case, I'm late on this weeks releases, sorry about that. 04/21/15.

04/21/15
Freezing Vibration: Complete Collection [Funimation]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 2.0
Subtitles: English
Format: BD / LE
Price: Price @ Amazon.com: $37.39
YebWRzpm.jpg

Devil Survivor 2: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Run Time: 325 min
Audio: TBA
Subtitles:
Format: BD
Price: Price @ Amazon.com: $40.29
JdmogJRl.jpg

Space Brothers: Collection 2 [Sentai]
Run Time: 325 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Price: Price @ Amazon.com: $42.50
7WBgsj7m.jpg

Unlimited Psychic Squad: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Run Time:
Audio: TBA
Subtitles: NA
Price: Price @ Amazon.com: $34.49
WLQziZCm.jpg

Hanamonogatari Suruga Devil [AoA]
Run Time: 150 min
Audio: Japanese
Price: Price @ rightstuf.com: $49.98
mNz3zqXl.jpg

The Garden of Sinners: Recalled out Summer [AoA]
Run Time: 123 min
Audio: Japanese: LPCM 2.0
Format: BD LE
Price: Price @ rightstuf.com: $69.98
y2tERUcl.jpg

04/24/15
Mobile Suit Gundam THE ORIGIN Vol 1 {Import} [Bandai]
Run Time: 73 min
Audio:
  • Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
  • Japanese: LPCM 2.0
  • Japanese: DTS 2.0
  • English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
  • English: LPCM 2.0
  • English: DTS 2.0
Subtitles: Japanese, English, French, Korean, Mandarin (Simplified), Mandarin (Traditional)
Format: BD LE
Price: Price @ rightstuf.com: $99.98
ekQ1a8ll.jpg

DVD
04/21/15
One Piece: Collection 12 [Funimation]
Run Time: 600 min
Audio: English/Japanese
Format: DVD
Price: Price @ Amazon.com: $22.70
EN6nNRcm.jpg

Naruto Shippuden: Set 22 [VIZ]
Run Time:
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 2.0 / Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0
Subtitles:English
Format: DVD
Price: Price @ Amazon.com: $27.99
JxL5zb6m.jpg

Cornbread78

Triage X:
I took a moment before my morning meeting to check out the first two episodes of this one and Ok then, this one could get interesting really quick. I understand the concept, but let's see if the main developes an actually personality of his own.

Oh, are Run-Ne or Re-Kan worth watching?

Tetsujin 28-go (2004) - 2

This was another great episode.

Like, the way this was all presented was just amazing. Like, from the way Tetsujin was mummified, to the visuals, to the way it stomped around, crushing everything in its path making it look like the frightening unstoppable force of nature it was created to be, it was all just so good.

I'm loving how this show is set in the 60s, where the war is still fresh in people's minds and Japan's only just starting to really get going in its recovery. The scars of war have not yet faded, and Tetsujin in this episode was basically reopening the wounds.

RahXephon 1-26:

Well that was interesting series. So much common with Eva that sometimes it made me laugh (like half of the characters have their direct replica in eva, Ayato = Shinji, Haruka = Misato, Maya = Gendou, Quon = Rei etc.). All in all plot was fine and not too messy despite a lot of cryptic shit (In Eva I was pretty confused a lot of times...). I could follow it pretty well. I also actually liked characters too. Ayato was billion times better main than Shinji and i really didn't hate anyone either. It felt like that all characters behaved like they should considering their situation. Animation was fine and soundtrack was pretty fantastic. As for ending I guess it was happy ending but I really didn't like it that much.
Re-tuning the world to the state where Tokyo Jupiter incident never happened felt like the series itself didn't happen and to me it was actually pretty sad ending.

Also again:
Ayato >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Shinji
Couldn't agree more.

Alright animegaf, show me your worth. list top 10 90's anime. keep out cardcaptor sakura, inuyasha, yuyu hakusho and marmalade boy plus his and mine circumstances. other than that commence!
please ;_;
Sailor Moon S
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Princess Nine
Golden Boy
Mad Bull 34

There are only several others I've watched but these are the ones I care the most about.

Kansoku

I have a question. What are the '80s?

I'm 100% joking

The 1980s was a decade that began on January 1, 1980, and ended on December 31, 1989.

The time period saw great social, economic, and general change as wealth and production migrated to newly industrializing economies. As economic liberalization increased in the developed world, multiple multinational corporations associated with the manufacturing industry relocated into Thailand, Mexico, South Korea, Taiwan, and China. Japan and West Germany are the most notable developed countries that continued to enjoy rapid economic growth during the decade; Japan's would stall by the early 1990s.

The United Kingdom and the United States moved closer to laissez-faire economic policies beginning a trend towards neoliberalism that would pick up more steam in the following decade as the fall of the USSR made right wing economic policy more popular.

Developing countries across the world faced economic and social difficulties as they suffered from multiple debt crises in the 1980s, requiring many of these countries to apply for financial assistance from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank. Ethiopia witnessed widespread famine in the mid-1980s during the corrupt rule of Mengistu Haile Mariam, resulting in the country having to depend on foreign aid to provide food to its population and worldwide efforts to address and raise money to help Ethiopians, such as the Live Aid concert in 1985.

Television viewing became commonplace in the Third World, with the number of TV sets in China and India increasing 15 and 10 fold respectively.[1] The number of televisions in the world nearly doubled over the course of the decade from only 561 million in 1980 to 910 million in 1987 and around a billion by 1989.[2]

Major civil discontent and violence occurred in the Middle East, including the Iran-Iraq War, the Soviet-Afghan War, the 1982 Lebanon War, the Nagorno-Karabakh War, the Bombing of Libya in 1986, and the First Intifada in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.

Despite a peak in tensions in the early part of the decade, by the late 1980s the Cold War was coming to an end.[3] In the eastern bloc hostility to authoritarianism and the rise of nationalism in communist-led socialist states, combined with economic recession resulted in a wave of reformist policies instigated by Mikhail Gorbachev in the USSR - such as perestroika and glasnost, along with the overthrow and attempted overthrow of a number of communist regimes, such as in Hungary, the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 in China, the Czechoslovak "Velvet Revolution", Poland, and the overthrow of the Nicolae Ceauşescu regime in Romania and other communist Warsaw Pact states in Central and Eastern Europe including the Fall of the Berlin Wall. It came to be called the late 1980s' "purple passage of the autumn of nations". By 1989 the Soviet Union announced the abandonment of political hostility toward the Western world and the Cold War ended with the USSR's demise after the August Coup of 1991. The changes of the revolutions of 1989 continue to be felt today.

The 1980s saw the development of the modern Internet, starting with the specification of File Transfer Protocol in 1980[4] and ARPANET's move to TCP/IP around 1982–83.[5] Approximately 1.1 million people (86% of them in the United States) were using the Internet at the end of the 1980s.[6] Tim Berners Lee created a hypertext system called ENQUIRE in 1980 and began his work on the World Wide Web in March 1989; after its first demonstration at the end of 1990 it was released to the public in July 1991 and by approximately 1995 became widely known, beginning the ongoing worldwide boom of Internet use.

People born in the 1980s are usually classified along with those born in the 1990s as part of the Millennial generation.[7]

The issue of global warming first came to the attention of the public in the late 1980s,[8] largely due to the Yellowstone fires of 1988.

The sexually transmitted disease AIDS caused by HIV was discovered in 1984 and has since killed over 50 million people.

Sound Euphonium 3

Teacher laying down some truth bombs there. And some if the lazier students had the audacity to whine and complain about their practicing (or as we saw for the horns, their lack of practicing). This was a great scene to see and a necessary thing the teacher needed to do. A little tough love. In school band we had moments like these and the teachers would call out sections and even individuals and question their dedication or truthfulness about practicing. It needs to be done to toughen everyone and get them to play as a single unit. As a conductor should do. Now it's time to see if everyone will actually do something about it.

Side note: I want to see these guys play The Tempest. I always found that piece super fun to play.

Kikirin

I feel like there's another reason why the instrument causes tension between the two. At the end of the first episode, you see Kumiko's sister teaching Kumiko how to play an instrument so I can't imagine that Kumiko's sister doesn't like the sound of the instrument. Definitely agree at how nice the scene was though.

Hm. That flashback of Kumiko learning from her sister may have been in the relatively distant past before she started playing an instrument, e.g. 4-6 years back? The sister's uniform at the time seems to be that of Kumiko's middle school, so it seems like there may have been enough of a time gap for Kumiko's sister to fall out of love with music between that moment and the present.

There could also be some degree of disappointment at her not having followed in the sister's path of taking up the trombone, but I don't feel like there'd be that big of a divide from just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom