• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Well Cardcaptor Sakura exists so the 90s do end up winning.

This conversation looks really interesting but my brain is almost dead... Cardcaptor Sakura is some of the best stuff my childhood is made out of, including Yuyu Hakusho. Luckily for those interested, both are out on glorious nippon blu-ray format in America.

Caesnd

While it's crazy to say that all good anime died after 1999, the death of the OVA market that came about after the bubble popped killed a certain kind of gritty, to-the-point action anime which more or less never really came back. I don't think it's because the market necessarily shifted, it's just that you can't make that kind of thing on a TV series budget and have it be at a high enough quality to get an audience. Or maybe the market for a single standalone thing is wider than the market for people buying every volume of a TV series, and so the shift to TV as the center of late-night anime inherently narrowed the market.

That's part of it, but the advent of the Wacom and the tablet, Photoshop and even the mechanical pencil meant that many generations of art practice would be replaced by new ones, that were not necessarily informed by what had come before it. In many ways, people who started drawing in the digital era have a completely different mindset to their predecessors.

Contrary to what many might think, art technique does influence style, and thus how many themes and subjects are depicted, because different techniques inherently have different qualities and appeal to different kinds of people. For example, With photo-manipulation software turned art tool, digital composition became possible, but with undo commands, layer separation and the limited colour space, as well as working on a screen as opposed to paper and cel, a different mindset would develop on a very deep level regarding what values and preferences would be accepted.

There's also a disconnect for some people when you essentially have mix-media animation, with traditionally drawn frames, digitally composited and intermeshed with CG-elements, whereas older productions all relied on completely hand-fashioned production methods (from first concept to final frame shooting). This often results in a stiffness and disjointed presentation if not handled carefully. A very skilled craftsman can of course work around most of these things, but it is nevertheless a starting handicap for many artists, especially those who grew up in this era with no prior experience or first hand knowledge of what come before it.

EDIT: Of course, that just the animation/compositing alone. A lot of things have changed with pre-production processes, music, sfx and writing as well.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Alright animegaf, show me your worth. list top 10 90's anime. keep out cardcaptor sakura, inuyasha, yuyu hakusho and marmalade boy plus his and mine circumstances. other than that commence!
please ;_;

jediyoshi

Hibike! Euphorium 03

8oSuMbk.png

wjgG9AM.png

godani delivers

Kikirin

Euphonium 3

As a person that was one of the try-hards / enthusiastic ones, damn that was painful to watch. I remember being hella embarrassed and ashamed whenever a conductor berated the group, and these kids have quite the nerve to mouth off like that after their lack of skill was exposed. What hope is there for SunFes or harder pieces when a basic piece can't even be played well?

RIP in peace, band, we hardly knew ye.

Crocodile

Alright animegaf, show me your worth. list top 10 90's anime. keep out cardcaptor sakura, inuyasha, yuyu hakusho and marmalade boy plus his and mine circumstances. other than that commence!
please ;_;

You may want to exclude Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star and G Gundam as well since I figure those will default be on most/all lists.

Dragon Ball/DBZ and Sailor Moon are also big 90's anime and regardless of how much you liked them they deserve to be on any "hits of the 90's" list

please ;_;

## Cardcaptor Sakura (If you accepted it would be No.1)
1. Mobile Fighter G Gundam
2. Metropolis
3. Turn A Gundam
4. Trigun
5. Ojamajo Doremi S1
6. Princess Mononoke
7. Samurai Pizza Cats
8. Hime-chan's Ribbon
9. Goldfish Warning!!
10. Sailor Moon SuperS

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I was going to make a scathing post in that OT thread but I don't want to be banned.

Instead I'll ask if anyone else becomes annoyed when people making sweeping generalizations of things they self-admittedly know nothing about?

I see so many comments about how anime was so great back in the 80s and 90s and every single show created in the year 2000 onward is absolute tripe garbage without exception.

The blatant hyperbole is a bit much to be honest.

It's essentially the show version of "YOU NEED TO GRIND IN JRPGS". It's that one indicator that essentially translates to "I don't actually know what I'm talking about and haven't played/watched a game/show in this genre for over a decade".

A bit, but eh, let them be. They can chose whatever they want to believe.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You may want to exclude Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star and G Gundam as well since I figure those will default be on most/all lists.

Dragon Ball/DBZ and Sailor Moon are also big 90's anime and regardless of how much you liked them they deserve to be on any "hits of the 90's" list

bebop trigun and g gundam too lol. dbz plus sailor moon as well then i guess. never watched outlaw star although i probably watched it when i was way younger and just dont remember it. but if you can, try coming up with a top 5 with those anime in it. its hard for me to find anime list that dont have the animes already mentioned.

I feel woefully ignorant having never seen anything made before 2005. (Besides Eva and 1 episode of Bebop)

fix that by watching one piece.

## Cardcaptor Sakura (If you accepted it would be No.1)
1. Mobile Fighter G Gundam
2. Metropolis
3. Turn A Gundam
4. Trigun
5. Ojamajo Doremi S1
6. Princess Mononoke
7. Samurai Pizza Cats
8. Hime-chan's Ribbon
9. Goldfish Warning!!
10. Sailor Moon SuperS

giving me a rush of dopamine with this list! thank you!

Narag

please ;_;

in no particular order,

• The Big O
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Giant Robo
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal
  • Sailor Moon S
  • M.D. Geist II: Death Force

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
in no particular order,

• The Big O
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena
  • Cowboy Bebop
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • Giant Robo
  • Ghost in the Shell
  • Princess Mononoke
  • Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal
  • Sailor Moon S
  • M.D. Geist II: Death Force

even more anime, thank you narag. i aint surprised i see sailor moon on your list lol

If there is one thing I'll never do, it is watching a series longer than 100+ episodes. (Sorry Gintama fans)

you havent watched hunter x hunter?! FIX THAT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crocodile

Escaflowne, Rahxephon, EVANGELION, Slayers, Kenshin, the 1st half of Big O and Record of the Lodoss War are also big names from the 90's as well.

Was Utena the 90's too?

Giant Robo, Ghost in the Shell (the 1st movie) and whatever came out of Studio Ghilbi would be big names too.

KazenY2J

I was going to make a scathing post in that OT thread but I don't want to be banned.

Instead I'll ask if anyone else becomes annoyed when people making sweeping generalizations of things they self-admittedly know nothing about?

I see so many comments about how anime was so great back in the 80s and 90s and every single show created in the year 2000 onward is absolute tripe garbage without exception.

The blatant hyperbole is a bit much to be honest.

It's essentially the show version of "YOU NEED TO GRIND IN JRPGS". It's that one indicator that essentially translates to "I don't actually know what I'm talking about and haven't played/watched a game/show in this genre for over a decade".
I just don't bother, anime threads in there become ignorant at times.

Escaflowne, Rahxephon, EVANGELION, Slayers, Kenshin, the 1st half of Big O and Record of the Lodoss War are also big names from the 90's as well.

Was Utena the 90's too?

Giant Robo, Ghost in the Shell (the 1st movie) and whatever came out of Studio Ghilbi would be big names too.

Rahxephon was 00s.

I wanted to make my list and then I discovered that MALGraph is dead. So much for easy ways to find a list of 90s anime that I've watched.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
please ;_;

1. the one with the demons and the blood
2. the one with the blood and the guns
3. the one where they shoot demons with guns
4. the one where they use blood to summon gun demons
5. the robot show, no not evangelion cuz shinji's a pussy
6. didn't miyazaki have a show in the 90s? no? well he should have
7. the four episodes of the super buu saga I owned on VHS
8. cowboy bebop, my real #1 but no one will suspect that I jack it to faye if I dock it a few spots
9. the one that's really cute but I can't admit that because that's gay
10. empty placeholder because if I admit I've seen ten or more anime, my dick will fall off

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Was Utena the 90's too?

Rahxephon was 00s.

I wanted to make my list and then I discovered that MALGraph is dead. So much for easy ways to find a list of 90s anime that I've watched.

i cant keep up with all of this lol, time to make a list to keep track of when i wake up in the morning

edit:

madp you alright bro?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
please ;_;
Let see...

1. Slayers
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
3. Black Heaven aka Kacho Ouji
4. Trigun
5. Rurouni Kenshin
6. Serial Experiment Lain
7. You're under arrest
8. Saber marionette J
9. Fushigi Yugi
10. Silent Mobius

Based on these list, it's clear i need to watch more 90's anime. Oh and the list is strictly tv series

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Let see...

1. Slayers
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion
3. Black Heaven aka Kacho Ouji
4. Trigun
5. Rurouni Kenshin
6. Serial Experiment Lain
7. You're under arrest
8. Saber marionette J
9. Fushigi Yugi
10. Silent Mobius

Based on these list, it's clear i need to watch more 90's anime. Oh and the list is strictly tv series

even moar!
iwG5MYWnXHC22.png

After reading all the replies I'm not going to let it bother me any further.

Instead I'll just look for some more shows to add my growing watch list.

What were you bothered with in the first place vanillacake?

Thanks. Data and lists for this amuse me and it's good that this still exists.

It would been a lot more difficult to do my top 10 without it believe me.
Also I want to keep chasing the achievements :p

Although due to MAL's stupid ways of labelling anime I forgot to put Whisper of the Heart somewhere in my top 10, go figure.

I would really like to order the Drama CD for Today's Cerberus 「今日のケルベロス」, but neither Amazon Japan (3rd party) nor CD Japan are directly selling the item. These are the two sites I have ordered from in the past for importing.

What can I do to hopefully get this item successfully ordered? Tried ordering from the 3rd party Amazon seller and item was refused for a US order.

Reknoc

1. the one with the demons and the blood
2. the one with the blood and the guns
3. the one where they shoot demons with guns
4. the one where they use blood to summon gun demons
5. the robot show, no not evangelion cuz shinji's a pussy
6. didn't miyazaki have a show in the 90s? no? well he should have
7. the four episodes of the super buu saga I owned on VHS
8. cowboy bebop, my real #1 but no one will suspect that I jack it to faye if I dock it a few spots
9. the one that's really cute but I can't admit that because that's gay
10. empty placeholder because if I admit I've seen ten or more anime, my dick will fall off

http://youtu.be/pYdVj6997MQ

Ronja the Robber's Daughter 07

Most of the previous episodes have been fairly tame character building for Ronja. This episode really highlights how selfish and childish she has grown, taking that stubborn trait from her father. Birk, the antagonist has a more level head with a caring heart. The scene where Ronja and Birk venture into the fog was incredibly eerie and establishes that Birk is the more mature of the two. Great episode.

Mandelbo

Show by Rock 01

I... didn't really enjoy this too much. The CG was very jarring to me and I'm not sure I like the main character, who says she's shy after singing the OP in front of the club room. Maybe it'll grow on me.

It was quite funny when she got sucked into tap tap revenge though

OceanBlue

Just watched episode 3 of Sound! Euphonium. Ultimatemegax was right about Yamamura. I really enjoyed it. You could really feel the tension. I really liked the music placement too. It might've been a little heavy handed but I thought it was appropriate. The character animation was also great as usual. It really helped make the character's emotions feel more authentic IMO.

These were probably my favorite scenes:

The first one is probably obvious to everyone, since it's the scene where the teacher throws in our (and the band members') faces what the obstacle the band faces is. I like that, for the first half of this scene, he stares straight at you and you take the viewpoint of a player. You knew the performance was going to be bad, and now you're sharing in the shame that everyone feels. I feel like it kinda reinforces the humiliation people mention about this episode.

I liked the second scene too, but I primarily stuck it in this post to highlight how funny it is. There's a picture of a valley between them! And then the shot moves to their feet and the euphonium takes the place of the picture! Lol, considering how new I am to actually thinking about what I'm watching, I appreciate how obvious it is. :V

I thought the episode did a good job of setting up the fail that you knew was coming . Really nice. I can't wait for the next episode now. :D

Clov

Sentai releases for August (Bold for Dub)

Haikyuu! Collection 2 (DVD and Bluray)
Captain Earth Collection 2 (DVD and Bluray)
Hayate The Combat Butler Season 1 (DVD and Bluray)
Vampire Hunter D (DVD and Bluray)
Kamigami no Asobi (DVD and Bluray)
Space Brothers Collection 4 (DVD and Bluray)
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! Heart Throb (DVD Only)
Sakura Trick (DVD Only)
The Kawaii Complex Guide to Manors & Hostel Behavior (DVD Only)

The last 3 will probably get Bluray releases later on.

I really enjoyed the first two seasons of Hayate the Combat Butler, so I think I'll pick up season 1 at some point on BD. It's nice that they put all the episodes into one collection! They're spread across 6 BDs, so they're not cramming too badly. It's also nice that they gave it a BD in the first place. Despite being done in HD, it never got a BD release in Japan from what I've heard.

Saudades

please ;_;
Haven't watched that many old anime except for the mostly mainstream ones, but just my 2 cents:

1. Rurouni Kenshin - Tsuiokuhen
2. Perfect Blue
3. Cowboy Bebop
4. Only Yesterday
5. Ghost in the Shell
6. Serial Experiments Lain
7. End of Evangelion
8. Patlabor the Movie 2
9. Princess Mononoke
10. Jin-roh the Wolf Brigade

Honorable mentions include Now and Then, Here and There, Evangelion, Whisper of the Heart, Porco Rosso, and Memories: Magnetic Rose segment.

Lain

Garo The Animation 20-24

Overall an enjoyable show with some big quality drops in some episodes. The villains disappointed me with reasons behind their actions that were pretty meh (i guess it fits the kind of show but still...).
I was hoping Octavia to have some better reason to fuel her behavior instead it was simply petty. I didn't like how she sacrificed
the other maid that reminded her of her sister, the sister that died killed by wolves because she didn't want to run away because God will save me while the other villagers ran in panic because omg we can't do anything against wolves.
Sure, hate God for this, hate people for this, I'm totally understanding where you're coming from Octavia! Wait, why are you summoning a monster and without any hesitation you made him devour this nice, young girl that reminded you of your sister? Oh, I get it, because you're just a worthless character that's supposed to a have a creepy obsession for the creepy looking evil man.

The end had power, shitty father being a shitty father until the end included, though I had a disappointment here too
with Ema not sticking around with Leon, though she'll be back once he's grown up some more, I'm sure.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
madp you alright bro?

sorry couldn't resist taking a dig at that OT thread. feel bad giving you a troll response, so here's something real:

TV-only list because I'm not qualified to discuss 90s movies/ovas, and I wouldn't take much stock in my own list anyway as I've hardly scratched the surface of the decade past the biggest names. Most are here by default.

1. Evangelion
2. Sailor Moon
3. Ojamajo Doremi
4. Bebop
5. Utena
6. Turn A Gundam
7. Oniisama e
8. G Gundam
9. Lain (I don't like it but I have to admit it's essential viewing)
10. wild card spot: uhh how about something lower-profile that nobody's listed like Princess Nine or Pretty Sammy.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Hibike Euphonium 3
Sensei dropping the truth bomb. Asuka-senpai undying positivity is great. I'm sucker for this kind of underdog story. The club probably going to mend its way and start making effort toward national competition.

I don't think I've really watched a lot of 90s TV series so I'll add in movies and OVA. Go ahead and mock my pleb taste for not watchin the classiks. Also not in a real order or anything.

1. Evangelion
2. End of Evangelion (i'm cheating here by counting these two as seperate)
3. Bebop
4. G Gundam
5. Jin-Roh
6. Ghost in the Shell
7. Berserk
8. Outlaw Star
9. Trigun
10. Ruroni Kenshin

Thoraxes

Sentai releases for August (Bold for Dub)

Haikyuu! Collection 2 (DVD and Bluray)
Captain Earth Collection 2 (DVD and Bluray)
Hayate The Combat Butler Season 1 (DVD and Bluray)
Vampire Hunter D (DVD and Bluray)
Kamigami no Asobi (DVD and Bluray)
Space Brothers Collection 4 (DVD and Bluray)
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! Heart Throb (DVD Only)
Sakura Trick (DVD Only)
The Kawaii Complex Guide to Manors & Hostel Behavior (DVD Only)

The last 3 will probably get Bluray releases later on.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

I wanted Kawaisou BDs. Fuck. I'll be waiting for the BD release. Man what a bummer for what was probably the series I was looking forward to buying the most.

On the other hand, holy shit Hayate S1 BDs. I expected a disappointment in DVD-only or something. Definitely buying. Loved the first season.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The secret best anime of the 1990s was Oniisama e as this is seriously has been thus far one of the best anime titles I have ever watched.

Thoraxes

Some fun watches (they were for me anyways) I don't see listed:

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Macross 7
Magic Knight Rayearth
Gundam Wing
Gunsmith Cats
Golden Boy
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
Pokemon
GaoGaiGar
Golden Boy
Initial D
Great Teacher Onizuka (ran into 2000 I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom