• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
KanColle 1 - END - Hey! Remember Girls Und Panzer? That was a great show. If you haven't seen either KanColle or GuP, you should probably go watch GuP. If you have seen it already, I dunno, maybe watch it again?

In all honesty, watching KanColle just makes me want to rewatch GuP because it is a much better show. I just feel like GuP is about tank fights and the people involved in them. Whereas KanColle is about a bunch of girls, and hey, they just happen to be ships as well. I don't feel like the show respects necessarily respects the ships, the tactics, or the historical events it draws upon. That's not to say GuP is the anime version of a hard core tank sim, but at least it seems like they made and attempt draw in plausible tactics and appropriate roles for the tanks. And I never really felt like the various girls' personalities were really reflected in their ships or their style of combat. Just kind of a disconnect between the two.

Cornbread78

So if I watched My Little Monster tomorrow, would I enjoy the ending if I like happy ones, or will it piss me off like the ending of ToraDora! did yesterday?

Gintama 268

Gintama%20-%20268.jpg

And you didn't see that this was a bad plan ?

Gintama shows again that this show is at his best no matter the situation.

Best marriage interview

Ore Monogatari 3:
Things are happening. Sunakawa is confirmed as basically the best friend a guy could ask for. The first five minutes or so were kind of tough to watch, but after that we finally get all the cards laid out on the table, and things develop pretty quickly. This is definitely one of the fastest moving stories of this type I can think of. I'm curious to see where things will go from here.

And man
when Sunakawa reveals that he was rejecting all those girls because they talked shit about Takeo, who couldn't love him right then and there. What a guy.

So if I watched My Little Monster tomorrow, would I enjoy the ending if I like happy ones, or will it piss me off like the ending of ToraDora! did yesterday?

It's more a case of where the manga was still ongoing when the show aired, so it doesn't really have an ending. The final episode is pretty enjoyable, though. But if you need everything wrapped up neatly, you won't get that.

Cornbread78

It's more a case of where the manga was still ongoing when the show aired, so it doesn't really have an ending. The final episode is pretty enjoyable, though. But if you need everything wrapped up neatly, you won't get that.

I got ya, so it's like 75% of the anime series ending I've seen so far that are incomplete and just end. At least it's a decent ending, I'm still pissed at that other ending for no real reason other than they ruined something great to me.. Oh well..

Hmm. Both.
Both? Pissed because it's incomplete and happy because it's it's a good ending or, it's good and bad? Is it worth a play through at least without pissing me off, lol?

Jintor

or will it piss me off like the ending of ToraDora! did yesterday?

That ending still shits me lol.

I can't believe they made a series that I was 100% on board with the whole way through and then they just didn't stick the landing.

I mean, it's still good, but it's like the author didn't consider that stuff that takes a long time to happen isn't a good thing to put in your ending even if you jump-cut over it since it plays havok with suspension of disbelief

Sterok

Mikagura 3

Damn, Eruna has a big head. She's certainly good at attracting attention. Is something going on with the Drama Club? Pretty obvious that Seisa was still far above Eruna. Back to the sleeping bag. Art guy is nice. So if 3 members are needed for a club, who else is in the going-home club?

I like this show. Not sure why, since I don't actually find it funny. Must be Eruna's charisma. I wouldn't be shocked if this becomes a sleeper hit for the season.

Pleiades 3

I feel like this show has a bad case of not transitioning well from point A to point B. Like, stuff happens and it doesn't feel like it flows well. It's not bad, but there's something that keeps it from being truly engaging. Nonoka is definitely the best of the cast here. On the whole, I'll at least say it's interesting.

Mikagura School Suite Episode 3

Team Akama senpai, that was a really incredibly fight and he has a scythe, proving yet again that there are no bad scythe carrying characters in anime.

Kuzuryu is still my favorite.

Assassination Classroom Episode 10 ENGDUB

Karma kun really is carrying, definitely sounds like the type of guy who wouldnt make fun of you for liking a bad movie.

Cornbread78

That ending still shits me lol.
I can't believe they made a series that I was 100% on board with the whole way through and then they just didn't stick the landing.
I mean, it's still good, but it's like the author didn't consider that stuff that takes a long time to happen isn't a good thing to put in your ending even if you jump-cut over it since it plays havok with suspension of disbelief

For some reason that really did piss me off yesterday and I was actually kinda upset about it. The perfect ending was around the 10 mark, when they
came home for dinner
. The credits should have just rolled there. The rest of it was complete horse crap and still doesn't make sense. The only thought that came to mind was the conversation they had about
Having a proper wedding with both their families involved instead of eloping
If that was the case, the author or the director did a horrible job. I honestly think that ending pissed me off more than School Days, lol.

You could just go and read the actual ending rather than the halfway through the story ending.

the anime doesn't complete the story. I suggest you picking up the manga to finish it out.

It's been a long long time since I've read anything other than a strategy guide, ya know, lol. I tend to get bored much quicker...

I detest multimedia storytelling. Tell a complete story in one medium or not at all. Side stories on different mediums are ok.

Isn't that exactly what the manga is? A complete story in one medium?

It's not like we're talking about a case where the anime came first and then they completed the story as a manga.

Cornbread78

Isn't that exactly what the manga is? A complete story in one medium?
It's not like we're talking about a case where the anime came first and then they completed the story as a manga.

I'll take a look online and see how much it is, but like Cajun said, I'd try to avoid watching it then reading it because the stories my differ quite a bit.

Cornbread78

Sometimes the story is too huge for only "12" episodes.

it happens. Especially since the goal is also to sell merchandise.

I'm honestly surprised they do not just do what Tsukimonogatari did and present it in a movie style where they could complete the stories and sell it as a separate Blu Ray with it's own merchandise.. I really enjoyed that and from what I've run into recently, there are a lot of series out there that could have benefited from it.

I'm honestly surprised they do not just do what Tsukimonogatari did and present it in a movie style where they could complete the stories and sell it as a separate Blu Ray with it's own merchandise.. I really enjoyed that and from what I've run into recently, there are a lot of series out there that could have benefited from it.

Most series can't afford that. The monogatari series is pretty popular, so they can kind of do whatever they want. But for most anime, they just have to do what they can to even get made and turn a profit.

And shows that don't ever get that second season usually wind up in that spot because they didn't make a profit for the right people. There are a lot of ways in which the content creation and distribution method of anime is fucked up, but sadly there's not really a lot of options for feasibly improving it (at least not without a massive culture shift).

Im referring to anime starting and manga finishing.

When has an anime original series ever ended as a manga? Unless you mean an anime adaptation of a manga not covering the whole thing. But that's inevitable in many cases because a lot of popular manga are long, and long running series are expensive. It's also mucked up by the fact that many are still ongoing, so they have to slow the pace so they don't run past the manga. Which results in awful filler arcs, awful pacing, or breaks between seasons. This is all especially true when you're not sure how popular the anime will turn out.

You can't really call it multimedia storytelling when the original version of the story is all in one medium.

Plastic Memories 1-3

This is a pretty enjoyable series so far. I mean it does have bits of drama but the thing is it isn't overblown. I actually like the premise on how these Giftias only have a short lifespan and that all their memories vanish. Also Isla reminds me of Renge from Non Non Biyori, they are both cute and their interactions are enjoyable. Anyways I'm curious on how Isla' and Tsukasa's relationship will develop. I mean he still doesn't know that Isla doesn't have much time to live.

I have to say Amamiya Sora the VA for Isla is doing a really great job. I really love her distinct voice.

cajunator

Banned
When has an anime original series ever ended as a manga? Unless you mean an anime adaptation of a manga not covering the whole thing. But that's inevitable in many cases because a lot of popular manga are long, and long running series are expensive. It's also mucked up by the fact that many are still ongoing, so they have to slow the pace so they don't run past the manga. Which results in awful filler arcs, awful pacing, or breaks between seasons. This is all especially true when you're not sure how popular the anime will turn out.

You can't really call it multimedia storytelling when the original version of the story is all in one medium.

Whatever you want to call it. I dont like it. They should commit to an ending and go with it.

duckroll

When has an anime original series ever ended as a manga?

FF: Unlimited was canned before it completely finished, the story was continued in novels. I think Blood+ also got story continuations and expansions via manga. The Gundam Wing story is being continued in novel form now via Frozen Teardrop. Gargantia's season 2 has been canned and the story for that will be told via manga instead. That's just off the top of my head. It's not that unusual for something to start as an original anime series and have the story continue in other forms.

FF: Unlimited was canned before it completely finished, the story was continued in novels. I think Blood+ also got story continuations and expansions via manga. The Gundam Wing story is being continued in novel form now via Frozen Teardrop. Gargantia's season 2 has been canned and the story for that will be told via manga instead. That's just off the top of my head. It's not that unusual for something to start as an original anime series and have the story continue in other forms.

I mean, I'm aware of some multimedia franchises like Gundam, but in those cases it's usually more like side stories or expanded universe type stuff. At the very least, they usually have an actual ending that doesn't need more material, which is significantly different to stopping an ongoing story halfway through

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
So what's the difference between Brotherhood and the original FMA? I wanna pick the show back up since I left it as a kid, had to leave for vacation and DR didn't have any english channels ;_;

my teen romantic comedy snafu ep 1-7
This series has an interesting tone to it so far, I mean, the two main characters are both too smart for their own good, sarcastic, reclusive and lonely. However, they mean well and have big hearts. As sensei knows, they need each other..
The show hasn't been very funny, hasn't been overly dramatic, hasn't been romantic at all, but, it's been very enjoyable and engaging. I'm sure as it goes along Hach and Yuk will help each other grow and we will learn Yuk & Yui's back stories and I have to say, I'm very interested to see where this goes from here, especially with their personal growth.

You are going to love this show man, plus try out Kokoro Connect. Its a great show, plus best girl has cemented herself as best girl period. No spoilers anyone, let cornbread watch it!

Gargantia had so much potential if they actually upped the animation a little more and provided more emotion into the story. Personally it was a 7/10, which should garner it a season 2. Blood+ (hopefully not the horrible 13 episode one...) was actually really good from what I remember as a teenager watching adult swim, show had depth and character growth by quite a large margin.

So what's the difference between Brotherhood and the original FMA? I wanna pick the show back up since I left it as a kid, had to leave for vacation and DR didn't have any english channels ;_;

FMA first series diverges from the manga more and was done before it was finished, Brotherhood is a straight adaptation.

If you are asking which one is better in here, you are wanting bloodshed.

NeoForte

.Hack//Signs was continued with the video games and manga that came out afterwards

.Hack//Signs was continued with the video games and manga that came out afterwards

.hack is an interesting case in that it was actually planned as a multimedia franchise from the start.

But SIGN also resolved the story that it was telling, which was a very personal one about the characters. The games continued the story of the World, but Tsukasa's story was all resolved within the show.

Gargantia season 2 got canned? That's a shame. I would have like to see it continue in animated form.

jgminto

FMA first series diverges from the manga more and was done before it was finished, Brotherhood is a straight adaptation.

Just watch the original first. Whatever people think of the story divergences futher in, early story moments are done so much better in the original. Brotherhood does a terrible job introducing characters and rushes through story events that were extremely well done previously.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'm gonna start watching Nisekoi, wish me luck everyone. I dropped the manga cause of how dumb it got with introducing new girls whenever it got the chance.

I'll keep that in mind lol, I'll watch Brotherhood since I basically know what happens throughout the entire thing.

Just watch the original first. Whatever people think of the story divergences futher in, early story moments are done so much better in the original. Brotherhood does a terrible job introducing characters and rushes through story events that were extremely well done previously.

Why can't anything ever be done correctly? ;_;

Brotherhood has some nice moments, mainly in the middle, but the original FMA anime is definitely where it's at. Such a superior story construction and direction overall. Instead of watching Brotherhood, you should just watch Code:Breaker, Yasuhiro Irie's masterpiece.

Jintor

For some reason that really did piss me off yesterday and I was actually kinda upset about it. The perfect ending was around the 10 mark, when they
came home for dinner
. The credits should have just rolled there. The rest of it was complete horse crap and still doesn't make sense. The only thought that came to mind was the conversation they had about
Having a proper wedding with both their families involved instead of eloping
If that was the case, the author or the director did a horrible job. I honestly think that ending pissed me off more than School Days, lol.

In the original LN,
it's only a 3-month break instead of a one-year break. I understand where they were coming from but it was a terrible decision that really spoils the flow of the ending. You get a good locker scene out of it though.

It's been a long long time since I've read anything other than a strategy guide, ya know, lol. I tend to get bored much quicker...

You can get through manga so much faster than anime though lol

Cornbread78

You are going to love this show man, plus try out Kokoro Connect. Its a great show, plus best girl has cemented herself as best girl period. No spoilers anyone

I got to ep. 10 of SNAFU with the conversation with Yuk's sis and suddenly the tone has completely changed about everything now that school is back in session... I don't like this feeling, dammit. Yuk didn't lie, she just didn't say anything so she wouldn't be hated.. oh well, back to work for the home stretch. ..

Crocodile

There are absolutely things the first FMA anime does better than Brotherhood (making it a worthwhile and enjoyable watch) but I still disagree with those who think the 03' series is overall a better work than Brotherhood especially given how the 03' series falls apart near the end. I say this as someone who has never read a page of the FMA manga for what its worth.

cajunator

Banned
I got to ep. 10 of SNAFU with the conversation with Yuk's sis and suddenly the tone has completely changed about everything now that school is back in session... I don't like this feeling, dammit. Yuk didn't lie, she just didn't say anything so she wouldn't be hated.. oh well, back to work for the home stretch. ..

Watch Kokoro Connect. It has Inaban in it.

Cornbread78

In the original LN,
it's only a 3-month break instead of a one-year break. I understand where they were coming from but it was a terrible decision that really spoils the flow of the ending. You get a good locker scene out of it though.

What was that scene there for? Nothing was even really said, it was so open ended and useless.
Was that her signal that she was ready to make good on their promise?

Don't kill me, but who is that, lol?

Jintor

What was that scene there for? Nothing was even really said, it was so open ended and useless.
Was that her signal that she was ready to make good on their promise?

It was a callback
to the first time they 'met' (not literally but the time when the story kicked off)

I don't know what you mean by useless. Open-ended, sure.

My main problem is that to get that scene they had to introduce a last-minute thing after the drama of the series had already been showed to introduce a new drama and then resolve it in like five minutes. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Cornbread78

It was a callback
to the first time they 'met' (not literally but the time when the story kicked off)

I don't know what you mean by useless. Open-ended, sure.

My main problem is that to get that scene they had to introduce a last-minute thing after the drama of the series had already been showed to introduce a new drama and then resolve it in like five minutes. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Oh I hear ya there, with that whole sequence following "the return," however, I'm trying to get in the writer's head I guess and figure out wtf he was trying to do with that very last scene.. Oh well, I guess a good love story ending in an anime series is almost impossible. Kirito/Asuna (S1 at least), Senjougahara/Araragi, and then.....

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Yeah the show has a really nice organic feel to it, unlike with other animes where shifts in tone can sometimes be done horribly and confuse the reader, snafu just deepends the story and shows that everyone is human, some days are good, others are bad and that's reflected in the writing and gestures of the characters.

There are absolutely things the first FMA anime does better than Brotherhood (making it a worthwhile and enjoyable watch) but I still disagree with those who think the 03' series is overall a better work than Brotherhood especially given how the 03' series falls apart near the end. I say this as someone who has never read a page of the FMA manga for what its worth.

The manga is levels ahead on both anime's from what I've seen. The only reason I would actually say the anime's are better is because the fights are actually animated and sparkly. Other than that, stick to the manga cause it is beautifully written.

why the fuck did you spoil it?!?!?! CORNBREAD MUST BE TESTED TO SEE IF HE IS WORTHY!

Mature

Brotherhood has some nice moments, mainly in the middle, but the original FMA anime is definitely where it's at. Such a superior story construction and direction overall. Instead of watching Brotherhood, you should just watch Code:Breaker, Yasuhiro Irie's masterpiece.
I've seen high praise for Code:Breaker in the past, but certainly not that high. I'll throw it on the pile.

Jintor

Oh I hear ya there, with that whole sequence following "the return," however, I'm trying to get in the writer's head I guess and figure out wtf he was trying to do with that very last scene.. Oh well, I guess a good love story ending in an anime series is almost impossible. Kirito/Asuna (S1 at least), Senjougahara/Araragi, and then.....

Well I mean obviously the main thing the author was mainly doing was "wouldn't it be cool if we do a riff on the first scene where their relationship really begins to signify that their relationship is beginning again", except to get there they had to bend the story like a pretzel. Bzzt.

You've a point though - I don't necessarily watch a lot of romance stories anyway (I find it near impossible to find a series where I like both of the main characters) but almost all of them have had something off about the ending. My Little Monster's manga ends pretty good, but I have some issues with the beginning, so...

I don't know why you keep saying Kirito/Asuna are a great love story haha, but I guess I shouldn't bring up SAO in an unrelated context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom