• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baalzebup

So my students drew Mikasa from Attack on Titan on the board.

I'm okay with that. They have teenage taste in anime.

but i will fucking blacklist the first class to soil my chalkboard with Saber so help me God

Saber is fine. Leave the King of Knights-Tan alone, you monster.

cajunator

Banned
Hell yeah!

Its so pretty!
LqCFcdt.jpg

Nisekoi 2 3
I remember this arc in the manga. it was good and this seems to be a pretty good adaptation

Food Wars 4
The cooking is still pretty cool and the other cast members seem fun

phaze

Cause its awesome... I know the want isn't there but man would it be awesome to see it again in glorious Blu-ray. Re-drawn and everything.

I watched 3 episodes and they were awful, gosaru.

Thoughts on Claymore? I'm having a Berserk itch, and this looks to have a similar setting. On the other hand, maybe it's just time for a re-watch.

Watch Shigurui, it's like Berserk.

But actually good.

I'm not reading the manga. How many good arcs can we expect to be adapted in season 2?
Any story development?
Define story development.

(Response to the question).
But no. Nothing major will happen.

Watch Shigurui, it's like Berserk.

But actually good.

Are you saying Berserk isn't good? The Golden Age arc anyways? (TV series/Manga, dunno about the movies).

No idea what Shigurui is, but I've that's better than Berserk I'll have to give it a go. Though, I think recalling you didn't see anything special in Griffith...

edit: Shigurui's premise sounds kinda generic but it has Madhouse going for it and execution is king after all.

Westlo

*starts listening to X Original Soundtrack Teaser*

First two teasers are pretty standard for Sawano these days, I can dig that....

*third teaser song starts up*

holeup.png

MonoX is pretty ace.

Wait wtf, did they seriously just preview 6 vocal songs in a row?

scusthov.gif

Fucking Sawano, he should remember that the reason he got big in the first place was bgm like On Your Mark not this vocal song shit.

Holy fuck some of these vocals are terrible, really hope the rest of Legendoor step up to the plate in regards to bgm.

Yeah the problem with Sawano is that he doesn't have variety in his OSTs. I mean most of his OSTs sound the same. Though I'm not saying it's complete shit it's just it lacks diversity.

I actually really like his Seven Deadly Sins score because it tries a few new things as well as being a tad more understated than what he usually puts out. Was also nice that it only had 2 vocal songs made for it (and the second was just a remix of the first anyway) which were both only used once over the 24 episodes. Compare that to how much his vocal songs get spammed in Aldnoah.....

That's nice to hear. How well did the first season adapt the manga. Did they skip over a lot of fun arcs?

No. They adapted it pretty decently. There weren't that many good arcs in the beginning. I guess the play arc (season 1's finale) and Tsugumi's introduction were the only particularly fun ones that were in those chapters. After the mother arc, the next decent one doesn't really come until Haru's introduction which is a bit away

Cornbread78

No. They adapted it pretty decently. There weren't that many good arcs in the beginning. I guess the play arc (season 1's finale) and Tsugumi's introduction were the only particularly fun ones that were in those chapters. After the mother arc, the next decent one doesn't really come until Haru's introduction which is a bit away

The second sEason is already starting off much better than the first. Is there any no ugh material for an S3, or will S2 finish up the story?

Jex

But isn't this exactly what they want? More threads instead of mega communities?

Yeah, not quite. Anime threads in general (whether they be show specific, or what have you) certainly make sense because they're actual about something, such as a specific show or news about a studio.

Recommendation threads are just what happens when people believe they don't have access to enough information about a subject. They signify some kind of problem.

In reality, of course, people could just search the archives for one of the many recommendation threads, or the anime advice threads, or just ask in here. Time period specific threads, and top anime threads, are also good resources. Yet people still create more of those threads. I'm sure that part of the reason why such threads are created is because people aren't aware of 1) this thread in community and 2) the rich history of anime threads available in the archive.

Moreover, even when we had a thread in the OT, usually near the top of the list of threads, we still got recommendation threads. Just not as many we do now.

phaze

Are you saying Berserk isn't good? The Golden Age arc anyways? (TV series/Manga, dunno about the movies).

No idea what Shigurui is, but I've that's better than Berserk I'll have to give it a go. Though, I think recalling you didn't see anything special in Griffith...

edit: Shigurui's premise sounds kinda generic but it has Madhouse going for it and execution is king after all.

I didn't care much for either Berserk or Griffith specifically so yeah, I found Shig much better.

LPPM6wO.png

Not exactly what I want setting wise. I'll check it out I guess, to see how wrong you are.
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Just so we're clear, it's a slow going show and in the beginning especially so. It's full of gore and nudity. Also just like in Berserk, for continuation of the story you'll have to go to (finished) manga.

In the span of two days, I've made 3 people watch Sigurui. In heaven or hell, there is surely a reward for that.

The second sEason is already starting off much better than the first. Is there any no ugh material for an S3, or will S2 finish up the story?

Manga has 168 chapters as of now and I think the first 20 episodes adapted only ~50 chapters. Given that this one is only one cour long(12 eps) so far, they will have a lot of material left.

Puruzi

Banned

The manga isn't even finished, there's no story to finish up. And I don't even think that season 2 will catch up to the manga, so there might be a s3

wonzo

Banned
Yeah, not quite. Anime threads in general (whether they be show specific, or what have you) certainly make sense because they're actual about something, such as a specific show or news about a studio.

Recommendation threads are just what happens when people believe they don't have access to enough information about a subject. They signify some kind of problem.

In reality, of course, people could just search the archives for one of the many recommendation threads, or the anime advice threads, or just ask in here. Time period specific threads, and top anime threads, are also good resources. Yet people still create more of those threads. I'm sure that part of the reason why such threads are created is because people aren't aware of 1) this thread in community and 2) the rich history of anime threads available in the archive.

Moreover, even when we had a thread in the OT, usually near the top of the list of threads, we still got recommendation threads. Just not as many we do now.
The simple solution would be a rule asking to do a search before making a recommendation thread first but that'll never happen.

Jex

The simple solution would be a rule asking to do a search before making a recommendation thread first but that'll never happen.

Well, officially people are supposed to read OP's before responding to threads as well, but we all know that's a pipedream!

Seraph of the End Episode 4
CDcZJoJUsAAjjlP.jpg
CDcaS_JUsAIaG-v.jpg

Kimizuki is finally here. He and Yu make many of the funniest moments of the series and though he is a big meanie at first, both are kind of perfectly aligned to be the same.

This is really miles above everything else for best anime. The ost is perfect and the visuals are to die for.

ALso I just realized its called the Apocalypse Virus which sounds similar to the writers Mokushiroku Arisu with that maze making little girl killing diseases.

Theonik

It already exists for news/op-ed's so I can't see why it doesn't apply to reccomendation or LTTP threads honestly.

Touche.
My point is people still make the thread anyway with disclaimers.

Well, officially people are supposed to read OP's before responding to threads as well, but we all know that's a pipedream!
Not that it would help when you have the post made by the time you finish reading the title!

Jex

Just so we're clear, I understand people's desire to create recommendation threads in general. There aren't many reliable source of information (outside very niche sites like AniPages etc) about what shows are good and there's dozens of new shows out every season. I get why you'd decide that the best way to get information is by creating a new thread.

There are, however, much better ways, to about the whole thing. Ideally you should do it in a way that knowledge builds upon further knowledge. For example, when people take time to create large threads on a specific time period (Retro Anime, Post 2000's anime etc) that should become a new resource for everyone else to use and refer other users towards in the future.

Ideally this thread should act in the same way, except that the way information is stored here is through retention of knowledgeable users who can then advise and inform others on topics like magic girl shows, or shounen shows, or retro anime. Of course such a resource is very variable because as soon as people leave the thread it loses those resources permanently.

cj_iwakura

Just so we're clear, I understand people's desire to create recommendation threads in general. There aren't many reliable source of information (outside very niche sites like AniPages etc) about what shows are good and there's dozens of new shows out every season. I get why you'd decide that the best way to get information is by creating a new thread.

There are, however, much better ways, to about the whole thing. Ideally you should do it in a way that knowledge builds upon further knowledge. For example, when people take time to create large threads on a specific time period (Retro Anime, Post 2000's anime etc) that should become a new resource for everyone else to use and refer other users towards in the future.

Ideally this thread should act in the same way, except that the way information is stored here is through retention of knowledgeable users who can then advise and inform others on topics like magic girl shows, or shounen shows, or retro anime. Of course such a resource is very variable because as soon as people leave the thread it loses those resources permanently.

This thread does tend to heavily skew towards recent/modern shows, so I could see it as daunting to someone looking for info on classics.

Theonik

dPPe6nl.png

Jex

This thread does tend to heavily skew towards recent/modern shows, so I could see it as daunting to someone looking for info on classics.
Sure, although in the past (not that you'd know from looking) we've certainly had plenty of people discuss classic anime in here, especially during slower seasons.

Really, it's one of the reasons that I kindly request/suggest that this post http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131914469&postcount=4290 be incorporated into OP's to give people some clue about what we do and where else you can go to find more information.

Cornbread78

Screw that, they need to man up and face the gauntlet like me; School Days and all, lol. I've been on these boards for a long time now, so community OT's are seriously almost always the best places to get information.

Seraph of the End - 04

Shinoa has her moments, I'd prefer if she was the MC honestly. I think it'd more fun than the current one. When he tried to go alpha on the class I cringed. Muh revenge. Pink dude seems like he could be interesting.
Oh and the "fight" in the beginning. Man am I tired of seeing a bored looking guy defeating his enemy with a few slashes, and have his back against the opponent like he's too cool to look at explosions while it dies.
Show so far is mediocre at best, and I'm rooting for the vampires to slay them all but Shinoa.
Background dump

cj_iwakura

Sure, although in the past (not that you'd know from looking) we've certainly had plenty of people discuss classic anime in here, especially during slower seasons.

I think it's pretty telling how much discussion modern shows generate versus, say, that massive post about Do You Remember Love and stuff about UY/BGC. I don't mind per se, but sometimes classics don't feel as much of a hot topic here.

PK Gaming

Really, it's one of the reasons that I kindly request/suggest that this post http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131914469&postcount=4290 be incorporated into OP's to give people some clue about what we do and where else you can go to find more information.

The first link in your post leads to a dead thread

Jex

The first link in your post leads to a dead thread

Yeah, I know, but because the thread is locked I can't fix that post. The same information can be found here http://pastebin.com/kN4CQRX1
I think it's pretty telling how much discussion modern shows generate versus, say, that massive post about Do You Remember Love and stuff about UY/BGC. I don't mind per se, but sometimes classics don't feel as much of a hot topic here.
Sometimes it's just a matter of timing and general exposure. For example, I know a lot of people in this thread probably haven't seen any Macross, so they clearly need to be sold on it a little before any discussion till take place.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I know, but because the thread is locked I can't fix that post.

Sometimes it's just a matter of timing and general exposure. For example, I know a lot of people in this thread probably haven't seen any Macross, so they clearly need to be sold on it a little before any discussion till take place.

I watched all of Macross last year, and while I didn't dislike it, I didn't find it especially great either. It had its moments.

DYRL, however, is a masterwork. I think Macross did the story better, but the visuals in DYRL, my god. Send a poet.

Theonik

People keep saying that but they misunderstand the idea of organic threads. If you want to talk about any of these shows, you are free to. At any time. Doesn't have to be a topic for discussion. Like these posters posting about DYRL. They just... Did.

cj_iwakura

People keep saying that but they misunderstand the idea of organic threads. If you want to talk about any of these shows, you are free to. At any time. Doesn't have to be a topic for discussion. Like these posters posting about DYRL. They just... Did.

I know, but it's kind of cool to see the unfamiliar react. I was hoping those DYRL pics would drop some jaws and lure in new viewers.

Theonik

I know, but it's kind of cool to see the unfamiliar react. I was hoping those DYRL pics would drop some jaws and lure in new viewers.
It's a movie tied to a long franchise. Actually the point still stands. You need to put in the work if you want people to watch things you like.
New things get more exposure because they are current and people put them in their routine.

Jex

I watched all of Macross last year, and while I didn't dislike it, I didn't find it especially great either. It had its moments.

DYRL, however, is a masterwork. I think Macross did the story better, but the visuals in DYRL, my god. Send a poet.
That's a really tricky one for me. SDF Macross is one of the most uneven shows I've ever watched that isn't say, a long running shounen anime. The difference between it's dizzying highs and unbearable lows is enough to make you forget you're even watching the same series.

On an emotional level, I really appreciate how the show handles all the character relationships and the weird directions the plot takes but, as you note, the movie is visual delight. I honestly wouldn't want to experience one without the other considering how little of the core plot is left within the movie.

However, it's really hard to suggest people watch an old mecha show, especially one with as many rough spots (and uneven pacing) as the original Macross so, in general, I'd tell people to watch DYRL and if they like that then recommend the show.

They might have well have done, you just don't know. Lots of people read but don't post, or don't post much. I imagine someone will have checked it out based on looking at those screenshots even if they don't post about it.

God's work. Thanks.

I guess I'll stick around a bit closer to provide that Magical Girl Hellsensus or something.

Still expanding that field ever so slowly.

And even those that have might not say anything. I read that post, enjoyed it, but didn't bump it just to say good job. Long posts like that are enjoyable to read, but not always easy to respond to or start a discussion off of.

Jex

I guess I'll stick around a bit closer to provide that Magical Girl Hellsensus or something.

Still expanding that field ever so slowly.

I still have so much Doremi to watch, for my sins. One day I'll get around to those other seasons. One day...
And even those that have might not say anything. I read that post, enjoyed it, but didn't bump it just to say good job. Long posts like that are enjoyable to read, but not always easy to respond to or start a discussion off of.
Exactly, that's how I felt upon finishing it. A solid summation of what makes the movie worth watching but not anything I can really add to.

Baalzebup

Yup. I've only seen bits and pieces of the others, but I watched all of Macross Frontier and really liked it. One of my favourite mecha series, really. However, those kind of megaposts don't usually feel compelling to reply to. Too many points to address if you aren't keen on spending a lot of time on it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone listen to the ANN interview with the Aniplex marketing guy? The description mentions that their pricing comes up, and I'm interested to hear how they spin the higher prices.

I hope it's something like "We charge a premium because we believe our fans demand the highest quality from us."

I am gonna start watching eureka 7. what should I expect?
cosmicblizzard to have a meltdown. Then many other people to have a meltdown over the fact that Eureka AO exists.

(It's an okayish mecha-surfing shounen science fiction show)

Narag

I did my part. TUSR let us down yet again.

cj_iwakura

Yup. I've only seen bits and pieces of the others, but I watched all of Macross Frontier and really liked it. One of my favourite mecha series, really. However, those kind of megaposts don't usually feel compelling to reply to. Too many points to address if you aren't keen on spending a lot of time on it.

Macross Plus was only four episodes, and I loved it. Not much plot, but the visuals, wow.

tumblr_n8as2cvYtF1s5oxc0o1_500.gif

And watch the original dub! Bryan Cranston(!!) is the lead.

Anyone listen to the ANN interview with the Aniplex marketing guy? The description mentions that their pricing comes up, and I'm interested to hear how they spin the higher prices.

I hope it's something like "We charge a premium because we believe our fans demand the highest quality from us."

Aniplex pricing up? Soon bear and cajun will be their only two customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom