• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCChappy

Banned
Both Amagi Brilliant Park and Free! are bad and I've heard similar things for Kyoukai no Kanata.

I couldn't stand Free! but I was gonna check out Amagi just for the hell of it. Is it just plain bad?

EDIT: Sorry about the double post. The trackpad on my MacBook is going a bit haywire.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I couldn't stand Free! but I was gonna check out Amagi just for the hell of it. Is it just plain bad?

EDIT: Sorry about the double post. The trackpad on my MacBook is going a bit haywire.

why not watch something good instead of something that might possibly not be bad?

Amagi is mediocre but it's better then some of the other stuff KyoAni has done lately.

Can't comment on Free! though.

phaze

I liked it. Decent most of the time with a really good ending.

GrandHusk

I mean, I'm just looking for stuff to watch. If there's a chance I might enjoy a series then I'll check it out.
The show is nothing especial... but at least I enjoyed it from start to finish.

She made TUSR use an avatar in less than a week :D
ofEu1xZ.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
While not the greatest, the production values were the least of its worries in my opinion. The problem was adapting a garbage LN and all that entails that.

Obviously I can't attest to the quality of the LN, as I don't speak Japanese and it's not translated, but I thought the staff did a fairly great job with the comedy. The dramatic moments are iffier but the show doesn't get bogged down in drama bullshit like so many of KyoAni's recent works, for example Kyoukai no Kanata or Chuu22. It largely stays light and works for that reason. In fact from what I know about the first volume of the LN ending, the staff somewhat improved on the ending although I kinda do like the LN ending.

Considering so much shit I've watched and read coming out of light novels, I've found it to be by far on the better side.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep, everyone not working on the shit you like, is dead inside. That's gotta be it man.
You tell me that there's craft in using the same stock CG animation then. Or the fact that the writers are using the laziest jokes that make Chuck Lorre and his team sound like comedic geniuses. Saekano is the very definition of a tie-in anime, complete with an ending that basically says "Go buy the books!".

Mononoke 6-7 Faceless Monster

Well this show just continues to be bloody sublime. I'm actually flabbergasted at how much I'm enjoying what, at its heart, is still a monster of t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶e̶k̶ an arc show but the expert way it's written, told and shown is just too good.

Well, it's a monster of the week show in quotes, I would say. It's really a character drama, the monster of the week part is usually put to start the plot rolling.

Grzi

Nanatsu no Taizai

In the end this show wasn't bad at all. The animation was mostly awful and the fanservice got out of hand a few times, but other than that it was pretty fun. The pacing in particular was great. Too bad they'll probably have to stretch stuff out for the next season, once it happens.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Does anyone have hope for this brass band K-On thing?

I do. Ultimategax post convince me to give it a watch
Maybe because they've got better material to animate than a spinoff Kadokawa's promoting the manga for since Tanigawa can't write any novels now.

And yes, the first Euphonium novel is better than the Yuki-chan manga, having read both. Granted, most opinions here tend to differ from mine, but I doubt people will differ on this one.

If you want a long answer regarding the state of Kyoto Animation now, I wrote a post detailing how they've evolved from a group of painters to a studio that's acquiring content and leading committees unlike other studios like Bones and IG. In short, they've got a new business model that increased their profits quite a lot over the past two years since they've stopped being an mere animation studio. There's no reason to go back to doing what Kadokawa/TBS want them to do (though there are connections still present for the pervert Gatou to get his new stuff animated).

Obviously I can't attest to the quality of the LN, as I don't speak Japanese and it's not translated, but I thought the staff did a fairly great job with the comedy. The dramatic moments are iffier but the show doesn't get bogged down in drama bullshit like so many of KyoAni's recent works, for example Kyoukai no Kanata or Chuu22. It largely stays light and works for that reason. In fact from what I know about the first volume of the LN ending, the staff somewhat improved on the ending although I kinda do like the LN ending.

Considering so much shit I've watched and read coming out of light novels, I've found it to be by far on the better side.

Well I recall several previews that warned about Amagi being simply another bad LN and considering what we got I'm rather inclined to believe that. The direction and production quality overall seemed perfectly fine to me. The writing was all around garbage... 1/10th of the jokes worked somewhat for me.

Cornbread78

Log Horizon s2 -END-

Man holy fuck. This show is so fucking good when you marathon it (it's pretty good regardless but that last mini-arc in particular was fantastic). So much shit constantly happening and not in a "Where the fuck did that come from?" kind of way. The action for the final episode was actually kind of great and yet the radio conversation and the brief shots of the end almost surpassed it in WHAM factor. What is up with this world? It's been two seasons and they've provided answers and I'm still asking these questions! And that's really exciting!

Log Horizon, you've got some issues, but I'm really, really glad you exist. God, I hope we get a third season.

Time to buy all the light novels and learn japanese i guess

Yeah, there is soo mush potential left in that world, and they left it with a brand new Arc. It could be years before we soo more, but they did leave that message to their fans thatthey would resume work on the series once the source material caught up.... It will probably be years from now...

Jex

Kimi ni Todoke 1-3

Really liking this one so far. Everything's cute and the characters themselves are believable. I like how nothing has felt over-the-top or unrealistic yet. It seems like everything will take a while to develop, but I prefer that over it being instant. Looking forward to watching more.

Really enjoyed the show, the guy will end up being "too perfect", but that's to be expected.
Who are these people??

More seriously, I feel that firehawk12 explicitly defended the guy as not being "too perfect", but I disagreed. He's basically Mr. Slightly Less Than Perfect.

Jex

Memories: Magnetic Rose
So I decided to watch on the Memories anthology, and watched the first one Magnetic Rose. It's really good! It's like a sci fi version of the sirens from Greek mythology, with the space junk salvagers being the unsuspecting sailors responding to an SOS signal. It gets them to a place that looks like a giant floating junk in which people actually lived a long time ago.
From there it seems the space station has a mind of its own as it tries to keep them voluntarily trapped there. The computer system has a monstrous presence in the film, as it can create beautiful illusions that underneath look like horrific constructs. While I wouldn't call it scary it does give that horror vibe, as it looks like the salvagers were constantly being watched and messed with, and there were the soundtrack dissonance.
Unsurprisingly, a lot of it is relevant to memories, in this case escaping into idealized memories of the past after grief. It also tells some of the story by implication.
For example, they don't outright say it but it seems Heinz's kid actually died by falling from the roof top, hence why the kid was presented as a great temptation for him.
As for the visuals and animation what can I say other than it looks great and of course can't ignore the rose motifs. (unfortunately translating what I like about the visuals and direction into words has always been something I am bad with)

Gotta say, I am glad I started following AnimeGAF. Wouldn't have come across it in a million years if it weren't for this forum.
I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, but I find it odd that Magnetic Rose doesn't have some cache in wider anime circles. I mean, it does have Satoshi Kon's name attached to it.

Cornbread78

Yona of the Dawn Ep. 2-10

This is a good story so far. I'm sure it has some cliche' stuff build in that I cannot recognize yet, but the adventure and humor built into story it has been a very good watch so far. I can;t read where the story is going quite yet, so that drawing me into the story as well. MAybe we;ll see a growign romance here as well, btu until she gets rid of that hair ornament, I don't see that happening. Hopefully, she uses that to kill the bastard that gave it to her later in the story.

ibyea

Banned
I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, but I find it odd that Magnetic Rose doesn't have some cache in wider anime circles. I mean, it does have Satoshi Kon's name attached to it.

Yeah, how come I found out about it only when I came to AnimeGAF?! Such injustice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How can you judge anything anymore!
Pfff. lol
Maybe I'm the hipster who likes uncompleted anime or something.

Hanada so no.

That said, you liked Kancolle so...
Knacolle is a special beast though. lol

I do. I mean, from what I've seen of the PV and from what was discussed earlier in the thread about it, it looks pretty good.
I do. Ultimategax post convince me to give it a watch
Amagi Park was the first KyoAni show that I just dropped out of apathy, but I still want to like their shows. If they're just turning into an adaptation factory though, I'm not sure if there's much of a point.

Who are these people??

More seriously, I feel that firehawk12 explicitly defended the guy as not being "too perfect", but I disagreed. He's basically Mr. Slightly Less Than Perfect.
Compare that show to pretty much every other shoujo though. Usually the character flaws are deep, dark secrets that are revealed so that the heroine can mother the protagonist for a while. In KnT, he is basically a bit of a dick... which is revelation by comparison. lol

I would say Say I Love You is probably the only other shoujo that tries to keep things a bit grounded in terms of how the men in the universe are depicted.

Mature

I should hatewatch it sometime. If I don't get bored during it that is.
...I didn't like Hyouka >.>

Thought it was boring and the characters unlikable.
So this is what it's like on the other side.

I have a hard time thinking of better Sci-fi in anime than Magnetic Rose. At least, for that particular brand of Sci-fi.

Vito

Banned
Might be fake? No one has reported on it yet.

Tweet looks old, or rather, should have been reported somewhere by now unless S2 was really that terrible and people just want to forget it.

New Steins;Gate anime?

Yes.

You tell me that there's craft in using the same stock CG animation then. Or the fact that the writers are using the laziest jokes that make Chuck Lorre and his team sound like comedic geniuses. Saekano is the very definition of a tie-in anime, complete with an ending that basically says "Go buy the books!".

So just because YOU don't like something, everyone working on it surely must be miserable. Also I don't have my head shoved so far up my ass to get delusional by the smell of my own shit, anime is entertainment, majority of it is not some high brow artistic stuff.

I'll wasting my lifeforce if responding everytime firehawk made post like that.

fml.

Midonin

Yurikuma 12 + Utena Apocalypse Arc

And so, on today, I finish watching the first of the Ikuhara three, and also his latest. The differences between the shows is pretty stark, but some similarities and themes can be drawn too. Like both of them
having the main heroine sacrifice herself, yet still inspiring others afterwards.
I do wonder what made Ikuhara decide to go with guns for Yurikuma, since I read the reason he went with swords for Utena is because of all the gun violence from America that was being reported on TV.

In both series, the ones who orchestrated the entire thing -
Akio and "normal" society
- keep on running along, but have been drained of their power by others realizing that they don't have to follow along. And plenty of symbolism. While YKA does have the compression of only getting to be one cour, both of them were very interesting works, and cement Ikuhara as someone whose work I'll always be interested in checking out. And not just because he likes yuri.

Which reminds me, today is the day that S begins streaming on Hulu....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom