• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I absolutely adored most of the film. Many, many emotions were felt haha. Mononoke is still the top Ghibli film I've watched so far though. It would probably go (from what I have watched)

1. Princess Mononoke
2. Nausicaa (I have the manga box set and need to get around to reading it)
3. My Neighbor Totoro
4. From Up On Poppy Hill
105. Howl's Moving Castle (bleh)

I'm going to be watching Spirited Away as one of the films in my film class, so I'm pretty excited for that!

Watch The Count of Cagliostro.

Mature

Kaitou JOKER - 9
Glad I decided to pick this back up.
rpXcdFB.jpg
sA7AjtJ.png

lz1OJck.jpg
rVZPHbg.jpg
Its maintained its really refreshing visual style well. This episode even had some good looking swordplay. And having Dai Sato and Kimiko Ueno behind all the scripts has kept it equal parts fun and actually sorta tense/interesting. What did Watanabe say to Sato when he was penning his Dandy episodes? Lighten up? Yeah, some pretty grim back stories in here. On the whole its still very kids show-y though, which I think is how I prefer it. Hoping to get caught up for the new season

Blusby

Junketsu no Maria (Fin): Cool series though I felt that it had a few slips in getting across its message(s) and didn't in the end come off as strong as it could have been but it was a worthwhile series nonetheless.

Yoru no Yatterman (Fin): Thank goodness this crap is over.

Koufuku Graffiti END

It makes me sad to see this anime end, I was expecting a final episode next week and didn't know it would only be 12 episode long.

I enjoyed it far more than it probably deserves, but this anime was so adorable all the damn time, I'm going to miss Ryou, Kirin, and Shiina soooo much.

Soriku

Anyone been following Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler): Book of Murder? Episode 2 is god-tier. Love how profound every ending to each arc is in this series.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 92:

So after some waiting, they have finally arrived into full view, ladies and gentlemen, this first couple of yuridom, Haruka Tenoh and Michiru Kaioh. I have been thinking a lot about these two knowing that their proper debut was coming up and addressing the following with no real amount of hyperbole but this relationship is one of the most important to not just say Sailor Moon and not just to anime but to all of fiction in general. A heady statement perhaps but certainly one with merit given how much of a watershed moment this was and still is. Yes, yuri shows and manga had existed since the 1970s and the anime world had already seen properties like Rose of Versailles and Oniisama e for example and this was clearly building off those earlier works but this is relationship that got pushed into the mainstream and probably the most shocking thing about it is how little fanfare there was surrounding things. Still, these two have gone on to exert an incalculable amount of influence on romance in anime and was really ahead of the curve given that Western animation has only recently begun its flirtations into the LBGT sector some two decades later.

Anyway, so that is some of the grand metatextual background but what about the episode itself? Well, as it happens, it is a damn fine episode, whomever said Sailor Moon R was the best season, I can not agree to this. Three episodes in and I am already enjoying Super so much more then R.
It isn't just the absence of Chibi-Usa either or the addition of Korra and Asami here.
Everything feels like it has been elevated to a new level and also they finally found some footing on some characters that even by Sailor Moon R they were still having trouble with. Minako is a prime example; I have lamented how much the 1990s anime series had screwed up on her character and even Crystal could not capture her early greatness as they changes much of her backstory and gave important moments to others. The anime series did however anticipate the direction her character trajectory would take and indeed would do it first with the Nurse Minako episode giving her a bit of a makeover and making her the true ditz of the group. Indeed that characterization has stuck as we have Sailor Moon shunted into the rare role of straight man and foil for Sailor Venus. It is a comedy duo that works out a lot better then I expected. They both go a bit boy crazy after meeting Hakura who is apparently fresh off the set of Brother Dear Brother and a lot of this is taken directly from the manga but quickly goes off into its own direction. We get some establishing facts about Hakura, she once dreamed of being a racer but had to sacrifice this dream for a cause a cause she will given anything towards. Portents of the future, no doubt. Anyway, in short, this was and effective debut for the duo and a damn fine episode, highest recommendation to watch.

ibyea

Banned
Memories: Magnetic Rose
So I decided to watch on the Memories anthology, and watched the first one Magnetic Rose. It's really good! It's like a sci fi version of the sirens from Greek mythology, with the space junk salvagers being the unsuspecting sailors responding to an SOS signal. It gets them to a place that looks like a giant floating junk in which people actually lived a long time ago.
From there it seems the space station has a mind of its own as it tries to keep them voluntarily trapped there. The computer system has a monstrous presence in the film, as it can create beautiful illusions that underneath look like horrific constructs. While I wouldn't call it scary it does give that horror vibe, as it looks like the salvagers were constantly being watched and messed with, and there were the soundtrack dissonance.
Unsurprisingly, a lot of it is relevant to memories, in this case escaping into idealized memories of the past after grief. It also tells some of the story by implication.
For example, they don't outright say it but it seems Heinz's kid actually died by falling from the roof top, hence why the kid was presented as a great temptation for him.
As for the visuals and animation what can I say other than it looks great and of course can't ignore the rose motifs. (unfortunately translating what I like about the visuals and direction into words has always been something I am bad with)

Gotta say, I am glad I started following AnimeGAF. Wouldn't have come across it in a million years if it weren't for this forum.

Vito

Banned
When I imagine what the people working on Saekano must be like when they slave away at their desks, I assume they feel dead inside and are drawing key frames of the girls harassing the hapless protagonist while thinking of their next paycheck or hoping that their studio gets something worthwhile to animate next season.

Yep, everyone not working on the shit you like, is dead inside. That's gotta be it man.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 93:

RIght, so given that Hakura got the spotlight in the last episode, it is only natural that Michiru get her own focus episode next. This time Usagi is feeling like she after feeding Mamoru some shitty and burnt cookies and wants to make an earnest effort to improve herself, of course, this being anime Uasgi, she is a bit of a hot mess that is hard to teach, so her friends just kind of walk away from what would be a waste of time. It is here we learn that Michiru is the artist of the pair, not only an accomplished violinist but also a skill painter, which is a talent I don't think her manga counterpart had. She is unsure of what she wants to be in the future but we get more muttering of a dark path and soon we get the villain of the week and the further establishing of supposedly antagonistic intent on the part of the Outers but it more a narrow focus on a singular goal and a general apathy towards helping the inner scouts so that they can examine the crystals before returning them. It is a bit baffling to the Inners this attitude but it all hints at the darker nature of these two.
I will be honest, there are times that I am surprised that the Inners didn't go all Homura on Sailor Moon and her troupe given the general extremist attitude they display and the destain they have for the Inners
Anyway, recommended episode.

Lain

As I start watching Shirobako 23 I get more and more pissed off about this whole situation.

The idea that an editor can be that much of a piece of shit and that the anime producers have to accept it like that is off-putting. Chazawa deserves a strong reprimand, yet the dude present there at the meeting says nothing about the shitty work he did. He's not only pretty incompetent and an asshole, but he's basically undermining the work that the anime should do for the novels this shitty author is writing, because if the anime sucks it's also bad publicity for the books, not only for the anime studio. And the whole thing about not letting the anime producers talk with the author, not relying info etc, why the fuck isn't he out of a job already?

Jarmel

Banned
As I start watching Shirobako 23 I get more and more pissed off about this whole situation.

The idea that an editor can be that much of a piece of shit and that the anime producers have to accept it like that is off-putting. Chazawa deserves a strong reprimand, yet the dude present there at the meeting says nothing about the shitty work he did. He's not only pretty incompetent and an asshole, but he's basically undermining the work that the anime should do for the novels this shitty author is writing, because if the anime sucks it's also bad publicity for the books, not only for the anime studio. And the whole thing about not letting the anime producers talk with the author, not relying info etc, why the fuck isn't he out of a job already?

It's a pain in the ass to fire someone in Japan.

Lain

It's a pain in the ass to fire someone in Japan.

That sucks then when someone is as bad at their work as Chazawa apparently is.

That said...

Shirobako 23

YES! The start of the episode had me angry but the following events were outstanding and that ending to the episode... so damn fine. I won't have to feel so bad for Shizuka now.

Mitch

Banned
This makes me sad, yet happy. The ending of season 2 left me wanting so much. Being able
to connect both worlds would be an amazing feat for Shiroe.
Also, seeing Crusty alive and well was my favorite part of the last episode by far.

Trying to figure out what to watch next. I recently finished Parastye, Your Lie in April and Say "I love You". May try to wrap up Shirobako and Aldnoah.

Since some people would doubt that Pony Canyon would license Sound Euphonium to their US branch (despite being the only company in the production committee who dabbles in international rights and setting up said subsidiary), their official account tweeted about the preview ANN posted about the series, pretty much confirming the license and a Crunchy simulcast similar to YuYuYu, Denki-gai, and the magical boys show.

Lain

Shirobako 24

That was the perfect ending. It closed everything magnificently. Aoi's speech felt pretty good and seeing everyone at the party gave me a sense of happiness, especially seeing Chazawa in his new role lol.

I'll say that the characters and their interactions have been a pretty big reason for me liking the show this much. The instructive part about what goes on behind the scenes (within limits and with some over the top stuff added to make it more interesting/charming/likable) was nice too, but it's thanks to Aoi, Yano, Kunogi (I loved her scared antics and how only Ema seemed to understand what she wanted to say from pieces of words and movements), Shizuka, Ema, Mi-chan, Rii-chan, Segawa, Okitsu, Kinoshita, Sanae etc that I ended really loving it. It was a seriously nice ensemble of characters.

Hopefully there will be a second season that's just as good, but if there isn't, well at least it ended on a great note.

SCChappy

Banned
Kimi ni Todoke 1-3

Really liking this one so far. Everything's cute and the characters themselves are believable. I like how nothing has felt over-the-top or unrealistic yet. It seems like everything will take a while to develop, but I prefer that over it being instant. Looking forward to watching more.

Josephl64

Kimi ni Todoke 1-3

Really liking this one so far. Everything's cute and the characters themselves are believable. I like how nothing has felt over-the-top or unrealistic yet. It seems like everything will take a while to develop, but I prefer that over it being instant. Looking forward to watching more.

Really enjoyed the show, the guy will end up being "too perfect", but that's to be expected.

cajunator

Banned
Good Luck Girl (aka Binbougami ga) 1-13

Not going to beat around the bush, Good Luck Girl was a great comedy anime. I mean, it was directed by Yoichi Fujita (the guy who directed Gintama) so right off the bat you know you're in for something fun, but man, I didn't think it would be this good. It's essentially about a girl who's been blessed with an inordinate amount good fortune (being lucky is like her superpower), so much so that she ends becoming haunted by a poverty God. Said God points out that her good fortune was a mistake, and that she intends to "collect" it, but the protagonist refuses to give any of it up. (I mean, who would). As the cover implies, Good Luck Girl is primarily about the conflict between the main protagonist and the Poverty God. The premise is pretty basic, but they do so much with it. The main characters are stellar. This is the kind of show lives and dies on its protagonists and they manage be amazing throughout.The jokes are great, and the anime is filled to the brim with hilarious, overt anime references. The supporting cast was also surprisingly strong. Despite introducing a whole bunch of them, the show never really forgets about any of them, which I appreciated.

Good Luck Girl would have been decent anime by virtue of it's comedy alone, but there was a surprising emotion to it. No, really. The anime manages to set itself apart from your standard comedy anime by actually being somewhat poignant. The anime makes no secret of its intentions— the protagonist is lucky, but she's secretly miserable. All of that good fortune made her lucky, but she can barely function as a human being. So when the Poverty God threatens the only good thing she has in her life, she's pretty much forced to change as a person. To that the end, in addition to be comedic, Good Luck is also about the protagonist's growth as a person, and her relationship with people around her.

Good Luck Girl does a fantastic job balancing comedy with drama. I loved the comedy, but it was also pretty gratifying seeing the protagonist steadily become a better person. If you're looking for an anime with tons of comedy, great characters, a plethora of anime references and a surprising amount of heart, then you should definitely give Good Luck Girl a watch.

PS: For those who watched the anime, who was your favorite character and why was it

This series is excellent. One of the funniest in a long time and with a likeable asshole MC to boot. Best girl is Momiji.

wtf, why aren't KyoAnus animating?

They have K-on 3 to worry about.

Anime-GAF

Has bad taste confirmed.

I know. Its obviously Ritsu.

Anastasia

OmakeGifAnime-THEiDOLMSTERCINDERELLAGIRLS-Episode8-AnastasiaBreeze_zps13135301.gif~original

Hnnnnnnnnng

So what is AnimeGAF's con census on Shin Sekai Yori, or From the New World? Is it worth a watch when I'm done with Yona? What is it all about?

SSY is utterly awesome and emotionally involving. It starts out innocently enough but you can tell something is very very wrong with the world and soon enough you find out how wrong it can get. It is very foreboding and casts a really evil pallor over everything. Quite an atmosphere. I was addicted from beginning to end. It also has an incredible soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be0HqIhC48c

Quasar

Kimi ni Todoke 1-3

Yeah. I really liked it. Probably my favourite school romance anime, and was a nice chance of pace from the dicks who seem to be romance leads lately.

cajunator

Banned
Sounds good, I have my next two series mapped out now at least

Yona of the Dawn then From a New World

Also, got to see Cross Ange: #25;End on break and I must say it was a pretty good ending, although you can tell they tried wrapping up the story too quickly to just kill it. I think they could and should do a short film to really close out the series and introduce the
new world to everyone,
but hey, the ending was pretty good over all and was well grounded compared to much of the craziness scene previously in the season....

Looks like youre off to a great start with those two.

Yona of the Dawn-EP1

Damn, this one is going to get interesting now isn't it.. Brutal beginning, but I guess that sets the stage for the rest of the series. Will she learn to love? Will they survive? Will they get revenge? Good artwork and animation so far as well.

Yup. It only gets better.

Shirobako really was the most important anime to air in the last half year.

It was so meta it delayed itself.

Charlotte key visual is now officially up

generic but Ill give it a try. So many ponytails this season.

Memories: Magnetic Rose
So I decided to watch on the Memories anthology, and watched the first one Magnetic Rose. It's really good! It's like a sci fi version of the sirens from Greek mythology, with the space junk salvagers being the unsuspecting sailors responding to an SOS signal. It gets them to a place that looks like a giant floating junk in which people actually lived a long time ago.
From there it seems the space station has a mind of its own as it tries to keep them voluntarily trapped there. The computer system has a monstrous presence in the film, as it can create beautiful illusions that underneath look like horrific constructs. While I wouldn't call it scary it does give that horror vibe, as it looks like the salvagers were constantly being watched and messed with, and there were the soundtrack dissonance.
Unsurprisingly, a lot of it is relevant to memories, in this case escaping into idealized memories of the past after grief. It also tells some of the story by implication.
For example, they don't outright say it but it seems Heinz's kid actually died by falling from the roof top, hence why the kid was presented as a great temptation for him.
As for the visuals and animation what can I say other than it looks great and of course can't ignore the rose motifs. (unfortunately translating what I like about the visuals and direction into words has always been something I am bad with)

Gotta say, I am glad I started following AnimeGAF. Wouldn't have come across it in a million years if it weren't for this forum.

Magnetic rose was written by Satoshi Kon. You should segue from there to his other works, especially Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress.

I hate to say it but it echoes real work environments to a T. I can say this from personal experience for sure. And guess who gets left cleaning up the mess?

What's so bad about KyoAni? (Take note I haven't watched Chuni2, Free!, Hyouka, or Kyoukai no Kanata yet)

and thats exactly why you dont know what we mean yet.
KyoAni has had some inconsistent work lately.

Josephl64

Its really difficult to say. KyoAni has done great adaptations but very clumsy original works.

Kinda sad learning this since it was my most hyped title for this upcoming season.

Anyways I heard Chuni2 was bad, and Hyouka was good...how about the others?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Its really difficult to say. KyoAni has done great adaptations but very clumsy original works.

Man the thread title reminds me of Haruhi which reminds me of S2 which makes me rage.

Never have I felt so much disdain for the creators of a show before. ó_ó

Jintor

Log Horizon s2 -END-

Man holy fuck. This show is so fucking good when you marathon it (it's pretty good regardless but that last mini-arc in particular was fantastic). So much shit constantly happening and not in a "Where the fuck did that come from?" kind of way. The action for the final episode was actually kind of great and yet the radio conversation and the brief shots of the end almost surpassed it in WHAM factor. What is up with this world? It's been two seasons and they've provided answers and I'm still asking these questions! And that's really exciting!

Log Horizon, you've got some issues, but I'm really, really glad you exist. God, I hope we get a third season.

Time to buy all the light novels and learn japanese i guess

Blusby

Kinda sad learning this since it was my most hyped title for this upcoming season.

Anyways I heard Chuni2 was bad, and Hyouka was good...how about the others?

Both Amagi Brilliant Park and Free! are bad and I've heard similar things for Kyoukai no Kanata.

phaze

Her and Ranko are the best. No contest.

---------------------------------

Looks like a Tokyo Ghoul ;re anime (The real continuation of the manga) might have just been announced?

Might be fake? No one has reported on it yet.

CBTfLrOXEAAkvR6.jpg:large

Wouldn't surprise me given how popular the series is.
Aqua post if you are ok

An entire cour of Touka running
a cafe
? Yes please !

Mononoke 6-7 Faceless Monster

Well this show just continues to be bloody sublime. I'm actually flabbergasted at how much I'm enjoying what, at its heart, is still a monster of t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶e̶k̶ an arc show but the expert way it's written, told and shown is just too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom