• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yatterman was one of those complete out of the blue surprises that ended up being probably my favourite show of the season.

As far as original, one off shows go, this will probably end up being the best show of the year barring anything exceptional coming out of left field in the next few seasons.

High praise, given the look of Spring I may have to check it out.

e_i

Rezbian Bear Storm episode 12

Ikuhara, you MAGNIFICENT BASTARD. What an ending. I did not expect that
Sumika was Kumilia, the yuri goddess. Maybe she knows Madokami?
And and we an unexpected pairing with
twin tails and nasty bear.
I guess that Kureha and Ginko
ascended to some other form of existence.
And what was
Lulu at the end with her brother. Did she and he go to the same place that Ginko and Kureha are? Or was the whole anime just a story that Lulu was reading her brother?

Midonin

Nadesico (Everything Else)

I still lack the full context for everything regarding this anime, but it held up pretty well for my first viewing of it. The twists at the end regarding
time travel
were pulled off smoothly enough, and the moment near the end of the series when the Jovians
end up shooting one of their own because Gekiganger has given them a black and white idea of "justice"
was pretty powerful. Like,
they basically killed Gai twice
. A real robot series with super robot spirit - it had a certain lightness to it that makes it feel not so much like a war story at times, while still delivering emotional moments like Ruri's entire episode. Good stuff.

Jex

Nadesico (Everything Else)

I still lack the full context for everything regarding this anime, but it held up pretty well for my first viewing of it. The twists at the end regarding
time travel
were pulled off smoothly enough, and the moment near the end of the series when the Jovians
end up shooting one of their own because Gekiganger has given them a black and white idea of "justice"
was pretty powerful. Like,
they basically killed Gai twice
. A real robot series with super robot spirit - it had a certain lightness to it that makes it feel not so much like a war story at times, while still delivering emotional moments like Ruri's entire episode. Good stuff.

So now you can go watch the movie!

Yuri Kuma 12

This ended on a really nice note. While Kureha kept saying throughout the series that her love was real, I think she only now realized what that actually entails and she finally broke her own mirror.
And while the mob is still caught in its fear and ignorance we see some hope for the future with twintails.

Unfortunately Crunchyroll decided to just not sub the last three line of the episode and instead put "missing line" in its place...
I'll have to check back later if they fix it.

Lesbears 12 END

Y1ppPQJ.jpg

Yeah I'm definitely going to watch Utena and Penguindrum later. This is probably the only show I can think of that I watched where the first 3 episodes didn't deliver and then it all of the sudden became great all the way to the finish. Usually it's the exact opposite. And I liked Madoka before the third episode.

Ending was great, although
not sure how to feel about the Lulu and her Brother scene. I'm just gonna accept they died and it's Bear Heaven or something.

Also I got one question I don't think was resolved...
Who was the guy (I think) who put the principal in a box and clicked his heels together? Was he supposed to be important? Is this an Ikuhara thing?

Eureka Seven - 12-16

Episode 12 and 16 have been my favorites so far. The psychedelic dream sequences are well made and intriguing. Anemone's relation to Eureka and Renton prompts some more question that didn't progress much yet but I'm curious about how all the transparticles, mechs etc. really play together.
Eureka 'Seven' does probably mean it's a model number or some other counter. Anemone may be just a different 'Eureka' and the two of them suffer from, most likely, being imperfect entities, considering the headaches and such.

phaze

Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Watching this so soon after Aldnoah ended might not have been a very good idea. I don't think my brain recovered enough to deal with an even more peculiar brand of insanity that is Gundam Wing. Quick and dirty:

- A 7 year old, genocidal loli sprouts out of nowhere with a plan and resources to conquer the Earth. People listen to her because of reasons and she pulls off her plan in 2 minute long invasion.
- Wu-Fei is still a demented prick.
- Decision making continues to make no sense. Trowa tries to assasinate the villain but instead of being executed he is induced into the ranks of his army, is then caught pretty much red handed sabotaging their actions yet no one gives a shit.
- Wu-Fei is still a brain damaged dick.
- People don't die when they are killed. If they are already kaput, then they rise from the dead because ... also reasons.
- Certain idiot flips from one side to the other in the space of 5 minutes.
- Loads of usual drivel about war&peace.
Edit: -Wing Zero and Duo's Gundam grew out wings because ... once again ,,, reasons. Ruined the look of both of them.

To not be so overwhelmingly negative:
+ Duo is still the best character.
+ It looks pretty good. I suppose it's par for the course in a movie but still.
+ The last 20 minutes are pretty hilarious.
+ Relena doesn't have much screen time
+ Relena resorts to physical violence against a child. RIP total pacifism. That's character development for you !
+ Crazy blond girl shows up for only 2 minutes.
+ From what I can remember, some characters get a better send off and closure than in the TV series.

Overall - good riddance. Gundam Wing is bad for your health.

Jarmel

Banned
Eureka Seven - 12-16

Episode 12 and 16 have been my favorites so far. The psychedelic dream sequences are well made and intriguing. Anemone's relation to Eureka and Renton prompts some more question that didn't progress much yet but I'm curious about how all the transparticles, mechs etc. really play together.
Eureka 'Seven' does probably mean it's a model number or some other counter. Anemone may be just a different 'Eureka' and the two of them suffer from, most likely, being imperfect entities, considering the headaches and such.

I wouldn't read anything into the title.
It refers to an 'alternative ending' that never got made.

Midonin

Cyberteam in Akihabara (Entire Series)

For a magical girl-esque series, only two of the girls - the lead heroine and the mysterious newcomer - ended up actually "transforming". It's more like a monster series crossed with something that resembles Evangelion - and like Utena, it involved a castle in the sky, only
this one was real. I'm not sure what the deal with Takeshi was at the end,
but Hibari's desire to
stay behind, because Akiba at least has the possibility of change, unlike waiting things out in space with Crane
makes sense, even if it felt kinda anticlimactic. All the conspiracy/world history stuff was an interesting angle, but it always felt disconnected from both the trio of villainesses and the Cyberteam. The moments when the villains were by themselves did cast them in a largely positive light, especially compared to Rosenkreuntz. It wasn't really anything like I was expecting it to be, but it did hold my attention. A fascinating product of its era.

e_i

My ranking for winter 2015

1. Shirobako - I mean, duh. The ending of episode 23 cliched the number spot in my book.
2. Your Lie in April - Powerful story, no filler. Fantastic ending.
3. Yuri Kuma Arashi - Technically it's a tie with Your Lie in April, and it's spectacular ending really made up for it's sometimes unlikable characters.
4. Saekano - Megumi made this anime. Best.normal.character.ever.
5. Gourmet Girl Graffiti - Fluffy, sweet, totally likable characters.

Eureka Seven - 12-16

Dominic X Anemone OTP.

Also, you're asking the right questions. If you're enjoying these parts then I've got a feeling that you're going to really like this show.

Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

Overall - good riddance. Gundam Wing is bad for your health.

You might have liked it a bit more if you watched the dub.

Anyways now would be a good time to watch G Gundam.

Yurikuma Arashi 12:
Praise Ikuhara. The show completely nailed the ending. This was a very different episode than I had expected, but everything made sense to me, and the episode did a good job of doing right by both the broader themes of the show as well as the characters.
I choose to interpret the ending credits scene as Lulu being alive because she's the greatest.

I hope that we don't have to wait another three years before we get another Ikuhara show.

e_i

Wow, I forgot that Lulu's brother is named Milne. And he's always has honey. A. A. Milne is the author of the Winnie the Pooh series. I wonder if that's a reference.

Amagi Park was the first KyoAni show that I just dropped out of apathy, but I still want to like their shows. If they're just turning into an adaptation factory though, I'm not sure if there's much of a point.

I don't know what you mean by "adaptation factory". Most of KyoAni's work over their entire existence has been adaptations, including their best work. Munto and Tamako Market are their only completely anime-original works. I guess Free kind of counts too, since the anime serves as a sequel to the original LNs. Sound! Euphonium falls squarely in the sort of thing KyoAni has been doing all along, and will probably be better than all their shows post-Hyouka (not that that's a high bar, but still...) due to the source material if nothing else.

Jex

Wow, I forgot that Lulu's brother is named Milne. And he's always has honey. A. A. Milne is the author of the Winnie the Pooh series. I wonder if that's a reference.

I'd say the changes are astronomically high.

Cornbread78

Yona of the Dawn Ep. 11-16

Ok, I'm getting kind of lost here in these episodes, even all the music has changed... I like orchastrated music for the opening better actually. I undersand they are building the backdrop for the rest of the story, but, just a little slow story wise.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know what you mean by "adaptation factory". Most of KyoAni's work over their entire existence has been adaptations, including their best work. Munto and Tamako Market are their only completely anime-original works. I guess Free kind of counts too, since the anime serves as a sequel to the original LNs. Sound! Euphonium falls squarely in the sort of thing KyoAni has been doing all along, and will probably be better than all their shows post-Hyouka (not that that's a high bar, but still...) due to the source material if nothing else.

I mean specifically dull adaptations with little ambition beyond "sakuga". Like the jump from K-On s1 to s2, where they just went for it after they realized that they had a hit on their hands. Or even Endless Eight, which I still think is amazing after all these years.

Sentai has licensed the rest of Grisaia.
Excellent i guess ??

Yona of the Dawn Ep. 2-10

This is a good story so far. I'm sure it has some cliche' stuff build in that I cannot recognize yet, but the adventure and humor built into story it has been a very good watch so far. I can;t read where the story is going quite yet, so that drawing me into the story as well. MAybe we;ll see a growign romance here as well, btu until she gets rid of that hair ornament, I don't see that happening. Hopefully, she uses that to kill the bastard that gave it to her later in the story.

lol , you shouldn't have seen school days..now your perceptions and your expectations are totally messed up.

Yona of the Dawn Ep. 11-16

Ok, I'm getting kind of lost here in these episodes, even all the music has changed... I like orchastrated music for the opening better actually. I undersand they are building the backdrop for the rest of the story, but, just a little slow story wise.

Indeed , the orchestrated music was better ....but after a while the new music will seem harmless.

Don't get lost you're about to start an awesome arc.. You need to watch it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Just checking in to say nice op. Excited for this season. Last season was kind of a dud for me, only thing I really found really great was Cute High Earth Defense Club Love. So I guess that makes it my favorite show so far this year. Just skimming this thread it doesn't look like many people watched it :(

The finale to this show was easily the best single episode to any show I watched this season too.

Cornbread78

EL
lol , you shouldn't have seen school days..now your perceptions and your expectations are totally messed up.

Indeed , the orchestrated music was better ....but after a while the new music will seem harmless.

Don't get lost you're about to start an awesome arc.. You need to watch it.

Always looking for that twist, lol..

Oh, I will, but they need to chill on the reverse harem stuff they are approaching, lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So just because YOU don't like something, everyone working on it surely must be miserable. Also I don't have my head shoved so far up my ass to get delusional by the smell of my own shit, anime is entertainment, majority of it is not some high brow artistic stuff.
Who are you talking to? I like Kancolle, so perhaps you're up your own ass as well?
Perhaps writing is subjective, even though I think Saekano is a terrible indicator of the "Ready Player One-ization" of contemporary culture, so let's talk about the actual production. Kancolle uses CG and while it still looks like ass, it's not as shitty as what the animators threw out for Saekano. If you want to defend those giant meat hands banging on a keyboard or the fact that every extra at the mall has the same walk animation, then more power to you.

High praise, given the look of Spring I may have to check it out.
Haha, apparently I'm the only one who feels that way about the show, so perhaps take it with a grain of salt. lol

I haven't watched anything Wing related in over decade because I basically consider it to be the low point of the entire franchise (at least prior to Age coming along), but isn't the plot of Endless Waltz basically "all this bad stuff couldn't be stopped because we got rid of the Gundams, but let's get rid of them again anyway at the end".

Josephl64

I haven't watched anything Wing related in over decade because I basically consider it to be the low point of the entire franchise (at least prior to Age coming along), but isn't the plot of Endless Waltz basically "all this bad stuff couldn't be stopped because we got rid of the Gundams, but let's get rid of them again anyway at the end".

I was told Wing is okay if you don't care for the battles, but like the politics of the situation...haven't ever watched Gundam so I don't know how true that is.

ah, I would have been interested in it if that part of it was amazingly well done.

The 'politics' of Wing consist of a bunch of characters standing around talking vapidly about 'pacifism' with absolutely no understanding of what the term actually means, what drives nations to war, what sort of people profit from war, or any other such ideas. Instead Wing just consists of 'pacifists' (who fight with the strongest weapons in the name of pacifism) vs the evil mustache twirlers. A six year old could write a war story with more nuance.

jgminto

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road 24 END

Great finish to the season but we better get a third season announcement soon, I need to see T2 at interhigh.

Josephl64

Yeah, it basically boils down to "no one should ever fight" vs "let's have the worst war ever so no one ever wants to fight again"

The 'politics' of Wing consist of a bunch of characters standing around talking vapidly about 'pacifism' with absolutely no understanding of what the term actually means, what drives nations to war, what sort of people profit from war, or any other such ideas. Instead Wing just consists of 'pacifists' (who fight with the strongest weapons in the name of pacifism) vs the evil mustache twirlers. A six year old could write a war story with more nuance.

ah, such a shame. I was going to start from the beginning of the Gundam universe century timeline and watch to the end after I finished Ikkitousen. It might still be something I do, but I'll see.
(apparently Wing isn't a part of that)

Yurikuma 12
Pretty well done ending. Feeling oddly similar to Penguindrum though they aren't that alike in finale. The ambiguity in the ending feels oddly satisfying even though you can't say with a gurantee, what happened to everyone. It would have definitely been better as a longer show, but it is still pretty impressive to become so good, especially since the first couple episodes were kind of poor. I should definitely rewatch this again sometime. I'll probably catch things I've missed.

Conan-san

The politics in Wing are horrible.

Yeah, granted at that point anything besides "Dem Feddie/Zeon Scum get off/on our planet/space colonies" was a vast improvement (See G Gundam for example) but Wing over simplified the scenario and had an almost Thanatos level obsession with death to the point where "Mobile Dolls are bad because they ruin war because they're drones (...huh) and therefore the human cost of war is lessened" is like a whole small arc to itself that was in of itself very very boring.

Honestly, and I can't believe I'm saying this, Gundam 00 basically got it right; The Gundams were an actual team (Unlike the sort of vague teams of Herro/Duo & Trowa/Quatre (Can we just forget Wu Fei? He was awful and, for the longest time before the show aired in the UK I thought he was a girl), the team were genuinely considered terrorists and the lack of a Sanc Kingdom to bog affairs down made things work a lot smoother.

Just don't talk to me about Trailblazer, that goes in the bin alongside Prince of Darkness and Rebellion (More Like "Puella Magi Homura vacca", am I right?)

Trailblazer and 00 S2 are completely separate works in my mind. 00 was a great Gundam entry and the sequels being crap doesn't change that the slightest imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom