• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean specifically dull adaptations with little ambition beyond "sakuga". Like the jump from K-On s1 to s2, where they just went for it after they realized that they had a hit on their hands. Or even Endless Eight, which I still think is amazing after all these years.

Well, judging by the large amount of changes the staff at KyoAni have made to most of their anime adapted from self-published LNs, I don't think you can accuse them of making copy-and-paste adaptations by rote, however problematic the end results may have turned out. In this case I feel confident that Sound! Euphonium is a passion project on their part, considering they've deviated from their normal practice of the past few years of sticking to self-owned IPs.

Yuri Kuma - 12

Eh, that may have been an alright episode on its own but I felt like the show needed more. The main story was entirely kind of entirely nonsensical and since this world didn't really have any rules to abide, everything could and did happen at any point. I'd be somewhat okay with that if it translated into something more cohesive when interpreted into a different context but I'm gonna be really surprised if there's much of that. I mean there's not even much of a subtle subtext here. It screams its messages about exclusion, love etc. right in your face. Yeh, of course that applies not just to this fictional Yuri Kuma world but just about everywhere in life. But I can't say that the story itself was particularly engaging or smart.

I dunno, maybe I'll read an interesting comment or article about it that changes my view on Yuri Kuma, but it didn't leave a big impression for now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, judging by the large amount of changes the staff at KyoAni have made to most of their anime adapted from self-published LNs, I don't think you can accuse them of making copy-and-paste adaptations by rote, however problematic the end results may have turned out. In this case I feel confident that Sound! Euphonium is a passion project on their part, considering they've deviated from their normal practice of the past few years of sticking to self-owned IPs.
It just feels like after Tamako failed to gain traction, they just ran back to the otaku direction with Chuu2, KnK, and Amagi... and perhaps to a lesser extent Free. I mean, I don't necessarily have a problem with these studios that churn, since I am a fan of most of what Shaft does (Nisekoi being the huge exception), but I just expected a lot more from KyoAni based on the K-On S2/Nichijou/Haruhi S2/Hyouka/Tamako market era of the studio.

jbug617

Banned
Yowamushi Pedal GR 24

ONODA!!!!!!!!!! Pretty great ending and everyone went all out.

I wonder what the movie will be about.

phaze

You might have liked it a bit more if you watched the dub.

Anyways now would be a good time to watch G Gundam.

HIlarious
KuGsj.gif
. But I never watch dubs. The few examples I checked out were vastly inferior to the original and not being a native english speaker I usually don't get a word or two if a character speaks in less than a clear way.

Is Gundam Wing a narrative mess? Yes. Yes it totally is.

Does that matter in the face of "Your shelter is secure, is it?"

No. No it does not.

One of the best scenes. Too bad plot armor was too strong. :( If Heero managed to satisfy my 14 year old desire to strangle Relena it would be a 10/10 movie.

Yuri Bear Storm END

I'm quite happy with that ending.
In a way most characters in the show got a what can be considered good ending in that every character, even the girls at the school. Even Robo-Nasty bear found someone to love her! No surprise that Kureha turned into a bear since I've been expecting that since the beginning for the show

But Heavyarms Custom is the greatest gundam ever conceived.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Say what you will about Gundam Wing, but Heero ripping the birthday party invitation in half, man that shit was hilarious.

Basically the only thing I remember about Gundam Wing was it being the first fiction series I watched where I remember being annoyed that the romantic subplot went nowhere. For some reason that pissed me the fuck off at age 11.

Well they actually own the IP now.

No. Producers Oohashi and Senami made a proposal to Takarajimasha to use the rights to adapt the novel into a series. They do not own the IP, but they have the rights needed to make the show, sell discs, and sell merchandise. The ownership (and therefore royalties) do go to Takarahimasha and to Ayano Takeda (author).

On another note, I'm currently writing about the reasons why people have disliked the productions from KyoAni since 2012. It'll be a long post.

Jarmel

Banned
No. Producers Oohashi and Senami made a proposal to Takarajimasha to use the rights to adapt the novel into a series. They do not own the IP, but they have the rights needed to make the show, sell discs, and sell merchandise. The ownership (and therefore royalties) do go to Takarahimasha and to Ayano Takeda (author).

On another note, I'm currently writing about the reasons why people have disliked the productions from KyoAni since 2012. It'll be a long post.

Well either way they're much more heavily invested in Euphonium financially compared to Amagi. It's closer in nature to the stuff they've been self-publishing.

I don't even know why you would need to do that post. It can be summed up fairly quickly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
YuriKuma is about how AnimeGAF rejects other fans of anime for not following the ways of "accepted taste" and excludes them behind the wall known as the Attack of Titan OT.

cajunator

Banned
Free I've heard mixed things, Kyoukai no Kanata is garbage.

But..Mirai
I cant hate something that brought Mirai to us!

Amaburi was fun

Yeah it really was. It was something different.

Hyouka is the biggest reason KyoAni is good.

No, that would be K-On and pretty much exclusively it.
Maybe Haruhi before it. They have never reached those heights since.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Does anyone have hope for this brass band K-On thing?

Quite high hopes.
Im confident it will deliver.

Sentai has licensed the rest of Grisaia.

Hooray for bad VN tripe that I actually like!

javac

Say what you will about Gundam Wing, but Heero ripping the birthday party invitation in half, man that shit was hilarious.

Fuck it's weird because I only ever saw Wing when I was a child when it was on Toonami, must have been 16-17 years ago? I never even really cared too much for Gundam, and yet I still remember that moment vividly, like frame for frame. Man that's crazy...

YuriKuma is about how AnimeGAF rejects other fans of anime for not following the ways of "accepted taste" and excludes them behind the wall known as the Attack of Titan OT.

Haha, that's quite apt.

That reminds me, I like AoT...

So long! If you people manage to find true love I'll be back.

Blusby

Yuri Kuma Arashi (Fin): It would have been a cool ending had the episodes leading up to it were worthwhile but at least it's over.

Setting my sights pretty low for spring.

Wouldn't that be the Toonami thread?
Also the wall is always shown being built but never completed because it's a social construct

Midonin

Sailor Moon S 03-04

I've heard a lot about Haruka and Michiru even before I started watching, with how infamous the dub was for making them "cousins". Their introductory episodes were pretty fun, establishing that they're pretty friendly most of the time, just with conflicting agendas while acting as heroes. Feels like everyone who's not Usagi and them is getting shafted a bit, though. This is the first episode where Rei, Ami and Mako didn't participate in a battle at all.

Saudades

I have a hard time thinking of better Sci-fi in anime than Magnetic Rose. At least, for that particular brand of Sci-fi.
It's Planetes meets
Alien
. It doesn't get much better than that.
I'd love to find more property that has the
crew follows SOS signal in space and gets screwed over
plot.
Winter Rankings:

1. Death Parade - Pretty good.
That's my list too~

Firemind

So Yuki is basically a completely different character from her cool, strong, apathetic character in the haruhiverse.

I don't know why I got myself hyped up for it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 12:

Oh thnak god we didn't get a
Bury Your Gays
ending, I would have been quite cross had the discharged that trite bit of dated storytelling here.

Quasar

Who are you talking to? I like Kancolle, so perhaps you're up your own ass as well?
Perhaps writing is subjective, even though I think Saekano is a terrible indicator of the "Ready Player One-ization" of contemporary culture

Speaking of...you must be overjoyed at the news of Spielberg supposedly directing the ready player one movie.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So Yuki is basically a completely different character from her cool, strong, apathetic character in the haruhiverse.

Yes. Watch The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya to understand why.

This is a spinoff based on an alternative decision that could have been made in that story. Kind of like how the Zelda timeline splits.

It's a beautiful thing. It's a spin-off so far removed from the original that it may as well be an original series. But original series, especially lame sounding ones, don't have inherent appeal. A spin-off from a popular franchise sure does!

What would even be the premise of this outside of the Haruhi context? "Generic shy girl stuff: the anime!"?

Firemind

It's a beautiful thing. It's a spin-off so far removed from the original that it may as well be an original series. But original series, especially lame sounding ones, don't have inherent appeal. A spin-off from a popular franchise sure does!

What would even be the premise of this outside of the Haruhi context? "Generic shy girl stuff: the anime!"?
That's my kryptonite!

ibyea

Banned

This is a spinoff based on an alternative decision that could have been made in that story. Kind of like how the Zelda timeline splits.

Unfortunately I don't even think the Yuki from that manga is even the same character as the alt universe version from Disappearance. At least from the first two chapters of what I have read from the source material. That was a bad alt universe spin off.

Firemind

I can't even remember what happened in Disappearance. So tell me this: How did the possum even exist and get together without Haruhi? I seem to faintly remember Yuki had a backup plan but I forgot.

ibyea

Banned
I can't even remember what happened in Disappearance. So tell me this: How did the possum exist and get together without Haruhi? I seem to faintly remember Yuki had a backup plan but I forgot.

Yuki had a program in place that would activate with a key, which was when all members of the SOS were brought together in the lit club room. At that point she gave Kyon a choice, he could stay in the ideal universe Kyon always complained he wished he were in, or the reality he knew.

Edit: Wait, I might have misunderstood. What do you mean by this?: "How did the possum exist and get together without Haruhi?"

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon S 03-04

I've heard a lot about Haruka and Michiru even before I started watching, with how infamous the dub was for making them "cousins". Their introductory episodes were pretty fun, establishing that they're pretty friendly most of the time, just with conflicting agendas while acting as heroes. Feels like everyone who's not Usagi and them is getting shafted a bit, though. This is the first episode where Rei, Ami and Mako didn't participate in a battle at all.

They support cast will get their supporting episodes in due time, that is part of the Sailor Moon pattern.

Again this is why i'm not intrested.

Kyon himself made the choice that the other world is much better ..

Having to choose between the magic/esper/timetravelling/realitywraping(spoilers) world and the normal world , i just can't get hyped for the normal world.

Tizoc

WOAH
Ninja Slayer looks slick, will look forward to watching it.

EDIT: Wait is 'Anata wo Zutto Aishiteru' in any way related 'You are delicious!'?

EDIT2: OH SURE, LET'S GET A TRIAGE X ANIME GOING.
Still salty over HSOD
OK I really need to watch Lupin series already, which of the anime series are worth watching or is the moives enough?

ibyea

Banned
Again this is why i'm not intrested.

Kyon himself made the choice that the other world is much better ..

Having to choose between the magic/esper/timetravelling/realitywraping(spoilers) world and the normal world , i just can't get hyped for the normal world.

Not only would I rather they animated the continuations of the actual source material, I thought that manga based on the alt universe would fill my Kyon/Yuki needs, but it's so terrible I stopped reading two chapters in.

Firemind

Not only would I rather they animated the continuations of the actual source material, I thought that manga based on the alt universe would fill my Kyon/Yuki needs, but it's so terrible I stopped reading two chapters in.
Exactly. Yuki is great because she's an alien robot with super powers who starts to develop feelings.

ibyea

Banned
Exactly. Yuki is great because she's an alien robot with super powers who starts to develop feelings.

Well, that wasn't my argument, even considering the manga by itself without taking account of the original source material, it was terrible due to terrible execution. But this too! ^_^

Quasar

He's turning into a senile old man anyway, so what can you do. This is the man that thought Indy 4 was a good idea after all!

Have to admit its been a long time since I was really happy/enthused with a Spielberg film (hell I don't think I've seen any since Tintin and the last film I really liked was Saving Private Ryan). I liked Super 8 more than anything he's done in years.

So I would have preferred JJ doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom