• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really love this show.

The first few minutes with Hachiman reconnecting with his sister were just really heartwarming. She's one of the few people who truly understands his character fully so it's nice to them talking again. This episode really highlights how determined Hachiman is in preserving the club. It highlights his character in a good way showing that even those his methods aren't necessarily accepted by everyone, his heart is in the right place. The scene with Hachiman and Yuigahama alone in the club room was sweet and shows how important Hachiman has become to other people.

Clov

Probably very old news by now, but I can't stress enough how cool is that Cinelicious Pics itself is banking much of this newly founded distribution label on film restoration and publishing efforts for a product like Belladonna of Sadness, to the point of considering a whole equal release for the rest of Mushi-Pro's Animerama works if this first one is successful (as confirmed by Cinelicious' Craig Rogers himself; http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=10679905#post10679905).

Great news! I still have to see the other two, but I hope Belladonna manages to be successful enough for them.

My dream would be that this company would pick up Angel's Egg, and give it an even better HD version than what it already has. I actually e-mailed them about that a few months ago, and I even got a reply! From what I remember, they said that they knew about the the film. To me, that's a nice start.

Jex

itMQjWVl.jpg

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMSCpG2pLYo
Extended trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvBvkp-r4C4

That sounds...genuinely interesting. I can't think of many (any?) post-colonial texts that I've consumed which share that viewpoint. Fascinating.

SNAFU 05

Hachiman sure has some pretty strong self-denial. The fact that he
can't even admit that he himself values his club and his relationship with the people in it, and needs Komachi to request that he protect it instead of just doing it himself.

Jex

Space Adventure Cobra TV 1

I had a loose idea of how things were to go but this episode still proved to be rather trippy as it felt like it was heavily influenced by PKD's "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale." This was a nice surprise despite it playing out exactly as one might imagine. Aside from that, ace soundtrack and the visuals were very Dezaki The only hangup I had to get over coming off the movie was adjusting to Nachi Nozawa as Cobra over the movie's Shigeru Matsuzaki as I thought the latter gave Cobra's character a befitting unconventional quality that the more youthful sounding Nozawa lacked to some degree.

Cobra TV is so great, I really need to give it a re-watch sometime. Maybe. Possibly.

ibyea

Banned
If you've considered post-colonial literature in any way, you know that most of the time, po-co authors/filmmakers/artists typically see colonization as a trauma. In the realm of English language art, this is usually people in North America, the Caribbean, and South Asia dealing with the scars of the British Empire. On an individual level, questions of identity are raised as many people in a po-co world feel as if they don't belong to any one place. This can be in terms of problems integrating into the dominant culture or feeling anxiety over losing the culture associated with ones ethnicity.

But that's what makes Kano so fascinating to me. Both this, and the other two films in the so-called Taiwan colonization trilogy (Cape No 7 and Seediq Bale), treat colonization in a much more ambivalent manner. Being "forced" to be Japanese wasn't necessarily a terrible thing, and that it is simply a part of both Japanese and Taiwanese history. The fact that these kids, who are a mixture of the three different races living in Japan, dream of participating in what is a Japanese sports institution tells you that for at least some people, being colonized was simply a fact of life. Heck, there's even an interracial marriage in the film, complete with a mixed race baby.

As a Korean, I find this fascinating. Virtually every Korean I know views Japanese colonization very negatively, and for good reasons. Did Taiwan get treated differently or did the people react differently?

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun [End]

Well on to the next epi- ...oh. I liked the show throughout, the interactions between the cast was interesting enough to keep me going. I expected more development and growth by the end, it kinda just beated around the bush for the most part.
I sometimes got freaked out by Haru. His "spontaneous" mind and violent actions makes me question the safety of the people around him. This guy should get some help, and a restraining order.
My favorite thing were probably Shizuku's reflections and on going thoughts on the cast.

phaze

Just a slight remark here, but... did you probably mean "cuts per scene" there, perhaps? As far as I understand it, key animators on their own (in behalf of key animation supervisors and the directors) address the necessary timing for their assignments and adjust the number of sheets-per-cut accordingly for a next step that is the in-between animators task of completing the whole animation cut. These key animators mostly fulfil by themselves the 'time-sheet', where this information is stored, and hand it over for those in charge of doing said following steps.

I was mostly going by this washiblog post:
toryboards are drawn on A-4 paper (generally) and contain most of the vital building blocks of an anime – (...) the length of each shot (or cut) in terms of seconds and frames (which we’ll explain later). Because the number of drawings available for an episode is often fixed for the sake of budget management, the number of frames is also carefully considered in the storyboards.

but I claim no knowledge of these things and am quite open to being corrected ! ;)

Midonin

Nisekoi: 04

Chitoge's ending/character song is pretty good. Not as catchy as her one from the first season, but still a song I can see myself listening to again. The catharsis and reunion with her mother was also pulled off pretty well. Her tsun part of her personality wasn't preventing her from being human, it was part of what makes her human - and as it tends to go in stories, she got a lot of those qualities from her mom. Putting up a front for her insecurities. Happens to the best of us. Then there's the matter of that ending shot.
Kosaki - seriously, we're about to get two Onoderas in the show soon, best to start using the first name - has the picture book that Chitoge's locket and ribbon came from? I know that the resolution certainly won't happen, but providing a few more hints is appreciated.

Midonin

DanMachi 05

Slow down, Bell. You can't just start using Firebolt all wildly. At least graduate from the Nimbus 2000 first. Lili's role wasn't as big as I'd hoped, though Hestia fans will be pleased. Lots of her. Demeter looks like a fun goddess - makes me wonder if Persephone and all of her mythological implications are present, too. In a world where all mythologies and religions are true, I wouldn't rule it out. This is the first time I've seen the girl the hero lusts after remain distant to the events in some time. It feels more like Hesita is meant to be the "main" girl, even if Bell has eyes for... Aiz. Also hoping we can return to that bathhouse at some point in a future episode.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That sounds...genuinely interesting. I can't think of many (any?) post-colonial texts that I've consumed which share that viewpoint. Fascinating.
Yeah, at best texts are kind of ambivalent about being colonized or occupied. But, Cape No 7 is framed by the interracial romance between a Japanese man and a Taiwanese woman during WW2, and how it's tragic that they were forced to be separated because of the outcome of the war. That's mixed with a romance between a Taiwanese man and a Japanese woman in contemporary Taiwan, and how culturally there's a mutual relationship between the two cultures/nations.

Perhaps there's a similar relationship between India and England now, especially since independence was won relatively non-violently, but I have to imagine that there is still a lot of South Asian angst about the role of the British Empire in their lives.

As a Korean, I find this fascinating. Virtually every Korean I know views Japanese colonization very negatively, and for good reasons. Did Taiwan get treated differently or did the people react differently?
Oh yeah, I've read some Korean po-co texts and they deal with the time with Japan in a very negative way. I know even less about Korean history though, but in terms of Taiwan, Taiwanese were conscripted into the Japanese army units and fought with them, so it was a fairly integrated part of Japan. To this day, there are still some Japanese loanwords that are used in Taiwan because of the fact that nearly everyone learned Japanese during the 50 years or so of Taiwanese rule.

Like, everyone in the movie speaks Japanese, except for the few times that we see private moments in the lives of the non-Japanese characters and they go back to Chinese or Hokkien. And there's no real judgement about the erasure of language that you get in say, North America or Australia, where there are dozens of aboriginal/native languages that are on the verge of extinction because these people were forced to learn English.

Edit: Actually, there's a scene where the players are in front of the Japanese press, and a Japanese reporter asks if the "savages" understand Japanese. "Ni-hon-gooooo?". It's probably as close to overt racism that you see in the movie, and the entire team - including the Japanese members of the team - bristle at the reporter's attitude.
It reminded me of the sort of implicit racism that immigrants sometimes face when it's expected that they just learn English in America... but with the twist being the immigrants actually know English.

Even before watching the movie as a baseball film, the context itself is just a very interesting perspective into Japanese history, especially since they are typically depicted as horrible Nazi-like villains in films of this nature.

Midonin

Disappearance of Yuki Nagato 05

Having Ryoko not be insane does give her a lot more screentime, though this timeline's her doesn't have much bearing on the mainline her. Seeing episodes like this also lead to the realization that even as a joke, "NTR" is often used when things are simply a misunderstanding, as is this case. Haruhi's impulsiveness and Yuki's shyness collided in a way that neither of them really through through before they did, and things are mostly alright in the end. I liked the flashback to an alternate version of Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, too. The more things change and all that.

I repeat what I said about perspective, and seeing a romantic comedy like this from the girls' perspective, yet the show is aimed at a male/general audience, is something that can offer a side of the story rarely considered. It's fluffy and feelgood, but I don't think that means it's without things to say. Simply by adapting the work, the author is inevitably going to let some of their own ideas into things, which can only become more apparent as it goes on.

phaze

Jojo Stardust Crusaders 41

I can't really recall
poor Kakyouin actually defeating an enemy, must have happened early in the first part.
Baseball still sucks and even Jojo can't imbue it with any urgency or thrill.

Is this the first time we had a
three part episode ?

Crocodile

A friend of mine just watched the last two episodes of Evangelion for the first time and like most is having a "WTF did I just watch" reaction. Is there a good source I can link him to talking about why/how the ending happened the way it did and what many took away from it?

And yes I've already told him about EoE and the Rebuild movies but I want to have a discussion with him on the TV ending right now and some background info would be helpful for him.

JoJo SC 41

Joseph is the worst kind of backseat gamer. Really, this fight isn't super exciting or anything, but it has it's moments. The next two however...

And no this won't be a three parter. They will likely wrap it up in the first half, and continue onto
Vanilla Ice, as the next episodes name was Vanilla Ice Part 1, not D'arby Part 3.
similar to what happened with Boingo and Hol Horse part 2

I just wonder where they will fit in
Tenore Sax and Suzie Q visiting Holly.

onii-sama is alive and doing well

read the LNs

the day I read a LN is the day I start buying figurines. It's next logical step fo sho.

Also I tried once and reading constant japanese names and anime situations in written form without constant visuals was a bit too much for the cringe.

I'll wait for his glorious return to anime form. We all know that on the 7th year he will rise again.

Jex

A friend of mine just watched the last two episodes of Evangelion for the first time and like most is having a "WTF did I just watch" reaction. Is there a good source I can link him to talking about why/how the ending happened the way it did and what many took away from it?

And yes I've already told him about EoE and the Rebuild movies but I want to have a discussion with him on the TV ending right now and some background info would be helpful for him.

I mean, you can consult Wikipedia, but most places will have EoE spoilers. It makes more sense to watch that, I'd argue, before discussing anything.

Maria the Virgin Witch
This show was nice. It had a cute ending and decent levels of drama. I liked how Ezekiel changed from an annoying pest to a pretty likeable character. And while Maria was merely being idealistic and a bit childish, there was an interesting clash of views with the heavens. I also liked how the character design felt distinctly different from normal stuff.

Midonin

Spice & Wolf 07-09

Nora's an interesting addition to the cast. Someone who's employed under the church, a natural enemy to Holo, but plenty sympathetic in her own way. Holo and Lawrence have some fun chemistry, and Holo's quite the drunk. Even willing to use it to her advantage and tip the scales in her favor. A lot of stuff to take in on the economics side of things, not just in terms of theory, but in terms of culture. Like the fairy tale about the demon from a few episodes ago. It's a unique world we're dealing with here, one that feels very lived-in.

ibyea

Banned
Yeah, at best texts are kind of ambivalent about being colonized or occupied. But, Cape No 7 is framed by the interracial romance between a Japanese man and a Taiwanese woman during WW2, and how it's tragic that they were forced to be separated because of the outcome of the war. That's mixed with a romance between a Taiwanese man and a Japanese woman in contemporary Taiwan, and how culturally there's a mutual relationship between the two cultures/nations.

Perhaps there's a similar relationship between India and England now, especially since independence was won relatively non-violently, but I have to imagine that there is still a lot of South Asian angst about the role of the British Empire in their lives.

Oh yeah, I've read some Korean po-co texts and they deal with the time with Japan in a very negative way. I know even less about Korean history though, but in terms of Taiwan, Taiwanese were conscripted into the Japanese army units and fought with them, so it was a fairly integrated part of Japan. To this day, there are still some Japanese loanwords that are used in Taiwan because of the fact that nearly everyone learned Japanese during the 50 years or so of Taiwanese rule.

Like, everyone in the movie speaks Japanese, except for the few times that we see private moments in the lives of the non-Japanese characters and they go back to Chinese or Hokkien. And there's no real judgement about the erasure of language that you get in say, North America or Australia, where there are dozens of aboriginal/native languages that are on the verge of extinction because these people were forced to learn English.

Edit: Actually, there's a scene where the players are in front of the Japanese press, and a Japanese reporter asks if the "savages" understand Japanese. "Ni-hon-gooooo?". It's probably as close to overt racism that you see in the movie, and the entire team - including the Japanese members of the team - bristle at the reporter's attitude.
It reminded me of the sort of implicit racism that immigrants sometimes face when it's expected that they just learn English in America... but with the twist being the immigrants actually know English.

Even before watching the movie as a baseball film, the context itself is just a very interesting perspective into Japanese history, especially since they are typically depicted as horrible Nazi-like villains in films of this nature.

I guess the answer is then a mix of both. Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom