• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robotguy

Yeah. That's not uncommon. It's pretty clearly not canon though.

Naw it's great. I fucking hated it when I first saw it but I love it now for the exact same reason I originally hated it.
I can understand disliking it, but it's Code Geass, so I'll accept it.
And it is only the beginning. Enjoy the train wreck that is R2.
Well, I'm sure it will be amazing one way or the other.

Code Geass R2 2-3
Well, with Nunnally missing I suppose Lelouch has no reason to continue going to school, but I imagine he will anyways for some reason. Showdown with Rolo next ep? His geass should be highly problematic.

Jex

I wonder, is there somewhere a decent, enlightening write up on the division of responsibilites between show's overall director and people who direct individual episodes ? To my mind, especially with the addition of people responsible for storyboards, it makes trying to pin virtues and vices of singular episodes to one person mightily hard and confusing. Shirobako kind of skipped the issue by having only one director for all episodes. ( I think he did all storyboards too ?) There was that one outsourced episode but they never went in depth about what was going there.

I assume the overall directors have rather strong grip on things given that, outside of SSY 5(6?) and 10 or some long running shounens, most shows, I can think of, tend to stick to one continous style more or less. But I'm kinda curious how the division of labour works in practice

Leaving aside what others have already said, there are plenty of shows where the work of different episode directors is extremely obvious. It really depends on what kind of show it is to how obvious the differences are, but really, when you become familiar with certain episode directors you'll people to pick up on their style easily.

Narag

Space Adventure Cobra TV 1

N34lMMOl.jpg
uIItjZil.jpg

dDVmLpvl.png
JgUDgjvl.png

DyiNw28l.jpg
dBGwtW8l.jpg

I had a loose idea of how things were to go but this episode still proved to be rather trippy as it felt like it was heavily influenced by PKD's "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale." This was a nice surprise despite it playing out exactly as one might imagine. Aside from that, ace soundtrack and the visuals were very Dezaki The only hangup I had to get over coming off the movie was adjusting to Nachi Nozawa as Cobra over the movie's Shigeru Matsuzaki as I thought the latter gave Cobra's character a befitting unconventional quality that the more youthful sounding Nozawa lacked to some degree.

Syrinx

Ore Monogatari 4

What the hell were those girls doing after Yamato overheard them? Should've just left at that point.

Also that fire department sucks ass.

Jex

This week of Animator Expo is actually a two-parter of filler. There's ME!ME!ME! Chronic, which is just a remix of ME!ME!ME! music and visuals reorganized with a bunch of random filters, and a Making Of for that Eva CG short which is just a bunch of shots breaking down the layering of CG effects. Neither of them are really that interesting.

Well, I better file that under "Do Not Watch".

This week of Animator Expo is actually a two-parter of filler. There's ME!ME!ME! Chronic, which is just a remix of ME!ME!ME! music and visuals reorganized with a bunch of random filters, and a Making Of for that Eva CG short which is just a bunch of shots breaking down the layering of CG effects. Neither of them are really that interesting.

oh lawwwd....give me that remix!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Ninja Slayer 3
Yooo, WTF? Where's my sakuga? Where is it!? Can't believe they show normal animation for the new ninja. Dammit! Cool ED song though.
Wow, so this is what happen when you expect Inferno Cop, get decently animated instead

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I still can't believe Winter Soldier ended up being watchable after the dreadful first movie. I mean action scenes involving the captain are still a joke, but at least the rest of the stuff were okay, Hydra's dumb world domination plan aside.
I think I like the first movie more if only because of the WW2 setting. That said, I only watched it once and had no desire to return to it, so yeah.

Well, that's how the Marvel comics (and DC) have always been. You have your street level heroes and then you have the nigh-Godlike cosmic level ones existing in the same world. And sometimes they know each other.

It's kind of a mess, like if every Shonen Jump series took place in the same world.

Edit: nvm that sounds kinda cool
Everyone has said "crime would still exist", but I mean... there are fucking space aliens ready to invade Earth. Who gives a crap about some bald guy trying to take over NYC?

Sound! Euphonium 4

This music teacher really is great at his job. I can see how people who haven't been in a concert band before can find his methods to be a bit harsh, but I understood what he was trying to do. Any self respecting band member would see it too. And honestly he's playing his role perfectly. This episode was great and bringing together what his intention was all along: to bring the band together and get serious to accomplish the goal they all agreed on.

This episode was very, very well done.

This is why you're on the list.

Of course, it's helpful for people to go into detail about why they don't like something but I feel javac and NaDannMaGoGo has been pretty clear and thorough. It's not like their just drive-by posters casually murdering a sacred cow.

:3

I feel like I'm just going to beat a dead horse for bringing this up again so I'll just say I had fun with TTGL but I wasn't that enthralled by it.

Jintor

I mean I look back on it and recognise, yes, this was weak, yes this meandered too long, boy this was kind of dumb, yeah the action shots aren't the greatest always and the escalating sense of progression often renders some bits kind of inert, but fuck it; I enjoyed TTGL enough to inadvertantly marathon it when I was first watching it and I enjoyed watching the dub the second time around with ToonamiGAF.

The movies were a bit rubbish really apart from the animation, but you just can't cram a cour into two hours, not really, you can't.

Thoraxes

Denki-Gai Volume 2 Bluray+DVD set with Bonus Sensei-chan art.

Yet again, a really really nice release from Ponycan US. Nice goodies, nice full-sized art, very nice video quality.

2015-04-3014.59.11luu5fuoi.jpg

Jintor

I'm kind of annoyed I don't like Denki-gai more. It seems well made for what it is, it's just I don't think I like what it is all that much.

Except for Sommelier.

Thoraxes

I'm kind of annoyed I don't like Denki-gai more. It seems well made for what it is, it's just I don't think I like what it is all that much.

Except for Sommelier.

I came to like it more after I finished it than when it was airing. Rewatching the show when I get one of the new releases in the mail has been really nice.

And it's nice just having really top-notch video quality.

Except for Sommelier.

It's a show that I initially liked and then every episode became less funny than the last and it just ended up boring.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
itMQjWVl.jpg

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMSCpG2pLYo
Extended trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvBvkp-r4C4

I just wanted to do a brief write up of Kano. I don't expect anyone to actually watch it, but I found it interesting because it touched on an aspect of history that I really don't know much about - the Japanese colonization of Taiwan.

In brief, the film is about the first non-Japanese team, Kano, to ever make it to the Koshien finals. Now if you have seen any Adachi or baseball anime, you know that Koshien is the big national high school baseball tournament that every teenager who plays baseball dreams of playing in.

As a sports film, it's a very familiar rehash of the tropes that have become engrained in you through countless sports stories. A plucky team of loveable losers meets up with a tough-as-nails coach. The coach teaches the kids the actual mechanics of playing baseball so that they get better, while the kids love of the game and their hardworking spirit brings life back to the coach and allows him to appreciate the sport. Now add onto that by framing it in the context of the team being both dirt poor and also racially diverse, and you also get the classic underdog sports struggle. That's not even considering that this film is based on a true story.

What elevates it beyond your standard Disney sports film fare is how Kano treats the relationship between Taiwan and Japan. Although there are countless horror stories about what the Japanese did to the mainland Chinese in the occupation years, Taiwan seemed to be treated completely differently - with an emphasis on integration and assimilation. So Chinese films about the occupation tend to be about events such as the socalled Rape of Nanjing... while in Kano, you get a story about Japanese, Han Chinese, and Aboriginal Taiwanese all working together in harmony.

That's not just limited to the baseball team - coach Kondo is allowed to give a speech where he basically says that their team has an advantage since he is able to take the best of each racial group to make a great team - but to Taiwan itself. Set against this simple sports story is the struggle of the Taiwanese farmer, trying their best to grow rice as best they can. But while the native Taiwanese toil in the fields, the Japanese are helping by inventing new ways to grow better crops at the Agricultural College or building the Kanan Irrigation System to help bring water directly to the farmers. You get the sense that even if Japan occupied the country, the filmmakers concede that the Japanese helped bring Taiwan into the 20th century and improved their lives. In fact, the movie begins in in the 40s, when Japanese soldiers arrive in Taiwan before being shipped off to the various fronts in the Pacific Theater, and one of the soldiers unironically says "Under the rule of the Great Japanese Empire, Taiwan has prospered". There is no judgement, no malice. It's just given to the audience as a statement of fact.

The thing is that the Japanese that are in the film are presented as patriots as well, inasmuch as they are proud of Taiwan and see it as part of Japan. I feel like this sums it up fairly nicely:
Q80LaIll.jpg

Here you have Yoichi Hatta, the man who spearheaded the Kanan project, telling the kids to make Taiwan proud. He may be from Japan, but he sees his work in Taiwan as important, and has bonded with the farmers he is trying to help through his irrigation project and to kids.

If you've considered post-colonial literature in any way, you know that most of the time, po-co authors/filmmakers/artists typically see colonization as a trauma. In the realm of English language art, this is usually people in North America, the Caribbean, and South Asia dealing with the scars of the British Empire. On an individual level, questions of identity are raised as many people in a po-co world feel as if they don't belong to any one place. This can be in terms of problems integrating into the dominant culture or feeling anxiety over losing the culture associated with ones ethnicity.

But that's what makes Kano so fascinating to me. Both this, and the other two films in the so-called Taiwan colonization trilogy (Cape No 7 and Seediq Bale), treat colonization in a much more ambivalent manner. Being "forced" to be Japanese wasn't necessarily a terrible thing, and that it is simply a part of both Japanese and Taiwanese history. The fact that these kids, who are a mixture of the three different races living in Japan, dream of participating in what is a Japanese sports institution tells you that for at least some people, being colonized was simply a fact of life. Heck, there's even an interracial marriage in the film, complete with a mixed race baby.

The film does touch on the racism that the Japanese presumably had against the Taiwanese - seeing them as "lesser" - but (and I don't think it's a spoiler to say this) the kids from Kano win the Japanese over by playing their hearts out and by the end of the movie the Taiwanese players are seen as equals.

One other aspect that fascinated me was the fact that all the kids on the team had Japanese names - presumably to better assimilate into Japanese culture. But in the final montage that reveals what happened to everyone on the team, all of the Chinese players on the team later changed back to their Chinese names after the end of the war. It's the one and only sign in the film of a potential fracture in the rosy picture the film seems to paint about Japan's role as occupier.

But even if you don't care about what Japan did in the 30s, the film itself is still a fine sports film. It hits all the sports film cliches (and you have to wonder how many facts were embellished to make for a better tale), but does it in a way that is just fun to watch. It's an earnest version of Major League or The Mighty Ducks. And funny enough, I've never been so on the edge of my seat watching a baseball game whose outcome was determined over 70 years ago. Because it spent so much time building the characters, I cared about how they performed in the games that they played.

nuUezm1l.jpg

tl;dr - Kano is an interesting primer in an aspect of Japanese history that we never see in art. It is also a pretty good baseball movie.

Incidentally, it's fascinating to watch a celebration of Taiwanese baseball, given that the last film about Taiwanese baseball that I watched (The Winds of September) dealt with the match fixing scandal of the 80s.

Baalzebup

Code Geass R2 1
What?

I remember being so psyched for the second season then getting that. Truly, I wasn't worthy.

one of the biggest piece of shit letdowns following a cliffhanger ever

Hahahahaha.

I remember putting the show down for a while after a couple episodes of R2. Couldn't believe they actually went that route, lol.

And it is only the beginning. Enjoy the train wreck that is R2.

:)

In defence of the people who actually made it, the word is there was some really heavy executive meddling as the show was moved to a different timeslot. It was supposed to continue right where S1 ended, but alas. They spent rest of the season picking up the pieces and patching it up as they go.

/XX/

Probably very old news by now, but I can't stress enough how cool is that Cinelicious Pics itself is banking much of this newly founded distribution label on film restoration and publishing efforts for a product like Belladonna of Sadness, to the point of considering a whole equal release for the rest of Mushi-Pro's Animerama works if this first one is successful (as confirmed by Cinelicious' Craig Rogers himself; http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=10679905#post10679905).

Joke subs are terrible and always less funny than the original material.
Excuse me sir, but Viewster is an official simulcaster of Ninja Slayer in numerous international territories, such as Italy and Singapore. And given the source material, broadcasting in 4:3 and an intentional parody of American perceptions of what "ninja" means, those subs are very true to the spirit of the work.
Exactomundo! Spain here is one of those territories too.

It is nice to see people here finally checking the more proper "in-the-joke" gloriousness of Viewster subtitles.

phaze

Clearly, Shirobako didn't handle this aspect well, because in the show every episode has its own episode director. There's even a full production chart and schedule for Exodus! on the show's official site with (sometimes provisional) credits for episode director, storyboarder, animation director, and so forth. In Exodus, series director Kinoshita storyboarded the first and last episodes, and was the episode director for only the final episode.

My understanding is that while the series director has full veto power over just about anything in a series, the episode director is the person responsible for delegating all the tasks that need to get done in an episode and managing it to completion. A production assistant like Miyamori has to then go about making sure the episode director's orders get executed on schedule. Exactly how much control an episode director has compared to the series director swings one way or another probably depends on the director or the studio
Ooops I don't remember them getting mentioned at all. The focus on Kinoshita and his tardiness made me think he had a bigger involvement.

Essentially, here's how the episodes boil down:

Series composition: involves director, series composer and/or any representative/author that is desired; ex: Haruhi credits Tanigawa with series assistance for his input
Scenario/script composition: Series composer (or script writer) writes the script and gets approved by director
Storyboards: Drawn by artists and approved by director (and/or series director first for series that have that, not repeating this every time)
Layouts: Drawn by key animators and approved by episode director before going to director.
Key frames: go to episode director and then series director in conjunction with animation director to maintain character consistency
In-betweens: go to in-between checker and then directors
Painting: get checked by color coordinator and then ED and D.
Photography: get approved by ED and D.

Basically your ED will check off on everything for that episode and move on while the director has to check over everything. Generally this gives a lot of freedom to your episode directors, but certain things can get added in by requests (and from other places too; Adachi was adamant about Suguha's bust in the Extra Edition feature). Generally we'll discover what they focused on in interviews and can apply it elsewhere. Otherwise it's just easier to credit the episode director if that only shows up in that episode.

Thanks, an eye opening read as always. Though from this, the series directors strike me as more of an overseers. (More than I imagined at least.) Maybe instead of focusing on directors, should give more credit and attention to the story boarders, after all they decide the framing, camera movement, frames per cut and all that jazz.

It's all in learning certain people's traits in what they bring to a show. Yamada wanted to experiment with lens effects in Tamako Love Story, so when we see that in Euphonium, it's quite probable that's from her (as well as leg scenes).
Leaving aside what others have already said, there are plenty of shows where the work of different episode directors is extremely obvious. It really depends on what kind of show it is to how obvious the differences are, but really, when you become familiar with certain episode directors you'll people to pick up on their style easily.

Most of these differences are too subtle and fly way, way over my head lol. I need a massive shift from the usual to even realise that the director might have changed.

Punchline 4

The hand wringing over Uchikoshi writing this kind of show is pretty funny now, because this show really Uchikoshi as fuck. Not just in the weirdness and twisty nature, but the general tone and way the slice of life and comedy is meshed with drama and conspiracies remind me a lot of his writing in the Infinity Series.

Though really, this show is way better than I expected it to be.

/XX/

Thanks, an eye opening read as always. Though from this, the series directors strike me as more of an overseers. (More than I imagined at least.) Maybe instead of focusing on directors, should give more credit and attention to the story boarders, after all they decide the framing, camera movement, frames per cut and all that jazz.
Just a slight remark here, but... did you probably mean "cuts per scene" there, perhaps? As far as I understand it, key animators on their own (in behalf of key animation supervisors and the directors) address the necessary timing for their assignments and adjust the number of sheets-per-cut accordingly for a next step that is the in-between animators task of completing the whole animation cut. These key animators mostly fulfil by themselves the 'time-sheet', where this information is stored, and hand it over for those in charge of doing said following steps.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Punchline 4
Next episode: Ito dies!
Each episode become more random but somehow it make more sense.

Im@s cinderella girls end

One reason why i like im@s more than Love live. Non cg dancing scene. It was awesome.
Everyone become one and working together for idol fest, and it end in a good note despite unlucky thing that happen to them. Good show, will be watching 2nd season.

Defuser

Snafu S2 ep 5
That brother-sister talk scene is amazing. Not every often you get this heartwarming. Anime should do more of this sibling bonding instead of incestual love.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion 11

I knew this fight was coming and it didn't disappoint. It was sooo good. Looks like the fight just
ended in a stalemate
. Suzaku has just the worst timing. We know
Cornilia is going to die so why delay the inevitable
?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom