• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

Are you shitting me #4

TTIh5fs.jpg

I mean, really? This is some Key-level BS "drama".

Next episode: A meteorite is about to fall on Yamato, can our hero stop it?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess the answer is then a mix of both. Thanks for the info!
Yep, as someone pointed out to me earlier, it's sort of like the relationship Okinawa has with "mainland" Japan.

(The only interesting thing about Eureka 7 AO was the idea of Okinawa becoming an independent nation).

Yahari Episode 5

Op changed again in the table scene from all 3 to empty to now only Yui and Yukino. All the parts I wanted got animated which is a plus. The talk with Megumi makes you think of what could of been but there's no respawn option here.

Are you shitting me #4

I mean, really? This is some Key-level BS "drama".

Next episode: A meteorite is about to fall on Yamato, can our hero stop it?

Yeh I could hardly believe it.

"Hmm it's nice that Takeo and Rinko were able to overcome this first struggle so quickly. Of course, it won't be as easy for them to convince Rinko's friends...though that may not even be necessary. Oh well, let's see how they tackle this!"

"Oh...oh. To demonstrate how great Takeo is a fire breaks out and he, the selfless and plot-armored hero that he is, saves two of the friends... ... ... ... ... "

Shokugeki no Soma - 05

Apron-kun is proving to be quite interesting. Can't wait to see Erina stomped. Not happy seeing Meat is in her gang.

kinger256

As a Korean, I find this fascinating. Virtually every Korean I know views Japanese colonization very negatively, and for good reasons. Did Taiwan get treated differently or did the people react differently?

Yeah, at best texts are kind of ambivalent about being colonized or occupied. But, Cape No 7 is framed by the interracial romance between a Japanese man and a Taiwanese woman during WW2, and how it's tragic that they were forced to be separated because of the outcome of the war. That's mixed with a romance between a Taiwanese man and a Japanese woman in contemporary Taiwan, and how culturally there's a mutual relationship between the two cultures/nations.

Perhaps there's a similar relationship between India and England now, especially since independence was won relatively non-violently, but I have to imagine that there is still a lot of South Asian angst about the role of the British Empire in their lives.

Oh yeah, I've read some Korean po-co texts and they deal with the time with Japan in a very negative way. I know even less about Korean history though, but in terms of Taiwan, Taiwanese were conscripted into the Japanese army units and fought with them, so it was a fairly integrated part of Japan. To this day, there are still some Japanese loanwords that are used in Taiwan because of the fact that nearly everyone learned Japanese during the 50 years or so of Taiwanese rule.

Like, everyone in the movie speaks Japanese, except for the few times that we see private moments in the lives of the non-Japanese characters and they go back to Chinese or Hokkien. And there's no real judgement about the erasure of language that you get in say, North America or Australia, where there are dozens of aboriginal/native languages that are on the verge of extinction because these people were forced to learn English.

Edit: Actually, there's a scene where the players are in front of the Japanese press, and a Japanese reporter asks if the "savages" understand Japanese. "Ni-hon-gooooo?". It's probably as close to overt racism that you see in the movie, and the entire team - including the Japanese members of the team - bristle at the reporter's attitude.
It reminded me of the sort of implicit racism that immigrants sometimes face when it's expected that they just learn English in America... but with the twist being the immigrants actually know English.

Even before watching the movie as a baseball film, the context itself is just a very interesting perspective into Japanese history, especially since they are typically depicted as horrible Nazi-like villains in films of this nature.

I have heard the differences in colonial treatment between Korea and Taiwan generally rose from the differences in the context of the wars they fought to obtain them. The sino-Japanese war was an overwhelming Japanese victory with minimal losses. Japan was also able to extract large war reparations allowing them to become debtless and expend resources on industrializing Taiwan. The victory was also represented a validation of Japanese industrialization attempts and collapse the of Tianxia, instilling a large sense of national pride that would be the a core foundation of Japanese identity for the next half-century.

However, the annexation of Korea was completely different. The preceding Russo-Japanese war, despite the outcome, was economically disastrous for Japan. Japan did not have the resources to continue supplying its troops, and had the war gone on longer they would have lost had it not been for an attempted revolution in Russia. In the end, Japan did not receive a war indemnity and was only able to secure poor and underdeveloped lands. Feeling betrayed and embarrassed by its western allies for siding with Russia during the negotiations, Japan did not view the war as a victory and Korea was treated as a constant reminder of that. Subsequently, due to carrying a massive war debt, Japan decided to instead to treat Korea primarily as a place to extract resources, emulating western colonialism, and have Japanese assimilation as a later secondary objective.

Jex

Yep, as someone pointed out to me earlier, it's sort of like the relationship Okinawa has with "mainland" Japan.

(The only interesting thing about Eureka 7 AO was the idea of Okinawa becoming an independent nation).

Please never speak of that unspeakable travesty ever again.

ibyea

Banned

Yeah, I thought that was the best part of AO too. Heck, all the good parts were compressed at the beginning 2 or 3 episodes. The rest was just forgettable.

Blood Blockade Battlefront 3

On the one hand, Klaus gets more character depth here and we're introduced to a character who Looks like a female Vash.

On the other hand, I really could not care for the shows attempts at making this chess-esque game feel like a world ending scenario or for the guy Klaus trying to save.

ibyea

Banned
That's not the kind of mission one should be looking to undertake...unless you're watching the OVA of course. That's a work of genius.

The OVA was just hilarious. Honestly I enjoyed it more than most of the actual show. Heck, it reminded me of the 2 really silly episodes the original Eureka 7 had.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma 5

Seems like they started the absurdist food-gasm party early.

Jex

Episode 41

I thought this episode was a real step up from the norm, both in terms of the cinematography and the actual quality of the production (art and animation).

There were lots of neat flourishes, like: the canted camera shots, the unusual perspective (both high and low) and the split-screen effects:

The close-ups were also pretty great:

Even though the characters have been essentially immobile in a fairly small location for two episodes I wasn't bored by what was going on and a lot of that is due to the inventive cinematography.

/XX/

I was mostly going by this washiblog post:
storyboards are drawn on A-4 paper (generally) and contain most of the vital building blocks of an anime – (...) the length of each shot (or cut) in terms of seconds and frames (which we’ll explain later). Because the number of drawings available for an episode is often fixed for the sake of budget management, the number of frames is also carefully considered in the storyboards.
but I claim no knowledge of these things and am quite open to being corrected ! ;)
No, not a correction because obviously you and Washi are right. Just call it an "addendum" to what you said. :p

Sorry for insinuating a possible typo on your part, as I certainly am more accustomed to how most animators personalities I follow (and look for layouts and additional 'genga' of) are normally experienced and talented enough to determine on occasions by themselves what goes on their cuts, add more annotations to the time-sheets (or exposure-sheets) and decide on frame modulation and such on their own. As I see it, both situations co-exist and it certainly depends on the habitual procedures for each studio or project's staff, but we have to remember that even if there can be basic guidelines about a limiting or approximate number of animation sheets to be used overall and such, it ultimately boils down to the expertise of special key animators (KA) & animation directors or supervisors (AD), further down the road during the actual production work, in how to handle and fit that rough vision into something workable. In many projects that leeway grants further capabilities to these staffers for interpreting on their own personal ways how to achieve that vision adding something of their own.

To this effect, KAs have ways of communicating for better coordination with other staff members on how to better complement their personal approach to the cut, and that is why it is not only used the time-sheet and the modifications done to it (which can be seen on this decent explanation in English published in the Under the Dog Kickstarter page... special attention to the AniPages' good user H Park clarifications on the comments section) to express that but also something more immediate to notice for anyone handling the key animation sheets during supervision and 'in-betweening' processes, as are the timing graphs (can be done chronograph in hand by the KA too, visualizing the frames needed to generate a clear action). To better check it out, these following images as example present on a column explaining the animation production process at the official website of the studio MADHOUSE should suffice; notice each frame distribution in their drawn timeline, their number and how it affects the perception of movement... those are in the realm of a KA to solve for their assigned cuts and later proceed to hand over for further corrections.

This precision isn't in the rough initial perception of the frame count for 'e-konte' estimates but in the combination of personalities involved, fine-tuning it up to the defining touch of a unique animator's criteria.

DanMachi 05

I can't believe how nice of a guy Bell is, he's even apologizing to his innner psyche. What a swell dude.

Episode was lewd, Hestia proved why she is the alpha girl of this show.

FIREBOLTO! FIREBOLTO!

Black Lagoon - 01

This was very entertaining. Revy is great, I enjoy her attitude. I'm tempted to check out how the dubbed Revy will perform in the long run.
Dubbed sounds like my hot-tempered chain smoking aunt stuck in traffic, so I can imagine some great stuff. Overall on the cast I like the sub better so I'll probably do dub on a possible re watch.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Toradora 1-26

What a great show, well they actually kissed in less than 100 episodes, that's something to celebrate about. But seriously everyone in the group could use some therapist. I guess shock therapy plus punching each other does the same.

I like how the girl fights in the show, instead of just pulling hairs and slapping each other, they really went gungho on each other.

I should had watch this a lot earlier, so glad I finally did after ask about it in figureGAF.

Jex

Is there a reason Masao Maruyama hasn't turned to Kickstarter to get Kon's 'The Dreaming Machine' funded?

It could be any number of reasons. The first that springs to mind is that making a movie is extremely expensive so Kickstarter might not be able to provide the level of funding required especially considering how often Kickstarter rewawrds eat up the 'profits' of the Kickstarter itself.

More importantly, I imagine, is the concern with failure. If you have trouble securing investment for a film then so be it, you put the project to one side and look to return to it later with different investors. However, if you run a large-scale Kickstarter campaign and that fails, it seems to be sending a pretty clear message e.g. that this movie will never be a success and therefore no-one in the future would be likely to consider funding it either. It would have to be a truly last resort because there is no coming back from that kind of failure.

Spot

Whats the best way to watch Evangelion?
There is the original anime series but there are a lot of side content as well. What movies should I watch/avoid?

TUSR

Banned
There is the original anime series but there are a lot of side content as well. What movies should I watch/avoid?
1-26 original run
End of Evangelion

Decide from there if you want to watch the rebuilds.

cj_iwakura

Watch the original then maybe the rebuild films. I'm not a fan of the first film(End of Evangelion) at all, but if you must watch it, you have to watch the show first. It's an ending, not a retelling.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The Disappearance of Yuki Nagato 1-5:

Should be renamed The NTR of Yuki Nagato. Get it the fuck together Kyon.

Well whatever. Art and animation suck anyway. Nagato is the only reason I'm watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom