• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Death Parade - 12

Can't believe this show has slipped away from radar for so long, really glad I took the time to sit down and watch the entirety of its 12 episodes from beginning to end.

The show could've easily been "feature the new couple each week" type of show but really glad it wasn't and instead opted to go through an in-depth exploration of the human emotion.

Thoraxes

I couldn't care if Japan came to my godamn house, painted the show into my eyeballs and had the VA act out their lines into my ears. I'm not paying £500 for Gurren Lagann.

That is an insane price for insane people who are bonkers.

I'm not insane!

If I wanted to watch low quality versions of the show, I would just watch the official streams from CR/Funi/Daisuki/etc. Go big or go home.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Or you could just ask for it to come out on BD in a no thrills release so you get quality at a reasonable price like the Cowboy Bebop compete set in the UK. There is a middle ground between watching 480p streams and £500 releases.

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor 1

Well, despite nothing really being explained, it was a fairly standard introduction. Aliens/monster attack island, conventional weapons are useless, grab a high school student and throw him in a mech. Let's see where this goes.

Kvik

Hmmmm new thread smell. I've been playing Pillars of Eternity, so there's some Anime backlog building.

Akatsuki no Yona has a very abrupt ending. Season 2 when? Also I'm looking forward to Sidonia no Kishi, even though I'm not really keen on their character design in season 1.

Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor 1

Well, despite nothing really being explained, it was a fairly standard introduction. Aliens/monster attack island, conventional weapons are useless, grab a high school student and throw him in a mech. Let's see where this goes.

Keep watching. The series was enjoyable, albeit a rather underrated one.

Sölf

Gintama 261

qqdHW5h.gif

And with that you have finished the best animated arc (imo).

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Yoru no yatterman 12
This episode is jiggly-jiggly heaven, in a way that so many part are missing.
What could've been a great closing turn into a mess. Oh well.
Overall, i enjoy the show. It have great opener episode with mediocre middle due to joke is mostly a miss for me.

Parasyte 24

It end. A bit too preachy for my taste, but at least it end without much of a hitch. Show have great start, but honestly it peak during Tamura Reiko arc. The later part is okay.
I wish there's more adaptation of already completed manga like this one.

Jarmel

Banned
God fucking damn it. Duckroll actually might win. That said, it also might not air this year so AquaWateria still has a chance.

Wasn't there some kind of bet on Noragami getting another season or not? (edit: I see, involved Duckroll)

Anyways, though the show had some fun moments it was merely alright in my book. Best thing about it were the amazing OP and quite good ED.

Jarmel

Banned
Noragami was a Studio A production, same one as Blood Blockade Battlefront. So the earliest possible airdate would have to be Fall unless they're rushing it.

Woo looking forward to it. And more Taku Iwasaki goodness.

So is this adapting more of the manga. Does
Yukine
stop being a little shit in later chapters? Does
Hiyori
get to do more?

It's merely ok. One character kind of ruins the show. Great animation and music though.

Yes the character gets better.

phaze

Well, it's a monster of the week show in quotes, I would say. It's really a character drama, the monster of the week part is usually put to start the plot rolling.

I don't disagree but that character drama is tied (so far at least) to discovering truth and reason of each Mononoke so I think the term still applies. And it better relays the self contained nature of the stories, something I tend to not fare well with, hence my surprise.

I haven't watched anything Wing related in over decade because I basically consider it to be the low point of the entire franchise (at least prior to Age coming along), but isn't the plot of Endless Waltz basically "all this bad stuff couldn't be stopped because we got rid of the Gundams, but let's get rid of them again anyway at the end".

Earth and colonies seemingly got rid of their entire military equipment too.
Outside of Tallgeese.

I think when you're at the point of piloting humanoid robots no one is really going to question the need for flapping wings in space.
I'm not even bothered about the plausibility, it's just that it looks silly as hell.
need an anime recommendation:

so im pretty picky about my anime

only shonen i really liked have been one piece and hunter x hunter and i still find both only decent at best

just finished hunter x hunter, never finished one piece but i watched like ~150 eps and for some reason stopped watching.

anyways lookin for a new anime to watch, has to be either on netflix instant on crunchyroll.

my fav anime ever is serial experiment lain. kinda looking for a darker themed anime, maybe horror-ish?

dont know much about parasyte but isnt it based on a horror manga? it worth watching? it scary/dark/bleak/etc.?

Gonna parrot the Fate/Zero and Mononoke recommendation. F/Z is still an action show but it gets really dark and grim, especially in the second half. Mononoke has some creepy and unsettling moments.

I wouldn't bother with Parasyte.

Is Noragami actually any good?

It's okay with good to great action.

Cornbread78

no offense, but i cant get into anything that has this sort of art style:

Shin Sekai Yori

b4befa6e58687a64462a3511062bbfe11348858764_full.jpg

Madoka Magica

happy.jpg

might have a great story n shit, but yeah, aint my type of thang

I just finished Madoka myself and it really is something to cringe and cry along with..

I'll be starting from a New World thus afternoon, regardless of the artstyle, the story sounds interesting.

Pooya

what's bad about shin sekai yori's style? :( the show doesn't look like that key art anyway, it's all brown and "gritty"...

-----------------

noragami s2? yay something decent is actually coming this year...

Eureka Seven - 20

This is going all out Evangelion huh, me likes. Seriously though, from the LFOs' designs, to the blood (-like) fluid running through them and them having a consciousness as well as being able to go into some kind of berserk mode, I can't help but draw a connection. Same goes for the physical and mental torment our MC goes through and the more psychedelic moments. I'm not calling it a rip-off though, just plenty similar themes which I do appreciate.

A minor issue of mine I still have with this show is how often it directly allures to s.th. without talking straight already. When Talho talks to Holland for the 20ieth time (and acknowledges that at least) about Holland just running away from his problems and mentions that Renton is the smaller brother of "you know who", eh. If you're in private just say the darn name. It's clear as could be that Renton's sister plays a major role (so far she kinda reminded me off Oreki's sister in Hyouka with how elusive she is. It's not really the same, but just a thought I had) and it's just a bit tiring getting teased about that constantly. In general I prefer it if a show keeps its hints subtle if the occasion is still far off and talks straight once it arrives.

The violence Holland exerts over Renton is also just a tad too over the top for me. It's an adult that punches and dashes around a 14 year old to such a degree that I can't help but wonder why the crew doesn't intervene more than it does. I mean it gets acknowledged, sure, but there's just a bit of a disconnect on how extreme it feels to me. It does work in the sense that it's "anime violence" so that Renton almost just shrugs off some major blows to his head and jaw without getting a major injury really, but I was never a fan of displaying it that way anyways. At least the psychological damage is as severe as should be.

So guys ... i've watched absolute duo, seiken tsukai, unlimited fafnir, and testament ...

so what was missing ?

ISUCA.

Isuca - 02

This is the one i had the most trouble .
>The MC is bland ( yes blander than the previous MC ) , the cat girl is cute , with some work , she could reach cajun-tier one day , but right now , she is far from it.
The main girl ??? generic tsundere ..i mean she shouldn't appear generic, but toradora happenned already years ago .

So i'm troughly disapointed by ISUCA right now, the censoring is horrible, the blood effects on screen LAUGHABLE and the biggest offender is without a doubt the balance between low moments and high moments ..the pacing is all over the place and some of the events are predictable to a point , you wonder if the personne writting this was looking at a checklist.

Again i realise that saying this after watching , all the other offenders of last season seems redundant , it really isn't.
Testament had the super lewd censoring, but it also had a story that tried to go powerlevels. U .Fafnir still tried to quickly plant seeds for some ambigous standings within that trouble. Absolute duo ended badly but aside from useless girl , this was a painless ride. Seiken tsukai was just dumbed down by poor animation.

But ISUCA ?
Poor animation.
Very weak main heroine.
CENSORING
Very poor pacing

Please improve ..please improve

Don't get your hopes up. The weird monster design and the glimpses of dark moments held me hostage to the end. I'm like a stupid monkey who never learns.

sadface.jpg

--------------------
Isuca - 03

Isuca feels like an anime trapped in the 2000's

Suddenly fanservice !
Suddenly a monster !

How many times are you going to say "stop it" , in front of your current ennemy without doing anything else.. no amount of " he had an hostage" is enough to justify this scene. the only one with talents so far is the teacher and goddam , she hides her cards well.

Say all you want about fafnir or absolute duo or seiken tsukai , but they never went so low.
^^^^^^
LOL..

You're doing a great job /s

The MC has become a magic battery

Cornbread78

Yona of the Dawn Ep. 17-25/END S1
Well, this been has been really good so far, full of action and adventure outside of the little lul in the middle. There is a lot of character building built into it as well, however, it really almost does feel like another Harem aime at times though in the way it is presented at time (I'm sure that is on purpose). It was a really stupid way to
introduce the 4th dragon though
you would think they would have spent more time getting there, rather than "poof, I'm here"
It's a shame the series is over for now. Have they officially announced a season 2 or when when they might start airing it? I searches Google, but nothing concrete appeared. There is a lot of room for growth in the series and obviously, they have already started working on the plot line and events with some of the pictures we have seen, as well as the closing monologue to the season.

I'm looking forward to Yona killing the girly man with her hair piece. Also, Yona should heed her father's wish, so she becomes queen and Hak becomes the mighty king.
Hak:
I really feel bad for him so far, he is so conflicted about Sou-Wan, their friendship, the Kings death and esp. his place in Yona's heart as well as his own. Yona doesn't take the time to help him grieve even though he has put his life on the line and almost died for her a couple time now, she is complacent and wavers still, she owes her life to that man, Is she gettign stronger for him as she hints at, or is it for her own dragonic reasons?....
selfish woman..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom