• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Have to admit its been a long time since I was really happy/enthused with a Spielberg film (hell I don't think I've seen any since Tintin and the last film I really liked was Saving Private Ryan). I liked Super 8 more than anything he's done in years.

So I would have preferred JJ doing this.
I think the joke I made when I first heard the news is that now Spielberg is doing his own Super 8. 80s nostalgia via the person that everyone is nostalgic about.

Sterok

Yuri Kuma 12

So they did go for the turn into a bear ending. Kind of saw that one coming, but it was inevitable I suppose. And now Sumika. I don't even know what to think. The girl walking out was nice I guess. Lulu at least seems happy. Not sure I like the ambiguous deaths ending the show.

Well, that was interesting. I knew it would be weird, but that didn't make it less so. I don't think I ever understood all the imagery and symbolism. And while most of the bears were decent characters, all the humans were pretty one note. But it wasn't bad. I think. At least, I'm happy that I watched it.

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road 24/FINAL

Pretty fantastic finale, I gotta say I never thought I would love a cycling anime so much. The characters are all full of life and just great overall. Definitely one of my favorites this season. The manga is still coming out and is pretty good, so hopefully when they progress a suitable amount of chapters we'll get a season 3.

Yowamushi Pedal GR 24

ONODA!!!!!!!!!! Pretty great ending and everyone went all out.

I wonder what the movie will be about.

they're making a movie?

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road 24/FINAL

Pretty fantastic finale, I gotta say I never thought I would love a cycling anime so much. The characters are all full of life and just great overall. Definitely one of my favorites this season. The manga is still coming out and is pretty good, so hopefully when they progress a suitable amount of chapters we'll get a season 3.

they're making a movie?

Yes, it's an original story by the mangaka, apparently.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
So Thoraxes gave me a heads up that a Senran Kagura OVA was out. Watched it and was amazed at what I saw. Thanks for looking out bro!

So Thoraxes gave me a heads up that a Senran Kagura OVA was out. Watched it and was amazed at what I saw. Thanks for looking out bro!
While you're around you should watch the Strike Witches OVAs that are coming out. The newest one is a Shirley/Luchinni episode and I remember you saying that was your favorite pair!

FluxWaveZ

6GZfKZL.png
Seemingly a new "Cyborg 009" anime, to go with the series' 50th anniversary. (Sorry if old, I searched and couldn't find anything)

[Source]

Instro

Yatterman was one of those complete out of the blue surprises that ended up being probably my favourite show of the season. This is the show that JJ Abrams wishes he had the talent to make when he ruined Star Trek forever, and it should serve as a blueprint for how to do soft-reboots of dormant franchises.

As someone who has no attachment to the Yatterman franchise, I could enjoy the show on its own terms, but I could see the nods to the old fans and an acknowledgement of the metatextual nature of very nature of reversing the hero/villain dynamic of the original. I can only imagine what a fan of the original would have thought about this show, but I'd hope that they'd appreciate that they took a cheesy concept from a long distant past and updated it in a way that was both reverent of the source material but was also creative and engaging to watch on its own.

When I imagine what the people working on Saekano must be like when they slave away at their desks, I assume they feel dead inside and are drawing key frames of the girls harassing the hapless protagonist while thinking of their next paycheck or hoping that their studio gets something worthwhile to animate next season. Yatterman, on the other hand, feels like a show that people who worked on it actually gave a shit and cared about putting their best foot forward.

As far as original, one off shows go, this will probably end up being the best show of the year barring anything exceptional coming out of left field in the next few seasons.

I meant to watch this during the season but I didn't get around to it outside of the first episode which seemed pretty compelling. I'll have to get back to it after I catch up on the rest of the stuff I'm behind on.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I know you love Saekano firehawk, you don't need to be so tsun.

WorldStar

Banned
need an anime recommendation:

so im pretty picky about my anime

only shonen i really liked have been one piece and hunter x hunter and i still find both only decent at best

just finished hunter x hunter, never finished one piece but i watched like ~150 eps and for some reason stopped watching.

anyways lookin for a new anime to watch, has to be either on netflix instant on crunchyroll.

my fav anime ever is serial experiment lain. kinda looking for a darker themed anime, maybe horror-ish?

dont know much about parasyte but isnt it based on a horror manga? it worth watching? it scary/dark/bleak/etc.?

dont know much about parasyte but isnt it based on a horror manga? it worth watching? it scary/dark/bleak/etc.?

Shin Sekai Yori, available on Crunchyroll. Seems like something that'd immediately up your alley if you're looking for something on the darker end of the spectrum. And though it's not made immediately obvious at first it's actually a really well crafted SciFi.

Madoka Magica (also available on Crunchyroll) is also a surprisingly bleak and dark show despite its appearances. Without going into too much detail it's just something you'll have to experience yourself. Very highly regarded overall.

Parasyte starts out strong but just sort of fizzles out in its second half, honestly I'd say it's a pretty middling show.

WorldStar

Banned
Shin Sekai Yori, available on Crunchyroll. Seems like something that'd immediately up your alley if you're looking for something on the darker end of the spectrum. And though it's not made immediately obvious at first it's actually a really well crafted SciFi.

Madoka Magica (also available on Crunchyroll) is also a surprisingly bleak and dark show despite its appearances. Without going into too much detail it's just something you'll have to experience yourself. Very highly regarded overall.

Parasyte starts out strong but just sort of fizzles out in its second half, honestly I'd say it's a pretty middling show.

no offense, but i cant get into anything that has this sort of art style:

Shin Sekai Yori

b4befa6e58687a64462a3511062bbfe11348858764_full.jpg

Madoka Magica

happy.jpg

might have a great story n shit, but yeah, aint my type of thang

Mature

is it good?

would watch texhnolyze but i dont think it is streaming on crunchyroll/prime/netflix
All due respect to cosmic, but no. I don't think it ended up very good at all. I think especially if you find yourself with more discerning tastes that Parasyte will probably disappoint you.

All due respect to cosmic, but no. I don't think it ended up very good at all. I think especially if you find yourself with more discerning tastes that Parasyte will probably disappoint you.

I mostly said it because it has mainstream appeal and someone who rarely watches anime outside of well-known stuff likely wouldn't notice and/or forgive some of the more glaring flaws.

No guarantees obviously, but I feel it can at least be given a shot.

Clov

Eh, I don't really get passing up shows based on art style. I don't think there's ever been a show where I saw the art style and hated it enough to pass it over. For example, Kaiji looks ugly as hell, but I love it! There's a fantastic, intense gambling anime beneath all those terrifying noses. If you can look past a show's appearance, you'll be able to find a lot of great stuff beneath.

In any case, for you I'd recommend Flowers of Evil. If you like Lain, I'm sure you can appreciate slower paced anime. If you want something dark, then this ought to work. It's not a horror, but it builds up dread like no other. It should be on Crunchyroll.

Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road END

That was a really good finale. It's refreshing
to have a sports show where the protagonists actually win for a change.
Thankfully we're getting more of this with the film, hopefully a season 3 eventually comes too.

Shin Sekai Yori

Madoka Magica

happy.jpg

You're missing out on 2 of the best anime to come out in the last 10 years then.

But to be fair, I can understand feeling like that towards Madoka. I ignored it for years since I thought it was just a regular magical girl show. I started watching it when some other gaffers that were also LTTP started to post their impressions and that got me intrigued.

Eh, I don't really get passing up shows based on art style. I don't think there's ever been a show where I saw the art style and hated it enough to pass it over. For example, Kaiji looks ugly as hell, but I love it! There's a fantastic, intense gambling anime beneath all those terrifying noses.

You dissin that great FKMT style?

FluxWaveZ

Eh, I don't really get passing up shows based on art style. I don't think there's ever been a show where I saw the art style and hated it enough to pass it over. For example, Kaiji looks ugly as hell, but I love it! There's a fantastic, intense gambling anime beneath all those terrifying noses. If you can look past a show's appearance, you'll be able to find a lot of great stuff beneath.

Clannad is the ugliest thing ever and a big part of the reason why I didn't manage to stick with it is because of its art style. Might try it again at some point, but eh.

Meanwhile, I'm fine with unconventional looking shows. I think Ping Pong looks great, and the same goes for what I've seen of Kaiji.

Clov

You dissin that great FKMT style?

I'm just saying Kaiji isn't exactly a looker! It works with the show and all, but it's still not a "pretty" sort of style, you know? :p

Clannad is the ugliest thing ever and a big part of the reason why I didn't manage to stick with it is because of its art style. Might try it again at some point, but eh.

Meanwhile, I'm fine with unconventional looking shows. I think Ping Pong looks great, and the same goes for what I've seen of Kaiji.

Yeah, Ping-Pong's fantastic! Tekkonkinkreet is based off a work by the same mangaka, and it's also really good. Not quite as good as Ping-Pong, but worth a watch for sure.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I meant to watch this during the season but I didn't get around to it outside of the first episode which seemed pretty compelling. I'll have to get back to it after I catch up on the rest of the stuff I'm behind on.
I definitely think it's worth watching myself, but I'll qualify that by saying that some people don't like how it turns out. I think it's great way to re-imagine a franchise though, and I actually liked the tone they took with it since there is a realization that the whole concept is camp, but they also don't try to be too clever with it which would have made it insufferable.

I know you love Saekano firehawk, you don't need to be so tsun.
The only thing bad about Saekano is that it's just too good.

Syrinx

No Game No Life is the only show visually offensive enough to me that I won't even consider watching it, though other undesirable factors come into play there.

Judging books by their covers, man. You wanted dark, bleak, scary and these two shows bring the heat in that department.

However I'll second :

In any case, for you I'd recommend Flowers of Evil. If you like Lain, I'm sure you can appreciate slower paced anime. If you want something dark, then this ought to work. It's not a horror, but it builds up dread like no other. It should be on Crunchyroll.

With the Flowers of Evil recommendation. It both looks the part in terms of differentiating itself from the majority of anime but, as Clov said, is a show that builds up dread like no other.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

Takahata at his best, it's astounding how much passion he can put into his films without the need for a bombastic approach.

A shame that this didn't get the recognition it deserved, considering it's better than p. much all the tripe that was released last year, but if you missed out on this absolute gem then you still have a chance to redeem yourself and order the blu-ray today.

ibyea

Banned

Shin Sekai Yori

Madoka Magica

happy.jpg

How about Monster? It's a thriller/mystery show about chasing a serial killer. It has a more realistic art style and has the dark subject matter that you are looking for.

fertygo

Koufuku Graffiti - 12

And thus the best show of the season ended ;_____;
Show's really fuzzy and warm to watch from the start, well made in every aspect even the preview!

And as moe slice-of-life its surprisingly have quite a bit character development and unique sub-theme with passing grandma. Really satisfying watch.

Btw I can't believe the teacher character not made significant appearance to the very end lmao.

Hoping for S2 but last time I checked the sales aren't good ;_______;

Instro

so im pretty picky about my anime

only shonen i really liked have been one piece and hunter x hunter and i still find both only decent at best

just finished hunter x hunter, never finished one piece but i watched like ~150 eps and for some reason stopped watching.

anyways lookin for a new anime to watch, has to be either on netflix instant on crunchyroll.

my fav anime ever is serial experiment lain. kinda looking for a darker themed anime, maybe horror-ish?

Maybe a few that might work for you:

Casshern Sins
Mononoke
Shiki
Black Lagoon
X
Skull Man
Fate/Zero

Not sure which, if any are available on crunchy/netflix though. You might also look into Perfect Blue if you want some horror.

Conan-san

And you'll get bad quality to match that price.
I couldn't care if Japan came to my godamn house, painted the show into my eyeballs and had the VA act out their lines into my ears. I'm not paying £500 for Gurren Lagann.

That is an insane price for insane people who are bonkers.

Hamst3r

kinda looking for a darker themed anime

scary/dark/bleak/etc.?

Madoka Magica

Get over it and watch the fantastic, dark, and bleak show that Madoka Magica is! Come on. :D

Anyway, I have no idea what you've already seen, so here's a short list without any popular series omitted:

Crunchyroll:
Another
Mononoke
Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor
Mushi-Shi: The Next Passage

Netflix:
Psycho-Pass
Attack on Titan
Death Note

Amazon:
Ghost Hound

-

Give those a try. Mushi-shi isn't all dark and bleak, often just mysterious, but there are several episodes in there where the show gets much darker and is better for it. Ghost Hound has an insanely slow start, but I found it thoroughly enjoyable by the conclusion. Kaiji isn't horror in the traditional sense, but it's jam-packed with horrible people and messed-up situations.

Anyway, best stuff I can think of that's still available on those 3 services. Oh and, Madoka Magica. DO IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom