• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Surprisingly well done Bones adaptation from last year with a made for TV ending that didn't retroactively make the entire series worse (sup Chaika and Soul Eater). Next to Space Dandy it was probably one of their best works in 2014.

Edit : Not that I'm implying that the show is on the level of Space Dandy but it was a surprisingly consistent product when all was said and done.
That still doesn't really answer my question. I need a hook!

Laughing under the clouds Shirasu even. One of the best characters.
CBby9EEUYAASiSq.jpg:large

phaze

That still doesn't really answer my question. I need a hook!

32db47cb679622f910403e24cecf3f08.gif

Durarara x2 07-12

This whole cour was a giant meh for me. I'd have to go back to first season to put my finger on why exactly this feels so off but I think it's safe to say that production values dropped significantly and the direction was just subpar. The first arc was still somewhat digestible but this one was just poor, even horrid at times. The last episode was a bit stronger, seeing Shizuo go ham is always fun to watch, but it's not nearly enough. Storywise this was a weird retread of the Drrr's second cour, with another gang going after Dollars and with the consequences of Dollars structures rearing its ugly head again. After 12 episodes of being a bitch, Mikado received some character development (though his decision seems supremely dumb to me) but it feels like his decision should have been made already after the alteration with Yellow Scarfs. Dunno if I will continue with this in the Summer.

Though watching Varona trying to measure up to Saika, Celty and Shizuo was pretty funny.

Well fuck I most likely lost this bet. I mean what's the chance of this airing in 2016.

Seriously I thought there wasn't enough source material. Oh well it doesn't matter because at least its a great series. Duckroll getting lucky huh.

You probably should have done your research.

There are 12 volumes out of the manga and the anime only covered up to the end of volume 4 with the Yukine arc before they spun off to their own stuff.

cajunator

Banned
Nadesico (Everything Else)

I still lack the full context for everything regarding this anime, but it held up pretty well for my first viewing of it. The twists at the end regarding
time travel
were pulled off smoothly enough, and the moment near the end of the series when the Jovians
end up shooting one of their own because Gekiganger has given them a black and white idea of "justice"
was pretty powerful. Like,
they basically killed Gai twice
. A real robot series with super robot spirit - it had a certain lightness to it that makes it feel not so much like a war story at times, while still delivering emotional moments like Ruri's entire episode. Good stuff.

Nadesico is an absolute classic! Good to see it still being relevant to people.

Cyberteam in Akihabara (Entire Series)

For a magical girl-esque series, only two of the girls - the lead heroine and the mysterious newcomer - ended up actually "transforming". It's more like a monster series crossed with something that resembles Evangelion - and like Utena, it involved a castle in the sky, only
this one was real. I'm not sure what the deal with Takeshi was at the end,
but Hibari's desire to
stay behind, because Akiba at least has the possibility of change, unlike waiting things out in space with Crane
makes sense, even if it felt kinda anticlimactic. All the conspiracy/world history stuff was an interesting angle, but it always felt disconnected from both the trio of villainesses and the Cyberteam. The moments when the villains were by themselves did cast them in a largely positive light, especially compared to Rosenkreuntz. It wasn't really anything like I was expecting it to be, but it did hold my attention. A fascinating product of its era.

This perhaps a bit less classic than Nadesico and that art style takes some getting used to, but I enjoyed it too. These shows awaken nostalgia in me big time.

YuriKuma is about how AnimeGAF rejects other fans of anime for not following the ways of "accepted taste" and excludes them behind the wall known as the Attack of Titan OT.

This is a very fitting analogy!

need an anime recommendation:

so im pretty picky about my anime

only shonen i really liked have been one piece and hunter x hunter and i still find both only decent at best

just finished hunter x hunter, never finished one piece but i watched like ~150 eps and for some reason stopped watching.

anyways lookin for a new anime to watch, has to be either on netflix instant on crunchyroll.

my fav anime ever is serial experiment lain. kinda looking for a darker themed anime, maybe horror-ish?

dont know much about parasyte but isnt it based on a horror manga? it worth watching? it scary/dark/bleak/etc.?

Watch Paranoia Agent. Its dark, and can get quite on the horror side of things, but not graphically bloody or anything. More psychological thriller type.

no offense, but i cant get into anything that has this sort of art style:

Shin Sekai Yori

b4befa6e58687a64462a3511062bbfe11348858764_full.jpg

Madoka Magica

happy.jpg

might have a great story n shit, but yeah, aint my type of thang

I understand you have a disdain for cute art style, but Shin Sekai Yori is NOT a cute show. the style is a lot more fitting than you might think and the scenery is very very dark and foreboding and mysterious. I think you would really like it.

Midonin

Adolescence of Utena

While I could see some of the DNA of Kill La Kill in the series, it seems that KLK is probably more descended from the movie's take on things. Anthy is more proactive, Utena is more sullen, and Touga looks to have taken Akio's place in the universe. There are familiar elements there - like Nanami still being around(?) - and for the most part, I thought the movie was conveying the same themes as the series, just in a slightly rearranged fashion, commenting on itself.
Going from how a prince is something that Utena keeps doing to make herself feel better to something that essentially doesn't exist at all.

I liked that the yuri level was much less ambiguous than the TV series, and all but confirmed at the end. But that ending. I know the same concept was used for episode 3's MotW in Sailor Moon S, which Ikuhara also directed, but
Utena turning into a car? And the castle being real? And on wheels? And Shiori's also a car?

It was certainly striking imagery, but I'm not sure how much of it means something and how much of it was done just to look cool. But all the symbolism and interpretations of it are up to me, and bringing in something so explicitly modern to a style of storytelling that dates back to medieval times probably is saying something about how society has progressed... maybe. It wouldn't be out of place with the lyrics. But that's not how I expected "Absolute Destiny Apocalypse" to be used.

It was a good movie and visually very distinct. Just those last 20 minutes or so are so whack.

Jex

no offense, but i cant get into anything that has this sort of art style:

Shin Sekai Yori

b4befa6e58687a64462a3511062bbfe11348858764_full.jpg

might have a great story n shit, but yeah, aint my type of thang
Really, the art style of From the New World is that bad? How? Why?
Eh, I don't really get passing up shows based on art style. I don't think there's ever been a show where I saw the art style and hated it enough to pass it over. For example, Kaiji looks ugly as hell, but I love it! There's a fantastic, intense gambling anime beneath all those terrifying noses. If you can look past a show's appearance, you'll be able to find a lot of great stuff beneath.

In any case, for you I'd recommend Flowers of Evil. If you like Lain, I'm sure you can appreciate slower paced anime. If you want something dark, then this ought to work. It's not a horror, but it builds up dread like no other. It should be on Crunchyroll.

I mean, I can understand it. Anime is a visual medium and so I'd expect a series to display some visual charisma. I just don't see what's so offence about the art for From the New World, beyond the human character designs being kinda bland.
No Game No Life is the only show visually offensive enough to me that I won't even consider watching it, though other undesirable factors come into play there.

While that show is basically awful digital composition vomited everywhere I find the content to be more offensive than the visuals.

Cornbread78

Really, the art style of From the New World is that bad? How? Why?

I mean, I can understand it. Anime is a visual medium and so I'd expect a series to display some visual charisma. I just don't see what's so offence about the art for From the New World, beyond the human character designs being kinda bland.

While that show is basically awful digital composition vomited everywhere I find the content to be more offensive than the visuals.

Actually, the child to teen transformations have been pretty good thus far. If nothing else, the artist are pretty good overall.

Jex

Eureka Seven - 20
[...]
The violence Holland exerts over Renton is also just a tad too over the top for me. It's an adult that punches and dashes around a 14 year old to such a degree that I can't help but wonder why the crew doesn't intervene more than it does. I mean it gets acknowledged, sure, but there's just a bit of a disconnect on how extreme it feels to me. It does work in the sense that it's "anime violence" so that Renton almost just shrugs off some major blows to his head and jaw without getting a major injury really, but I was never a fan of displaying it that way anyways. At least the psychological damage is as severe as should be.

Like many, many aspects of Eureka 7 the Holland/Renton relationship is a reference to another mecha anime, Gundam 0079, specifically the Bright Noa/Amuro Ray relationship. Let me also tell you that the kind of violence that's inflicted by adults on kinds in Gundam shows is several orders of magntiude more harsh than the way Holland treats Renton.

duckrolllllllllllllllllllllllll

Jarmel

Banned
Physical abuse is portrayed in a much more negative light in Eureka Seven compared to a typical Gundam series. Amuro's (and later Kamille) abuse is almost potrayed in a positive light in that nobody calls Bright out on being an asshole and the abuse largely seems to work. "Man up" seems to be accompanied with a slap. Tomino has been accused multiple times of being a misanthrope and I'm inclined to believe it.

In Eureka Seven's case, the crew is fairly disgusted by Holland's behavior (as they should be) but they don't protest too much. It ties into a large theme of maturity in that Holland acts like someone Renton's age instead of an actual adult.
This builds up and culminates with Renton leaving and later Eureka pointing out Holland's jealousy in ep.26

Cornbread78

Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World): EP. 9-14
The story is starting to settle down a little bit now, and the whole
timeless age thing is kinda creapy
Looks like Saki will be busy for a long time..... I'm still a little confused on the structure of society now and all the colonies for the differnt species... They hint at minor changes, but do not expound on those....
This is a strange dark one for sure..

Jarmel

Banned
Reflecting on it, it's really impressive how good Eureka Seven's writing was. They were able to take so many characters and not only develop them but also have their development tie into the larger themes of the work. Very few works are able to handle an ensemble cast that well.

They even had character development for the damn kids.

Jex

Reflecting on it, it's really impressive how good Eureka Seven's writing was. They were able to take so many characters and not only develop them but also have their development tie into the larger themes of the work. Very few works are able to handle an ensemble cast that well.

I mean, that's totally true and one of the many reasons I appreciated the series more when I rewatched but it's also far longer than many modern shows. You can't really do an ensemble cast in anything less than 24 episodes, unless your show is fairly light on 'plot'.

I mean, a 50 episode original series that doesn't tie-into a pre-existing media property or current trend or anything? Sheer extravagance!

Jarmel

Banned
I mean, that's totally true and one of the many reasons I appreciated the series more when I rewatched but it's also far longer than many modern shows. You can't really do an ensemble cast in anything less than 24 episodes, unless your show is fairly light on 'plot'.

I mean, a 50 episode original series that doesn't tie-into a pre-existing media property or current trend or anything? Sheer extravagance!

Not to mention it was actually serial. How many 50 episode shows don't have lengthy MOTW segments?

The whole thing nowadays is just completely inconceivable. A children's show showing people getting
dismembered and blown up.

phaze

Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World): EP. 9-14
The story is starting to settle down a little bit now, and the whole
timeless age thing is kinda creapy
Looks like Saki will be busy for a long time..... I'm still a little confused on the structure of society now and all the colonies for the differnt species... They hint at minor changes, but do not expound on those....
This is a strange dark one for sure..

You're quickly approaching the best arc of the show.

Every day that goes by, we are less likely to get Digimon Tri. this season.

Toei is just too busy dumping all their money and animators into the superior nostalgiabait show of the season.
leo-2aes4k.png

Eureka Seven - 29

With what's just about the most awkward and random timing, Talho finally decides to be the character to spill the beans about Eureka, 29 episodes in. So this land Scub Coral may be a sentient being called the 'Coralian'. Eureka happens to be a humanoid Coralian, so we aren't actually told what this entails. Like, seriously, even under 4 eyes Renton is pretty much just "you're you and I don't really care about any of that". What kind of 'birth' she had, what her youth were or anything...yet to be talked about I suppose. Typing all this I'm wondering what Renton's role in all this plays. Since he and Eureka both have this special connection to one-another and the Nirvash, maybe Renton himself is a Coralian himself, claimed as son by Adroc as a means of protection (shortly before Adroc's death). And who knows what else there is to Renton's mother and sister hmm...

Well curious about more revelations.

edit:
PS: Those children do kinda go on my nerves by now. They aren't even badly written but they're still 80% nagging little shits and I still don't know why they see Eureka as their mother considering what she's done. I mean, I assume the buggers didn't know it was her who
murdered their families and friends
and just took her as savior or s.th. Still, while not an important detail I'm kinda wondering why that isn't better explained.

ibyea

Banned

Yeah, I doubt we will get something like this in the near future ever again.

Not to mention it was actually serial. How many 50 episode shows don't have lengthy MOTW segments?

The whole thing nowadays is just completely inconceivable. A children's show showing people getting
dismembered and blown up.

Hah, yeah I was surprised at how grim it becomes.

ibyea

Banned
Eureka Seven - 29

With what's just about the most awkward and random timing, Talho finally decides to be the character to spill the beans about Eureka, 29 episodes in. So this land Scub Coral may be a sentient being called the 'Coralian'. Eureka happens to be a humanoid Coralian, so we aren't actually told what this entails. Like, seriously, even under 4 eyes Renton is pretty much just "you're you and I don't really care about any of that". What kind of 'birth' she had, what her youth were or anything...yet to be talked about I suppose. Typing all this I'm wondering what Renton's role in all this plays. Since he and Eureka both have this special connection to one-another and the Nirvash, maybe Renton himself is a Coralian himself, claimed as son by Adroc as a means of protection (shortly before Adroc's death). And who knows what else there is to Renton's mother and sister hmm...

Well curious about more revelations.

edit:
PS: Those children do kinda go on my nerves by now. They aren't even badly written but they're still 80% nagging little shits and I still don't know why they see Eureka as their mother considering what she's done. I mean, I assume the buggers didn't know it was her who
murdered their families and friends
and just took her as savior or s.th. Still, while not an important detail I'm kinda wondering why that isn't better explained.

I hated those kids too, don't worry, everyone does.

Cornbread78

You're quickly approaching the best arc

Wonderful, something to look forward to tomorrow then question though.

Will they change the whole girl/girl and boy/boy relationships
that came about as a change in society because of their encounter with the "false $@#/^#" from earlier.

Eureka Seven - up to ep26

So the world building gets stronger as more information concerning the transpars, instability of earth, desperation sickness and overall society are trickling in. Feels like this could be rather well thought out actually...

I'm unfortunately still mostly interested in Renton and Eureka right now and even their craving for each other gets a bit monotone.
Then they reunite this last episode and they still can't utter a fricking "I love you" already? *smh*

The newly introduced pair Charles and Ray seem like pretty good characters. Was certainly refreshing for once seeing Renton be treated like a human being, though the events felt a bit circumstantial.

Holland and rest of crew still grind my gears a bit. I understand that Holland has his reasons for being the asshole he is but at this point it's just so darn one-note and his inaptitude to be nice for a change has also become one of the major aspects to drive the plot forward, instead of doing so more naturally. It's a bit like watching drama etc. occur mostly because of stupid, needless misunderstandings. He also doesn't feel like a good crew leader...like at all.

Overall though, I'm much more invested in the show by now and I'm looking forward the second half. Animation quality is pretty great btw. and there's a lack of crappy CGI models or other noticeable flaws.

I remember when I watched episode 26, and I was told that it was supposed to be the really high point of the show. When I saw it for the first time, I was actually underwhelmed. I mean, I thought it was a really good episode, but I didn't know why this particular one was hyped up so much.

Then Jarmel posted this. Seriously, you should give it a read.

When I saw his points there, I began to understand. There were just so many little details in that episode that really made that episode shine for me once I took another look at it.

Seriously, as annoying as the kids were I was seriously impressed at how they didn't just remain as annoying little buggers the whole way through. I mean yeah, they still acted like annoying little buggers most of the time, but at least they were more than that!

Man oh man Eureka Seven was such a great show.

that came about as a change in society because of their encounter with the "false $@#/^#" from earlier.

I don't know why you think their encounter with the false minoshiro caused that. Because
it didn't, and same sex relationships at their age is commonplace in their society.

I remember when I watched episode 26, and I was told that it was supposed to be the really high point of the show. When I saw it for the first time, I was actually underwhelmed. I mean, I thought it was a really good episode, but I didn't know why this particular one was hyped up so much.

When I saw his points there, I began to understand. There were just so many little details in that episode that really made that episode shine for me once I took another look at it.

Hmm I'll put a bookmark on it and read it once I'm done with the show.

Thoraxes

It's seeming like Pony Canyon will be handling the BD release of Sound Euphonium in the West. Personally I think that's great; I'll get to have a KyoAni show with great video quality, and probably get a soundtrack included. It'll hurt my wallet, though. Our awful Canadian dollar better recover soon. It makes getting already expensive releases much worse.

Now I just have to hope that the show itself is good.
I'm okay with them getting it. The two shows they're bringing out over here are going to have a bunch of extras/goodies with them.

I decided to bite the bullet on them, cajunator too I think, so we'll see how it is.

ibyea

Banned

This along with the next two episodes are among the strongest episodes. So freaking good.

Dennou Coil - 15

Hmm, like I guess I get that they have to address the obvious solution to finding yourself in a crazy twisted nightmarish virtual setting but I can't help but feel that the
"removing your glasses while deep inside an obsolete space causing you (at least based on the 'legend') to go into a coma" thing is a bit of a stretch.
Like it actively challenges my suspension of disbelief here because there's been like no indication up until this point that something like that is even remotely possible within the context of the world that they've setup ... unless I've missed something?

Contrivances aside I love that we seem to be getting into the meat of the tale the series wants to tell here. We'll see what direction this is heading towards ..

I think you got that a bit mixed up. The encounter with the false minoshiro did'nt trigger anything. It is just a portable library and explained to the kids how society and humanity works.

It goes something like this:
1. Due to the destructive capabilitiey of power users it is necessary for humanity to easily relieve stress. And humanity evolved in such a way that stress is relieved via sexual interaction, already amongst children even.
2. In the future homosexual relationships are seen as totally normal.
3. In order to counteract pregnancy at an early age (due to the increased sexual interaction), same-sex relationships are discouraged (or straight out forbidden I think) which results in all those homosexual relationships.

Sterok

Fate/Zero 2

I'm going to like Rider. He knows his priorities. Yup, Waver is definitely in over his head. Illya is cute. Odd way to speak to her father though. Seems like Saber and Irisviel are already close. Uryuu the naive serial killer and Caster the creepy sadist. Good pair, those two. That just leaves Lancer. Assassin sure is flexible.
And dead? Uh, I know Archer is stupidly OP, but that was still fast. Definitely interested to see what scheme Kotomine is pulling here.

I think you got that a bit mixed up. The encounter with the false minoshiro did'nt trigger anything. It is just a portable library and explained to the kids how society and humanity works.

It goes something like this:
1. Due to the destructive capabilitiey of power users it is necessary for humanity to easily relieve stress. And humanity evolved in such a way that stress is relieved via sexual interaction, already amongst children even.
2. In the future homosexual relationships are seen as totally normal.
3. In order to counteract pregnancy at an early age (due to the increased sexual interaction), same-sex relationships are discouraged (or straight out forbidden I think) which results in all those homosexual relationships.

Mmm, that wasn't quite my interpretation on the last part. Someone here had a great explanation for when Mature(?) was watching and posting impressions and their take on it was that
it was more that there was less "apprehension" among themselves when exploring same sex relationships and the shift to being in relationships with the opposite gender was just a thing that came about with being more comfortable with the notion of sexuality as a whole ... or something.

But in any case, yeah

There was nothing about their behavior with regards to
their sexuality
that was explicitly triggered by that encounter.

Mmm, that wasn't quite my interpretation on the last part. Someone here had a great explanation for when Mature(?) was watching and posting impressions and their take on it was that
it was more that there was less "apprehension" among themselves when exploring same sex relationships and the shift to being in relationships with the opposite gender was just a thing that came about with being more comfortable with the notion of sexuality as a whole ... or something.

Yeah, the last part isn't explicitly stated in the series, but I remember reading somewhere that that's how it's explained in the novels. I don't have any source on that though, so it might be wrong.

Cornbread78

But in any case, yeah

There was nothing about their behavior with regards to
their sexuality
that was explicitly triggered by that encounter.

Ok, that makes more sense, that was a huge info dump at that part, so I got a little confused, so their
relationships grow from homosexual to heterosexual as they grow towards child bearing age and mature naturally
then. I shouldn't work and try to understand read a tablet at the same time, lol.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Original Scifi - Star Driver (okay), Eureka Seven AO (bad), Captain Earth (meh), Space Dandy (pretty fun).

Original Fantasy - *crickets*

Have there been any good original fantasy anime's at all?

I miss stuff like scrapped princess.

cj_iwakura

Mononoke 10-12: Bakeneko Acts 1-3

Melancholic finale, about what I expected. Not the best arc, but it was okay. The best one really was The Sea Bishop.

You probably should have done your research.

There are 12 volumes out of the manga and the anime only covered up to the end of volume 4 with the Yukine arc before they spun off to their own stuff.

Well I screwed up on that part but the biggest thing was how they introduced some anime original, so yeah.

Articalys

Two great endings, two okay endings, and two meh endings from Winter season (and Koufuku Graffiti, which I haven't actually finished yet but I'm sure will be fine). Now I have even less motivation to actually watch anything not slice-of-life from Spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom