• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

I think as long as we maintain some degree of self-policing in here and don't have an uproar when users are banned for obvious reasons, this place will be fine. With figureGAF and footyGAF, the issue seems to be that users were flagrantly disobeying the rules and ignoring warnings from mods, and thought that they should be immune to bannings for things that anybody else would get banned for.

As for content control, banning certain shows from being discussed here might not be a bad idea.

The invisible werewolf doing her thing

Huh interesting then. I was surprised they skipped over that chapter since they seem to be adapting the more action packed ones instead of the slice of life ones.

Here's the upcoming episode list so far.

Episode 7 : E-den of Master Fighters
>Staff (Episode director / Storyboard / Animation director)
>Satou Ikurou / Yoshikazu Miyao & Matsumoto Rie / Mizuhata Kenji
Episode 8 : Z’s Longest Day (Part 1)
>Fujimoto Jiro / Tamura Kotaro & Matsumoto Rie / Horikawa Koichi
Episode 9 : Z’s Longest Day (Part 2)
>Masashi Abe / Fukuda Michio & Matsumoto Rie / Hasegawa Hitomi & Satou Chiharu
Episode 10 : Run! Lunch!! Run!!! / to the end.
>Satou Ikurou / Tomohiko Ito & Matsumoto Rie / Tomioka Ryuji

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, her title is Invisible werewolf (lol)

I think you mean Shawty.

It wouldn't surprise me if they go back to earlier chapters, but there's a great deal of material for them to adapt. There's 10 volumes of manga that's out right now and they shown that they aren't necessarily adapting it one to one.

One drawback of Kekkai is that it's been a bit lopsided with how much attention it gives to its supporting cast, so it's impossible to predict the likelihood of a specific character getting a dedicated episode. Next week's episode is another Klaus episode, which is a slightly confusing decision for a 12-episode series as we already had Prosfair and that episode was already arguably a mostly redundant character piece given what the series already leads the viewer to infer about Klaus.

Does Chain really deserve an episode? Not really, but given that the series is structured in such a way that it continues to freely meander between "plot" episodes and "character focus" episodes, there are several colorful supporting characters that could make use of one as opposed to Klaus getting two in the space of five episodes.

I think as long as we maintain some degree of self-policing in here and don't have an uproar when users are banned for obvious reasons, this place will be fine. With figureGAF and footyGAF, the issue seems to be that users were flagrantly disobeying the rules and ignoring warnings from mods, and thought that they should be immune to bannings for things that anybody else would get banned for.

As for content control, banning certain shows from being discussed here might not be a bad idea.

Banning shows is a slippery slope to me. We can self moderate fine, I think. Just don't post some screencaps you probably shouldn't of TLR Darkness and Prison School.

Jarmel

Banned
One drawback of Kekkai is that it's been a bit lopsided with how much attention it gives to its supporting cast, so it's impossible to predict the likelihood of a specific character getting a dedicated episode. Next week's episode is another Klaus episode, which is a slightly confusing decision for a 12-episode series as we already had Prosfair and that episode was already arguably a mostly redundant character piece given what the series already leads the viewer to infer about Klaus.

Does Chain really deserve an episode? Not really, but given that the series is structured in such a way that it continues to freely meander between "plot" episodes and "character focus" episodes, there are several colorful supporting characters that could make use of one as opposed to Klaus getting two in the space of five episodes.

The show is probably going to sell really well. For a second cour they could easily go back and cover material they skipped over. There's enough material for a 2nd and possibly 3rd season and the way it's structured, being episodic, there's nothing inherently preventing them from covering what they want.

Now should they be covering the side characters more prominently? Yes, but I think they've done a decent enough job so far. Also next episode is sorta about
Zapp too

madp

The Light of El Cantare
The show is probably going to sell really well. For a second cour they could easily go back and cover material they skipped over. There's enough material for a 2nd and possibly 3rd season and the way it's structured, being episodic, there's nothing inherently preventing them from covering what they want.

Now should they be covering the side characters more prominently? Yes, but I think they've done a decent enough job so far. Also next episode is sorta about
Zapp too

This is why I'm not that concerned; Rie's going to be riding a wave of fujobux into total blank check creative freedom probably. A hypothetical S2 might be able to be even more tangential since it's a known marketable quantity.

I think you mean Shawty.

Well it seems Zapp will get some screentime in the upcoming episodes with Abe Sapien as well, but yeah other characters do deserve some screentime as well which is why I hope a second season happens. So they could adapt other chapters they skipped that gave the supporting characters screentime.

The good thing is the manga seems to be getting a boost and the BD preorders are doing amazingly well for a series like this. So it has a good chance for a second season.

Crocodile

While I understand the business side of it (less risk), I will say its kind of annoying that a 1 cour model is becoming increasingly the norm and then we have to wait to see if sales or what not are good to know if we'll get more or not. Gone are the days of like 50 episode original animes or 2 cours being the standard for adaptions.

Jarmel

Banned
While I understand the business side of it (less risk), I will say its kind of annoying that a 1 cour model is becoming increasingly the norm and then we have to wait to see if sales or what not are good to know if we'll get more or not. Gone are the days of like 50 episode original animes or 2 cours being the standard for adaptions.

50 episode original anime are dead and buried.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Only making this comparison because of the mangaka, but just imagine if Trigun ended with Monev the Gale and then didn't sell enough to adapt the Gung Ho Guns stuff. lol

Jarmel

Banned
God bless the soul of the BONES English translator:
0c6.png

MdTT0Cwl.jpg

v7MVFQ2.jpg

Blood Black Boys Blocks 6

Hope we see more of burger alien.

Also had no idea White is an anime original character. That's kind of disappointing. There's actually a cute relationship there.

Reknoc

Wow, really? I've always thought Macross Zero was the weakest part of the franchise other than Macross II (which doesn't exist).

I mean, it has its problems like the environmental CG being really bad, and being a little preachy, but it also had stuff like Fokker and Ryuzaburo Otomo and at the end there's a bipedal robot that launches a nuke from the ship. The series is basically ended by a Metal Gear.

Really I just loved the use of the VFs and other technology. Limited use of Batteroid and Gerwalk made them seem a little more like weapons rather than just mechs designed to be easily marketable toys.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I mean, it has its problems like the environmental CG being really bad, and being a little preachy, but it also had stuff like Fokker and Ryuzaburo Otomo and at the end there's a bipedal robot that launches a nuke from the ship. The series is basically ended by a Metal Gear.

Really I just loved the use of the VFs and other technology. Limited use of Batteroid and Gerwalk made them seem a little more like weapons rather than just mechs designed to be easily marketable toys.

I always thought that, Kawamori being Kawamori aside, people just found the Birdman mythos unnecessary.

Link Man

Banned
Kanon 2

I've heard of heavy sleepers, but this is ridiculous!

First day of school, and it looks like Yuichi's already got himself in a jam.

Well, I'm glad Nayuki wasn't carrying an umbrella.

ibjhSNWYfatB0c.gif

First there was uguu, now there's auuu. Yippee.

Agh damnit. Gonna sleep on this, have the whole day off tomorrow... It's going down. Got my shield all polished and ready to roll.
I am so not ready.

I am so excited for you. :D

Kanon 2

ibjhSNWYfatB0c.gif

Yuichi, just like Tomoya, is a really great prankster. It's always fun to see him mess with her.

Reknoc

I always thought that, Kawamori being Kawamori aside, people just found the Birdman mythos unnecessary.

Yea I can see that. The Wikipedia entry mentions it as a sort of safeguard to make sure humans don't become as uppity as the Zentradi, I dunno where that comes from though as the show never mentions that, but I really like that idea.

Symphogear 07

Ugh. Fuck Hibiki's stupid ass friend getting all upset she hid the fact she is a magical robot girl fighting evil noise creatures. Had enough of that shit watching Valvrave, tempted to drop this right now. This shit is never done well. I'm always surprised how easily broken these apparently incredibly strong childhood friend bonds are over the most petty shit.

Clov

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this already, but despite being streamed by Funimation, Cute Earth High Defense Club Love (that magical boy anime) is being released on BD here by Pony Canyon. Looks like they're releasing it in sub-only limited edition singles. The first volume has 4 episodes, some sort of CD, some sort of booklet, and PonyCan's signature oddly large case. It has something that it calls "short animation 1-6" as an on-disc extra too.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 104:

Ah well, it was nice while it lasted but the small pink nightmare has returned and she has been given a gimmick makeover as the allegedly hilariously inept sailor guardian from the future who has been sent back to the past to seek out new friends and get some desperately needed training. I will admit while I do like the direction they went, making Mini Moon here a dire rookie who needs to earn some combat training, I think they went too far in that direction and now she is a literal joke character at the moment. A more deserving station to be sure, but much like her interactions with Usagi, the joke goes from funny to overbearingly annoying more then it should. Still, it is a sign of a top notch production that I can actual be amused by Chibi-Usa instead of wishing for the sweet release of death, so kudos there. Really, that is pretty much all there is to her focus episode aside from crushing not only on the victim of the week but also our favorite lesbian power couple. There are many a harem protagonist that wish they had as much game as these two do without even really trying. Anyway, this episode comes very mildly recommended as it is tolerable but this is pretty much a gag episode that is lacking much in the way of relevance.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon S: Episode 105:

Ah yes, this is the kind of episode that has been needed for a bit of time now. Indeed, one of the true advantages the 1990s anime series had over its other incarnations is the sheer size of any given season means that the core cast will get face time no matter how out of focus they get at other points in the season. Case in point, this was a very solid focus episode on the inner team that we haven't seen in awhile. Granted the focal point is Mako and hero issues with inaquacy following her defeat and the hands of some monster of the week that I sort of remember and her sudden desire to train and get stronger become a lone wolf and such. While she is the star of this particular show we get a lot of interplay with the inners that used to dominate past season but have been since reduced in scale ever since the spore and The Most Interesting Couple In The World showed up onto the scene. While yes all of those players do show up for bit parts this was more Mako doing the admittedly cliched resolution of overcoming her individual weakness through the power of teamwork. Got to admit that seems to be a lesson she should already know but whatever this was just a good and soild episode, recommended to watch.

NeonZ

50 episode original anime are dead and buried.

Those still happen, but mostly with kid shows, like card game anime, so people here don't pay much attention.

There are also a few recent Jump series that seem to have continuous runs from the start - see World Trigger, which has just hit episode 29.

Mendrox

Those still happen, but mostly with kid shows, like card game anime, so people here don't pay much attention.

There are also a few recent Jump series that seem to have continuous runs from the start - see World Trigger, which has just hit episode 29.

I thought World Trigger sucks D: couldn't even complete episode 1... those designs. :(

There are a lot of adaptations (JoJo Stardust Crusaders, World Trigger) and long running series like PreCure that hit 4 cours worth of episodes, but pretty much only kids shows like Tribe Cool Crew (I think) and Card Battoru show #45842 get that many on an original IP

I thought World Trigger sucks D: couldn't even complete episode 1... those designs. :(

Well, it does.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Some touhou remixes are the thing of beauty , i can't even see the link between the original music sometimes and they are so good ( listening to them while i drive to work ) . The japan doujin remix scene is quite healthy. I have no regrets spending money every comiket ( thanks to a friend i can get my own copy , YEAH ! ).

Most of the time. But Is not rare that they "Remix" it so much that it become original song by itself lol.

Sample from the given album btw
Not sure what I was expecting, but that wasn't it. lol

Quasar

There are a lot of adaptations (JoJo Stardust Crusaders, World Trigger) and long running series like PreCure that hit 4 cours worth of episodes, but pretty much only kids shows like Tribe Cool Crew (I think) and Card Battoru show #45842 get that many on an original IP

Yeah. In these days of 13 episode shows its pretty rare for a original thing to strike such a cord that it gets 4 cours worth.

All the recent shows with that kind of length I can think of (like log horizon) are all based on popular existing material.

Theonik

Saving the old era 'long anime' 50 episode shows have always served one purpose and one purpose alone:
To sell toys.
The length is almost exclusively targeted to kids and for good reason. The intent of running for what is a full year is to keep relevant toy ads up for kids to buy the toys. See older mecha, PreCure, etc etc.
Now there are notable exceptions like say the new JoJo but I'd argue that's 2 2ish episode shows.

Quasar

Fruit of Grisaia 4 - And the sad tale of Yuuji's childhood comes to its expected conclusion. Now that everyone knows his sad backstory, its going to get a little awkward. Liked this much more than the prior material.

Saving the old era 'long anime' 50 episode shows have always served one purpose and one purpose alone:
To sell toys.
The length is almost exclusively targeted to kids and for good reason. The intent of running for what is a full year is to keep relevant toy ads up for kids to buy the toys. See older mecha, PreCure, etc etc.
Now there are notable exceptions like say the new JoJo but I'd argue that's 2 2ish episode shows.

You're generalizing a bit too strongly here. There are plenty of long running shows both old and new that don't really fall into that particular toy demographic. Unless things like Ace of Diamond, Yowapeda, Baby Steps, and Space Bros are selling a lot more toys than I'm aware of.

You're generalizing a bit too strongly here. There are plenty of long running shows both old and new that don't really fall into that particular toy demographic. Unless things like Ace of Diamond, Yowapeda, Baby Steps, and Space Bros are selling a lot more toys than I'm aware of.

Well, conversation was originally talking about original shows and not adaptations since those do commonly run a high episode count.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this already, but despite being streamed by Funimation, Cute Earth High Defense Club Love (that magical boy anime) is being released on BD here by Pony Canyon. Looks like they're releasing it in sub-only limited edition singles. The first volume has 4 episodes, some sort of CD, some sort of booklet, and PonyCan's signature oddly large case. It has something that it calls "short animation 1-6" as an on-disc extra too.

Glad were getting the chara song cds. Two sub only animry for me this summer, this and mahouka koukou.

phaze

Shigurui 1-6 Rewatch

I had my doubts after being disappointed on my return to AoT but this is, fortunately, even better than I remember it being. I think I recall the first three-four episodes draggin a bit before getting hooked but this time, being already accustomed to the style and pacing of the show, I ate it up with no problems. Shigurui just oozes creepy, unsettling atmosphere from its every frame and though it doesn't have any super animated fights with elaborate choreography, it is still a sight to behold. Texhnolyze is the obvious comparison in terms of style but this time, I couldn't help but find it a bit similar to the Aku no Hana, especially in its use of music or the lack of it.

It's fun to the seeds planted for some future developments; Mie's disdain for puppets, Irako throwing up after the duel or Fujiki's non wavering devotion to the Kogan household. It's just a shame that the anime doesn't last long enough to see some of those seeds grow. The gore is still here and it's still as glorious as ever but I think my brain blocked out a few scenes of more sexual nature for my own sanity's sake. I didn't have any recollection of them being that fucked up.

In summary - glorious gore fest. AOTF

Cornbread78

Kanon 2
ibjhSNWYfatB0c.gif

Welcome to the fun. I just got to ep.15 and this show is crazy stuff and Ayu Ayu is still pretty cute and immature and still a mystery, lol.

Oh, there is also a toothbrush scene in this show, it's not like it sounds at all, but I burst out laughing when he offered to do it, lol.

I am so excited for you. :D

Let's hope he's ready for the final leg of this one. Maybe we'll get a post after ep.16. Capturing your thoughts at that moment is pretty tough. Yup, you're right, watching others go through the experience is fun too.

Theonik

Those fall on a separate category and often are exceptions running in odd seasons. Things that run in 50 episode tend to have a specific function which is to run for a year all year round.
These shows are mostly targeted to children. A lot of them are original, long adaptations are a different kettle of fish.

javac

It's pretty funny because I was thinking about how you don't see long shows as much as you used to just this moment only to see you all talking about the same topic, am I wrong in my rationalization that they try to adhere to season much more these days, and tend to look into sequels when the demand is high? Spooky coincidence in any case.

Theonik

It's pretty funny because I was thinking about how you don't see long shows as much as you used to just this moment only to see you all talking about the same topic, am I wrong in my rationalization that they try to adhere to season much more these days, and tend to look into sequels when the demand is high? Spooky coincidence in any case.
It's not really the case when you put the numbers down. There is exponentially more anime these days. I want to say the average anime is of lesser length but I think the amount of 50 episode merch shows is about the same now but their target changed. You had hundreds of 50 episode mecha anime in the 80s for instance I think.

cajunator

Banned
It's when a character does something opposite of their normal personality that usually makes your heart go doki doki.

Like when a tsuntusn character goes full dere for the first time.

Ahh I see

=( Sorry to upset you and MikeHattsu, I've been watching Fushigiboshi no Futagohime ..... It's a favorite of a special member, so I wanted to watch it...

I'll watch Clannad after this... =)

This is legit one of the cutest shows ever and I totally squeed like a motherfucker when I found out HolyBaikal was a fan of it too.

Figure-Gaf got shut down. I wonder what happened.

It was inevitable unfortunately.

New Papi (Warning: Papibutt incoming) image for Monster Musume.

Same deal with the previous Miia picture.

So we can expect one for Cerea as well.

WHat a cutie. I love the artwork of this.

64a.gif

Shirobako 10

This sound dude, lmao

gao~~~~~ GAOOOOOO

DIRECTOR IN HIS FINAL FORM

Erbody jumping ship

Dang the feels

Parasyte 10

OH SHITTTTTTT

Shit's really hitting the fan now.

Ping Pong 10

That was beautiful ;_;

Mushi-shi Zoku Shou 10 END

What a great, poetic conclusion. Arjuna, this is how you do a pro-nature show without being heavy handed.

Not much to say about this season other than it was a pitch perfect sister to the first season, which was already this slow, gorgeous, poetic work of art. And this fits that bill flawlessly.

Gotta watch the special next.

Sex and Violence, with Machinespeed

WHAT

THE

FUCK

TRIGGER

Blood-C 10

MAI WAIFU IS AN ELDERBAND dat vertebrae

loverboy
got BTFO lolololololololololol

what the fuck is going on

GUIMAUVE IS
MADE OUT OF PEOPLE?

just gonna walk right by the spot where your
crush
got
crushed
?

NOT THE SINGING FUCK

Wow we're back to the light hearted shit?

nvm, that's a pretty by the book twist.

The
twins
have some serious derp face going on

Arjuna 10

SINGING NOOOO at least it's not Blood-C teir.

Tokio's such a scrub at light gun games, lol

naw, fuck you Chris.

Anti-GMO shit, get 'em scientist man

WORD MAGIC

This is like the opposite of a secured facility what the fuck

JUNA IS A HUMAN SIZED MOOD RING

that's some crazy ass slime, you got there. WHO YOU GONNA CALL?!

He's got two pipes on his dome, juna, you can do it too, y'know.

Is this a cry for help? I think it is guys.

With FigureGAF getting the axe, I'm actually kinda concerned about Anime-GAF getting closed as well. Should we put some rules in place to prevent what happened in FigureGAF to occur here? Or am I just being paranoid?

Oh we are basically on borrowed time but hopefully this community can last a while longer.

Found it. Sorry to disappoint, but no sausages here (until the doujins, at least.)

Hnnnnnng. I look forward to whatever the hell this is.

Cross Ange 1-6

At first this felt like Cinemax/Skinamax anime edition with the tons and tons of softcore porn. Now I just dislike Ange to the point that I feel like dropping this shit like its hot.

Does our main heroine become less insufferable at any point in the next couple of episodes?

Well Vivian and Momoka are in it so it has redeeming qualities.
But yes, Ange is a terrible cunt.

Show by Rock!! 5-6

EWTbFyK.png

You know, this show is actually pretty entertaining beyond cute girls doing cute things. Shingancrimsonz dudes are hilarious and I'd like to see more of them.

Glad the girls sorted things out and now they can focus on making music together.

Cyan also looks much better without the curls in her hair.

NO
but she is still a cutie.

Better quality image for Himouto! Umaru-chan

VA cast

Umaru Doma - Aimi Tanaka
Sylphynford Tachibana - Yurina Furukawa
Kirie Motoba - Haruka Shiraishi
Nana Ebina - Akari Kageyama

So this is what 8 X 11 Printer paper is.

javac

It's not really the case when you put the numbers down. There is exponentially more anime these days. I want to say the average anime is of lesser length but I think the amount of 50 episode merch shows is about the same now but their target changed. You had hundreds of 50 episode mecha anime in the 80s for instance I think.

Yeah I hardly keep up with stuff these days so it's all anecdotal really, I just look at lot of the more popular shows that people watch and they seem to cap off at the 24 mark with the more popular stuff like Psycho-Pass, Steins;Gate, KLK and AoT etc with a lot of them being 11 to 12 like Aku no Hanna, Tatami and what have you. I guess when you look around, there's still a lot of long running shows no doubt. Like I said, I don't keep up and just see whats regurgitated the most, so there's lots of stuff I haven't even heard of that are of a longer nature. I guess in the end when you look at it, your Ippo's and LotGH shows were never really a dime a dozen.

It's also a bit funny because I remember an argument recently in this very thread stating the opposite, that you don't see many short OVA's these days, so I guess in the end we'll never find the right balance.

A lot of it has to do with how people actually keep up with current shows every season thesedays, whereas a lot of the older shows were picked up years later with most of the crap weeded out, so you see a lot of everything really from short OVA's like Giant Robo and Gunbuster to long ass shows like Urusei Yatsura.

One would assume that shonens were massive in the west back then with Toonami and co so we used to get a load of shows like DBZ and Yu-Gi-Oh and even things like Shaman King and Medabots. With a lack of huge TV presence in the west, you see less of these shows in the limelight with merchandise and such, whereas in Japan you'll see Yokai Watch everywhere.

In any case, nothing will top Sazae-san :p

Arcadius

Banned
This is legit one of the cutest shows ever and I totally squeed like a motherfucker when I found out HolyBaikal was a fan of it too.

Ahahaha, it's already a favorite. It's the best and not just cute, so much more. Magical Girl shows are something I'm going to love and I already feel like this is my favorite, 4 more episodes.

Kanon 2

I love the "Uguu~" and "Auu~", absolutely adore it.

Baalzebup

Cross Ange 1-6

At first this felt like Cinemax/Skinamax anime edition with the tons and tons of softcore porn. Now I just dislike Ange to the point that I feel like dropping this shit like its hot.

Does our main heroine become less insufferable at any point in the next couple of episodes?

Well Vivian and Momoka are in it so it has redeeming qualities. But yes, Ange is a terrible cunt.

Don't worry, Ange will evolve into a terribly entertaining cunt. She is a bitch to the end, but the bitchiness is interlaced with being awesome at times and dropping some righteous burns at other times.

In a way, that show is a epitome of something that can be really bad and really good at the same time, but for different reasons, instead of the more usual "so bad that it's good."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom