• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phase 1

• High School DxD BorN (Saturdays at 1:00 pm ET, beginning May 2)
  • Assassination Classroom (Wednesdays at 8:00 pm ET, beginning May 13)
  • Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign (Wednesdays at 8:30 pm ET, beginning May 13)
  • Blood Blockade Battlefront (Wednesdays at 9:00 pm ET, beginning May 13)
  • Ninja Slayer (Thursdays at 10:00 am ET, beginning May 21)

Phase 2

• The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (Fridays at 2:10 pm ET, date TBA)
  • Ultimate Otaku Teacher (Saturdays at 7:00 am ET, date TBA)
  • The Heroic Legend of Arslan (Sundays at 5:00 am ET, date TBA)
  • Show by Rock!! (Sundays at 9:00 am ET, date TBA)
  • Mikagura School Suite (Tuesdays at 4:35 pm ET, date TBA)

I just can't follow the Marvel Cinematic Universe anymore

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Sabagebu! was great fun. It's on Crunchyroll too!

ipZlNxLZYZ4N.gif

get rekt lol, new show to watch

cj_iwakura

Does f/sn REALLY look that good? The fights look good (from what I watched and some webm) but everything else is kinda shoddy tbh from how hard people fellate ufotable

And really no amount of time, budget, talent etc can fix bad source material.

The backgrounds are gorgeous, so there's that.

jHwvN4t.jpg

Jex

I mean, compared to what? Pretty much every anime has a shitload of off-model moments, in my experience.

Yes, that's certainly true, but that's not really the comparison here. The comparison is to other flagship, extremely popular and extremely well produced TV anime.

So, if you compare Fate/Stay Night to anime TV shows in general then, yes, it's clearly on the higher end in terms of production quality.

If, however, you compare Fate/Stay Night to the very best TV anime then it falls noticeably short.
How much of that is animation and how much of that is source material though? F/SN is a an awful lot of of "tell, don't show" since it tries to world-build by having Rin sit in Shiro's kitchen and talk about shit that happened in the past.
That's certainly an important factor to consider.

Source material clearly plays a key role, because it would dictate the energy level of any given conversation but that's just a starting point for a director. They're free to create any visual scenario they chose based on the source material they are working from. It all depends upon the vision of the creator.

So, they can chose to adapt a boring conversation of two people in a kitchen using shot-reverse-shot medium close ups for five minutes. If that's what they want. Or they can d
use cinematic techniques to create a more impactful scene by using say: bird-eye views, extreme close ups, unusual low angels, reverse/fast forward, elliptical editing, fish eye lenses, depth of field, pans, screen distortions, black&white, dolly shots etc. On the visual level they could embrace the realism of the setting or engage in abstraction allowing for a more appealing discussion and greater audience engagement. A fairly typical user (abuser?) of such cinematic techniques would be the -monogatari series, a series which is solely about characters talking to each other.

However, character animation can be good or bad irrespective of the source material or direction. In general, you don't see very high quality character animation for people talking to each other because it's seen as unnecessary, however plenty of shows (Hyouka, Tatami Galaxy, Birdy) have also invested in serious character animation for non-action sequences.

phaze

[@Rancor
Relagated to cell now, will answer tomorrow but you're kinda breaking my fundamental beliefs on the mechanics of capitalism right now. :p
Added Love Live and Sabagebu, already have Nozaki-Kun there on ep.4, just been side tracked from it.

Thanks for all the recs guys

Love lab not Love Live! I'm not that big of a sadist .

Is there a grounded detective noir anime? I mean outside of Hyouka :p
Mononoke.

It's grounded in fantasy. :p Really great show.

Jex

Ojamajo Doremi 5:

This show remains very charming all the way through. The first half of the episode, focused around the store, was pretty fun to watch, especially seeing how much they struggled at first without anyone coming into the store. It was all carried by the character interactions, but it was quite good, and it was nice when they turned things around a little bit. Majo Rika gets so petty when things aren't going her way (which seems to be most of the time).

The second half focused around Kotake's story was pretty good. Doremi and Kotake's interactions are highly amusing, and it was fun to see her trying to save the day from the background, and with almost everything she was doing not going quite as planned. Maybe Doremi should try being more precise with her wording when she uses magic. Despite progressing through things quite clumsily, things worked out for everyone in the end. Kotake's problem might have been something minor, but it absolutely feels like a genuine issue that a kid would face, so I appreciate that. The scenes at the start of the episode with Doremi's family were also pretty good. I really enjoy the little arguments between Doremi's parents, who feel very genuine to me.
In a roundabout manner, it feels like what you’re really appreciating about the series is the quality of the writing. While the art of Doremi is clearly the show’s most obvious selling point, the series wouldn’t have received the level of praise that it’s earned if it was simply a good looking show. This is obvious in retrospect but it’s not something that I necessarily understood or even appreciate when I started to watch the series.

When talking about magical girls shows, or kids shows (often, but not always, one and the same) you generally expect to be praising the direction, art, or animation. When you think back on Sailor Moon you aren’t contemplating the script so much as recalling the radical and theatrical Ikuhara direction. The cast of Sailor Moon are exaggerated and fantastical stereotypes. Doremi, on the other hand, while appearing to be nothing more than a fairly simplistic kids cartoon, is actually rooted in extremely well drawn and believable characters. While the characters in Doremi are equally rooted in archytype, they’re far more fleshed out and developed than any of their magical girl brethren. Remarkably, the same holds true for the entire cast of characters. As a result of this high quality writing the series avoids formulaic repetition that you might expect from the genre as there is both the prospect and realisation of genuine character growth even inside what appears to be a wholly episodic formula.

Truly, a masterful series.

In a roundabout manner, it feels like what you’re really appreciating about the series is the quality of the writing. While the art of Doremi is clearly the show’s most obvious selling point, the series wouldn’t have received the level of praise that it’s earned if it was simply a good looking show. This is obvious in retrospect but it’s not something that I necessarily understood or even appreciate when I started to watch the series.

When talking about magical girls shows, or kids shows (often, but not always, one and the same) you generally expect to be praising the direction, art, or animation. When you think back on Sailor Moon you aren’t contemplating the script so much as recalling the radical and theatrical Ikuhara direction. The cast of Sailor Moon are exaggerated and fantastical stereotypes. Doremi, on the other hand, while appearing to be nothing more than a fairly simplistic kids cartoon, is actually rooted in extremely well drawn and believable characters. While the characters in Doremi are equally rooted in archytype, they’re far more fleshed out and developed than any of their magical girl brethren. Remarkably, the same holds true for the entire cast of characters. As a result of this high quality writing the series avoids formulaic repetition that you might expect from the genre as there is both the prospect and realisation of genuine character growth even inside what appears to be a wholly episodic formula.

Truly, a masterful series.

Yes, this has definitely been something which has impressed me so far. The writing has been a real highlight of the show, and I truly appreciate how the show has fleshed out its main characters, as well as many of the supporting characters. One thing that I like is that the characters keep managing to surprise me, rather than simply feeling like they're hitting the same notes. Even in just five episodes, I fee like I've seen each of the main characters show me several different facets of their personalities, and I've also seen some nice stuff from supporting characters as well.

I think it's this, combined with the excellent visual quality of the series, that has really helped it stand out for me so far. The visuals help to enhance each scene, but they're also working in concert with the writing for each of the characters. One thing that impresses me about the writing is the way in which very small scenes can still tell you a lot about the characters. For example (something I mentioned in my write up of the previous episode, but I've thought about it a little more since then, too), Aiko is portrayed as the brasher and more carefree character, while Hadzuki is shown as the more thoughtful and reserved one, yet when they get the option for magic put before them, Hadzuki is thinking about how she could get anything she wanted, while Aiko thinks about how she could make life for her father easier. I noted at the time how this was an effective way of fleshing the characters out more and playing against viewer expectations, because they're showing different facets of their characters. But more than that, it also is a way where the show takes the implicit backgrounds of the characters and tries to build a logic human being from their social and familial situation. Aiko comes from a working class family that doesn't necessarily have a lot of options at their disposal, so for her getting the ability to use magic represents a way where she could really improve things and make her father's life easier. On the other hand, Hadzuki comes from a fairly well off family, so she doesn't have that same background, and her first thought is about how she could get something that she wanted. This is a logical way of using the full stories of the characters in order to make them feel real, whereas many shows can get trapped into "the nice one", "the loud one", etc.

And combined with this, the show's writing has a strong idea of what really matters to kids. I think one of the cornerstones of truly great children's entertainment is the ability to take issues that matter to the audience and frame them in a way that treats them seriously. This is something that Doremi is doing really well from what I've seen so far. It's taking concerns that its audience will have, or will speak to them, and it's treating them as seriously as it would anything else, even if they're things that might seem trivial to many adults. The biggest pitfalls that bad kids shows can fall into are either to trivialize everything and not treat anything seriously, or to try and avoid anything that could be upsetting to anyone. That's something that this show has completely avoided so far. It's doing a wonderful job of writing quality kids stories (which also happen to be quality stories in general, something many poor writers of kids television completely miss out on).

So, onto a different list now GAF, what are some good, funny series out there? I'm completely fine with crude, sophomoric or childish humor. Saekano and Golden Boy were both funny shows to me Tsuritama wasn't that funny.

Crunchyroll preferred, but Hulu and Funimation work too.

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu like others have said. It's on Funimation's website and (maybe) Hulu. Make sure you watch the dub, it's hysterical.

Yes, that's certainly true, but that's not really the comparison here. The comparison is to other flagship, extremely popular and extremely well produced TV anime.

So, if you compare Fate/Stay Night to anime TV shows in general then, yes, it's clearly on the higher end in terms of production quality.

If, however, you compare Fate/Stay Night to the very best TV anime then it falls noticeably short.

That's certainly an important factor to consider.

Source material clearly plays a key role, because it would dictate the energy level of any given conversation but that's just a starting point for a director. They're free to create any visual scenario they chose based on the source material they are working from. It all depends upon the vision of the creator.

So, they can chose to adapt a boring conversation of two people in a kitchen using shot-reverse-shot medium close ups for five minutes. If that's what they want. Or they can d
use cinematic techniques to create a more impactful scene by using say: bird-eye views, extreme close ups, unusual low angels, reverse/fast forward, elliptical editing, fish eye lenses, depth of field, pans, screen distortions, black&white, dolly shots etc. On the visual level they could embrace the realism of the setting or engage in abstraction allowing for a more appealing discussion and greater audience engagement. A fairly typical user (abuser?) of such cinematic techniques would be the -monogatari series, a series which is solely about characters talking to each other.

However, character animation can be good or bad irrespective of the source material or direction. In general, you don't see very high quality character animation for people talking to each other because it's seen as unnecessary, however plenty of shows (Hyouka, Tatami Galaxy, Birdy) have also invested in serious character animation for non-action sequences.

I'm interested in seeing what Ufotable does with God Eater, not just as a fan of the series, but also due to the nature of the original content. The game had a story, but there are a few factors that will in my opinion give more liberty to them to build and create than with Fate. Fate is a VN, which means it already has an established script for them to use, since a VN is after all a novel. Ufotable simply grabs the source material and adapts it to anime form. Most of the complaints I see here are about the plot (some about design but that is a bit more subjective). With God Eater, the game's story is told through shortish cutscenes in which your voiceless character is just a spectator to some events before or after you go monster hunting, gameplay is king. Ufotable will to make the show entertaining, so I'm sure they will be taking a lot of liberties with the story. Heck, the fact that we are getting a brand new character that is voiced and has a personality as the MC shows just that. I'm excited and optimistic.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm interested in seeing what Ufotable does with God Eater, not just as a fan of the series, but also due to the nature of the original content. The game had a story, but there are a few factors that will in my opinion give more liberty to them to build and create than with Fate. Fate is a VN, which means it already has an established script for them to use, since a VN is after all a novel. Ufotable simply grabs the source material and adapts it to anime form. Most of the complaints I see here are about the plot (some about design but that is a bit more subjective). With God Eater, the game's story is told through shortish cutscenes in which your voiceless character is just a spectator to some events before or after you go monster hunting, gameplay is king. Ufotable will to make the show entertaining, so I'm sure they will be taking a lot of liberties with the story. Heck, the fact that we are getting a brand new character that is voiced and has a personality as the MC shows just that. I'm excited and optimistic.

Oh, are they finally doing some non-TM content? Good, I was getting concerned they'd follow up UBW with freakin' Tsukihime.

You were right, it's on Hulu.

Corn you should seriously watch Barakamon. It was in the top 10 of Gafs AOTY. It's all kinds of good and will definitely make you feel good, plus it has great comedy as well. I mean considering you've been watching shows filled with massive drama, Barakamon would be a good anime to heal you.

Barakamon's on Funimation and Hulu.

So good.

Cornbread78

Corn you should seriously watch Barakamon. It was in the top 10 of Gafs AOTY. It's all kinds of good and will definitely make you feel good, plus it has great comedy as well. I mean considering you've been watching shows filled with massive drama, Barakamon would be a good anime to heal you.

So good.

I'll check it out on Hulu, Funimation only let's you watch ep. 1-2..

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

This anime actually has facial expressions, time to watch.

So good.

Barakamon was a good anime. I thoroughly enjoyed every episode, also it was funny as hell.

Fate/Stay Night obviously has a high budget and while that doesn't automatically translate into good animation it certainly helps. After all you not only have to contract a sufficient amount of capable animators, you also need to give them enough time to create their cuts. That is why UBW has so many impressive action scenes.
Ufotable is also a studio with a very capable digital department. Aside from the occasional wonky CG truck their digital work meshes really well with the traditional animation, something that is not seen too often.
Another thing that helps is the art and character design in Fate. While the noses are unfortunately missing, characters are drawn with very fine lines which gives the impression of high quality art. Even still shots tend to look very pretty.
Unfortunately all the money in the world doesn't help when you have a mediocre director. Miura just doesn't seem up to the task. Especially the quieter moments are often very pedestrian as Jexhius has already noted. The integration of the music also leaves a lot to be desired and the timing of comedic scenes is mostly bad. Overall Miura's direction lacks energy and is too slow. This makes some of the stilted dialogues seem even more boring.

With a more capable director and a willingness to rewrite the dialogues and some story elements I think UBW could have turned out surprisingly great. But alas it feels like a lot of money and animation talent was mostly wasted.

Death Parade 11-12 Dub

While I had complained about the meta narrative, it did at least stick the landing when it came to the relationship between Chiyuki and Decim. I feel the ending with Ginti and the pop start fan girl wasn't as well done simply due to the characters vanishing from the series until the finale where their ending was rushed. Overall I really liked the series and the dub was fantastic, even if parts of this series were weak and poorly explained it hit all the right emotional points in its finale to warrant people seeing it

Andrew J.

So, onto a different list now GAF, what are some good, funny series out there? I'm completely fine with crude, sophomoric or childish humor. Saekano and Golden Boy were both funny shows to me Tsuritama wasn't that funny.

Excel Saga
Binbougami-ga!
Sabagebu
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Tuck

Death Parade 11-12 Dub

While I had complained about the meta narrative, it did at least stick the landing when it came to the relationship between Chiyuki and Decim. I feel the ending with Ginti and the pop start fan girl wasn't as well done simply due to the characters vanishing from the series until the finale where their ending was rushed. Overall I really liked the series and the dub was fantastic, even if parts of this series were weak and poorly explained it hit all the right emotional points in its finale to warrant people seeing it

Death Parade had some flaws (The pop-star girl pollen felt like there were several scenes missing, and the outcome was questionable, the show seemed a bit... inconsistent on its own rules, and I would have liked more time spent on reflecting on the judgements, like episode 2 did).

That said, I loved it. Though not perfect, I loved its originality and the story is tried (mostly successfully) to tell. The skating scene was stunning. Contender for AOTY.

Squishy3

I can recommend Gintama as a goofball comedy about Edo-period Japan that got invaded by aliens, but it's also daunting because it's a lot of episodes. The first 2 on Crunchyroll are totally skippable though because they're anime original and introduce characters long before you actually meet them in the series proper.

But you're probably looking for something a little more compact, in which case I'd recommend:

Guggure Kokkuri-San, about a little girl who lives by herself and wishes the fox-spirit Kokkuri to be her friend.

Death Parade had some flaws (The pop-star girl pollen felt like there were several scenes missing, and the outcome was questionable, the show seemed a bit... inconsistent on its own rules, and I would have liked more time spent on reflecting on the judgements, like episode 2 did).

That said, I loved it. Though not perfect, I loved its originality and the story is tried (mostly successfully) to tell. The skating scene was stunning. Contender for AOTY.

Yeah, show needed a bit more baking in the over, a bit less icing, and a bit more filling but it was still a pretty delicious cake.

Also I realized the only show Funi picked up for simulcast this season and ISN'T planning to Simuldub is Rainy Cocoa, damn simuldubs must be doing extremely well for them as they've truly gone all in

Seemed alright quality wise, but watching dubbed after already getting used to the sub voices... is hard to do. Its impossible to not compare them, and you end up making a biased judgement because you're already so familiar with one.

Yep, it's part of the reason why I let myself "fall behind" on Funimation shows because I'd rather wait for the simuldub if there is going to be one. Though at this point it seems every show Funi gets going forward will be simuldubbed so I'll just always wait for their new simuldub season to start

Tuck

While the Sub is better than the Dub (I mean it's Gintama Seiyuus for crying out loud), the Dub is actually not bad, pretty good.

Also Dandy voicing as Zapp.😆

Seemed alright quality wise, but watching dubbed after already getting used to the sub voices... is hard to do. Its impossible to not compare them, and you end up making a biased judgement because you're already so familiar with one.

Yeah it's pretty hard, but the dub will actually be good because now you can take in all the background details and information the show provides you.

Cornbread78

I was going to watch more than one episode but I stopped. I liked the manga, but I don't feel like watching a possibly rushed adaptation of it. If its only one cour like I'm fearing, I'll be disappointed.

They did an okay job with the episodes beyond the first, but they just finished Odagiri's arc at episode 5. That leaves 7 episodes to do every single other witch plus the Seventh Witch arc. I guess you could do Meiko, Maria and Noa in a single episode a piece without really changing that much. The Seventh Witch arc needs at least a little space, imo.

The first two episodes were so so, but it's really picked up since. The last couple arcs have been really good and we're finally getting Some witches, lol. I remember someone saying that there was a lot more in the stories including additional relationshio stuff, so shouldn't thete be enough source material to do around 24 episodes? I hate when you can clearly full/see the shows are rushed.

since when was tsuritama conisdered a comedy

It was tagged that on one of the online sites, but, not too much. At some point I'll watch the last few episodes..

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Megumi Han is my favorite seiyuu and I still couldn't make it more than one episode into Ore Monogatari. Perhaps firehawk speaks the truth here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom