• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phatmac

Thus episode is better if you've watched kuroko no basuke. Good to see Sakamoto back more regularly but could've done more with this flashback style episode. Still it was pretty funny. I still would actually like some more flashbacks of the actual Joi war.

Gintama 116

I can't tell you guys how much I enjoyed the joke where they are stuck in the iron barred prison cell, and after the turtle guy makes an opening Kagura just kicks down the bars. The entire setup is just to make me think "Wait why is this a problem, isn't Kagura super strong?" and then BAM

Squishy3

Gintama 116

I can't tell you guys how much I enjoyed the joke where they are stuck in the iron barred prison cell, and after the turtle guy makes an opening Kagura just kicks down the bars. The entire setup is just to make me think "Wait why is this a problem, isn't Kagura super strong?" and then BAM
Ryugu Palace arc is super good, enjoy.

Phatmac

Gintama 116

She acts like such a silly girl most of the time then you get these acts of strength that make you remember that she's super strong. Lol keep going man show's amazing.

jbug617

Banned
Cornbread if you are looking for more shows I would reccomend Engaged to the Unidentified and Non Non Biyori
I don't know, like listening to a Kelly Clarkson CD over and over again.

14534---animated-gif-cute-dancing-jumping-tagme.gif

Cornbread78

A girl deals with her weight issues in a serious manner. It's probably the only time in anime where a woman deals with body issues, which is why I like it.

Gottcha. So its fun, funny, but takes issues seriously. I added it to the queue for later consideration.

Got a full list again. I'm just trying to decide if I should keep "From Me to You" on the list as well as all of the fate series I added last week. I'very watched so many drama/romantic shows lately, I could use a good useless comedy, even something like American Pie the anime, lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gottcha. So its fun, funny, but takes issues seriously. I added it to the queue for later consideration.

Got a full list again. I'm just trying to decide if I should keep "From Me to You" on the list as well as all of the fate series I added last week. I'very watched so many drama/romantic shows lately, I could use a good useless comedy, even something like American Pie the anime, lol.
From Me To You is fun and heartwarming at least!

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 4

Well, it wouldn't really be a proper real robot (is that even the right definition for this show? It sure ain't no super robot) anime if the main character didn't get sick of piloting his mecha and ditch the headquarters sooner or later.

I am so freaking impressed at how quiet and calm this show manages to be. Especially considering its setting. There was no robot action and there wasn't all that much dialogue in this episode.

For an episode like that to be in the fourth episode of a mecha anime about monsters attacking humanity, that's a pretty bold move.

And it works.

Like, this scene right here:

It stayed on this exact still for almost a minute, with nothing but ambience in the background. But it just felt so right, considering the events of the episode that led up to it. Both characters did not expect to find each other right then and there, so they took a moment just to let it sink in. It all felt so...natural.

This show really knows how to hit the right notes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My Love Story! 6

Suna shrinking in the background while Rinko and Ai compare notes on Takeo's manliness
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

MT5GgaI.gif

njqrtqz.gif

Well, it wouldn't really be a proper real robot (is that even the right definition for this show? It sure ain't no super robot) anime if the main character didn't get sick of piloting his mecha and ditch the headquarters sooner or later.

I am so freaking impressed at how quiet and calm this show manages to be. Especially considering its setting. There was no robot action and there wasn't all that much dialogue in this episode.

For an episode like that to be in the fourth episode of a mecha anime about monsters attacking humanity, that's a pretty bold move.

And it works.

Like, this scene right here:

It stayed on this exact still for almost a minute, with nothing but ambience in the background. But it just felt so right, considering the events of the episode that led up to it. Both characters did not expect to find each other right then and there, so they took a moment just to let it sink in. It all felt so...natural.

This show really knows how to hit the right notes.

It's fascinating to think that's the only script in the entire visual franchise for Eva where Anno had no input into the script. It was reportedly added late in production and so Anno was busy elsewhere. Very nice character piece IMO.

Evangelion is definitely super robot. It's very different than "typical" super robot shows, but it certainly isn't real robot. The Evas are definitely very super robot-y.

Evangelion is definitely super robot. It's very different than "typical" super robot shows, but it certainly isn't real robot. The Evas are definitely very super robot-y.

They definitely look the part, but for me, a super robot anime is filled with hotblooded characters, crazy attack names, and the like.

I think the character of Asuka who should be showing up soon is supposed to fill that void, but considering the reserved tone I've seen in this show for the past four episodes, I don't think it's going to be like what I'm used to.

I think it's more like the case of Eureka Seven, where the Nirvash looked like a super robot but the tone of the show was more akin to a real robot show.

My Love Story 6

How can he be so against kissing his best friend?! Any good friend would help him out. So strange to see especially in a season with Yamada and the Seven Witches where the guys dont mind kissing each other.

They definitely look the part, but for me, a super robot anime is filled with hotblooded characters, crazy attack names, and the like.

I think the character of Asuka who should be showing up soon is supposed to fill that void, but considering the reserved tone I've seen in this show for the past four episodes, I don't think it's going to be like what I'm used to.

I think it's more like the case of Eureka Seven, where the Nirvash looked like a super robot but the tone of the show was more akin to a real robot show.

I get where you're coming from, but I think Evangelion is definitely a super robot show, it's just a show that's intending to subvert the tropes of the genre. It's also heavily inspired by Space Runaway Ideon, which was definitely a super robot show.

While hot blooded characters and crazy attack names are common in super robot shows, I think Evangelion still qualifies without them. The Evas are super powerful mecha of mysterious origins, the main characters are young kids, the enemies they fight are mysterious alien invaders, who are mostly presented as monsters. It even largely follows a monster of the week format for the early part of the show. Evangelion is definitely a super robot show for me; it's just one where the tone is very dark and the show isn't filled with the sort of hot blooded stuff you expect from the genre.

Eureka Seven, on the other hand, always felt more like a real robot show, despite some of the mysterious events. It wears the Gundam references on its sleeve, complete with the main cast being based on a ship and even having kids running around, the central conflicts are between humans piloting different mecha, etc.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
My Love Story 6

How can he be so against kissing his best friend?! Any good friend would help him out. So strange to see especially in a season with Yamada and the Seven Witches where the guys dont mind kissing each other.

Are you really okay with so wantonly crossing the yaoi and bara streams?

cajunator

Banned
Spending time with an anime message board community makes you a weaboo.

No it doesnt

Something like "fast-tempo'd jazz zoo team" or something to that effect?

I actually reallyl ike that name. Better than Cowboy Bebop at least.

That's kind of how I operate, as well. I've grown far too accustomed to a computer program automatically fixing my spelling and grammatical mistakes, which certainly turns around to bite me anytime I write outside the confines of said programs.

Which is fine, I suppose. I should probably be putting more thought into what I write online. I don't want to end up devolving into 'stream of consciousness' style posts because, while those posts allow the reader to clearly discern the writers gut reaction to a show, they offer little insight into whatever is being discussed.

I dont bother usually. I type too many cajunwords that would just confuse spellcheck.

Toonami was the only thing I had until I discovered YouTube. Then after that and getting a job and the glory of online, my craving for anime has gone down and I am satisfied daily.

Dude, you're watching like 100 episodes a week at this rate, you might as well watch Hunter X Hunter and One Piece, greatest animes of all time. I don't include Steins;gate, GTO or Golden Boy since none of them are on Crunchyroll.

Youtube hadnt existed yet and barely the internet so it was basically what I could watch through friends and college for a while.
Once it started hitting mainstream thougH I used to live at Suncoast.

SO a friend recommended me Dan Machi.

I thought it was moe blob show, but it was really goofy, I decided I'd like to watch more shows like it, any recommendations?

Log Horizon!

Golden Boy is there I watched it earlier this week. Bothteh SUB and DUB versions are there. It's only 6 episodes long, lol.

BTW, which of the FUNI shows are decent to watch?

Watch Unbreakable Machine Dolls

Does f/sn REALLY look that good? The fights look good (from what I watched and some webm) but everything else is kinda shoddy tbh from how hard people fellate ufotable

And really no amount of time, budget, talent etc can fix bad source material.

FSN Ufotable version looks alright. I am honestly not THAT impressed by it.
Its better than the Deen one which is saying absolutely nothing. But they didnt get Rins face right and I dock major points for that.

This has something to do with my post doesn't it? :|

rip javac

Did I miss something about this? He's not banned.

I get where you're coming from, but I think Evangelion is definitely a super robot show, it's just a show that's intending to subvert the tropes of the genre. It's also heavily inspired by Space Runaway Ideon, which was definitely a super robot show.

While hot blooded characters and crazy attack names are common in super robot shows, I think Evangelion still qualifies without them. The Evas are super powerful mecha of mysterious origins, the main characters are young kids, the enemies they fight are mysterious alien invaders, who are mostly presented as monsters. It even largely follows a monster of the week format for the early part of the show. Evangelion is definitely a super robot show for me; it's just one where the tone is very dark and the show isn't filled with the sort of hot blooded stuff you expect from the genre.

Eureka Seven, on the other hand, always felt more like a real robot show, despite some of the mysterious events. It wears the Gundam references on its sleeve, complete with the main cast being based on a ship and even having kids running around, the central conflicts are between humans piloting different mecha, etc.

I guess I could agree with you there. I'm just way used to real robot shows being more serious in tone than super robot shows, and Eva just fit the bill in that regard, lol.

Cornbread78

Sabagebu!-Survival Game Club! Ep.1
OK, just watched this one on break and yeah, definitely funny stuff; adult humor, action scenes, jumping on your friends dead/dying body to get the final kill, awesome.. This will be a fun one to watch if it stays like this episode, lol.

Also, are there any other adult comedies similar to Golden Boy out there?

Midonin

Cornbread, a moment of your time, please.

When you finish Sabagebu, I would like you to watch Stella C3. It's also on CR, and I would love to know your thoughts on it. I'm one of the few who liked it more than Sabagebu, and I want to know what you think. I'm not going to give you any preconceived notions, merely that I'd recommend it to you and some of my recommendations (Whoo! Outbreak Company!) have worked before.

Jarmel

Banned
Evangelion is super robot, so is Eureka Seven. Eureka Seven was a bit more realistic early on as parts for the Nirvash had to be replaced and what not but eventually it totally goes super robot. Evangelion in tone is closer to say a real/normal robot show but it also goes full super robot at times. That's not even getting into Rebuild 2 with Shinji being all GAR.

The bigger difference between the two would be in target demographics. Eureka Seven was aiming for a younger audience, probably closer in age to say TTGL's audience.

There are definitely sombre super robot shows, one being Heroic Age. Which was god damn terrible.

Puruzi

Banned
Sabagebu!-Survival Game Club! Ep.1
OK, just watched this one on break and yeah, definitely funny stuff; adult humor, action scenes, jumping on your friends dead/dying body to get the final kill, awesome.. This will be a fun one to watch if it stays like this episode, lol.

Also, are there any other adult comedies similar to Golden Boy out there?

Yesss this show stays totally awesome all the way through.

Momoka and Urara the real MVPs

Ore Monogatari!! 6

Gv4fIO7.gif

These two are so goddamn cute oh my God.

Man this arc was even funnier in the anime than in manga. Suna and Takeo totally leveled up their friendship and I commend them for using protection haha.

Suna's sister and Yamato discussing Takeo and the plastic wrap scene were hilarious. Great stuff.

Cornbread78

Cornbread, a moment of your time, please.

When you finish Sabagebu, I would like you to watch Stella C3. It's also on CR, and I would love to know your thoughts on it. I'm one of the few who liked it more than Sabagebu, and I want to know what you think. I'm not going to give you any preconceived notions, merely that I'd recommend it to you and some of my recommendations (Whoo! Outbreak Company!) have worked before.

Yes, Outbreak Company, was good, too bad there is no S2 thiugh, that one had potential for so much more, Plus Myucel, enough said, lol.

Ok, I'll give it a shot; lots of "girls with guns" stuff today, lol. That's what got me in trouble with Angel Beats!

I'm convinced Cornbread has watched more anime than me already.

I almost want to break Cornbread just to see how he crumbles. Because I love me some corn bread. And corn fritters with the honey butter. That shit is AMAZING.

Also KirbYuuYuu got a thing. Unfortunately for dimb, it is not a new blanket.

And banned fig newtons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom