• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
There are definitely sombre super robot shows, one being Heroic Age. Which was god damn terrible.

The most prominent "dark" super robot show aside from Evangelion (that is also good) is arguably Getter Robo Armageddon. While it still has plenty of triumphant, hotblooded, over-the-top moments, it's incredibly bleak throughout and several important characters are defined as much or more by bitter vengeance as they are machismo and resilience. It's a rare example of a super robot anime where
the protagonists have already failed to save the world and are simply fighting to prevent the total extinction of humanity post-apocalypse

There are several more obscure examples from 1980s anime like Blue Comet SPT Layzner that I'm not really qualified to discuss because I haven't seen enough.

wonzo

Banned
Just curious, why do you dislike Jitsu wa so much?

It started off well but ultimately ends up collapsing on its own weight thanks to too many (flanderised) characters, an MC completely void of character, and the really obnoxious humour becoming far too grating the longer it went on. The "time travel" arc was the final nail in the coffin honestly.

New key visual for Jitsu wa Watashi wa

1376205359273.jpg

Evangelion is super robot, so is Eureka Seven. Eureka Seven was a bit more realistic early on as parts for the Nirvash had to be replaced and what not but eventually it totally goes super robot. Evangelion in tone is closer to say a real/normal robot show but it also goes full super robot at times. That's not even getting into Rebuild 2 with Shinji being all GAR.

The bigger difference between the two would be in target demographics. Eureka Seven was aiming for a younger audience, probably closer in age to say TTGL's audience.

There are definitely sombre super robot shows, one being Heroic Age. Which was god damn terrible.

Well, like I said before. I'm just more used to it being one or the other when it comes to these kind of mecha shows. I've yet to see Eva really do anything super robot as of yet, but I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Jarmel

Banned
The most prominent "dark" super robot show aside from Evangelion (that is also good) is arguably Getter Robo Armageddon. While it still has plenty of triumphant, hotblooded, over-the-top moments, it's incredibly bleak throughout and several important characters are defined as much or more by bitter vengeance as they are machismo and resilience. It's a rare example of a super robot anime where
the protagonists have already failed to save the world and are simply fighting to prevent the total extinction of humanity post-apocalypse

There are several more obscure examples from 1980s anime like Blue Comet SPT Layzner that I'm not really qualified to discuss because I haven't seen enough.

Armageddon had Stoner Sunshine which was hype as fuck.

That reminds me, I remember watching that a long time ago and not really enjoying it until the Stoner Sunshine and the final battle. I went into it without any knowledge of previous Getter stuff and I found that did more harm than good with regards to how much I understood what was going on or who the characters were.

I've been thinking of giving it a rewatch once I've finished reading the manga so I can go into it with the proper background.

I have no idea what is going on in this thread anymore.

it's disapointing .....

..... but still worth a watch IMO

It did get very entertaining when Chihaya finally lost her marbles in the last few episodes but it took way too long. Also for the mecha there were hardly any robo battles. I could count the number of fights that took place on two hands. It's bad fan fiction made into a 26 episode long anime with way too many plot holes.

cajunator

Banned
I'd opt to have dynamic character acting animation over fight scene sakuga in most cases.

Those of you who backed the Bubblegum Crisis BD kickstarter should have gotten a new e-mail by now. AnimEigo's next kickstarter project will be a BD release of Otaku no Video! I'm excited about this one.

So, onto a different list now GAF, what are some good, funny series out there? I'm completely fine with crude, sophomoric or childish humor. Saekano and Golden Boy were both funny shows to me Tsuritama wasn't that funny.

Crunchyroll preferred, but Hulu and Funimation work too.

Nichibros
Sabagebu
Love Lab
Bingougami Ga
B Gata H Kei

since when was tsuritama considered a comedy

Its not. More a coming of age/learning to be social thing

Cornbread watch Tari Tari if you want a nice feel good show with music and cute girls.

I second this!

I don't know, like listening to a Kelly Clarkson CD over and over again.

Hell no. For one, the music was really great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S_y6bT3Ais

So, onto a different list now GAF, what are some good, funny series out there? I'm completely fine with crude, sophomoric or childish humor. Saekano and Golden Boy were both funny shows to me Tsuritama wasn't that funny.

Mitsudomoe is a really funny show with crude humor. It's on Crunchyroll.

I'd recommend Minami-ke, but I don't think it's on any of these streaming services.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Inferno Cop
Space Dandy
Tonari no Seki-kun!
Kiniro Mosaic

What? Nooo *shivers*

Yes. So good. The right balance of light and dark, yin and yang, sweet and hearty.

moveto-nebraska-1.jpg

Cornbread78

Gunbuster 01

So this is what Anno worked on before Evangelion. Fairly typical super robo (am I using this definition right?) fare with triangle punches and lightning kicks. It amuses me that they do push ups and laps around the field in their robots as their training regiment.

Amano chosen as one of the pilots in the space campaign when she can barely stand in her mech was a bit surprising. The shoujo bullying really escalated after that announcement. Verbal abuse, mecha vandalism and (gasp) even tacks on her seat! This was resolved rather quickly with the school yard mecha fight but it's not that surprising given this series is only 6 episodes long.

E: oh, another thing to note. Apparently this is supposed to take place in 2015. Where are my school yard mechas Japan?!?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I've never heard of someone not being aware that chili and cornbread are typically paired together, much less thinking that it sounds gross. This is the most offensive opinion in this thread since the last person who admitted to liking Eureka Seven AO.

What? Nooo *shivers*

Cinnamon (and chocolate and peanut butter) in chili are common additives here in Cincinnati but I've never heard of substituting an actual cinnamon bun in place of regular bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom