• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

If you just write up a post in some other program, before brining them over to NeoGAF, you'll probably find that you writing gains both coherence and fluidity.

So you can tell I'm used to typing in Outlook all day with grammer and spelling check on? No way...lol

Makes perfect sense as it all felt pushed together with no major plotline or character developement. It was just an advertisement series.... So much promise wasted....

I mean, the plot was a fairly straight adaptation of the first few volumes I think. But, in general, almost all LN adaptations are made just to bolster sales for the novel. In the rare occasions where the anime happens to be extremely popular and sell enough on its own, then the adaptation might get continued. Problem Children was not one of those cases.

Ojamajo Doremi 5:
CE58ivcVEAE2Yis.png
CE5-XT_VIAAjGHQ.png

CE5_juUUMAEq3Cf.png
CE6AVzqUEAAkpgD.png
This show remains very charming all the way through. The first half of the episode, focused around the store, was pretty fun to watch, especially seeing how much they struggled at first without anyone coming into the store. It was all carried by the character interactions, but it was quite good, and it was nice when they turned things around a little bit. Majo Rika gets so petty when things aren't going her way (which seems to be most of the time).

The second half focused around Kotake's story was pretty good. Doremi and Kotake's interactions are highly amusing, and it was fun to see her trying to save the day from the background, and with almost everything she was doing not going quite as planned. Maybe Doremi should try being more precise with her wording when she uses magic. Despite progressing through things quite clumsily, things worked out for everyone in the end. Kotake's problem might have been something minor, but it absolutely feels like a genuine issue that a kid would face, so I appreciate that. The scenes at the start of the episode with Doremi's family were also pretty good. I really enjoy the little arguments between Doremi's parents, who feel very genuine to me.

cajunator

Banned
I mean, the plot was a fairly straight adaptation of the first few volumes I think. But, in general, almost all LN adaptations are made just to bolster sales for the novel. In the rare occasions where the anime happens to be extremely popular and sell enough on its own, then the adaptation might get continued. Problem Children was not one of those cases.

The way I see it, at least we got a figurine of KuroUsagi out of it. Im content.

I love that you just had the exact same reaction to the same joke by the same poster as last time.

Unless it's on purpose then I hate you.

:(

Seriously though, I have no idea what those words meant.

Midonin

Ga-Rei Zero 01-03

Starting the first episode in media res following a group of characters who the rest of the narrative isn't going to follow, only to have them all
brutally murdered
was certainly a big deal back in the day, though even knowing it's coming, it's still very visceral. Not sure what's going to lead Yomi down the path she takes in episode 2, but their relationship in episode 3... yeah, that's yuri. I can recognize it when I see it. It adds a nice, personal touch to what would otherwise be a fairly standard story about monster extermination in modern day Japan. And has one of the longest leadups to hearing the show's proper OP - not even with animation yet - that I've seen. Having the first episode's ED credits be little more than the sound of crackling flames was quite effective, though.

Yuri levels and non-linear storytelling are sufficient enough to hold my interest at the onset.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Acquaintance is not friend thought
They aren't really though.

Hayama's group is certainly just acquaintances, Totsuka and Zaimokuza are probably closer to being his actual friends, and Yui and Yukino are clearly his actual friends. He's just dumb and acts like they aren't because he's Hachiman.

Well, that and they're all dumb teenagers who say they aren't his friends (despite clearly being his friends); Yukino because she's got the same brain problems Hachiman does, and Yui because she doesn't want Hachiman to get the "wrong" idea (he would be getting the right idea). Yui in particular I don't see how she doesn't count though - she asks him to hang out all the time and cries over him, etc. Unless you're just not counting her because she wants his body.

Jex

So you can tell I'm used to typing in Outlook all day with grammer and spelling check on? No way...lol

That's kind of how I operate, as well. I've grown far too accustomed to a computer program automatically fixing my spelling and grammatical mistakes, which certainly turns around to bite me anytime I write outside the confines of said programs.

Which is fine, I suppose. I should probably be putting more thought into what I write online. I don't want to end up devolving into 'stream of consciousness' style posts because, while those posts allow the reader to clearly discern the writers gut reaction to a show, they offer little insight into whatever is being discussed.

Midonin

Wish Upon the Pleiades 06

Wait, so Minato and Horned Cape aren't the same guy? The show's been talking about multiple timelines and possibilities since it started, but this is the first time that concept looks to be really coming into play and having an affect on the plot. I've said it every time, but I love the starry sky backgrounds and twinkly music that accompanies them in this show. The majesty of space is being utilized to its emotional potential, giving the show a special place in the middle of the week for me. Fitting that there's just enough fragments to fit a one-cour runtime. I've slowly been realizing it over the course of the season, but this may be my secret favorite show of this season.

Baalzebup

I thought being a weeabo was when you thought everything from Japan was superior just because it was from Japan

That would indeed be the original and core meaning of the "word", but much like all such things, it has suffered abuse with people using it willy-nilly to refer to anime and manga (or even JRPG) fans in general.

Think about the misuse of the word "epic" just a few years ago.

I swear if Funimation screws up on the dub for Blood Blockade Battlefront, I'm gonna be highly disappointed. This series screams for a good dub.

Oh well time will tell when Funimation releases the dub cast and episode today.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still don't understand how ufotable seems to have an unlimited budget on Fate/stay night. Like, I literally don't think I've seen a broadcast anime that came close outside of a few key scenes at the beginning or end.

(I also don't understand what happened to the nose budget)

I still don't understand how ufotable seems to have an unlimited budget on Fate/stay night. Like, I literally don't think I've seen a broadcast anime that came close outside of a few key scenes at the beginning or end.

Space Dandy was only a few months ago!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I used to have an old TV with a DVD player in it and that was my anime workhorse. I put so many hundreds of hours into that thing.

Toonami was the only thing I had until I discovered YouTube. Then after that and getting a job and the glory of online, my craving for anime has gone down and I am satisfied daily.

This pace will slow down very soon, hopefully... Just clearing out backlog of shorter series' the past week or so.

Dude, you're watching like 100 episodes a week at this rate, you might as well watch Hunter X Hunter and One Piece, greatest animes of all time. I don't include Steins;gate, GTO or Golden Boy since none of them are on Crunchyroll.

Jex

I mean, given duckroll's deeper knowledge of ufotable this is more something he'd know about, but it's important to consider that in some cases it's more a question of talent than budget. For example, that action scene that people were raving about a few weeks ago was animated by one dude and as you can see from his past works he's extremely talented.

Also, from what my experiences with Fate/Zero and the little I watched of Fate/Stay Night, while the action tends to look pretty good there are plenty of sequences where the character acting is fairly bland. It's not like every aspect is out of this world like, say, Denno Coil, or Space Dandy.

phaze

I don't really remember how it stakes up in terms of backgrounds (it probably doesn't) but FMA:B was mightily impressive when it came to action. Would have to rewatch but I think it's not very far away. And it might have had more of it.

Isn't Type/Moon and Fate in particular giant in Japan ? They probably know they can expect great sales and are thus not afraid of pumping money in it.

Moaradin

I swear if Funimation screws up on the dub for Blood Blockade Battlefront, I'm gonna be highly disappointed. This series screams for a good dub.

The other broadcast dubs are pretty good. I have high hopes.

SO a friend recommended me Dan Machi.

I thought it was moe blob show, but it was really goofy, I decided I'd like to watch more shows like it, any recommendations?

Cornbread78

Toonami was the only thing I had until I discovered YouTube. Then after that and getting a job and the glory of online, my craving for anime has gone down and I am satisfied daily.

Dude, you're watching like 100 episodes a week at this rate, you might as well watch Hunter X Hunter and One Piece, greatest animes of all time. I don't include Steins;gate, GTO or Golden Boy since none of them are on Crunchyroll.

Golden Boy is there I watched it earlier this week. Bothteh SUB and DUB versions are there. It's only 6 episodes long, lol.

BTW, which of the FUNI shows are decent to watch?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

If the execution on the story were a little better, cause the animations are really good, I would go nuts for a dub.

Golden Boy is there I watched it earlier this week. Bothteh SUB and DUB versions are there. It's only 6 episodes long, lol.

STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY! My old username on other websites would be studyguy but some other person took it here. Its the poster with a "You are ruining my life" avatar.

phaze

GTO is on Crunchyroll.

Angry Grimace

I mean, given duckroll's deeper knowledge of ufotable this is more something he'd know about, but it's important to consider that in some cases it's more a question of talent than budget. For example, that action scene that people were raving about a few weeks ago was animated by one dude and as you can see from his past works he's extremely talented.

Also, from what my experiences with Fate/Zero and the little I watched of Fate/Stay Night, while the action tends to look pretty good there are plenty of sequences where the character acting is fairly bland. It's not like every aspect is out of this world like, say, Denno Coil, or Space Dandy.

No amount of budget is going to fix Shirou being Shirou

Definitely, I don't even think the show has good visuals because they're just way too inconsistent, there's plenty crap like cheeky mouths and weirdly drawn profile shots and the generally bad direction doesn't help either.

And some of that certainly has less to do with the budget but choice of director, character designer etc.

Angry Grimace

Definitely, I don't even think the show has good visuals because they're just way too inconsistent, there's plenty crap like cheeky mouths and weirdly drawn profile shots and the generally bad direction doesn't help either.

And some of that certainly has less to do with the budget but choice of director, character designer etc.

I mean, compared to what? Pretty much every anime has a shitload of off-model moments, in my experience.

TheRancor

I feel the term "budget" is abused greatly, especially in terms of anime and while money can really help, the important things that drive a show's visual quality is the talent of the people behind it and the scheduling given to them.

Narag

I feel the term "budget" is abused greatly, especially in terms of anime and while money can really help, the important things that drive a show's visual quality is the talent of the people behind it and the scheduling given to them.

Still hoping Shirobako finally disabuses people of this notion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom