• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Heads up peeps, my Darker Than Black Season 1 Bluray Collection just shipped.

Got my order in early for only $54 too!

You get stuff so early lol.
Im kind of jelly. I didnt order DTB blurays though. Im happy with dvd for the time being because its not a high priority show for me.

Thoraxes

You get stuff so early lol.
Im kind of jelly. I didnt order DTB blurays though. Im happy with dvd for the time being because its not a high priority show for me.

I'm just wondering how limited the release will truly be. I know there are 5000 units being made, but I wonder how much of that has been sold/pre-ordered so far.

If I didn't get that cheap price locked in for the release, I would've had my sister pick it up for me at ACEN this weekend.

SNAFU2 07

Fuck, things are getting out of hand 8-man, get a grip dude! You know it yourself yet you are doing nothing about it and letting things slip by...

Also,
his middle school friend constantly saying "Preach that!" killed me lol. What a useless girl lmfao.

Punchline 6
This reminds me more of Never 7 every week.
I wasn't expecting the transgendered (if that's what he is) twist, but the time travel and man under the mask reveal was pretty obvious.

cajunator

Banned
I'm just wondering how limited the release will truly be. I know there are 5000 units being made, but I wonder how much of that has been sold/pre-ordered so far.

If I didn't get that cheap price locked in for the release, I would've had my sister pick it up for me at ACEN this weekend.

fuck is it that limited? I really hate how limited these things are. Its pricing casual buyers out of the market and this aint even that special of a release.

edit: screw it I just bought it. Im a fool.

Acosta

1) Introduction of former classmate is great cause in 6th episode you can see that her attitude to Hachiman changed. Yeah, she still laughs at him, but there is no more bad intent or some arrogance. She really learnt her lesson from Hayama.

2) Despite being a loner Hachiman is still proud, so it was a hit for him. He already accepted this kind of attitude to himself from people, so what Hayama did was really unexpeted to him. It's really hard to accept help from people who are not close to you, so I can understand him.

1) Hachiman didn't look very amused in the sith episode...

2) I feel you are right, but I thought the reaction was too overblown and a bit out of character.

Just watched the 7th..... man, this is getting so sad.

SAY SOMETHING YOU DUMBASS

Time to see I can't Understand what My Husband is Saying. I need to cheer up :_(

Cornbread78

I realize I skipped episode 3 impressions, but there really wasn't a whole lot to talk about in that episode.

Kanon 4

"When was it that dreams started to have no end?" Very ominous, given the theme of memory loss lately.

Cute childhood scene.

Makotrolled.

ibn4j321mGHmAq.jpg

This can't be good.

Hmm, Miss Akiko seems to know of Ayu. The mystery deepens.

And auu meets uguu. This can only lead to the best of conversations!

"Uguu!"

"auu..."

"uguu..."

And once more with knight girl. Who, according to the preview, is a demon hunter. What genre is this, again?

So far, a really cutesy show, but with an unsettling undertone. Kind of reminds me of Higurashi When The Cry, although I doubt it will get to those levels.

Oh, you have no idea dude, no idea. You're still in set-up mode with a lighthearted Cute vs. Cute battle, lol. It all makes sense later, well, for the most part, lol.

Cornbread78

aww there used to be an uguu button on a webpage. MikeHattsu set it up.
Oh well heres an Au~ page http://auaurikka.web.fc2.com/
and for good measure here is the almighty Nyanpasu~ http://nyanpass.com

I'll have to try from my work comp. later, it doesn't work on my phone, lol.

In your case that site might be extremely helpful. It will even recommend similar shows to the ones you are watching.

With the amount of anime you've watched, it'll make keeping track of things much easier.

I think someone mentioned I should a few weeks ago as well. The site isn't blocked at work, so I'll give it a whirl later.

Saudades

Summary:
The novel series revolves around Shōtarō Tatewaki and Sakurako Kujyō. Shōtarō is a normal high school student with a serious demeanor who likes to show off his girlfriend Sakurako. Sakurako is an extraordinarily beautiful woman in her mid-20s from a rich family who loves "beautiful bones." The two live in the city of Asahikawa in Hokkaido, and they get involved in various incidents regarding bones.
Would've been perfect if it was animated by BONES.

lonely

Has anyone watched this weeks Animator Expo? I was going to watch it at work but it has a 18+ warning so decided against it.

phaze

The Continuous Bullying of Asahina Mikuru 04/07

Whether its Jojo or Haruhi, baseball will never be not boring.

I should probably learn the rules one of these days though.

This
aliens angle
is so weird.

Thoraxes

fuck is it that limited? I really hate how limited these things are. Its pricing casual buyers out of the market and this aint even that special of a release.

edit: screw it I just bought it. Im a fool.

"This product is limited to 5000 units total."

That's they get ya! I think this is the first time blurays have been made available in USA for the first season, which is why I was more than ready to throw down my money for the occasion.

At least you should get 10% off with GotAnime. I've gotten like at least 4 times the value of what i've put into that over the past year with my anime buying habits.

cajunator

Banned
Samsung Galaxy Avant.

Says the plug-in isn't supported. .

thats odd. I have a Galaxy S4 it works really well. I am using dolphin browser though.

That's they get ya! I think this is the first time blurays have been made available in USA for the first season, which is why I was more than ready to throw down my money for the occasion.

At least you should get 10% off with GotAnime. I've gotten like at least 4 times the value of what i've put into that over the past year with my anime buying habits.

Those sons of bitches get me more often than not :(
Also, who composes Nagi no Asakura because HOLY SHIT

Mabufu

Banned
The Continuous Bullying of Asahina Mikuru 04/07

Whether its Jojo or Haruhi, baseball will never be not boring.

I should probably learn the rules one of these days though.

This
aliens angle
is so weird.

Each round, one team attacks (the one which have to hit the ball) and the other deffend (the one which throws the ball (pitching)).

If the batter hits the ball, he must run through the field bases.
The other players who are on bases already may run too. The team scores if a player completes the 4 bases.

After a hit, the ball must return to the pitcher. If when the picher gets it, a player is still running reaching for the next base, that player gets eliminated.

The fourth batter is considered the most important because in the fourth hit is when it's suposed to be more players on bases, so there's the possibility to score more points.

An squeeze play, is a play where a player on third base can start running to score before even the pitcher throws the ball. That means that the batter MUST hit the ball no matter what, else is a suicide of the player.

I think that's all you need to understand that episode.

Someone may correct me if I said something wrong, I'm not an expert of this.

TheRancor

I think I remember Yamashita from Pierrot complaining about his salary before he got upped to animation and episode director. (And movie one too now.) I must say I have a hard time believing there isn't some significant financial bonus for the experienced and renowned animators. Regardless even if they get paid by the cut/number of drawings this still ties the quality of animation to the budget. If you don't want your episode to be a stills fest you're going to need more drawings and you're going to need to pay for them. The talent can only take you so far. It seems to me to be no coincidence that low budget shows like SS: Omega and other Toei atrocites look like crap whereas things like Denno Coil and others drown in money and end up looking great.

Now, I never said budget wasn't important, just that it can be blown out of proportion. Allocation of budget does obviously occur, Space Dandy's trial episode for instance is an example of that, so that they could blow money on the finale. However, when there is good looking scene, some people tend to sometimes scream budget like some kind of soulless quantifier that automatically makes things look better when it's usually evidenced some notable key animator was responsible or a good storyboarder. Not the best example but most of Fate/Zero or Fate/Stay Night's best looking animation is arguably by Nozomu Abe, who is quite talented and not because he was given a lot of money.

Most production woes and ugliness are due to rushed schedules or perhaps bad management, so while obviously you need money to not have a ton of stills, it's usually not the biggest problem for studios especially when we know staff get paid peanuts for work. If a key animator and animation director list for an episode is relatively small, that's usually a good sign because they didn't hire tons of people to help meet the dead line, this is the case of a lot of KyoAni shows in general which have excellent scheduling while the opposite of that would be the infamous Attack on Titan. A-1 Pictures for instance is a studio that have bad schedules from time to time that catch up to them, see things like Magi S1 (Our in-between frames from China were late!), Nanatsu no Taizai, Kaito Kid etc. Even when they do manage to hold it together like Your Lie in April look at this comparison with Sound! Euphonium in the number of animators for a performance episode.

There is also the consideration of Blu-ray corrections, if they didn't have enough money in the first place, why would they bother correcting things? See Wizard Barristers for a particularly nasty one.

In the case of your examples. SS: Omega, I imagine it is also due to being Toei-d, their workforce and talent are stretched really thin as they have ton of shows on their plate. A recent Toei business report states that revenue went up when they increased the number of shows being produced, so that says something about their production ethic I think.

It's true Denno Coil has the benefit of large budget but it also had gobs of serious talent that Iso recruited for the show probably with the help of personal connections and for being a renown animator. It also took a long time for Iso to create/plan the show for what it's worth.

Gonna use this, stolen from XX chart, to hopefully lend some credence to my argument. :p

in9bgq9gbbnczgro3c.png

NGE looks like shit and had, predictably, low budget.

I disagree, I think NGE looks great, with interesting scene composition, good layouts, cool imagery and some of the best mechanical animators of the era worked on the show, even everyone's favorite action animator Yutapon has a scene. The first episode is a fine example of efficiency with only 700 animation frames yet it looks better than a lot of other shows. The budget hits affect the last quarter of the show most I believe but I cannot accept the idea NGE looked bad. It looks good despite its limitations with very efficient budget management.

But if you are going to use the chart for your argument, how about we take a look at some of these big budget shows shall we. Gundam SEED DESTINY cost a ton per episode, one of the most expensive anime productions to date. Yet the show is a mess, plagued with an unbelievable amount of reused animation and just a lot of general design uglyness, Hisashi Hirai character designs anyone? Overall it was a rather average production. A lot of it is also attributed poor planning by the director Fukuda who wanted to have spectacular stock footage to reuse so a lot of time and effort went into that to the detriment of everything else. Then there is Morosawa his wife the scriptwriter who had cancer during SEED which caused delays with the scripts and continued to do so in DESTINY. He refused to replace her and there were a ton of complaints. Lots of recap episodes because late scripts don't allow for the animation to finish hence causing shit scheduling.

There is also Samurai 7, pretty big budget, should look good right? Unfortunately the studio was Gonzo and the show has never been noted as a particularly good looking production with lots of seemingly dated CG. There are some exceptions like Hisashi Mori's half of episode 7 and maybe some backgrounds since Hiromasa Ogura was art director.

On the other hand whether you like the show or not Gurren Lagann looks far better than both with a much lower budget and a lot of good animation.

So to sum up, budget's obviously a factor since the resources you have in a project depend on how much money you've got, but the real limiting factor in TV anime is time. Cheap projects have a tendency to be rushed as well but given the skill and time those can also be well produced. Having a good schedule makes a lot of difference.

cajunator

Banned
Now, I never said budget wasn't important, just that it can be blown out of proportion. Allocation of budget does obviously occur, Space Dandy's trial episode for instance is an example of that, so that they could blow money on the finale. However, when there is good looking scene, some people tend to sometimes scream budget like some kind of soulless quantifier that automatically makes things look better when it's usually evidenced some notable key animator was responsible or a good storyboarder. Not the best example but most of Fate/Zero or Fate/Stay Night's best looking animation is arguably by Nozomu Abe, who is quite talented and not because he was given a lot of money.

Most production woes and ugliness are due to rushed schedules or perhaps bad management, so while obviously you need money to not have a ton of stills, it's usually not the biggest problem for studios especially when we know staff get paid peanuts for work. If a key animator and animation director list for an episode is relatively small, that's usually a good sign because they didn't hire tons of people to help meet the dead line, this is the case of a lot of KyoAni shows in general which have excellent scheduling while the opposite of that would be the infamous Attack on Titan. A-1 Pictures for instance is a studio that have infamous schedules from time to time that catch up to them, see things like Magi S1 (Our in-between frames from China were late!), Nanatsu no Taizai, Kaito Kid etc. Even when they do manage to hold it together like Your Lie in April look at this comparison with Sound! Euphonium in the number of animators for a performance episode.

There is also the consideration of Blu-ray corrections, if they didn't have enough money in the first place, why would they bother correcting things? See Wizards Barristers for a particularly nasty one.

In the case of your examples. SS: Omega, I imagine it is also due to being Toei-d, their workforce and talent are stretched really thin as they have ton of shows on their plate. A recent Toei business report states that revenue went up when they increased the number of shows being produced, so that says something about their production ethic I think

It's true Denno Coil has the benefit of large budget but it also had gobs of serious talent that Iso recruited for the show probably with the help of personal connections and for being a renown animator. It also took a long time for Iso to create/plan the show for what it's worth.

I disagree, I think NGE looks great, with interesting scene composition, good layouts, cool imagery and some of the best mechanical animators of the era worked on the show, even everyone's favorite action animator Yutapon has a scene. The first episode is a fine example of efficiency with only 700 animation frames yet it looks better than a lot of other shows. The budget hits affect the last quarter of the show most I believe but I cannot accept the idea NGE looked bad. It looks good despite its limitations with very efficient budget management.

But if you are going to use the chart for your argument, how about we take a look at some of these big budget shows shall we. Gundam SEED DESTINY cost a ton per episode, one of the most expensive anime productions to date. Yet the show is a mess, plagued with an unbelievable amount of reused animation and just a lot of general design uglyness, Hisashi Hirai character designs anyone? Overall it was a rather average production. A lot of it is also attributed poor planning by the director Fukuda who wanted to have spectacular stock footage to reuse so a lot of time and effort went into that to the detriment of everything else. Then there is Morosawa his wife the scriptwriter who had cancer during SEED which caused delays with the scripts and continued to do so in DESTINY. He refused to replace her and there were a ton of complaints. Lots of recap episodes because late scripts don't allow for the animation to finish hence causing shit scheduling.

There is also Samurai 7, pretty big budget, should look good right? Unfortunately the studio was Gonzo and the show has never been noted as a particualrly good looking production with lots of seemingly dated CG. There are some exceptions like Hisashi Mori's half of episode 7 and maybe some backgrounds since Hiromasa Ogura was art director.

On the other hand whether you like the show or not Gurren Lagann looks far better than both with a much lower budget and a lot of good animation.

So to sum up, budget's obviously a factor since the resources you have in a project depend on how much money you've got, but the real limiting factor in TV anime is time. Cheap projects have a tendency to be rushed as well but given the skill and time those can also be well produced. Having a good schedule makes a lot of difference.

Hisashi Hirai character designs can ruin anything. I have no idea how that guy still has work. Most uninspiring designs in the business.

Funimation's not always had the best of luck with limited amounts of LEs. Some LEs produced for about 3-5k units still haven't sold out a couple years later. The whole 5,000 units may sound like a lot, but barring an exceedingly popular show or one that's really recent, it's not. For every Cowboy Bebop that sells out of the 12k LEs produced, there's a Fujiko Mine that still has LEs to this very day when it was released 2 years ago. My own personal opinion is that the 5k won't move out that quickly.

cajunator

Banned
Funimation's not always had the best of luck with limited amounts of LEs. Some LEs produced for about 3-5k units still haven't sold out a couple years later. The whole 5,000 units may sound like a lot, but barring an exceedingly popular show or one that's really recent, it's not. For every Cowboy Bebop that sells out of the 12k LEs produced, there's a Fujiko Mine that still has LEs to this very day when it was released 2 years ago. My own personal opinion is that the 5k won't move out that quickly.

true but its really not THAT expensive so I went ahead and bought it.

I mean, obviously in anime direction is critical above all else. Being able to make the most of a limited budget and schedule is always important. There are series that aren't super well animated from a technical perspective, but because of fantastic direction it's easy to overlook. Having a big budget will never guarantee good quality, but it definitely helps. A better budget helps acquire more and better talent for instance.

TheRancor

Thats pretty awesome.
Do you know the names of the composers who did sora no woto and Chihayafuru? Cause I really love those too. and space bros while we're at it.

Sora no Woto composer; Oshima Michiru

Chihayafuru composer; Yamashita Kousuke

Space Bros composer; Watanabe Toshiyuki
Great choices, I really like all three.

I mean, obviously in anime direction is critical above all else. Being able to make the most of a limited budget and schedule is always important. There are series that aren't super well animated from a technical perspective, but because of fantastic direction it's easy to overlook. Having a big budget will never guarantee good quality, but it definitely helps. A better budget helps acquire more and better talent for instance.
Obviously having good direction is important. However I was mostly discussing production quality but of course they aren't mutually exclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom