• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Ok, so I've spent way too long today on MyAnimelist.

So which of these is be better romantic comedy, or just romance in general?

- Air -
- Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (Haganai) -
- Chobits -
- Date A Live -
- More Girls Bravo: First Season -
- High School DxD -
- Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? -
- Love Hina -
- Machine-Doll wa Kizutsukanai -
- Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Airing -
- More Seiken no Blacksmith -

Air is super depressing
Haganai is great comedy but about friendship
Chobits is cute and romantic in an odd way
Date a live is fun harem schlock
Girls Bravo is fanservicey harem comedy schlock
High school dxd I have no idea
Zombie is fun but also not really romantic
Love Hina is shitty early harem but it has moments
Machine doll is more flirty fanservice but I love it
Nagato yuki I have no idea
Sacred Blacksmith is also not overly romantic

Ok, so I've spent way too long today on MyAnimelist.

So which of these is be better romantic comedy, or just romance in general?

- Air -
- Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (Haganai) -
- Chobits -
- Date A Live -
- More Girls Bravo: First Season -
- High School DxD -
- Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? -
- Love Hina -
- Machine-Doll wa Kizutsukanai -
- Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu Airing -
- More Seiken no Blacksmith -

Ignore seiken no blacksmith,
Ignore Girls Bravo

The rest is watchable but Machine doll , and haganai CAN be skipped without much loss.

Watch the rest.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I only really remember one thing about Chobits:

Chi walking around the city saying "pantsu? pantsu? pantsu? pantsu? "

Cornbread78

Air - you already watched Kanon and Clannad - may as well watch this. I'm not a fan of this series, but it's last in this trinity.
And you should try School Rumble - it's old, but comedy is golden here.

You should really enjoy Chobits - they're better than Plastic Memories in similiar topic)

Thanks, I updated

Air is super depressing
Haganai is great comedy but about friendship
Date a live is fun harem schlock
Girls Bravo is fanservicey harem comedy schlock
High school dxd I have no idea
Zombie is fun but also not really romantic
Love Hina is shitty early harem but it has moments
Nagato yuki I have no idea
Sacred Blacksmith is also not overly romantic

sweet, now I just have to find where they are being streamed. I added them all to my MAL. I think I finished updating it for the most part as well, althought, I do think I might have missed somethings...

So they are all pretty average and none really romantic, lol. There are recs that MAL gave me, lol.

Wait, the lady (apartment manager) from the beginning of Chobits is Sanae from Clannad as well, correct? That voice!

Midonin

Nisekoi: 06

What I'd expect from an anime Valentine's Day episode, except for Marika. If she went to all that trouble to make and refrigerate a David-esque Raku made of chocolate, it's in the interests of the censors that she covered it up with a towel, otherwise there'd be chocolate dangly bits everywhere. And the show continues the trend of love interests getting along better with each other than fandom assumes they do.

cajunator

Banned
Thanks, I updated

sweet, now I just have to find where they are being streamed. I added them all to my MAL. I think I finished updating it for the most part as well, althought, I do think I might have missed somethings...

So they are all pretty average and none really romantic, lol. There are recs that MAL gave me, lol.

Wait, the lady (apartment manager) from the beginning of Chobits is Sanae from Clannad as well, correct? That voice!

Im not sure. Its been a long time since I watched it. I recall she has a soft voice and demeanor. The ara ara type of voice.
i do however know how Sumomo sounds because I have a talking figure of her!

Theonik

We doin' this?
MyAnimeList
Hummingbird

Heard people talking about bones, got excited, but it's not BONES. :(
BONES is actually doing things you can actually like without having to defend them for something now. Several shows in a row!

is it Me! Me! Me! 2?
It's more a Japan right-wing waaaa work with a sex scene.

NGE looks like shit? That's hilarious. The visuals were the area with the least apparent production problems.
Question of perspective. NGE uses its limited budget very effectively before it falls apart due to good creative direction.
Budget isn't everything but it matters, creative staff isn't everything but it also matters a lot.
The part that is often very naively ignored here and I see in gaming side as well is production. I suppose because it's not a part that is very transparent to the consumer and not considered when thinking about projects but it changes a lot of things.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Im not sure. Its been a long time since I watched it. I recall she has a soft voice and demeanor. The ara ara type of voice.
i do however know how Sumomo sounds because I have a talking figure of her!

The apartment manager he's referring to is Kikuko Inoue doing her Belldandy voice straight-up. All three characters are Inoue doing the exact same voice (i.e. the one she's famous for).

ibyea

Banned
Mushi-shi 2:12
Wow, that is really bittersweet.
Man basically goes lives multiple times through his entire life because of a mushi, each time forgetting he ever lived through it except from some deja vu. After in one loop, Ginko warns him about it, he doesn't enter the giant Mushi tunnel, and looks forward to the days after. Except his wife dies soon after due to an accident, so he sends her through the tunnel knowing he would be absorbed by the mushi tunnel to save her life. But then she is the one trapped in the time loops.
What an interesting scenario, I really like this episode.

phaze

Are you watching by the aired order or story order?

Started with the episode 1 of the chronological order but I've been going by the broadcast one since then.

Jojo Stardust Crusaders 43
004417aaspt.png
Araki really, really hates dogs huh ?

Really great episode. The upped stakes, the Iggy and Polnareff cooperation and companionship, dat Dio, the glorious censored gore and dem broken bones. Maybe the best one from the SC for me. Gimme more.

Polnareff is so not dead.

Midonin

DanMachi 07

I just realized that Hestia and Lili are Chino and Sharo in terms of voices. Nice. Even though their characters in GochiUsa didn't interact as much as other pairings. So the Aiz have it. I thought Aiz was lacking a personality at first, but she has one, it's just muted. Probably because of a combination of her natural talent and what people expect of her with that talent. Bell's a modest young man, so I think he would've sided with Hestia's conscience, no matter what spirit-grandpa said. To each his Dulcinea, even if she's naught but flame and an airhead. Which makes me wonder how many side jobs Hestia's going to take up to keep her Familia running.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 43

kzT3Q9T.jpg

Someone shop Pol's head into the End of Eva cover

Man this is the most fucking brutal fight, even with some censoring. That kicking scene was gruesome. Actually started tearing up a little and the end there

They could not have chosen a better place to end this episode. Goddamn that tease. The preview spoils it but still.

Looks like they will shove
Suzie Q and Holly
into next episode but it won't take up a whole lot of time.

Last few minutes of 44 to the End will be what we were waiting for. It's been a long journey, but the end is in sight.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Assassination Classroom Episode 17:

This seems to be a bunch of transitional sketch in preparation for the next big arc, nothing terrible but nothing all that interesting either.

Midonin

Disappearance of Yuki Nagato 07

Really easygoing episode, with everyone being themselves and lots of pushing for Kyon and Yuki to to get together. Going to an isolated cabin makes me wonder if another mystery is going to pop up, but probably not.

Cornbread78

DanMachi 07
Great episode, Bell's finally growing up and he is getting help from his idol, lol. Poor Hestia getting left behind more and more.... I called that one since ep.1, poor goddess. Hestia is still the best! This show is a lot of fun and really good all the way around.

Nisekoi S2 ep.7:
It's ok, the best girl won this one! It's bee awhile since she's gotten any screen time, but she nailed it! Chitoge still needs to grow up, but she is at least human at this point.

TheRancor

Animator Expo 22 - Ibuseki Yoruni

It's one of those shorts that would have benefited from a longer run time but still an interesting narrative of a collapsed society with distinct Hiramatsu designs and nice background art.

Masamichi Amano also gets co-credit with Shiro Sagisu for their version of Auld Lang Syne!
QE8aN0P.png

I like how it's sideways in english

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders - 43

What an episode, non stop intensity. The music was pretty relentless as well with some great tracks.

phaze

Now, I never said budget wasn't important, just that it can be blown out of proportion. Allocation of budget does obviously occur, Space Dandy's trial episode for instance is an example of that, so that they could blow money on the finale. However, when there is good looking scene, some people tend to sometimes scream budget like some kind of soulless quantifier that automatically makes things look better when it's usually evidenced some notable key animator was responsible or a good storyboarder. Not the best example but most of Fate/Zero or Fate/Stay Night's best looking animation is arguably by Nozomu Abe, who is quite talented and not because he was given a lot of money.

Most production woes and ugliness are due to rushed schedules or perhaps bad management, so while obviously you need money to not have a ton of stills, it's usually not the biggest problem for studios especially when we know staff get paid peanuts for work. If a key animator and animation director list for an episode is relatively small, that's usually a good sign because they didn't hire tons of people to help meet the dead line, this is the case of a lot of KyoAni shows in general which have excellent scheduling while the opposite of that would be the infamous Attack on Titan. A-1 Pictures for instance is a studio that have bad schedules from time to time that catch up to them, see things like Magi S1 (Our in-between frames from China were late!), Nanatsu no Taizai, Kaito Kid etc. Even when they do manage to hold it together like Your Lie in April look at this comparison with Sound! Euphonium in the number of animators for a performance episode.

There is also the consideration of Blu-ray corrections, if they didn't have enough money in the first place, why would they bother correcting things? See Wizard Barristers for a particularly nasty one.

In the case of your examples. SS: Omega, I imagine it is also due to being Toei-d, their workforce and talent are stretched really thin as they have ton of shows on their plate. A recent Toei business report states that revenue went up when they increased the number of shows being produced, so that says something about their production ethic I think.

It's true Denno Coil has the benefit of large budget but it also had gobs of serious talent that Iso recruited for the show probably with the help of personal connections and for being a renown animator. It also took a long time for Iso to create/plan the show for what it's worth.

And likewise I'm certainly not going to argue that scheduling doesn't matter. I think we just maybe disagree on the degree of importance of either of the two.

The Blue-Ray corrections are certainly a valid argument and something I did not pay much attention to.

But if you are going to use the chart for your argument, how about we take a look at some of these big budget shows shall we. Gundam SEED DESTINY cost a ton per episode, one of the most expensive anime productions to date. Yet the show is a mess, plagued with an unbelievable amount of reused animation and just a lot of general design uglyness, Hisashi Hirai character designs anyone? Overall it was a rather average production. A lot of it is also attributed poor planning by the director Fukuda who wanted to have spectacular stock footage to reuse so a lot of time and effort went into that to the detriment of everything else. Then there is Morosawa his wife the scriptwriter who had cancer during SEED which caused delays with the scripts and continued to do so in DESTINY. He refused to replace her and there were a ton of complaints. Lots of recap episodes because late scripts don't allow for the animation to finish hence causing shit scheduling.

There is also Samurai 7, pretty big budget, should look good right? Unfortunately the studio was Gonzo and the show has never been noted as a particularly good looking production with lots of seemingly dated CG. There are some exceptions like Hisashi Mori's half of episode 7 and maybe some backgrounds since Hiromasa Ogura was art director.

On the other hand whether you like the show or not Gurren Lagann looks far better than both with a much lower budget and a lot of good animation.

So to sum up, budget's obviously a factor since the resources you have in a project depend on how much money you've got, but the real limiting factor in TV anime is time. Cheap projects have a tendency to be rushed as well but given the skill and time those can also be well produced. Having a good schedule makes a lot of difference.

Haven't seen Seed or Samurai 7 so can't comment but I obviously agree that budget is not an end to all.

I think XX said that Gurren Lagann costs are undereported in that chart because they repeatedly went over the budget.

I disagree, I think NGE looks great, with interesting scene composition, good layouts, cool imagery and some of the best mechanical animators of the era worked on the show, even everyone's favorite action animator Yutapon has a scene. The first episode is a fine example of efficiency with only 700 animation frames yet it looks better than a lot of other shows. The budget hits affect the last quarter of the show most I believe but I cannot accept the idea NGE looked bad. It looks good despite its limitations with very efficient budget management.

Shit is an exaggeration but even not taking the last two episodes into count, I remember not being very impressed. The few great but short sequences from Nakamura, Iso and others don't change the overall picture. Bebop and Escaflowne from the similar period were much better. (Though I think I remember badmouthing the latter a bit too. ;p)

Cornbread78

$hit, I've totally hit a wall on what to watch next.... It's like choosing a game to play in my backlog.... $hit, $hit, $hit.. I hate this.

- Chobits
- Air
- Honey and Clover
- Little Busters
- Love Lab

Uggh, who knows...

TheRancor

And likewise I'm certainly not going to argue that scheduling doesn't matter. I think we just maybe disagree on the degree of importance of either of the two.

The Blue-Ray corrections are certainly a valid argument and something I did not pay much attention to.

Haven't seen Seed or Samurai 7 so can't comment but I obviously agree that budget is not an end to all.

I think XX said that Gurren Lagann costs are undereported in that chart because they repeatedly went over the budget.
Staff themselves have actually complained (Takahiro Shikama and some directors on Rolling Girls) or apologized (Psycho Pass director) for shit schedule messing up production, don't think either had a low budget being a concern. But I'll just leave it at that, as long as people learn a thing or two.

Shit is an exaggeration but even not taking the last two episodes into count, I remember not being very impressed. The few great but short sequences from Nakamura, Iso and others don't change the overall picture. Bebop and Escaflowne from the similar period were much better. (Though I think I remember badmouthing the latter a bit too. ;p)
If it's been a while, I think rewatching things with newfound knowledge and appreciation can refresh your views on a show but if you weren't impressed back then, that's too bad.

Bebop and Escaflowne were pretty much from the same creative team. Bebop arguably looks better and according to the chart has a fairly lower budget which shows how they've progressed as a team. However the budget numbers might not be fully accurate as IIRC Bebop's production actually went over-budget and didn't make it to the scheduled season timeslot. Masahiko Minami (model of baseball producer in Shirobako), the producer of Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop, spent so much time and money, he wouldn't disclose it to anyone. :p

$hit, I've totally hit a wall on what to watch next.... It's like choosing a game to play in my backlog.... $hit, $hit, $hit.. I hate this.

- Chobits
- Air
- Honey and Clover
- Little Busters
- Love Lab

Uggh, who knows...

Depends on whether you want to laugh or cry. All of those have varying levels of comedy and drama.

Clov

Funimation just picked up Hosoda's new movie, the Boy and the Beast. Pretty expected, as they also have Summer Wars and Wolf Children. I think they'll be re-releasing The Girl Who Leapt Through Time at some point too.

Mature

A fruitless comparison. You don't determine if something is good or not by comparing it to the very best and nothing else.

I feel really silly having to make an argument for NGE being a good looking show, so I'll just link this album dump of images I grabbed from across the series when I watched it a few years back.

Jex

Neon Genesis Evangelion is an extremely good lucking show which is one of the reasons I am so excited by the upcoming BD release.

Now, that's not the same as saying it's a very well animated show because, clearly, that isn't the case. However, a work is not aesthetically pleasing simply because it has fluid animation - such an argument makes no sense.

Puruzi

Banned
Ojamajo Doremi Sharp 1
Those new outfits and porons are pretty cool. I also like the clapping transformation a whole lot too. The baby is totally adorable, and I guess Onpu is a part of the group now. At least she isn't doing that forbidden magic anymore.

Mature

Neon Genesis Evangelion is an extremely good lucking show which is one of the reasons I am so excited by the upcoming BD release.

Now, that's not the same as saying it's a very well animated show because, clearly, that isn't the case. However, a work is not aesthetically pleasing simply because it has fluid animation - such an argument makes no sense.
But it's not as if NGE even has poor animation. It's limited and stunted in spots, but on the whole it's still entirely serviceable and solid.

Angry Grimace

Shokugeki no Soma 7

I find it hilarious when this series takes normal cooking techniques like deglazing a pan and makes them sound like they're super crazy secret moves.

Theonik

Arguably yes. It very cleverly disguises it's lower budget and is generally a visually interesting show in most places where it didn't fall completely apart.
Though I suppose there is also a question there about whether an anime with subpar animation can be classified as looking good.

This is kayos saying Guilty Crown looked better than NGE all over again.
They captured the butt animation quite well in GC

Puruzi

Banned
Arguably yes. It very cleverly disguises it's lower budget and is generally a visually interesting show in most places where it didn't fall completely apart.
Though I suppose there is also a question there about whether an anime with subpar animation can be classified as looking good.

They captured the butt animation quite well in GC
If I like an artstyle then the anime looks good imo, but good animation always helps.

Cornbread78

DanMachi 07
Which makes me wonder how many side jobs Hestia's going to take up to keep her Familia running.

What is Bell doing with all the money he's been making anyway? He can't even buy Hestia some decent cloths yet? What about fixing up their home? Something is off here... Poor Hestia is getting screwed here.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nagato Yuki is turning out to be a really fun slice of life shoujo. It moves along fairly briskly, and the reframed cast of characters is really starting to fall into its groove. I don't imagine that the show will get to "the event", which is perfectly fine by me.

Yahari Season 2 ep 7
The Yukino scene was really well done in my opinion. Kudos to feel for animating that well. So many preach it at the end made my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom