• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The villain guy in Blood Blockade Battlefront sounds incredible.
Josh Grelle knocked it out so hard.

Femt always reminded me of Joker, so for the English voice actor to fit that role well is very nice.

Probably why i've dropped this show

Dropping a show because it doesn't have a overall main villain, hmmmmm that's a first for me.

I really wonder if some people just dislike episodic shows. I mean some of my favorite shows are episodic.

Kurokan Episode 12
CFAraquVEAE9p2V.jpg

Wow Kuro is such a harsh coach. But at least the team actually changed.

Femt always reminded me of Joker, so for the English voice actor to fit that role well is very nice.

I really wonder if some people just dislike episodic shows. I mean some of my favorite shows are episodic.

Don't equate dropping this show because it isn't pulling off episodic content particularly well with people disliking episodic content. If you're gonna be episodic at the least be amazing at it or have arcs.

One of the few shows to get away with being episodic while still introducing characters that seemed important is Gintama, and it specifically gets away with it because it's hilarious, it's meant as a comedy with action (instead of action with comedy), and they always make fun of the shortcomings of the over-all plot and characters.

Dropping a show because it doesn't have a overall main villain, hmmmmm that's a first for me.

no i've dropped this show because the antagonist in the first episode disappeared , i've dropped it because , depsite the awesome visuals, the potential of the characters was wasted , IMO , AND because i was bored while watching the show.

Episodic is alright for me , you just need to make me intrested , BBB felt like a "all style , no depth" anime so i let it go.

Puruzi

Banned
no i've dropped this show because the antagonist in the first episode disappeared , i've dropped it because , depsite the awesome visuals, the potential of the characters was wasted , IMO , AND because i was bored while watching the show.

Episodic is alright for me , you just need to make me intrested , BBB felt like a "all style , no depth" anime so i let it go.
See, I knew I wasn't the only one who found it boring

sonicmj1

I've been meaning to do some more detailed writeups, but that impulse has stopped me from writing anything. So I'll do some crappy ones instead.

Blood Blockade Battlefront 5-6 (mostly 6)

People covered 5 in pretty good detail, so I just mean to concur. It was probably the best episode of the show to date, because this time all the plot points actually cohered around a larger theme. That made the already-existing strengths of the show hit even stronger. It was great watching Leo finally admit some part of his feelings for White in his kind of awkward way.

6 wasn't as good, hurried a bit as it was, but it still told a pretty touching tale. What struck me the most about this episode was how the violence was presented. To this point, most of the violence in BBB has been either very slapstick or very over-the-top (or both). Here, it's just blunt force wielded by normal people, but it feels much more disquieting than anything that's happened before. Part of it is the repetition, but it's also sometimes how it's shown. Leo getting hit from behind felt particularly savage, with the quick camera zoom before impact really emphasizing the force of the blow.

It's crazy to think that White and Black are anime-original characters. If they weren't there, what would this show even be?

Sound! Euphonium 6

Also the best episode of the show to date. Hazuki's struggles cleanly set up all sorts of great jokes and interactions between the members of the bass section, and the moment where they play "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" together fits great as a payoff. The show's musical performances have all been excellent, both in terms of how they sound (always appropriate to the level of the characters playing the piece) and in how they connect with the narrative. When you hear how the "boring" part Hazuki played earlier fleshes out the sound of the song, you feel the same sort of discovery she did.

I'd also like to thank Thoraxes for his posts about this show so far. As a percussionist in a slacker high school band, I appreciate some of the culture here, but a lot of the attention to detail in the show goes beyond my knowledge. I can feel that they're getting a lot right, but it's even better to see just how much they're achieving.

Teekyu

This is more Teekyu. I feel like they've definitely gotten better at it since they started. A good use of four minutes each week.

Ninja Slayer 3-5

This show is getting weirdly consistent with its production. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm just glad I'm watching this through Viewster.

i8qnhk8WbAO19.jpg

madp

The Light of El Cantare
biggest bummer about Kekkai Sensen so far is def. that Femt was the most charismatic character and biggest outlet for Matsumoto's favorite visual choices only to disappear after the first episode. Then again, basically nothing that was supposedly important in episode one has any relevance at this point.

See, I knew I wasn't the only one who found it boring

I think an issue is that they keep focusing on a wimpy character who hasn't had any use outside of being the newbie to introduce the audience to the world, and getting his ass beaten/kidnapped to showcase the powers of everybody else.

The most recent episode tried its hardest to tug at my heartstrings, but the entire time I was thinking "so when is he going to run around screaming or get himself kidnapped?"

And next episode looks like I won't care too much about.

Don't equate dropping this show because it isn't pulling off episodic content particularly well with people disliking episodic content. If you're gonna be episodic at the least be amazing at it or have arcs.

One of the few shows to get away with being episodic while still introducing characters that seemed important is Gintama, and it specifically gets away with it because it's hilarious, it's meant as a comedy with action (instead of action with comedy), and they always make fun of the shortcomings of the over-all plot and characters.

As much as I love Gintama I don't think it's fair to compare considering it has 200+ episodes to develop and even then the first 20 or so episodes weren't as good as the later episodes. As for Kekkai I should of been more specific but I guess some people dislike the nonlinear storytelling it provides. Now I do see some faults such as not giving enough character development to the whole cast but that issue has to do with the episode count and the huge cast. I feel Kekkai is actually doing really great with its episodic narrative and how it's actually using the anime original content really well making it seem as if it's from the manga.

Although I disagree with everything you've said, I still respect your opinion because not everything will be the same for people. Still the boring part is something I don't understand.

As much as I love Gintama I don't think it's fair to compare considering it has 200+ episodes to develop and even then the first 20 or so episodes weren't as good as the later episodes. As for Kekkai I should of been more specific but I guess some people dislike the nonlinear storytelling it provides. Now I do see some faults such as not giving enough character development to the whole cast but that issue has to do with the episode count and the huge cast. I feel Kekkai is actually doing really great with its episodic narrative and how it's actually using the anime original content really well making it seem as if it's from the manga.

Gintama had a solid manga behind it too. BBB is apparently a generic manga that is trying to be saved by a studio.

Crocodile

Punchline 6

Now THERE'S the Uchikoshi I know.

Mayhaps this deserves a thread now (maybe even informing gaming side of it).

I would argue against it. I've fallen behind on this show so I dunno if this episode 6 is really as mind-blowing as everybody says it is and makes the show stand out but "panties" and "Anime was a mistake" are going to dominate the conversation for any OT thread for that show. Let it be.

I would argue against it. I've fallen behind on this show so I dunno if this episode 6 is really as mind-blowing as everybody says it is and makes the show stand out but "panties" and "Anime was a mistake" are going to dominate the conversation for any OT thread for that show. Let it be.

Pretty much. Unless you want to see that .gif 100 times (I don't) then let's not. It's not super amazing or mind blowing or anything either.

Gintama had a solid manga behind it too. BBB is apparently a generic manga that is trying to be saved by a studio.

Actually the manga is far from generic after reading a few Vols. The series definitely knows what it's doing and that's developing its World and creating enjoyable characters. Plus the Author is Nightow who wrote Trigun and he's definitely a good Mangaka. So yeah the manga doesn't need to be saved by the studio because it's actually good. The slice of life is definitely where the series is best at.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 23

Wow they really made the crowds feel everything and poor Yusei with those tentacles...

Are you enjoying 5Ds so far?

To an extent, I actually look forward to that. Not in a trolling Ryuukan way, but in the sense that people will be reluctant to try it and when they actually do (particularly the hardcore Zero Escape fans), they'll try to convince others to do the same. Same sense of satisfaction you get from getting a bunch of people saying "what is this moe garbage?" into Madoka and other stuff that isn't what it seems.

Just fun to see a series win someone over rather than the concept/early stages of something. Hell, 999 was pretty much the same way with many people calling their first playthroughs boring and/or not really getting visual novels.

In life imitating art news, the 7th and 8th Blu-ray/DVD volumes for Shirobako are delayed a month according to retailer listings. The official site has not been updated. The discs are published by Warner Brothers Home Entertainment and distributed by Warner Entertainment Japan (basically the same thing as Aniplex publishing video discs distributed by Sony Entertainment Japan).

Midonin

I'm mostly disappointed because that means a delay in seeing the Aerial Girls OVA so I can pick it apart/do some more AU NeoGAF Roleplay.

Puruzi

Banned
Ojamajo Doremi End

Good lord what a downer of an ending. I know there are more seasons after so something else has to happen, but if I was a kid watching this as it came out I would probably have felt really sad.
Great that Onpu didn't have to be in a coma for 100 years because jesus christ that would have been too much

Actually the manga is far from generic after reading a few Vols. The series definitely knows what it's doing and that's developing its World and creating enjoyable characters. Plus the Author is Nightow who wrote Trigun and he's definitely a good Mangaka. So yeah the manga doesn't need to be saved by the studio because it's actually good. The slice of life is definitely where the series is best at.

Are you enjoying 5Ds so far?

2nd or 3rd best YGO after ARC-V for me. Its just way serious while zexal and arcv were more focused on being entertaining.

Defuser

Punchline ep 6

What the fuck am I watching? My god, what a damn twist that was and I ain't talking about that steins-gatesque end.

cajunator

Banned
Etotama 3

What the fuck. Am I getting Madoka'd again???

Uri taaaaaaan
;_;

Also, not sure how I feel about CG chibi bouncy boobs. Cow-tan was pretty egregious last episode but her english made it really funny.

Yeah I know. It still makes me laugh lol

Nah. Etottama is nothingl ike that at all. That episode was pretty rough though.

DEATH™

Danna Ga Nani Season 2 Ep. 7

Those last lines kind of raising bad flags... They are happy right now but I can't help seeing Hajime being pessimistic about this. It feels like he's expecting something bad to happen along the way...

Then I read the reddit reaction thread and someone brought up a possible miscarriage...

Please no!!!

P.S. There's a spinoff manga of Danna ga Nani about Nozomu and Rino.

cajunator

Banned
In life imitating art news, the 7th and 8th Blu-ray/DVD volumes for Shirobako are delayed a month according to retailer listings. The official site has not been updated. The discs are published by Warner Brothers Home Entertainment and distributed by Warner Entertainment Japan (basically the same thing as Aniplex publishing video discs distributed by Sony Entertainment Japan).

It must really suck being in Japan and watching a show 2 episodes at a time like that. Its bad enough with 4 volume installments or even just a two part.
That plus I wonder how sustainable this market model will be in the future as Japan ages.

Sabagebu! 1-2

qiN89Nk.gif

She got to be one of my favorite main heroine.

Yeah Momoka is great. she literally doesnt give a damn about anything. But not in a villainous way somehow.

Cornbread78

Sabagebu! 1-2
qiN89Nk.gif

She got to be one of my favorite main heroine.

Lol, yes, I just started watching this one today as well, so funny! I'm going to watch the last few episodes little by little for comic relief breaks during some if the emotional and/or slice if life stuff I've been watching, lol. More gifs on the prior page!

Punchline Speculation

So after recent revelations, is it possible that
Yuuta is actually Chiyoko, the girl from Mikatan's flashback?

Who the hell knows, but I just watched 4-6 and dammit, it is VLR! Holy crap.. I can't believe
Yuuta is a girl? No friggen way that Meiko is right about that one..

cajunator

Banned
Lol, yes, I just started watching this one today as well, so funny! I'm going to watch the last few episodes little by little for comic relief breaks during some if the emotional and/or slice if life stuff I've been watching, lol. More gifs on the prior page!

Who the hell knows, but I just watched 4-6 and dammit, it is VLR! Holy crap.. I can't believe
Yuuta is a girl? No friggen way that Meiko is right about that one..

Watch Binbougami Ga next. you will absolutely love it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfQjFgsrUVs

Link Man

Banned
I realize I skipped episode 3 impressions, but there really wasn't a whole lot to talk about in that episode.

Kanon 4

"When was it that dreams started to have no end?" Very ominous, given the theme of memory loss lately.

Cute childhood scene.

Makotrolled.

ibn4j321mGHmAq.jpg

This can't be good.

Hmm, Miss Akiko seems to know of Ayu. The mystery deepens.

And auu meets uguu. This can only lead to the best of conversations!

"Uguu!"

"auu..."

"uguu..."

And once more with knight girl. Who, according to the preview, is a demon hunter. What genre is this, again?

So far, a really cutesy show, but with an unsettling undertone. Kind of reminds me of Higurashi When The Cry, although I doubt it will get to those levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom