• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Cross ange 05

Took a bit of a hiatus since it was getting pretty stupid and I needed some sleep.

So this was one of those episodes where the protagonist gets separated from the fray and is rescued by someone, and falls in love, etc terrible writing cliches.
Apparently its perfectly ok to be a terrible pervert lecher and molest unconscious girls, as long as youre also a helpful nice guy. THAT MAKES IT OKAY.
Somehow they also managed to
fix Ange's broken Para Mail in record time
. How convenient.
How long was she stuck down there anyway?
This episode wasnt as ridiculous at least.
Im sure it is about to go full on stupid so Im kind of excited.

Well, it is just ramping up. The story actuually settles down and starts making sense soon enough, but yeah, he is a good character, as well as another that is coming soon.

Well, they had the
drugged queens spitting out babies of their own, and they abducted all the other babies from the hospital as well, so they drugged Momo and Maria mated them and took the baby?...
uugghh

We know the Squeerats send the council something of Mamo and Maria that would seemingly proof their death, so the council wouldn't seek for them any longer. So they most likely send them bones from something like their limbs or even their back or so. Something that would mean certain death for someone out in the wildness...not for someone who got it surgically removed and taken care of though. Which is what Squeeler did before (maybe after...doesn't really matter) then forcing them into coitus. Since the child was of utmost importance for Squeeler I'm not sure when he got rid of Mamo and Maria but I'd say he let them live on for a while after birth, until he was certain the child would survive and grow up to fulfill his plan. Who knows, maybe he never actually killed them at all. He did however separate the child from them early on, perhaps immediately after birth. So that it wouldn't have any recollection of another human being and, worse, making the connection of being one itself. That was important so the genetically inherited death-feedback wouldn't set in when it kills humans, as that death-feedbacks triggers when the person assumes he kills own of his own kind.

So, while it's hard to tell what exactly became off Maria and Mamorou, their fate was a severely fucked up one either way :(

Cornbread78

Bakemonogatari Ep.1

Ok, I'm sure I'll figure this one out soon, but yeah, tough to read subtitles on thsi one since the text flys by so quick.... you we're kidding about it being dialog heavy. So far the humor is dry, like something from Monty Python's, lol.

phaze

If they can only get to chapter 115 it will be AOTS.

Bakemonogatari Ep.1

Ok, I'm sure I'll figure this one out soon, but yeah, tough to read subtitles on thsi one since the text flys by so quick.... you we're kidding about it being dialog heavy. So far the humor is dry, like something from Monty Python's, lol.

Just FYI, I did really mean it, 90 % of this show is people throwing lines at each other. If you're not enjoying it after 3 eps then abort. The action, while great, appears like 3 times during this season. It is also a part of a bigger franchise with like 40 more episodes so it's a pretty substantial time commitment if you want to watch all there is to it. And like Log Horizon, it's still unfinished.

Midonin

Man I feel like all Crunchy has this season is second seasons of their old shows.
I think they'll get Re-Kan, at least. TBS shows usually end up with them. The other shows I need to know about up until this weekend are DanMachi and Nanoha Vivid. Maybe those will go to CR?

cajunator

Banned
Bakemonogatari Ep.1

Nisioisin is well known for his very dialogue heavy writing. Sometimes I have to pause an episode and read through the text actually, in order to understand.

Ghost in the Shell (1995):

That was pretty good. Whole film I thought that this feels little like the Matrix and then after film read that The Matrix was heavily influeced by the Ghost in the Shell. No wonder then.

Nisioisin is well known for his very dialogue heavy writing. Sometimes I have to pause an episode and read through the text actually, in order to understand.

Everyone has to pause if they want to read those fucking quickly flashing texts that you kinda don't want to miss out on.

Jex

It's more like a response to the original that goes beyond it imo rather than covering the same ground, like a thematic sequel that finds our protagonists right back where they started again. Only, Utena and Anthy have switched roles - note that this time Anthy saves Utena and herself - and having been dealt with already Akio is almost entirely out of the picture, a figment from the past just like the idea of "the prince." It's about moving past childhood, finally, and braving the world of adults - or making your own where those who came before have failed.
Everyone is a car, man, you just gotta go with it.
Speaking of Utena, it looks like Shirobako actually helped with an understanding of where Miki's stopwatch came from. Basically, animators use those kinds of stopwatches to help them work out how long an action will take so they know how many frames it will include etc.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Dennou Coil, Kaiba, Toward the Terra, and From the New World come to mind if what you're looking for is essentially speculative fiction without the overt focus on robots and spaceships. Ergo Proxy, Jyu Oh Sei, and Aria, if you stretch back a tad bit more. You're right that what science fiction there is is oversaturated by mechs, but the greater problem is that the genre is underserved by anime in general. I don't even really feel like there are all that many space operas out there; maybe one every couple of years, probably released with less frequency than anime interpretations of the life of Oda Nobunaga.

I read from The New World, was interesting. Dennou Coil is one of my favorite series, and I enjoyed Ergo Proxy when I watched so long ago.

I want to watch Kaiba, as the premise seems interesting but the art is so off putting to me for some reason.

Haven't checked out Aria, Toward the Terra or Jyu Oh Sei.

Speaking of Utena, it looks like Shirobako actually helped with an understanding of where Miki's stopwatch came from. Basically, animators use those kinds of stopwatches to help them work out how long an action will take so they know how many frames it will include etc.

I learned that when watching The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness. Guess Shirobako actually explains it though?

e_i

Ongaku Shoujo

Very cute. And over active blond girl drags a shy girl into singing? Where have have I seen this before?

And, don't fuck with this cat:
ytAi4bt.png

Cornbread78

If they can only get to chapter 115 it will be AOTS.

Just FYI, I did really mean it, 90 % of this show is people throwing lines at each other. If you're not enjoying it after 3 eps then abort. The action, while great, appears like 3 times during this season. It is also a part of a bigger franchise with like 40 more episodes so it's a pretty substantial time commitment if you want to watch all there is to it. And like Log Horizon, it's still unfinished.

Everyone has to pause if they want to read those fucking quickly flashing texts that you kinda don't want to miss out on.

I was able to follow the text of Ep. , which was interesting, but we'll see where it goes from here.

After this, is there another Anime out there like I mentioned earlier that carries you along a reat adventure, like the first part of SAO, Log Horrizon or Yona?

After this, is there another Anime out there like I mentioned earlier that carries you along a reat adventure, like the first part of SAO, Log Horrizon or Yona?

I think you might enjoy Btooom!, the premise is kinda similar to SAO. Though be aware that the story is not finished and it seems unlikely that there'll be any additional seasons.

sonicmj1

I was able to follow the text of Ep. , which was interesting, but we'll see where it goes from here.

They're older series, but I think you'd like some of Bones' best shows, namely the Full Metal Alchemist adaptations (each is good) and Eureka Seven. They're adventures with big scope, lots of great characters, awesome action, and even some romance.

I don't know what is or isn't on Crunchyroll, but I know FMA is on Netflix.

Jex

They're older series, but I think you'd like some of Bones' best shows, namely the Full Metal Alchemist adaptations (each is good) and Eureka Seven. They're adventures with big scope, lots of great characters, awesome action, and even some romance.

I don't know what is or isn't on Crunchyroll, but I know FMA is on Netflix.

sonicmj1, you're supposed to pick a side, dammit. What's with this cold, unfeeling heart of neutrality?

/XX/

Some time ago I remember reading an anecdote about how Kyoto Animation's Yoshiji Kigami has at times not have prepared the fulfilled time-sheets (doing the timing for his supervised key animation and counting the resulting amount of sheets-per-cut) for the in-betweeners, so these didn't have indications about the number of animation frames they had to make! Anyone knows the exact source of this information? Or did I imagine it?

Midonin

I'd love to watch the Utena movie with commentary, but I was using the YouTube stream for this - and for the entire series. The boxes are still a bit out of my price range, much as I'd love to own them, even moreso now that I've seen the show. It's one of those anime I'll remember.

Nadesico - Prince of Darkness

I understand the desire for a movie, especially of a completed TV series, to capitalize on more of what the fans want to see, and to tell a story bigger in scope - emotional, dramatic or otherwise - than the small, slow burn that a TV series provides. Ruri was a fun character in the original series, but she lost her sarcasm here, and being made the main character of the movie, while certainly a good concept, didn't quite capture the same energy as the TV show.

Everyone else was largely on point - Yukina, Izumi and company, and so on - but without Akito and Yurika providing a central focus to everything, it feels kinda off.
Not to mention brainwashing him and having him lose his sense of taste. That seems cruel. Suffering can build a character, but Yurika comes out of this largely alright while he just flies off into the distance.
The central conceit of the movie - about the Jovians trying to reclaim their glory - has potential, but the movie needed a little more Gekigangar in it, in the sense of how much that anime was a part of the series' identity.

I'm not going to say it's the worst thing I've seen - my standards are fairly relaxed with everything - and presenting a different take on a series isn't a bad thing either. It had all the right pieces, it just needed a spark, a bit more energy to it. Which was present in, say, the scenes where Ruri was recruiting everybody back, but not quite as much in the parts where the story was moving forward.

It was alright. All that's left is the Cyberteam movie, the only one of these that was never released stateside.

sonicmj1

sonicmj1, you're supposed to pick a side, dammit. What's with this cold, unfeeling heart of neutrality?

I haven't seen Brotherhood, but I'm sure it's shitty compared to the older one I hear great things about it from some people, so I don't want to pass judgment.

Veitsev

Saekano 0

I can't handle all this meta.

This was about as poor as I expected. My curiosity is sated.

It gets a lot better and is a lot of fun with some pretty well done dramatic moments. The huge level of fanservice in episode 0 is not really representative of the series as a whole. Its like they chose to give you a fanservice OVA right at the start.

ibyea

Banned
Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World): EP.21-End

Wow, what a ride through this one. By the end, you could start seeing where it was going, but they never did explain the whole
Maria's child
and how that came about, did they?

This was a strange one from start to finish with a crazy last few episodes. The ending was
strangely happy and serene
though, which made me happy.

I always thought the ending had more of a bittersweet vibe to it. Can't exactly call it a happy ending when not much has changed. I liked the ending, though, and it tries to look forward to the future in which perhaps things will change. Although I thought that
the rats having human DNA was a cop out, as if not having human DNA would have given them less of a right to live.

Kikirin

Alright, well my list is empty again GAF..

Looking for recs for an Anime on Crunchyroll with some adventure/action, love/lust, and a good story funny stuff with any of that would work too (mature stuff preferably, already did the magic girl thing,lol)

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, maybe? Romance and comedy, with a splash of horror / mystery / supernatural. Decent story, but probably not the shounen action you might be looking for.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Well, they had the
drugged queens spitting out babies of their own, and they abducted all the other babies from the hospital as well, so they drugged Momo and Maria mated them and took the baby?...
uugghh

Alright, well my list is empty again GAF..

Looking for recs for an Anime on Crunchyroll with some adventure/action, love/lust, and a good story funny stuff with any of that would work too (mature stuff preferably, already did the magic girl thing,lol)

No, you must submit to the power of Ange's beauty.
If you haven't seen Tsuritama or Motherfucking Gurren Lagann, now is a good time.

cajunator

Banned
Ongaku Shoujo

Very cute. And over active blond girl drags a shy girl into singing? Where have have I seen this before?

And, don't fuck with this cat:
ytAi4bt.png

So colorful *_*
Relevant to my interests

Several older shows I could recommend but Id have to look on Crunchyroll to see what all they have.

[Mouretsu Pirate: Abyss of Hyperspace]

I didn't know I missed this so much. ;)
I didn't remember Mami was voiced by Chiaki Omigawa, that was a nice surprise.
The movie just left me wanting more!

The art looks a bit different. Not sure if want :/

I always thought the ending had more of a bittersweet vibe to it. Can't exactly call it a happy ending when not much has changed. I liked the ending, though, and it tries to look forward to the future in which perhaps things will change. Although I thought that
the rats having human DNA was a cop out, as if not having human DNA would have given them less of a right to live.
*Shin Sekai Yori / From the New World Spoilers*
For me it felt like the final puzzle piece of the world finally coming into place. It served its purpose in explaining where the non-telekinetic humans ended up and it felt much more likely that the clearly intelligent race of beings were actually human rather than a completely separate species evolving both physiologically and culturally to that advanced point in the span of a couple thousand years. Though I guess with all the weird creatures that ended up existing that it couldn't have been impossible when all was said and done. I think if it wanted to explore the notion of non-human intelligences that they would have gone more out of their way to differentiate the rats from just being medieval humans with non-traditional reproduction

ibyea

Banned
*Shin Sekai Yori / From the New World Spoilers*
For me it felt like the final puzzle piece of the world finally coming into place. It served its purpose in explaining where the non-telekinetic humans ended up and it felt much more likely that the clearly intelligent race of beings were actually human rather than a completely separate species evolving both physiologically and culturally to that advanced point in the span of a couple thousand years. Though I guess with all the weird creatures that ended up existing that it couldn't have been impossible when all was said and done. I think if it wanted to explore the notion of non-human intelligences that they would have gone more out of their way to differentiate the rats from just being medieval humans with non-traditional reproduction

I thought the cultural advancement had more to do with human contact. And the alternative reproduction certainly sets them apart very far from human. Some other creatures evolving like that in the span of thousands of years is not that much of a stretch in comparison to humans transforming their physiology like that. At the same time I see your point that it does complete the picture.

cajunator

Banned
I thought the cultural advancement had more to do with human contact. And the alternative reproduction certainly sets them apart very far from human. Some other creatures evolving like that in the span of thousands of years is not that much of a stretch in comparison to humans transforming their physiology like that. At the same time I see your point that it does complete the picture.

The whole thing was super creepy, especially the end reveal. Man just so unsettling.

e_i

Yessssssssss

I ordered the combo set. no regrets!

I only ordered Yuki Yuna. I couldn't justify buying Denki-ga, and April-June is going to be murder on my wallet. Aniplex releases this month, DtB next month, and then YYY volume 2 in June along with A Lull in the Sea.

I have the Noir Blu-ray waiting at home for me.

Jex

[Parol's Future Island]

While this isn't a perfect short due to some wonky stuff with the main villain it it lots of fun. The designs, character animation and background art is top notch.

cajunator

Banned
I only ordered Yuki Yuna. I couldn't justify buying Denki-ga, and April-June is going to be murder on my wallet. Aniplex releases this month, DtB next month, and then YYY volume 2 in June along with A Lull in the Sea.

I have the Noir Blu-ray waiting at home for me.

I fell so in love with Denki Gai. What a cute series.
Also enjoy Noir! I love that one. classic Bee TRain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom