• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross Ange feels like one of Sunrise's most furiously rewritten shows and that's coming from a studio notorious for rewriting shows half-way through. I’ve got some fairly extensive thoughts on what I personally believe to be signs of script changes, but before I get to some of my more elaborate theories I’m first going to highlight some incidents which clearly show the writers changing their minds.

Wow I was literally just talking about Cross Ange megaposts and here we go.

Conan-san

There were people who watched Cross Ange after the Baby Box (to say nothing of the Prison Buggering)?

Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ on a Bike.

Jex

What I've learned by going back over Cross Ange to write about it is how little attention I paid to any aspect of the plot.

Another thing worth noting that is while the show has a handful of fairly extreme scenes much of the series is fairly tame fluff. While episode 1 is fairly packed with nutty moments the rest of the series really isn't that crazy.

What I've learned by going back over Cross Ange to write about it is how little attention I paid to any aspect of the plot.

Another thing worth noting that is while the show has a handful of fairly extreme scenes much of the series is fairly tame fluff. While episode 1 is fairly packed with nutty moments the rest of the series really isn't that crazy.

I think they needed some nasty hook so people would watch out of Schadenfreude or morbid curiosity, because you are right, the first episode is the worst of it.
And it worked quite well, really.

TUSR

Banned
So Trigger still has Trigger Girls listed on their site under "Works"

Im so conflicted that this might be real.

Quasar

Oh God, what have I done.

On another forum conned into a communal watch of Queens Blade. Somehow I'm both bored and in need of a brain scrubbing.

ibyea

Banned
Cross Ange feels like one of Sunrise's most furiously rewritten shows and that's coming from a studio notorious for rewriting shows half-way through. I’ve got some fairly extensive thoughts on what I personally believe to be signs of script changes, but before I get to some of my more elaborate theories I’m first going to highlight some incidents which clearly show the writers changing their minds.

*jaw drops* Holy cow at those examples.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So did nobody actually watch Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE

Was my favorite show last season. Some really great comedy and a nice twist on the genre.

So, let’s not beat around the bush. This series was clearly designed to appeal to fans of smutty yuri action nonsense. From the (nearly) all girl cast to the outfits to the copious amounts of lesbian sex and general nudity its pretty clear who this series was targeting. Based on how the show depicts the main characters it would seem that Ange’s main romantic interest was supposed to be Salamandinay.

She appears heavily in the OP for many episodes before her onscreen debut and has dominant screen space with Ange in both the OP and ED title cards. The characters seem to be similar in some respects, they have a certain rivalry and they both excel at similar things (such as piloting robots). In a show as simple as Cross Ange this basically means they are meant for each other. What really confirms this, though, is Sala’s introduction:

I don’t know if I can make this any clear than the show has. Across multiple universes and (apparently?) thousands of years Ange and Sala are shown to be rivals/friends/lovers. I mean, you can’t get really get a bigger sign that two people are ‘destined’ for each other. The show doesn’t hit you over the head with this as much as crack your skull open with an anvil. So these two are going to end up with each other by the end pleasing, I assume, everyone (both the staff and the audience).

Yet, for some reason, after her interactions with Ange on the other Earth Salamandinay becomes a complete and utter nothing character. She’s basically one of those people at the back of an action scene who occasionally shoots someone. She has no role in the plot or in Ange’s life. This makes no sense to me. I can only assume this has to do with the rise of Tusk.

I don’t think anyone likes Tusk. The intended audience of the show certainly don’t want to see him busting into their ‘Garden’ and the staff appear to crap all over him as well. He’s regularly humiliated on-screen and in terms of key art (such as the OP title card) he’s reduced to a tiny character at the back as if to say “ignore this asshole”. It really feels like he wasn’t supposed to be Ange’s main partner at the end of the series but instead he got forced into playing that role by exterior forces.

Well there was already this scene in first opening:
tusk_zps07npo6xj.png

Which is directly copied from SEEDs and Destinys openings

So I think Tusk was supposed to be Anges main romantic interest from the beginning to the end. Most of those other examples though. Damn.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
great show. I felt the controversies overshadowed the show (sales). Inaba best girl.

I seriously wonder if there are people out there who don't think she was the best girl. Its like the least debatable thing ever.

I thought the show was okay but its well worth watching just to listen to the greatest female voice ever... saying stuff.

(she is also like the #1 reason I will eventually watch HxH someday)

/XX/

Yūichirō "animesama" Oguro commented on Twitter that the next number of ANIMESTYLE Magazine might need a crowd-funding campaign too (https://twitter.com/animesama/status/583390701339049986).

Seeing the problems coming for a time, as the spacing between volume releases was getting longer and longer... it certainly showed the difficulties of publishing something so specifically focused on authors rather than just in products & publicity for IPs, yeah. I hope it doesn't happen the same than with the ceased-early first iteration of it from the year 2000, because I actually adore this one!

cajunator

Banned
I seriously wonder if there are people out there who don't think she was the best girl. Its like the least debatable thing ever.

I thought the show was okay but its well worth watching just to listen to the greatest female voice ever... saying stuff.

(she is also like the #1 reason I will eventually watch HxH someday)

There are those who will argue this.

Pooya

somebody spoil GBF Try for me and tell me whether something happened to the original characters or not plz. I'm never going to watch it.

Cornbread78

OMG, that breakdown, lol. There is no way I could have noticed half of that crap, lol. The show is "entertaining" and that's the best way to put it. The ending was rushed as you could tell they were trying to hard to tie everything up too quickly in the last couple episodes.

With that being said, I had fun watching the trainwreck and the rest Ning was better than some of the stuff I've seen. The only thing I would dispute would be that since
Embryo eliminated Mana, so essentially everyone was now on a level playing field. Actually, the last scenes were showing the base that still stood becoming the leaders of the new world and the old mana users struggling to survive.The riders both Dragon and Norma will definitely be the leaders of the new world

BTW, where is Ange'd Cafe with Tusk?

Narag

somebody spoil GBF Try for me and tell me whether something happened to the original characters or not plz. I'm never going to watch it.

Ral remains the spirit of gunpla, Kirara is a star in Hollywood, Nils runs Yajima Industries, Sei is spreading gunpla to the world, and Meijin Kawaguchi III is doing Meijin things.

As to anything actually happening with them? Well, that's what the inevitable S3 will bring.

If I say they were just mentioned they never really showed up but they showed the character.

Sei - Mentioned, half his face shown, married to China
Reiji - Mentioned
Aila - Shown and Mentioned
China - Shown and present
Nils - Shown and Present. Got married to Caroline.
Fellini - Nothing
Kirara - Shown and mentioned
Rinko - Nothing
Sei's Dad - Nothing
Mao - Nothing but they showed his master
Caroline - Mentioned

Really only Sei, China and Nils get anything. Meijin and Ral are main characters though.

Last episode spoiler -
Domon from G Gundam is shown

I expected way more then just Sei, China Nils and Meijin so S3 will probably bring a lot more.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Finished up GBF Try today and I enjoyed it as much as the first season. Although,
I was expecting Seiki to be related to Reiji somehow, or at least for Reiji to make an appearance. I also kept expecting to see a flash of Sei near the end for some reason.
Gundam Build Fighters may be my favorite gundam franchise...

Kurokan Episode 1
CBjPnsxWgAAAbL6.jpg

Well this way of animation makes baseball feel more fastpaced. I thought Daiya was fast and Oofuri more slow but all these different panels sliding in and out and then the camera constantly going in and out...hate the backgrounds, the crowds look like blobs :( and theres no songs or any school spirit going on.

Will keep watching since baseball animes be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom