• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Air had some incredible music throughout but the OP/ED really stood out.
Angel Beats is easily the best of all though. Incomparable.

No argument there. I love the music from Angel beats, so good. That was still probably my biggest surprise ending this year. I had no idea that was coming since I hadn't seen anyone talk about it here. I just saw the chick with teh gun, lol. Soo Good!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDSzGD8SBAk

You know, the whole time I watched that series, I was always left waiting for Angel to jump on stage and perform because of the opening visuals...

You know Little Busters is also a Key show, right? And Angel Beats, sort of.

And Key is a VN company, not an animation studio. KyoAni did Air, Kanon and Clannad. J.C.Staff did Little Buster and P.A.Works Angel Beats.

Seriously, I thought somene said here that is was just Cannon, Air and Clannad. Well, so far I've finished Kanon, Clannad and Angel Beats, so I just have Air and Little Busters left... battle of the feels...

Mabufu

Banned
I loved Clannad, liked Kanon, and droped Air because I had no idea of what the hell was going on, and droped Little Busters because I found it too childish and cliche and I couldnt believe the characters.

Seems like its VN was pretty good tho.

The worst thing about Clannad and Angel Beats is that from there, everything goes down.

Vito

Banned
Needs no comment

CFdVFL5UsAEXhtQ.jpg:orig

I loved Clannad, liked Kanon, and droped Air because I had no idea of what the hell was going on, and droped Little Busters because I found it too childish and cliche and I couldnt believe the characters.

Seems like its VN was pretty good tho.

The worst thing about Clannad and Angel Beats is that from there, everything goes down.

Eh. Kanon >= Clannad > Little Busters > Air movie > Air > Clannad movie > Angel Beats for me.

cajunator

Banned
No argument there. I love the music from Angel beats, so good. That was still probably my biggest surprise ending this year. I had no idea that was coming since I hadn't seen anyone talk about it here. I just saw the chick with teh gun, lol. Soo Good!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDSzGD8SBAk

You know, the whole time I watched that series, I was always left waiting for Angel to jump on stage and perform because of the opening visuals...

Sderiously, I thought somene said here that is was just Cannon, Air and Clannad. Well, so far I've finished Kanon, Clannad and Angel Beats, so I just have Air and Little Busters left... battle of the feels...

There is also the music by Girls Dead Monster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdPwvBJiQJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0S3e9K9Awo

Sterok

Magic Knight Rayearth 31-34

I miss when the heroes were awesome. When Fuu stood her ground and cut a desert monster in half. When Umi beat down Alcyone by herself. Now they just get smacked around, and it makes them feel weak. The Chizeta sisters are amusing at least. So the Pillar can't revive the dead, but it can pluck a convenient twin sister out of nowhere. Makes more sense. Hikaru got beaten up physically, and now she's under psychological attack. Rough times. I do like how Umi and Fuu got a bit of development with their Rune-Gods.

cajunator

Banned
Magic Knight Rayearth 31-34

I miss when the heroes were awesome. When Fuu stood her ground and cut a desert monster in half. When Umi beat down Alcyone by herself. Now they just get smacked around, and it makes them feel weak. The Chizeta sisters are amusing at least. So the Pillar can't revive the dead, but it can pluck a convenient twin sister out of nowhere. Makes more sense. Hikaru got beaten up physically, and now she's under psychological attack. Rough times. I do like how Umi and Fuu got a bit of development with their Rune-Gods.

I love these names in MKR.

You know Little Busters is also a Key show, right? And Angel Beats, sort of.

And Key is a VN company, not an animation studio. KyoAni did Air, Kanon and Clannad. J.C.Staff did Little Buster and P.A.Works Angel Beats.

Key projects:

Kanon:
2002: TV series by Toei Animation (animators), Movic, and Fuji TV (shown there and on Kansai TV)
2006-2007: TV series by TBS, which partnered with Pony Canyon, Movic, and Kyoto Animation (animators)

AIR:
2005: Movie by Toei Animation (animators) and Frontier Works
2005: TV series by TBS, partnered with Pony Canyon, Movic, and Kyoto Animation (animators)

Clannad:
2007: Movie by Toei Animation (animators) and Frontier Works
2007-2008: TV series by TBS, partnered with Pony Canyon, Movic, and Kyoto Animation (animators)
2008-2009: TV series by TBS, partnered with Pony Canyon, Movic, and Kyoto Animation (animators)

Angel Beats:
2010: TV series by Aniplex, which partnered with Ascii Media Works, Visual Arts (Key's parent company), PA Works (animators), Movic, Dentsu, MBS, and CBC (listed outside committee and had first airings)
(Later turned into game scheduled for 2015)

Little Busters:
2012: TV series by Warner Home Video, which partnered with Visual Arts, Bushiroad, and JC Staff (animators)
2013: TV series and OVAs by Warner Home Video, which partnered with Visual Arts, Bushiroad, Showgate, Klockworx, AT-X, and JC Staff (animators)

I'd say Gintama is easily the weakest. I find nothing about Gintama amusing or entertaining in the slightest.

TTGL suffers from the fact I have a deep seeded hate of super powered robots and power of friendship bullshit. Not to mention all the character in the show were immensely idiotic and the only one that curried any favor with me was Rossiu

G Gundam is fine if you view it as a comedy I suppose.

And Jojo is just bad. I actively detest Jojo with a passion.

Man, you sound like the life of the party!

Cornbread78

Alright guys getting some recs for my next romance (after I finish Air), so which from the below is good stuff; ya'll know I love 'em sappy by now, lol:

- Gokukoku no Brynhildr: Brynhildr in the Darkness
- Kimi no Iru Machi: A Town Where You Live
- Golden Time
- Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo: The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
- White Album 2
- Amagami SS

Oh wait Splatoon × Ika Musume become official?

https://twitter.com/pKjd/status/601006671872167936

Fuck

Yes

Alright guys getting some recs for my next romance (after I finish Air), so which from the below is good stuff; ya'll know I love 'em sappy by now, lol:

- Golden Time
- White Album 2
- Amagami SS

Nagi no Asukara if you havent watched it already.

DO NOT watch White Album 2 unless you hate yourself.

- Golden Time
- White Album 2
- Amagami SS

^^
A total mess , good premise , terrible execution. Abort

- Golden Time
^^
A genuine story in a setting that you won't see much in anime, that alone make it a watch , some aspect of the show aren't that bad , but there are moments were you'll be screaming in anger.

^^
Good show, but i was bored with it because of several characters that annoyed me to no end. You should be fine , however

- Amagami SS
^^
Amagami is a good show, just watch it and post your impressions every 4 episodes

cajunator

Banned

- Golden Time
- White Album 2
- Amagami SS

avoid Golden Time. Koko is the cutest thing ever but that show is aggravating to the highest degree.

Pet Girl is pretty cute.

Amagami is based off a dating sim VN I think. Its literally a short romantic story with each girl.

- Golden Time
- White Album 2
- Amagami SS

White Album 2 is a bit more grounded, but suffers from being the first half of a visual novel without the continuing portion. It's romance, but more dramatic filled.

Amagami SS is another visual novel adaptation, but one that chooses to adapt arcs in the form of a omnibus that resets the tale every 4 episodes. Essentially there's a new story each 4 episodes. There's a sequel that gives each arc an additional 2 episodes. (6 main arcs, 6 episodes total for each and 2 mini arcs with 1 getting 2 episodes and 1 getting 1).

Sakurasou is more a drama than a romance. It deals with the theme of hard work vs talent and how people come to grips with their flaws.

Also pointing out the romance in Tamako Love Story. Fantastic romance about a girl falling in love for the first time and coming to terms with her new feelings.

Jex

- Golden Time
- White Album 2
- Amagami SS
I recommend you watch Koi Kaze instead. That's a great romance anime.

(I'm deadly serious).

Amagami SS is one of the few romance animes that consistently made me happy. The show is divided in routes like a visual novel which allows a unique love story to happen based on the character focused on for that route. Every story is sweet in the end and it's cool seeing characters that would appear in the background during one arc get a lot more development in another due to being the center of attention.

Sakurasou is a really great show that definitely has romance in it, but is more about character drama. It deals with the hard themes of work in the arts community and talent vs. work. Despite this, the romance really does shine especially towards the end and is pretty damn satisfying for several characters.

Golden Time was made by the same people who made Toradora. It has a college setting, so the romantic aspect is tackled in a more mature and faster way. It has its weak parts but the end product is good.

White Album 2 is an intense ride. You'll hate the ending and might regret watching it but it's a very emotional and grounded look at love in general. The story is centered on a love triangle and it goes to some gut-wrenching, painful places. Still, I'd recommend it if you want a good drama.
-----------------

On the side, I'd also recommend ef: Tale of Memories. It's a truly dramatic show, and has some of the best animation I've seen in a product like this. The direction is really good especially at the most tense moments. The story is extremely heartwarming and really makes one feel good after the plot takes characters to some low places. If you want a romance anime that really goes all the way, I would highly recommend this show.

Cornbread78

I recommend you watch Koi Kaze instead. That's a great romance anime.
(I'm deadly serious).
Saeki Koushirou works as a wedding planner, but his own love life is a shambles. His background makes it difficult for him to commit himself wholeheartedly to love. The child of a divorced couple, he lives with his father. He has a mother and a sister, but he has not seen them in years. After being dumped by his girlfriend, a chance encounter with a female high school student shakes Koushirou's calm and awakens new feelings in him—but he learns that the girl is in fact his sister, who will now be staying with his father and him. Yet, the feelings in Koushirou's heart...

Wait, what?

White Album 2 is a bit more grounded, but suffers from being the first half of a visual novel without the continuing portion. It's romance, but more dramatic filled.

Amagami SS is another visual novel adaptation, but one that chooses to adapt arcs in the form of a omnibus that resets the tale every 4 episodes. Essentially there's a new story each 4 episodes. There's a sequel that gives each arc an additional 2 episodes. (6 main arcs, 6 episodes total for each and 2 mini arcs with 1 getting 2 episodes and 1 getting 1).
Sakurasou is more a drama than a romance. It deals with the theme of hard work vs talent and how people come to grips with their flaws.
Also pointing out the romance in Tamako Love Story. Fantastic romance about a girl falling in love for the first time and coming to terms with her new feelings.

Uggh, so White Album is another "imcomplete story" with no endign then, huh...

avoid Golden Time. Koko is the cutest thing ever but that show is aggravating to the highest degree.
Pet Girl is pretty cute.
Amagami is based off a dating sim VN I think. Its literally a short romantic story with each girl.

^^
A total mess , good premise , terrible execution. Abort

- Golden Time
^^
A genuine story in a setting that you won't see much in anime, that alone make it a watch , some aspect of the show aren't that bad , but there are moments were you'll be screaming in anger.

^^
Good show, but i was bored with it because of several characters that annoyed me to no end. You should be fine , however
- Amagami SS
^^
Amagami is a good show, just watch it and post your impressions every 4 episodes

I should be fine though, huh?
Amagami looks like it really has no character developement then, huh...

Nagi no Asukara if you havent watched it already.

DO NOT watch White Album 2 unless you hate yourself.

Nagi no Asukara: Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea, interesting...

to my list. Have I really already gone through all of the really good romantic shows out there. Even the drama filled emotional charged romances out there? Man..

Jex

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to respond my queries, but rather than address all of them I'll just respond to a few.
What other reaction do you think she shows when she says "first a wolf man, now a cat girl" with a look of total disbelief on her face in episode 2?

I'd also suggests she gets fear out of the way when she's chased by a giant fire breathing dragon in the first episode, or when they're surrounded by the wolf men on arrival on Gaia at the end of the same episode.
These are all things which she acclimatises too almost instantly and that rings very hollow, not only from a character standpoint but from the experiences that human beings have. There's never any breathing room for her to settle into the world and react appropriately, they just toss out a couple of lines of dialogue as if that's the same as having a character actually come to grips with their situation.
In episode 2, one of the first things she does is ask "what's the Mystic Moon?". True, she isn't asking endless questions - but does she really need to? Very little exposition is required at this stage in the series, and all the important questions get asked later.
Once again, I think we have pretty fundamentally different expectations of human behaviour. The way that Hitomi integrates herself into a completely foreign and magical world feels completely unbelievable. What's worse, is that they give her certain character aspects you'd expect from a teenager, such as all her romance stuff but fail to give her any other characteristic of a teenager in a crazy, presumably stressful situation.
Do you think the other characters see her this way? I don't mean this as a "you're wrong!" type of comment - I just wonder what you think the other characters think about her.
I bring this up purely in terms of her place within the story. It just feels like of wrong to me that she's given these abilities e.g. her ability to predict the future, or her athleticism, and it feels like she only has these to further the plot for other (male) characters rather than achieve some goal of her own. Of course, later on in the show this could change but, at this point, pretty much every time she does anything it's to save/help Van (who must just be the shittiest warrior in the world considering how often I've seen him killed).

So I don't necessarily think it's something that other characters see in her although frankly, I'm a little hazy about how the other characters in the show think. This is because it's either not clear how they think, such as Allen, or because they're poorly written, such as Allen.

The only character who doesn't feel poorly written because they actually act like a human being pursuing their own interests, is Merle.

Saudades

- Golden Time
- White Album 2
- Amagami SS

Just finish 5 Centimeters per Second instead.
I know I'm hugely biased about that film since it hit me during a special time in my life but I think a lot of people can appreciate it just as well. You can also watch another romance film by that director called Garden of Words (Kotonoha no Niwa).

Two of my all time favorites - Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen and Millennium Actress both have some romance element as well, but I don't know if you can find it.

Wait, what?
Should've gone into it blind, man.
But if you can handle SAO then what's wrong with that?

Cornbread78

Amagami SS is one of the few romance animes that consistently made me happy. The show is divided in routes like a visual novel which allows a unique love story to happen based on the character focused on for that route. Every story is sweet in the end and it's cool seeing characters that would appear in the background during one arc get a lot more development in another due to being the center of attention.

Sakurasou is a really great show that definitely has romance in it, but is more about character drama. It deals with the hard themes of work in the arts community and talent vs. work. Despite this, the romance really does shine especially towards the end and is pretty damn satisfying for several characters.

Golden Time was made by the same people who made Toradora. It has a college setting, so the romantic aspect is tackled in a more mature and faster way. It has its weak parts but the end product is good.

White Album 2 is an intense ride. You'll hate the ending and might regret watching it but it's a very emotional and grounded look at love in general. The story is centered on a love triangle and it goes to some gut-wrenching, painful places. Still, I'd recommend it if you want a good drama.
-----------------

On the side, I'd also recommend ef: Tale of Memories. It's a truly dramatic show, and has some of the best animation I've seen in a product like this. The direction is really good especially at the most tense moments. The story is extremely heartwarming and really makes one feel good after the plot takes characters to some low places. If you want a romance anime that really goes all the way, I would highly recommend this show.

Thanks for the breakdowns, I watched the "ef" shows and Memories was definately really good!

I really don't mind the drama, the more mature stories sound great and I love a happy ending, so Golden Time doesn't sound horible at least. The white album sounds like it spends most of it's time developing a romance just to kill off the main characters, or have them kill each other, or have them both die in an accident... Which is it?

Just finish 5 Centimeters per Second instead.
I know I'm hugely biased about that film since it hit me during a special time in my life but I think a lot of people can appreciate it just as well. You can also watch another romance film by that director called Garden of Words (Kotonoha no Niwa).

Two of my all time favorites - Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen and Millennium Actress both have some romance element as well, but I don't know if you can find it.

Yeah, I watched the first 30 mins of 5 Cent and I could already tell I was gonna be sad and pissed, so I shut it off yesterday since I wasn't in the mood for it, lol. The whole tone and feel was there for tragedy... I'll have to finish it when I'm feeling a little more brave.

I also have Rurouni Kenshin on my list already, but isn't that more of a psycho thriller than anything else? I'll have to check on Garden of Words..

cajunator

Banned
Wait, what?

Uggh, so White Album is another "imcomplete story" with no endign then, huh...

I should be fine though, huh?
Amagami looks like it really has no character developement then, huh...

Nagi no Asukara: Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea, interesting...

to my list. Have I really already gone through all of the really good romantic shows out there. Even the drama filled emotional charged romances out there? Man..

Yeah Koi Kaze is a really old "relationship with sister" show, but instead of playing it up for laughs/fanservice, it actually takes the subject matter from a very serious angle.

SO the big takaways here are that they are all pretty bad, other than The Pet Girl of Sakurasou but I shoudl also add:
Nagi no Asukara: Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea
Tamako Love Story

I'd love to recommend Tatsuya Ishihara's adaptation of Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions, but there's a bit of poor composition where he and the series composer chose to immediately shift the tone from the comedy side of a romance to the drama-filled side between episodes 6 and 7. It kinda works, but it's definitely not on the same level as other shows. The less said about the sequel, the better (I'm still incredibly bitter over the poor adaptation of a new character in that sequel).

It's not straight romance, but I rather enjoyed the romance in Steins;Gate as well. I can't recall if you've watched it yet or not.

cajunator

Banned
I'd love to recommend Tatsuya Ishihara's adaptation of Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions, but there's a bit of poor composition where he and the series composer chose to immediately shift the tone from the comedy side of a romance to the drama-filled side between episodes 6 and 7. It kinda works, but it's definitely not on the same level as other shows. The less said about the sequel, the better (I'm still incredibly bitter over the poor adaptation of a new character in that sequel).

It's not straight romance, but I rather enjoyed the romance in Steins;Gate as well. I can't recall if you've watched it yet or not.

Both of these series arent really focused on romance but do have some VERY charming moments in them.

/XX/

So not only was this was Studio Ordet's 'big break' moment but Studio Trigger's as well, both new studios at the time. Studio Ordet was comprised of ex-KyoAni staff while Trigger housed ex-Gainax staff. Studio Trigger is mostly attributed with the work on the CGI sequences but my understanding is that they did a chunk of the 2D elements as well. At the time I remember the CGI was loathed, mostly because people were expecting 2D fight sequences like the Nakamura cut that we got in the OVA.
And poor Mr. Matsuura had hopes this would be a showcase piece for SANZIGEN Inc.,... dammed the ones stealing their thunder! :p

Really now, of course both studios are under the USPI's holding, truly cooperative as the companies well horizontally integrated they are, yeah... but, like CGWORLD.jp demonstrates on the articles presenting different lead animators from SANZIGEN and their respective cuts (in some it presents a clear contrast with Mr. Imaishi's own storyboards for the cuts, nonetheless), it is undeniable that SANZIGEN's technical expertise was vital for the project beyond the roles TRIGGER Inc., staff also had on it (same thing that happened with Sushio's very touted and excellent key-framing input and advice for 3DCGI scenes on the first episode of P&SwG, among others, while the actual enablers didn't enjoy the same level of praise after all).

Saudades

I also have Rurouni Kenshin on my list already, but isn't that more of a psycho thriller than anything else? I'll have to check on Garden of Words..
Nah, Rurouni Kenshin the TV series is more samurai action (and I haven't checked it yet myself), but I believe the Tsuiokuhen OVAs are considered one of the best of anime. And it's only 4 episodes!

Jex

Turn A, is indeed, the best. That series is an actual keeper, which I can't really say of any other Gundam series besides Mobile Fighter G Gundam,

White Album 2 is about a love story that "can't" happen. I don't wanna spoil too much about it but the anime does have a complete ending, it's just really sad to accept it as such. Yes, they could adapt what happens after from the Visual Novel but the actual story they told through the anime is complete. That being said this doesn't turn into a School Days like anime either.

For another romance anime I'd recommend H20: Footprints in the Sand. It's somewhat of a forbidden love type story but not of the incest kind. It can be a bit dark and depressing at times but there is a romantic reward for these moments.The ending can be interpreted many ways but it's a definitely worth watching the whole show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom