• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Just finish 5 Centimeters per Second instead.
I know I'm hugely biased about that film since it hit me during a special time in my life but I think a lot of people can appreciate it just as well. You can also watch another romance film by that director called Garden of Words (Kotonoha no Niwa).

Two of my all time favorites - Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen and Millennium Actress both have some romance element as well, but I don't know if you can find it.

Should've gone into it blind, man.
But if you can handle SAO then what's wrong with that?

This is basically what Im thinking with...well anything cornbread watches at this point.

jordisok

Weirdly reading this thread I only finished Koi Kaze the other day. Considering the subject matter it's obviously a kinda awkward (and a bit depressing) watch but gotta echo what the other said, it definitely takes the subject more seriously than I'd expected.

Also I really liked how it looked. Can't quite explain it cos it actually looks kinda jank in a lot of ways but it has a strange charm to it (especially the main 2 characters) and it just seemed to fit.

Jex

[Gintama°] - 7

I'm going to have to stick by some of the comments I've made earlier about this season of Gintama, namely that the direction feels way off. Everything just falls extremely flat whether it's comedy, drama or even horror. It's just not working.

cajunator

Banned
Weirdly reading this thread I only finished Koi Kaze the other day. Considering the subject matter it's obviously a kinda awkward (and a bit depressing) watch but gotta echo what the other said, it definitely takes the subject more seriously than I'd expected.

Also I really liked how it looked. Can't quite explain it cos it actually looks kinda jank in a lot of ways but it has a strange charm to it (especially the main 2 characters) and it just seemed to fit.

It has a simple soft style that reminds me of things like Kino's Journey and SOmeday's Dreamers.

Yeah Koi Kaze is a really old "relationship with sister" show, but instead of playing it up for laughs/fanservice, it actually takes the subject matter from a very serious angle.

"takes the subject matter seriously" is one major way to gain my attention nowadays. Some time ago I was randomly thinking about giving this show a watch (well, couldn't recall its name right then). I'll probably dip into it soon.

Conan-san

Heartcatch Precure 1-2

Look at this sob. He's the most Tatsunoko fucking thing I've seen in a long ass time.

I'm all aboard the Erika hype train and Tsubomi's nice so yeah. Why the heck not? I need something to get the taste of how Sailor Moon's been fucked sideways out of my mouth so why not it's contemporary?

Turn A, is indeed, the best. That series is an actual keeper, which I can't really say of any other Gundam series besides Mobile Fighter G Gundam,

08th MS Team.

I don't usually like Gundam at all, but 08th MS Team actually did it right. They hit the sweet spot with relatively realistic Mech combat, likeable characters, and a romance that wasn't intolerable.

I should be fine though, huh?
Amagami looks like it really has no character developement then, huh...

Amagami actually lots of develloppement.

You just need to understand how amagami tell his story... It's a clear recommendation from me. I don't know anyone who dislike this show.

cajunator

Banned
Heartcatch Precure 1-2

Look at this sob. He's the most Tatsunoko fucking thing I've seen in a long ass time.

I'm all aboard the Erika hype train and Tsubomi's nice so yeah. Why the heck not? I need something to get the taste of how Sailor Moon's been fucked sideways out of my mouth so why not it's contemporary?

Yeah I was weirded out by that thing too. Like WTF is it?

Cornbread78

White Album 2 is about a love story that "can't" happen. I don't wanna spoil too much about it but the anime does have a complete ending, it's just really sad to accept it as such. Yes, they could adapt what happens after from the Visual Novel but the actual story they told through the anime is complete. That being said this doesn't turn into a School Days like anime either.

For another romance anime I'd recommend H20: Footprints in the Sand. It's somewhat of a forbidden love type story but not of the incest kind. It can be a bit dark and depressing at times but there is a romantic reward for these moments.The ending can be interpreted many ways but it's a definitely worth watching the whole show.

Man, both are on Crunchy. Now my list just tripled with all this stuff...

Amagami actually lots of develloppement.
You just need to understand how amagami tell his story... It's a clear recommendation from me. I don't know anyone who dislike this show.

Oh, alrighty then, will do.

Puruzi

Banned
Heartcatch Precure 1-2

Best Precure series by far imo.
Erika dabes

Gintama - 272

I hope the fans of "that" other show are happy and i hope everyone has filled the papaerwork because gintama , once again went quite far in for the joke but what joke it was !

I'll never look at "kick the can" the same way ever again.

Triage X 7
A new villain and somewhat interesting fights. And I'm pretty sure they don't understand how a vaccine works. And viruses for that matter

Allaur

Alright guys getting some recs for my next romance (after I finish Air), so which from the below is good stuff; ya'll know I love 'em sappy by now, lol:

Finish Honey and Clover first. You really don't know yet what's waiting for you)
As for what you wrote...

- Gokukoku no Brynhildr: Brynhildr in the Darkness - can't say anything
- Kimi no Iru Machi: A Town Where You Live - read manga or don't watch at all
- Golden Time - beginning of the show is really promising thanks to the not weakling MC, but then it gets worse
- Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo: The Pet Girl of Sakurasou - my friends call it "light version of Honey and Clover with more anime tropes", so finish H&C first)
- White Album 2 - I enjoed the drama, but as people say - it's not finished
- Amagami SS - good show, don't know about second season, but I enjoyed first

You can add to your list Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou - most probably you'll enjoy it.
Isshuukan Friends or One week friends too.

nicolajNN

Bit of an anime newbie question, do any of you know if season 2 of Ace of Diamond be as long as season 1? I've been watching it over the past couple of weeks and really enjoyed it. Now I've caught up, and I'm trying to decide if I should wait and watch all of it, or follow it weekly. I normally don't like doing the latter with any kind of show, but if it's like 70 episodes I think I might have to do that, even though it will be like torture with the pacing of it

Cornbread78

I recommend you watch Koi Kaze instead. That's a great romance anime.
(I'm deadly serious).
watch Yami to Boshi, Cornbread.

Ok, so now we're going from Brother & Sister love to Sister & Sister love... what is going on in here....

Air ep. 1-6:
Man, the tone and feelings you get behind this show's presentation is something else. You constantly have an aura that something bad is going to happen though, which was the same at point in Clannad as well as Kanon. The creaters are masters at crafting a moment, even if you're completely confused, it all makes sense at some point. The music, the scenery, they really frame thins and use these to help push emotions. You can see the girl in the sky
Misuzu is going to die, you already know it and she is so damn cute and will die and it's Yukito's fault.
Fu(k, why do I watching these shows? uugghh....

Thoraxes

How are you storing that DTB set? It looks like it will be a pain to find space for it, like the Yuuki Yuuna blurays and NISA sets

Probably next to my Yuki Yuna and Denki-Gai sets! My NISA LEs and my TTGL BD Box set are on a shelf on my entertainment center.

2015-05-2014.26.16evobm.jpg

Also, speak of the devil, it just arrived!

2015-05-2014.31.522mo15.jpg

Definitely going to be watching some Turn A Gundam at work tonight. Fuck yeah.

My Love Story 7:
This was a pretty enjoyable episode. Something I really like about this show is the way that Suna just cuts through a lot of the bullshit that you often see in romance stories, just immediately pointing out that Yamato's worries are just a misunderstanding. I think that's the one thing that really helps this show stand out some from the crowd.

Takeo and Yamato continue to have some nice interactions, and having Takeo doing something new this episode helped it feel like more than just a retread.

cajunator

Banned
Ok, so now we're going from Brother & Sister love to Sister & Sister love... what is going on in here....

Air ep. 1-6:
Man, the tone and feelings you get behind this show's presentation is something else. You constantly have an aura that something bad is going to happen though, which was the same at point in Clannad as well as Kanon. The creaters are masters at crafting a moment, even if you're completely confused, it all makes sense at some point. The music, the scenery, they realy frame thins and use these to help push emotions. You can see the girl in the sky
Misuzu is going to die, you already know it and she is so damn cute and will die and it's Yukito's fault.
Fuck, why do I watch these shows? uugghh....

You started on that path with your very first show. We are merely furthering you along.

Probably next to my Yuki Yuna and Denki-Gai sets! My NISA LEs and my TTGL BD Box set are on a shelf on my entertainment center.

2015-05-2014.26.16evobm.jpg

Also, speak of the devil, it just arrived!

2015-05-2014.31.522mo15.jpg

Definitely going to be watching some Turn A Gundam at work tonight. Fuck yeah.

those Pony Canyon sets are amazing. A worthy investment.

Triage X - 07

Whaddya know, I actually found this episode somewhat watchable. If anything I'm looking forward to machine gun woman to go full hulk mode on those shitty twins.
The soundtrack in this is pretty good. However when the chanting started as Skull guy was doing the whole batman plane exit, I just laughed at how silly it felt.
As someone who has a mask fetish when it comes to character design (however shitty they may look), I'm very pleased with the amount of masks in this show.

What is SNAFU like? Now that a bluray is coming out Im going to watch it.

Starts off with a typical harem beginning in the first season then turns into something more like what hyouka did with character interaction if you dig a little. There's not much eechi moments outside of one occasion in the beginning. If you like the main character and how he interacts with the other cast members then youll probably like it. I find the light novel complements the anime nicely.

Puruzi

Banned
Starts off with a typical harem beginning in the first season then turns into something more like what hyouka did with character interaction if you dig a little. There's not much eechi moments outside of one occasion in the beginning. If you like the main character and how he interacts with the other cast members then youll probably like it. I find the light novel complements the anime nicely.
Well I'm never watching this.

cajunator

Banned

Sounds good to me.
Im not a fan of fanservice as yall know. But I gladly accept cute service.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't know that I would call SNAFU a harem unless you're counting Totsuka.

Although, hey, he does look fetching his meido outfit:

UuehUMn.png

BluWacky

I don't really have a huge argument with your points re: Escaflowne Jexhius - you're basically right and my love of the series transcends its flaws - but I'm going to try and respond to some of your points anyway.

These are all things which she acclimatises too almost instantly and that rings very hollow, not only from a character standpoint but from the experiences that human beings have. There's never any breathing room for her to settle into the world and react appropriately, they just toss out a couple of lines of dialogue as if that's the same as having a character actually come to grips with their situation.

Undoubtedly it's true that the show is rushed; we know for certain that one subplot in Asturia was cut due to the 39 episodes originally planned for being cut to 26. I don't know whether any of this time would have been given over to filling in the gaps - there used to be a fantastic website that went through all the deleted but animated scenes from the first few episodes but it's no longer available so I can't check what was taken out (beyond a few visions I remember). The breakneck pacing - no sooner has Hitomi arrived on Gaia then she's essentially on the run from Zaibach - is one of the things that I really like, but of course it doesn't give her any time to adjust to the situation before HAVING to adjust to it.

Once again, I think we have pretty fundamentally different expectations of human behaviour. The way that Hitomi integrates herself into a completely foreign and magical world feels completely unbelievable. What's worse, is that they give her certain character aspects you'd expect from a teenager, such as all her romance stuff but fail to give her any other characteristic of a teenager in a crazy, presumably stressful situation.

I don't think we have different expectations of human behaviour; I think I just more readily suspend my disbelief here and get swept up in atmosphere etc. without regard for realistic actions. Perhaps Hitomi's just read a lot of cheesy Western fantasy and therefore the stereotypical medieval atmosphere doesn't freak her out very much as a result :p

So I don't necessarily think it's something that other characters see in her although frankly, I'm a little hazy about how the other characters in the show think. This is because it's either not clear how they think, such as Allen, or because they're poorly written, such as Allen.

The show does much better by its characters in the second half, I feel. It's always more interested in its villains than its heroes, but I think Hitomi and Allen in particular are better served by later developments.

The only character who doesn't feel poorly written because they actually act like a human being pursuing their own interests, is Merle.

Hmmm. Although Dilandau is too off the wall to be "acting human", I would say that Folken is at least a more complex character at this stage; but then perhaps he's not been in it enough for fair comment.

As I say, I don't really DISAGREE with your points, but I don't really notice them because I find the characters endearing despite their lack of depth.

Well brace yourself as it's not going away any time soon.

This Gangsta show does look like a potentially bright spot in the darkness of the summer season but I've to know more about it before I put my hopes on it. I found Black Lagoon extremely meh and this gives me similar vibe. They even have their own male Balalaika. Anyone knows if it's a one continuous story, short separate arcs like BL or just on the episodic side of things ?

Gangsta is basically about some crazy strong oddjobers that have some great backstory, just having some fun and fighting from the little I've read.

It will surely cleanse all the ecchi harems that Summer will have.

Cornbread78

ah. So this show will bring an all new waifu wars to the forefront of my consciousness.

nope, no waifu wars needed. It's really only between a couple contenders. They are soo different it scary... Thsi show has all sorts of "situations" and is more psycological than anything else. It really makes you think and analyze the MCs actions as well as everyone else around him. It's a really really good show for that.

Spice and Wolf, how is this one? Fantasy, adventure, romance? Whaaa? Ookami to Koushinryou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom