• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sometimes fictional girls make sexual innuendo as a joke or smile without knowing that it's not okay. don't they understand that they're sending the wrong message? can i really be blamed for sexualizing the precures????

gCAGwXX.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Serial Experiments Lain is the Eve Online of MMOs.

"But Serial Experiments Lain is nothing like SAO!" you say.

Precisely.

Thoraxes

Sentai releases for September

K-On Season 1 Bluray (Dub)
Argevollen Collection 1 DVD/Bluray
My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu S1 Bluray
The Comic Artist and his Assistants DVD/Bluray
Sabagebu! - Survival Game Club! DVD/Bluray
Persona 4: The Animation Collectors Edition DVD/Bluray (Dub)

Snafu and Persona 4 are my must have for that month.
Does persona have the JP dub? If so, the edited list is my list of pickups for that month. Edit: oh shit it does. I can finally pick them up.

Really fucking good. They're getting about $273 from me that month. Well played.

Edit: looks like Comic Artist + Assistants will include the OVA episodes judging by the product listing!

PK Gaming

Euphonimum 7

Talk about a mood change. I don't have anything meaningful to add that wasn't covered already but I really liked the darker color palette. It really complimented with the dreary direction.

This show is still amazing

Saudades

The Disappearance of Conan Edogawa: The Worst Two Days in History
This looks kinda unfamiliar...Is it an anime original episode?

It's that time again.

Despera? Updates?
It's pretty dead Jim. The fact that the director change thing was only announced in a passing remark (a freaking half year ago) didn't fill me with much hope.

And I changed out of the Despera ava yesterday too lol.

Euphonimum 7

Talk about a mood change. I don't have anything meaningful to add that wasn't covered already but I really liked the darker color palette. It really complimented with the dreary direction.

This show is still amazing

My thoughts exactly. That ending with Hazuki and Kumiko killed me though lol.

cj_iwakura

It's pretty dead Jim. The fact that the director change thing was only announced in a passing remark (a freaking half year ago) didn't fill me with much hope.

And I changed out of the Despera ava yesterday too lol.

Nakamura wouldn't want us to give up that easily.

Saudades

It's a TV Special they did at the end of last year to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the anime. Aoyama helped write it too.
That title is pretty ironic - considering how it is almost a running joke that every time Conan shows up there's a murder/crime, his disappearance would probably make the city a better place.
Slated for release around the same time Aoki Uru is.
Along with season 2 for Baccano!, Shigurui and Aku no Hana!
Man that season is gonna be totally amazing.

Jarmel

Banned
Black Rock Shooter TV-1
So this is a franchise I'm already pretty well acquanted with. I actually own the BDs for the OVA somewhere and I have the BRS figurine in a random closet. I remember watching the first episode long ago and quickly dropping it. I don't even think I gave it a three episode rule watch. However despite that I've listened to a good chunk of the soundtrack due to the fantastic work of supercell (mainly ryo) along with the remix soundtrack which was outstanding.

So not only was this was Studio Ordet's 'big break' moment but Studio Trigger's as well, both new studios at the time. Studio Ordet was comprised of ex-KyoAni staff while Trigger housed ex-Gainax staff. Studio Trigger is mostly attributed with the work on the CGI sequences but my understanding is that they did a chunk of the 2D elements as well. At the time I remember the CGI was loathed, mostly because people were expecting 2D fight sequences like the Nakamura cut that we got in the OVA.
I guess they couldn't/didn't want to try and maintain that visual level for the TV series resulting in the decision to go CGI for the fights and 2D for the highschool segments. This led to a bit of a split in the production for the show as the 2D elements and the CGI battles were handled separately, hence Trigger and USP's involvement. Imaishi storyboarded and directed many of the CGI fights sequences, I think he's responsible for at least the first three episodes. He actually carries over a lot of 2D techniques into the CGI stuff such as a dynamic framerate, which can be seen in the opening bit. The camerawork/storyboarding itself is also very much in line with the Kanada animation style in that it's constantly on the move. For example:
The show sprinkles these fight sequences throughout the first episode and I'm guessing later episodes resulting in this weird dichotomy where I think the fights are supposed to be symbolic. It's a noticeable change compared to the original music video that focused solely on the fighting.

So anyway onto the show itself, first few minutes felt like I was taking a psych evaluation test and failing. First it starts off with some random poem about a bird, which they kept going back to. Then the main character acts mentally challenged and is seemingly only capable of saying two words in a row.
I think Okada was trying a bit too hard as the opening sequence just comes across as someone talking with their psychiatrist while looking at one of these:
Anyway some boring friend bonding stuff happens, leading to this bit:
I can already smell the crazy. What amazes me about this episode is how quickly it descends into madness. Most writers would have held the 2nd part of this episode off until the 2nd episode as to build up the relationship between Mato and Yumi first. Instead, a little more than 5 minutes later and the audience get this:
Kagari is something else. Holy shit. Mato's shoulders were literally shaking due to the psychological trauma. Kagari isn't home indeed. Show just straight jumped from high school action drama to a Stephen King novel. I should mention it's a little foreboding that the show has an actual counselor. I can't ever remember there being a dedicated psychologist at a school in an anime before. Anyway since Mato is too stupid to not jump into this shitstorm in the making, I'm guessing things are going to snowball. Interesting thing to note was elements like the color association. For example Yumi has a hand bracelet that is red and later Kagari states that red is all hers:
It denotes a sense of ownership on Kagari's part in that you can say the bracelet is a chain linking Yumi to Kagari. It's a subtle visual cue but appreciated since color is going to be a prominent element of the show.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Kekkai Sensen Episode 3
...Wait its over already? Holy shit.
So uh, this was a pretty good episode, yeah.

Well, SAO has been thoroughly trashed and bagged, so that must'very made you smile at least, lol.

Believe it or not I don't hate SAO. I'd even say I like some of its parts but as a whole I'm indifferent.

Mad Max Fury Road

I like some of its parts but as a whole I'm indifferent.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I like some of its parts but as a whole I'm indifferent.
Having heard like 5 different film podcasts unanimously praise the film, I can appreciate that it is probably the best action film in the modern era of blockbuster films. But for some reason, I just don't feel myself being a part of that enthusiasm.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Having heard like 5 different film podcasts unanimously praise the film, I can appreciate that it is probably the best action film in the modern era of blockbuster films. But for some reason, I just don't feel myself being a part of that enthusiasm.

It is called hype backlash.

Syrinx

Another 7

Sensei pls

I know I'm wasting my time asking this since this story is stupid and the characters are stupid...but why isn't every goddamn student in that class making a break for it?

phaze

^Not sure about the best but he certainly shines in this arc after the lackluster Nise introduction.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 18-19
I may have said this before but Haruhi really is the worst drama queen ever. To throw a
600 year long fit
over something so inconsequential. Sasuga her.

I bow my head to the people who watched all of Endless Eight. Even when watching only half of it, I wanted to <Classified Information> myself.

^Not sure about the best but he certainly shines in this arc after the lackluster Nise introduction.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 18-19

I may have said this before but Haruhi really is the worst drama queen ever. To throw a
600 year long fit
over something so inconsequential. Sasuga her.

I bow my head to the people who watched all of Endless Eight. Even when watching only half of it, I wanted to <Classified Information> myself.

Kyon-kun denwa, motherfucker.

I dunno, Endless Eight was truly s.th. special. Perhaps it's because I wasn't aware I was in this 'endless eight' arc but I really was like "holy shit, this HAS to be the last episode now, right? This couldn't possible be drawn out any longer...." Kind of exhilarating. Rewatching the episodes with different framing etc. was sort of interesting too. Of course, I at some point just did something else while running the show on my second display but damn if it ain't some unique insanity to actually go through with repeating the plot of an episode another whole 7 times in a row.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Hibike Euphonium 7
Okay, i think this is my personal AOTS. Using rainy weather and muted color scene to show the situation that happened between Aoi and Kaori. The situation that happened in the club is something that happened to me before, so i can relate to them. Thing like seniority and the burden of being president (not that i ever become president in my club, lol) heated discussion with each party having different priorites. There's a hidden depth in Asuka usual behavior as well, with the junior feeling that she feel...distant and not showing her true colour.

Great episode.

Thoraxes

Oh yeah, this came in today.

2015-05-1915.12.411yq1i.jpg

I really wish Funimation used better materials for their packaging though. Something harder for the outside.

TRSI did a flawless job with making sure it was aptly protected, and I probably have about 20 feet of wrapping paper it was secured in just sitting in my room right now, so I know it wasn't on them. The little bump had to have happened before they sent it to me.

All in all, it's nice.

Mabufu

Banned
Haruhi really is the BEST drama queen ever.

Fix'd. Come on, there's a lot of drama queens in the world, but noone can bully the world the way Haruhi does : D

Also, she doesnt do it on purpose. She have powers that obey her subconscious/deepest wishes.

Plus, I think that the things that can build up and transform the way or the things the subconscious thinks, are the small, tiny, life details and events, you cant even care about or notice, but you just internalize for some reason, and you act according to them without even knowing.

So, the thing that can end the endless eight, can really be such a small, stupid thing.
The subconscious can be tricky and weird.

You know, thinking about how often rain and cloudy weather is used to portray a depressive atmosphere I was reminded of The Garden of Words where it had a much more positive connotation, which was just kinda nice for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom