• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewlmyc

I wish I liked Fate/Zero enough to spend that kind of money.

It's honestly cheaper to import a UK BD player and import from there. I did that for the Fate/Zero, Madoka, and Gurren Lagann BDs. Also the Code Geass BDs since those have never been released in the US.

It's honestly cheaper to import a UK BD player and import from there. I did that for the Fate/Zero, Madoka, and Gurren Lagann BDs. Also the Code Geass BDs since those have never been released in the US.

Aniplex of Japan is getting stricter on UK releases now, so this may not be a viable strategy any longer. They have to protect their NA side as best they can from the cheap and/or entitled fans.

Code Geass is slowly getting to the US, but Sunrise is focusing on a venture that earns more for them (publishing Gundam in the US with TRSI as a distributor). The materials will get to Funi, but given how cheap the companies are, it's likely not in a rush.

Thoraxes

I'd pay the UK prices for F/Z, Madoka, and Geass though. Funimation looks like they're not going to touch Geass for a long time anyways.

I had no problem dishing for the TTGL BD-BOX, but that's more of the value I place on that show than anything.

cajunator

Banned
Javac, Gunsmith Cats is one of my all time favorites. I cant even tell you how many times Ive watched it. It has the feel of one of thos rated R cop action movies from the 90s. Great character design, witty dialogue, intriguing storylines, and marvelous music that was so good Cowboy Bebop used its style. Have you watched Riding Bean? Its somewhat related.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Wildcard is Sensei, lol.

Seriously though, this show has been great thus far this season, especially that last episode...

Thinking about it though, Plastic Memories, Danmachi and SNAFU Too should all be up there. I can't say much about Show by Rock, Soma or The band one since I haven't watched them yet. Those are end of season marathon's for me. Fruit of Grisaia S2 has also been really good.

Sensei is a perfect fit for Hikigaya lol, calm, cool, collected and an onee-san type. Plastic Memories had a rough start imo but has improved quite well through the episodes and I'm loving it. Danmach has hestia so yeah, good show.

I really like SNAFU but it's far from AOTS let alone AOTY. It has some good stuff in it though.

That boner scene in Kekkai justified my AOTS even though Arslan Senki is coming in real close.
I really like SNAFU but it's far from AOTS let alone AOTY. It has some good stuff in it though.
It has some good stuff in it though.
some good stuff

It has some good stuff in it....?

Someone hold me back before I tear in someone.

Uh huh. I'm onto you.

AOTY will probably be Shirobako. I cant imagine anything better this year. If there is, then it should be godly. SNAFU is easily the AOTS for me, and a solid #1.5-#2 for AOTY so far.

Shirobako was good but it has its ups and downs in the show and has trouble identifying itself as a show since its so meta lol. It does a really good job on delivering though, definitely top 10 if not top 5.

javac

Javac, Gunsmith Cats is one of my all time favorites. I cant even tell you how many times Ive watched it. It has the feel of one of thos rated R cop action movies from the 90s. Great character design, witty dialogue, intriguing storylines, and marvelous music that was so good Cowboy Bebop used its style. Have you watched Riding Bean? Its somewhat related.
Yup its a really good OVA, exactly like those old rated R cop movies, you're right. Had a lot of fun with this one, and I've been going on an OVA binge, feels really good to finally watch those old classics I've been meaning to watch for God knows how long, very overdue but good things come to those who wait, and I'm having a blast. Love the designs, some of my favorite in a long time. The right amount of cute, professional and feisty. Gunsmith Cats is a spin off of Riding Bean, right? I haven't seen it but will add it to my watch list for sure.
Nice post. Gunsmith Cats is a classic.
Thanks, I can see why its revered and loved :)

Zephyx

SNAFU S2 8

Wow. This chapter delivered everything and more I imagined while reading the LN. The sensei speech and reaction. The atmosphere. The monologues. The gestures. The FEELS. Experiencing that in anime form was amazing.

Impressions:
- That crying face was so weird but people do not look good when they cry so I guess they're being realistic there.
-
The sensei blush came out of nowhere. Someone marry her already. Please.
-
That Yui face when Hachiman let go of her hand. I feel bad.
-
That zoom when Isshiki grabbed Hachiman's sleeve. Can't believe they even thought of doing that.
-
Yukino crying was just icing to the cake.

Really loved this episode especially the way the studio delivered on the key moments. I'm looking forward to the next one as I presume it will have both
Yukino's request for help and Isshiki's rejection

As for other animes I'm following this season, I'm a little out of time to watch them this week so I guess I'll do them next week if my time permits. Planning to add Kekkai Sensen, Danmachi and Grisaia to my watch list so it'll be a bit hectic.

I'd pay the UK prices for F/Z, Madoka, and Geass though. Funimation looks like they're not going to touch Geass for a long time anyways.

I had no problem dishing for the TTGL BD-BOX, but that's more of the value I place on that show than anything.
(Not refuting anything you said; adding my 2 cents in the conversation w/context)

I'm pretty much import-only at this point. The complete failure of the NA industry outside of the Aniplex releases on BD to have video that doesn't screw with the brightness levels/color saturation has pushed me away from everywhere. Even Sevakis is completely clueless after I pointed out the issues on Toradora's release last year. This also allows me not to worry about a release not getting a BD release as most of the titles get one.

It makes me pickier, but I'm not a fan of most productions today for various reasons, so I'm fine with that. Given what I've gotten thus far and what I plan to get, it's probably going to be limited to:

Hyouka BD v1-11 (includes extras not on the BD-Box)
K-On!/!! BD-Boxes
Nichijou v1 (for textless OP/ED)
Tamako Market BD-Box (From KyoAni Shop w/"How we made Tamako Market" booklet; also includes storyboards for episodes 2/9 which are utterly fantastic to review)
Euphonium v1-7 (From KyoAni Shop w/Art Works booklets and illustrated cards)
Eva BD-Box
(Hopefully) Animator Expo BD set(s)

The obvious argument against me is "You could buy so much more in the NA market!" but, quite simply, I don't care about more titles. I'd rather save and buy these than piss away money on titles I won't watch in 2 years (most of my previous collection, which got given away/sold to used bookstore). If there's a title I love, I'm going to get it regardless of cost.

SNAFU S2 8

Wow. This chapter delivered everything and more I imagined while reading the LN. The sensei speech and reaction. The atmosphere. The monologues. The gestures. The FEELS. Experiencing that in anime form was amazing.

Impressions:
- That crying face was so weird but people do not look good when they cry so I guess they're being realistic there.
-
The sensei blush came out of nowhere. Someone marry her already. Please.
-
That Yui face when Hachiman let go of her hand. I feel bad.

That face was pretty effective. Normally I'm conditioned to not give a shit when characters cry but damn that
ugly ass fish eyes face really got me. Did a great job showing how much pain Hachiman was in.

As much as I like Yui a lot the only reason the series is good is because of 8man, so basically he's the one that holds the show together. If he wasn't there it would just be filled with unnecessary drama by the other girls. Not to say I don't enjoy the series because I do it's just just that the other characters don't add that much other than drama. 8man basically adds another layer to each conflict to a situation that's fueled by drama.

Just saying that the reason the LN differentiates itself from other LNs that have a similar premise is because of 8man's cynical perspective as a individual and how he approaches situations. Trust me my favorite character is Yui and I still know that her and the other girls don't really add much. But yeah I like the series and think it's good but I don't think it's amazing and all, still love it though. All this is my opinion by the way.

javac

Very informative post, really enjoyed reading that! I'll be sure to watch this soon.

Thanks, I'm really glad you enjoyed it :) I too had fun writing about the OVA, but I often find it hard to write at times, with severe case of writers block so it feels nice when I write something that convinces somebody to give something I loved a go. I really hope that you enjoy it :)

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
As much as I like Yui a lot the only reason the series is good is because of 8man, so basically he's the one that holds the show together. If he wasn't there it would just be filled with unnecessary drama by the other girls. Not to say I don't enjoy the series because I do it's just just that the other characters don't add that much other than drama. 8man basically adds another layer to each conflict to a situation that's fueled by drama.

Just saying that the reason the LN differentiates itself from other LNs that have a similar premise is because of 8man's cynical perspective as a individual and how he approaches situations. Trust me my favorite character is Yui and I still know that her and the other girls don't really add much. But yeah I like the series and think it's good but I don't think it's amazing and all, still love it though. All this is my opinion by the way.

Oh no I know its your opinion lol, I'm just voicing how odd it is I find people find the show okay since we rarely get fleshed out characters/narratives like this, plus no copious amounts of unnecessary fanservice to keep the viewer watching. Hachiman is the story, which is why its written in his perspective. Of course any show would crumble down to nothing if the main character is removed because 90% of the show is through his eyes and his actions lol

Thoraxes

(Not refuting anything you said; adding my 2 cents in the conversation w/context)

I'm pretty much import-only at this point. The complete failure of the NA industry outside of the Aniplex releases on BD to have video that doesn't screw with the brightness levels/color saturation has pushed me away from everywhere. Even Sevakis is completely clueless after I pointed out the issues on Toradora's release last year. This also allows me not to worry about a release not getting a BD release as most of the titles get one.

It makes me pickier, but I'm not a fan of most productions today for various reasons, so I'm fine with that. Given what I've gotten thus far and what I plan to get, it's probably going to be limited to:

Hyouka BD v1-11 (includes extras not on the BD-Box)
K-On!/!! BD-Boxes
Nichijou v1 (for textless OP/ED)
Tamako Market BD-Box (From KyoAni Shop w/"How we made Tamako Market" booklet; also includes storyboards for episodes 2/9 which are utterly fantastic to review)
Euphonium v1-7 (From KyoAni Shop w/Art Works booklets and illustrated cards)
Eva BD-Box
(Hopefully) Animator Expo BD set(s)

The obvious argument against me is "You could buy so much more in the NA market!" but, quite simply, I don't care about more titles. I'd rather save and buy these than piss away money on titles I won't watch in 2 years (most of my previous collection, which got given away/sold to used bookstore). If there's a title I love, I'm going to get it regardless of cost.

Oh I totally agree with you, especially when quality and performance are concerned. However, with regards to Euphonium, you should have no worries there. PONYCAN US, so far, seems to maintain that high quality standard on par with AOA (Denki-Gai in particular uses a 50GB disc for 4 episodes, and it shows) . I honestly try to stay away from a lot of the Funimation releases because of the compromises in video quality.

My original point was just that i'm not as enthusiastic as others when it comes to something like Fate/Zero. I'm more than happy to pay premium for the shows I like if the quality is there to match.

Cornbread78

Poor Yui though, Hiki doesn't even know how bad he just
hurt her feelings by doing that, or does he? He hasn't implied if be knows her feelings or not.
Great episode. I'm routing for Sensei!

Oh no I know its your opinion lol, I'm just voicing how odd it is I find people find the show okay since we rarely get fleshed out characters/narratives like this, plus no copious amounts of unnecessary fanservice to keep the viewer watching. Hachiman is the story, which is why its written in his perspective. Of course any show would crumble down to nothing if the main character is removed because 90% of the show is through his eyes and his actions lol

I was just trying to say that all the other characters other than 8man don't add much to the series. But yeah I highly appreciate the series for not using unnecessary fanservice.

Plus Kagura in Gintama

How could I forget this.

hurt her feelings by doing that, or does he? He hasn't implied if be knows her feelings or not.

Maybe he'll truly understand when the series gets close to the end.

I felt bad for her too. As much as I hate it I think if he ends up with someone, it'll be Yukino.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Oh he knows based on his gestures. This show does a very good job of portraying emotions not only through voices but gestures as well. He just doesn't want to complicate the position he is in as being friends with the two of them.

Zephyx

That face was pretty effective. Normally I'm conditioned to not give a shit when characters cry but damn that
ugly ass fish eyes face really got me. Did a great job showing how much pain Hachiman was in.

Upon seeing that, I'm now self-conscious when I cry. But I do agree is was a great way of showing
pain
. The eye movement as he was finding the right words to say was a great gesture as well.

I respect his opinion since I also think this anime, especially this genre, is not for everyone. Most people I know prefer action-heavy sequences than slice-of-life or high school setups as they feel the rush or excitement when they watch it.
I don't feel that way though.
More or less, it just boils down to taste which can be determined by a lot of factors.

Still, I like it given how it differentiates itself from other shows I've watched. I can say it is one of my favorites among all I've watched over the past few years.

Well, it's basically HIS show as he is the main protagonist and his side is the only one exposed to us most of the time. I do understand the complaint though as the drama is furthered by conflict due to the main character's perspective in life but that's the beauty of it, IMO. I guess I just find him more relatable than the other MCs out there as I share some of the cynical perspective he has.

As for how it differentiates itself with other LNs, I don't think it's a valid criticism as every other medium you find out there tries to find a way to differentiate itself from others. It's not like it's done poorly so I don't find what is bad at all.

But as you say, it all boils down to our opinions.

I dont think there was any romantic stuff in that scene.
She made that face cause she thought Hikki wasnt gonna go with her to chase Yukino. When he said "I can walk fine myself, lets go" her expression changes pretty much instantly.

But yeah. Yui's never win. I've come to accept that :(

Upon seeing that, I'm now self-conscious when I cry. But I do agree is was a great way of showing
pain
. The eye movement as he was finding the right words to say was a great gesture as well.

Yup. His micro-gestures were fantastic.

I'm just gonna rewatch that scene again. So well done.

Rin-ne 6

This show is so great, why does this have to be a 2-part episode? I want to watch part 2 now! Rumiko Takahashi's one of the better anime/manga writers, particularly for comedies, and it's great to see a new anime, it really is... and it's better that the anime is as good as it is. Sure, the series has that weird comedy/drama split, how it often tries to be funny while telling tragic stories (because it's a series about shinigamis), but it usually works, impressively enough.

So yeah, this episode is the first half of a little story arc where a rival is introduced, a devil who has stolen the soul of a boy who hit his head after a "bike accident" (just watch the show, it's funny stuff how it happened) and hasn't woken up since. Of course, this devil guy hates Rinne, so the episode is all about their rivalry and the devils' attempts to get the spirit of the boy to hate his (living human) girlfriend and friend. There are so many ridiculous situations, it's great fun! I don't want to spoil much, just watch the show. Of what I've watched so far this is the best show this season.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid 2-6

I said in my review of the first episode that this series is alright, but the complete lack of any explanation of anything that happened in the previous season, StrikerS, is a problem. I watched that show, but forget most of it because it was 7+ years ago and the show definitely wasn't good enough to try to remember the details of. Well, they didn't fix this issue, unfortunately. More characters have been (re-)introduced without any explanation for who they are. Seriously, this is a pretty bad way to do a followup, considering the time gap between seasons. I remember Nanoha, Fate, Subaru, Tia, Caro, Erio, and Vivio, but that's about it. Was Subaru's sister in StrikerS? I have no idea, I don't remember her. The same goes for this pink-haired girl and her mother in episodes 5-6; I forget who they are, but from reading a little online I guess they were villains before or something, but no mention of that is made here, they're good now.

On a note of the characters, where have the animal-people gone? You know, Nanoha had that.. .was it cat or dog?-human woman companion, and Fate had a dog/human guy. I remember both appeared in StrikerS locked into their animal forms only, for absolutely no reason whatsoever, but that's just one of many examples of how that show was badly written. I forget, did the end of that show explain why they're absent so far from this one, or not?

The plot here isn't much better than the confusing character roster, either; so far there isn't much of a plot beyond 'let's figure out about what went on in ancient Belka that's messed up the new kind-of-a-jerk rival girl so much' . This girl is Vivio's rival / "friend", but she's got issues and is kind of mean, though Vivio has been too oblivious to notice most of the time. It's a pretty low-key plot so far compared to any previous season, that's for sure. It's not BAD, it's just not anything serious at all, six episodes in. I guess that's okay, but the franchise was best in the first two seasons, when the plot moved much more quickly. This isn't like that at all, that's for sure. Through episode five, it's a mostly slow-paced show more about slice-of-life stuff, sometimes unpleasantly creepy fanservice, and some minor drama about rival girl's past, with occasional fights and a frustrating lack of beam spam...

Until episode 6, which is by a mile the best episode of the season so far! In this episode, 12 characters, including almost all of the main cast of the series (only the animal people and the guy from season 1 are missing), broken up into two 6-person teams in a practice match fighting eachother. And it's great, loaded with action, beam spam, and more.
It was nice to see rival girl finally lose. Nanoha's beam spam wins, you lose! :)
The episode ends with the match incomplete, so I'm looking forward to the next episode. It took six episodes, but finally there's something in this show that made it good, for a little while anyway.

pain

I respect his opinion since I also think this anime, especially this genre, is not for everyone. Most people I know prefer action-heavy sequences than slice-of-life or high school setups as they feel the rush or excitement when they watch it.
More or less, it just boils down to taste which can be determined by a lot of factors.

Still, I like it given how it differentiates itself from other shows I've watched. I can say it is one of my favorites among all I've watched over the past few years.

Well, it's basically HIS show as he is the main protagonist and his side is the only one exposed to us most of the time. I do understand the complaint though as the drama is furthered by conflict due to the main character's perspective in life but that's the beauty of it, IMO. I guess I just find him more relatable than the other MCs out there as I share some of the cynical perspective he has.

As for how it differentiates itself with other LNs, I don't think it's a valid criticism as every other medium you find out there tries to find a way to differentiate itself from others. It's not like it's done poorly so I don't find what is bad at all.

But as you say, it all boils down to our opinions.

No I actually like the series it's just I don't find it amazing. It's still good though.

Rin-ne 4-6

This series really needs some kind of antagonist, truly hoping the guy at the end of episode 6 who was teased ends up giving our main characters some kind of objective to work towards. Overall I like the series, want to love it but I can't something just doesn't click with me.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G Episode 23 (EngDub)
CF0Fo5XWEAAFpHl.png

Precious Chrono smiling. Nice.

Great fun episode of teamwork. I had scene some images before and wondered why they were cosplaying or posing on pillows, but in context it was just as hilarious as I imagined. These are some great teambuilding activities that are better than the dull outdoors obstacle courses that people do IRL.

Interdimensional Dragon, Epoch Maker Dragon was the best card.

Zephyx

I think Yui just thought
she was giving up on Yukino. It still hurts though.

The realistic route would be that he ends up with nobody.

Yep. I think this is the most logical outcome. Maybe he doesn't end up together with anybody but I think he will do something for love or that genuine thing he wants before the story ends. Or maybe he will make a promise that he intends to keep in the future.

No I actually like the series it's just I don't find it amazing. It's still good though.

No worries. :) I probably misworded some of my thoughts there but I can see why you would say that.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G Episode 23 (EngDub)
CF0Fo5XWEAAFpHl.png

Precious Chrono smiling. Nice.

Great fun episode of teamwork. I had scene some images before and wondered why they were cosplaying or posing on pillows, but in context it was just as hilarious as I imagined. These are some great teambuilding activities that are better than the dull outdoors obstacle courses that people do IRL.

Interdimensional Dragon, Epoch Maker Dragon was the best card.

THAT HAIR !!!

Look at that hair !!

I feel like something got stuck in ...well ..you know ...

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

i was fooling around with that statement, everyone enjoys a different cup of tea but i do agree with you.

Oh I totally agree with you, especially when quality and performance are concerned. However, with regards to Euphonium, you should have no worries there. PONYCAN US, so far, seems to maintain that high quality standard on par with AOA (Denki-Gai in particular uses a 50GB disc for 4 episodes, and it shows) . I honestly try to stay away from a lot of the Funimation releases because of the compromises in video quality.

My original point was just that i'm not as enthusiastic as others when it comes to something like Fate/Zero. I'm more than happy to pay premium for the shows I like if the quality is there to match.

It's not so much the filesize that's important, but the encoding. The Japanese publishers just plump up the files to alleviate banding instead of encoding. It doesn't always work though. I'm kinda irritated at IMAGICA/Pony Canyon on K-On! S1 ep 11 and the ending credits for Tamako Love Story for the banding there. It's the encoding that's the issue, not the size as people think.

Pony could easily fit 4 episodes and bonus materials on a 25 GB disc though; Kadokawa did that for Haruhi's 2006 episode BD-Box and that had two audio tracks per episode, which could be used for the bonus content. Not like it's a big deal in that situation as the price negates any cost savings reasoning behind it. Sevakis authored YuYuYu, which is why it's on a 25 GB disc instead of a 50 GB (and why its colors are likely off there too).

I've just restricted myself from buying anything that isn't "must-buy" status now. That extra money goes a long way for aiding the shows I love like OST CDs or novels (which I'm really getting into after Euphonium). If you're not going to re-watch something, why buy it? My shrinking spare time isn't worth that.

[Escaflowne] - 13

For reference, this is what I'm talking about when I refer to bad and rushed writing in this series. All these scenes take place in one episode:

This happens when you take a 39 episode series, squeeze it into 26 episodes, and try to keep all of the plot and action. Something has to give, and it's any kind of drawing-out in the pacing, any side-bits not related to the main plot, and such. The show is great despite, and sort of because of, that, though; yeah, the pace is CRAZY, but it's one of the things I love about it!

Milky Holmes S2 Completed

So that ending was kinda shitty, but expected I guess. The group losing their Toys over and over isn't quite as funny as it's made out to be, and it's disappointing that it's basically the exact same ending as the first season had. Gotta leave room for sequels somehow, I guess!

Overall I didn't enjoy this as much as I did the first season. Weirdly, while this season had much more of a plot to it with the threat of the school being closed down, Milky Holmes themselves don't appear to have as prominent a goal - or at least they don't act like they do. The majority of the humour in S1 came from the group's naive attempts at getting their Toys back and demonstrating what horrible detectives they actually are despite being famous throughout the academy, their blind optimism causing them to take any chance they could get their hands on if it meant they could become true detectives again and regain their former glory.

For most of S2 no such ambition appears to exist. The first two episodes may have been the most frustrating attempts at comedy I've seen in quite some time as it misconstrues why the original is funny. By removing their drive to become detectives, these episodes essentially destroy Milky Holmes' likability, becoming pig-headed and ignorant to the rest of the cast. This merely renders them insufferable rather than endearing, especially given that we aren't given an explanation for as to why they become farmers and abandon detectivehood (even though they still live in the academy!) Hell, the only reason we're given for them forgetting the very existence of Toys despite them living in a detective academy is "we forgot about them while trying to survive!" which is an extremely lacklustre excuse for throwing their entire motivation for the last season out the window. Stupidity by itself is not enjoyable to watch.

That being said, the later episodes do pull themselves together in terms of actually being entertaining and much less infuriating to watch - I particularly remember enjoying episode 6. I don't have a whole lot to say about them other than that because they're pretty much a continuation of the first season. I'm still not sure if I actually found Lard Boy being the season's big bad funny as opposed to simply absurd, though.

OP and ED were pretty much by the numbers, the animation was still alright with no memorable quality slips and the music was still serviceable as far as background music goes. Not outstanding, but not awful either.
Yeah, Milky Holmes S1 was pretty good stuff, wasn't it? Sadly, it's the best season of the show, none of the others match it... but S2 comes the closest. I agree that season 2 has issues, though; I didn't like how they rehashed the "they lose their powers" plot, it's not as consistently funny as the first season, it amps up the stupidity to annoying levels at times, and some more things, but it got pretty good later on, and the last few episodes of season 2 were great! That's fortunate, because I entirely agree with you that the first two episodes were almost insufferable and get the characters completely wrong. At least the series eventually got better, though the weak parts definitely put it behind season 1 overall.

Overall it was a pretty decent experience marred by an awful opening couple of episodes, but by the end it began wearing thin - I've heard bad things about Futari wa Milky Holmes, could someone clarify exactly why it isn't as well liked?

One thing's for sure: it's no Ojamajo Doremi.
Futari wa Milky Holmes? It should have been called We Are Feathers, because Milky Holmes themselves rarely appear... "We Are Feathers" is my nickname for the show. And yes, it's not very good, neither funny nor any good at drama. It is a short series though (short episodes), and the most recent series of the anime is better, so... watch Feathers anyway. If nothing else, it'll at least make it much funnier when they keep getting bad stuff happen to them in the last season! :) It's not a HORRIBLE series, just kind of boring.

On the note of horrible, however... Do consider skipping the awful 2-episode Milky Holmes OVA series, though, unless you want a serious-drama version of Milky Holmes with some haremey elements (with the Milky Holmes girls and their British detective teacher guy). I hated this both for how serious the plot was and for that haremey stuff, I'm not sure which was worse...

Fortunately, the most recent series of the anime's much better. It's not quite up to the level of the first two seasons, but it's close to season 2, at least. Oddly, even though they have their powers back, they don't fight as often here as before; this is about contests, rather than fights. Too many characters only appear in minimal cameos, too, unfortunately. It's too bad that nothing else in the franchise matches up to the first season, but it was great to see another Milky Holmes season that was actually amusing, which this season is. It gets better as it goes along, too, so definitely stick with it. Milky Holmes are the stars again, it's actually funny fairly regularly, and more. Versus season 2, the most recent season has no highs as high as the last few episodes of S2, but I don't know if it got quite as annoyingly dumb as the first two episodes, either, so there is that. It's nothing great, but I did enjoy it.

Rin-ne 4-6

This series really needs some kind of antagonist, truly hoping the guy at the end of episode 6 who was teased ends up giving our main characters some kind of objective to work towards. Overall I like the series, want to love it but I can't something just doesn't click with me.
It's a comedy, not a drama. There are antagonists, some of which you have met and some who have not appeared much yet, so there are more antagonists who will be added to the cast, but it's not a battle series, it's a comedy, so it only infrequently takes it seriously. This is more Ranma than Inuyasha, in that respect. And I think it works fine just as it is, not everything needs to be a drama! This show has a lot more serious drama than Ranma, what with all the spirits of the dead, but it doesn't focus on tragedy even when it's present, which is a style I mostly like.

B Gata H Kei ep. 10-END:
There it is, and we're done here folks! LOL, LOL, LOL. This show was funny, can you tell?! Poor Yamada keeps her lewd antics up all the way to the final episode, but there is, actually, also a softer side to it as well as you watch the two grow up in the relationship (if that’s what you want to call it) and some romance in it as well. I love comedies that are not afraid to be dirty and use childish humor, ala American Pie, Road Trip, etc; they are just fun to watch. There are obviously some flaws in the storyline and supporting cast, but who cares when you have great leads (including Yamada’s bestie, Takeshita, who is hilarious throughout as she deals with Yamada’s lewd mind and intentions… I would recommend this to anyone that is just looking for a laugh and is not offended by childish lewd comedy.
Yeah, B Gata H Kei is pretty decent. If you want to see the rest of the story, though, you'll have to read the manga; the anime does not finish the manga, unfortunately. And that is too bad, because the manga finished, and has a good, solid ending, too! Yeah, uncommon stuff for anime/manga.

Manga spoilers
That "Yamada's First Time" thing that they called the series in English? That does actually happen in the manga, near the end. There's some drama beforehand, but I won't say more.

On the other hand, we never learn what her first name is. Seriously, it's kind of weird, how many mangas never tell you the main character's first name while so many other characters do have both first and last names?

Anyway, yeah, if you haven't, definitely watch/read Seitokai Yakuendomo. SYD is great stuff.

I seriously think SYD is legit one of the funniest show's i've ever watched, but not in the sense of, like, Nichijou with single amazing jokes or Nichibros with consistent high quality. It's just... so lewd.

Without actually being all that lewd. It's almost entirely wordplay.

The manga is funny, but not nearly as funny as the show.
I wouldn't put it quite on Nichijou's level, because the humor in SYD is so one-note while Nichijou has more variety, but yeah, it is one of the better anime comedies out there. It's often pretty funny stuff. I hope they make more of the anime, it is better than the manga.

No argument there. I love the music from Angel beats, so good. That was still probably my biggest surprise ending this year. I had no idea that was coming since I hadn't seen anyone talk about it here. I just saw the chick with teh gun, lol. Soo Good!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDSzGD8SBAk

You know, the whole time I watched that series, I was always left waiting for Angel to jump on stage and perform because of the opening visuals...

Seriously, I thought somene said here that is was just Cannon, Air and Clannad. Well, so far I've finished Kanon, Clannad and Angel Beats, so I just have Air and Little Busters left... battle of the feels...
I really love Kanon and Angel Beats, of course, I've said that before in animegaf plenty of times. I saw Kanon 2002 first, so that's a nostalgic favorite of mine, horrible art or no. Air is okay too, though it's a bit too depressing. I just couldn't stay interested in Clannad, though; I only watched a few episodes before dropping it. Maybe I should try again. The same goes for Little Busters. And on a related note, I thought Kyoani was pretty good for a while in the mid '00s, but haven't watched much of their stuff in some time now...

Anyway, yeah, Angel Beats has a fantastic soundtrack.

Cornbread78

I think Yui just thought
she was giving up on Yukino. It still hurts though.
Yep. I think this is the most logical outcome. Maybe he doesn't end up together with anybody but I think he will do something for love or that genuine thing he wants before the story ends. Or maybe he will make a promise that he intends to keep in the future.
No worries. :) I probably misworded some of my thoughts there but I can see why you would say that.

It's a tough read, she didn't cru about it or anything and of course, she would hide any negative reaction from him at that moment. That whole sequence was about the three of them finally
whipping the slate clean and laying it all on the line for one another; that would be the real thing/genuine

I dont think there was any romantic stuff in that scene.
She made that face cause she thought Hikki wasnt gonna go with her to chase Yukino. When he said "I can walk fine myself, lets go" her expression changes pretty much instantly.
But yeah. Yui's never win. I've come to accept that :(
Yup. His micro-gestures were fantastic.
I'm just gonna rewatch that scene again. So well done.

Yeah, I watched it for a third time last night to make sure I got to see everything going on. Her emotions didn't show anguish externally, but only we know what is going in internally..

I felt bad for her too. As much as I hate it I think if he ends up with someone, it'll be Yukino.

Yukino is the most logical choice, no doubt about it. They would make the best match and help each other the most. Yui is the best girl, but, but, would she be the best match for him?

The realistic route would be that he ends up with nobody.

Very well could be, but now that this very important corner has been turned, let's see what happens. He is learning and changing for the better. I mean, look at that blush moment with sensei, that was some sly, cool-headed stuff right there.

Cornbread78

Yeah, B Gata H Kei is pretty decent. If you want to see the rest of the story, though, you'll have to read the manga; the anime does not finish the manga, unfortunately. And that

Anyway, yeah, if you haven't, definitely watch/read Seitokai Yakuendomo. SYD is great stuff.

I really love Kanon and Angel Beats, of course, I've said that before in animegaf plenty of times. I saw Kanon 2002 first, so that's a nostalgic favorite of mine, horrible art or no. Air is okay too, though it's a bit too depressing. I just couldn't stay interested in Clannad, though; I only watched a few episodes before dropping it. Maybe I should try again. The same goes for Little Busters. And on a related note, I thought Kyoani was pretty good for a while in the mid '00s, but haven't watched much of their stuff in some time now...

Anyway, yeah, Angel Beats has a fantastic soundtrack.

B Gata was a lot of fun. I love childish crude humor, so it kept me very entertained. Plus, the whole set up with her being the super awkward, but highly aggressive one was hilarious in itself.

Seitokai Yakuendomo huh. What's this one about? I'll have to look it up.

I'm going to o start Little Busters soon as I've heard it's pretty good, plus it has baseball in it, so it's a bonus, lol. Now, in regards to Clannad if you like Slice of life dramas, this is a serious must watch, and must post/share. The first season may be slow at times, however, it is one big set up for Clannad After Story which was amazing. I mean a complete whirlwind of events and emotions. So much so that the last 8-10 episodes should be watched back to survive.

Jintor

SYD is literally just 'generic everyman goes to a girls school, is forced into the student council, almost everyone is either the straight man or makes lewd jokes 24/7'. There's no real plot.

It's kind of like Suzumiya Haruhi if instead of the SOS Brigade being a bunch of weird crap it was just about making as many lewd jokes as possible in twenty minutes.

I think her complacency and indecisiveness would drive Hiki to drink though..
Nothing wrong with that, right ;)

They're really good together. Hikki turns on "big brother" mode when he's around her so they play off nicely with each other. I'm slowly starting to embrace #TeamIroha.
lVePcsN.png
I love that she's such a foxy girl lol. Although she might look cute, under that disguise there's an evil, scheming woman.

Iroha has surpassed the other 2.
tumblr_nnaezfqsxY1tiivhqo1_r1_500.gif
irohas2cute4me

Arslan 08
NOW THAT my friends was a good episode. I have been watching and whatever, but I was getting kinda bummed with the speed of things. Now that the party is together, and kicking ass I am enjoying this a lot more. This week's episode was great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom